Chapter 4. Quest
3.5k 6 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The road to Earl Creek's estate took a certain amount of time.

Throughout the entire trip, I looked out the window, thinking about exactly how I would conduct the upcoming conversation with the count. More precisely, what line of behavior will I choose. After all, the system has already determined all the elections for me.

An hour and a half later, the servant stopped at the estate, the size of which turned out to be somewhat smaller than my own. In fact, I was already here a month ago when I first tried to negotiate with this nasty man. But in the end, our conversation led to nothing, and his people showed up at my door again a week later.

I got out of the carriage, and the count's man didn't even bother to give me a hand. I snorted when he politely waved his hand in the direction of the house.

Going inside, one maid met me and offered to take me to the right office. I did not refuse, looking at the luxurious decoration of the living room along the way. No matter how you look at it, but this man was clearly not in poverty, but for some reason he clung so fiercely to one unfortunate aristocrat.

Before entering, the girl knocked gently:

— Sir, Lady Weinstein has come to meet you.

— Let him come in.

A dissatisfied voice from the other side clearly spoke of the count's bad mood. However, I took hold of the door handle without a drop of doubt and entered the office.

At the table in a leather chair sat a heavy man, extremely unpleasant in appearance. It seemed that the count spent all his free time at the dinner table, and otherwise it was impossible to explain how by such a relatively young age he had already managed to eat so much.

«Are you really here?» — at the sight of me, his piggy eyes narrowed, — Finally came to give me the money?

«Not really,» I said, «I came to talk to you.»

— Talk about what? I don't want to hear any more of your stupid excuses.

Count Crick looked at me extremely biased, and at any moment was ready to start threatening the court.

I sauntered into the room and sat down in another chair. I put my purse on my lap and kept a completely neutral expression on my face. Don't let this pig even think he can intimidate me.

— I see you don't care that I can ruin your life from day to day? — the man quipped, — I gave you a final warning. If I don't have a hundred thousand on my desk by the end of the week, the whole empire will know that you are a fraud. Your reputation will be forever tarnished!

I couldn't help but chuckle. Defamed? How could my situation get any worse? Until recently, everyone in the country knew that Duke Weinstein's youngest daughter was sleeping with everyone. It was this topic that was the first at all secular parties. And this person says that some kind of messing with money will be able to aggravate my situation?

If I could, I would tell him so. But unfortunately, at this point, the right of my free will ended.

After Count Crick presented his threat to me, windows with answer options popped up in front of my eyes. There was no cancel button, so I really had to choose only one of these options.

In total, the quests in this game were divided into two levels. Plot and linear. It was the last one I was going through right now.

Linear quests had no effect on the main plot, and were only needed to collect game currency. They came across throughout the passage, and they could be either accepted or rejected. Something like bonus tasks.

Since my entry into this world, I have already completed several linear quests. All of them were insignificant, but thanks to this I was able to collect two hundred crystals already. Their number was always displayed in the corner of my field of vision.

This currency could not be exchanged for money or anything like that that could help improve my position in this world. Crystals, first of all, were needed to complete story quests. It was for their sake that I tried so hard, agreeing to anything.

Story quests were rare, but they had an inescapable impact on what was happening in the game. In other words, if a player made some mistake during the passage, then later he will not be able to correct it. After all, the restart or rewind button was not working at that moment.

If you go through the story quests without any investments, it became very difficult to maintain the previous relationship with the heroes. One wrong step, and the player will have to spend a lot of effort to restore the relationship.

But there was a way out of this situation — to spend game currency on a paid choice that would definitely bring success. Without a paid choice, some quests became impossible to complete at all.

Before, I just poured money into the novel, because I was too lazy to pass bonus tasks. In the game, they took too much time, and in order to collect the necessary amount, it was necessary to save for a long time. For me, who wanted to go through the whole game at once, it was an unprofitable option.

However, now I simply had no other choice. If I don't collect the required number of crystals before the start of the story quest, I can fly in one moment. After all, they could not be refused.

The most dangerous story quest that awaits me is Rubiella's coming—of-age ceremony. It was on it that Grace was supposed to die in the original plot. And to avoid my death, I have to accumulate a large amount of game currency to spend it on a paid choice.

In fact, I had no idea why this feature was available to me. Grace Weinstein wasn't even a game character who died before the prologue even started. But somehow, I could influence what was happening around me.

I didn't know what it was. A bonus from the creator of the game? Cheat code? Although it was hardly possible, because the developers of the novel most likely did not realize that I accidentally ended up here.

Anyway, I didn't complain, because I had a real chance to change my fate in my hands. And how all this is interconnected, I didn't give a damn.

Meanwhile, the strip over time over the count's head has already moved into the red zone.

I hurried to choose an answer.

«Threaten Count Crick with a lawsuit.»

«Throw a glass of water in your face.»

«Try to persuade.»

«Beg on my knees.»

Without thinking twice, the second option seemed interesting to me. That's what I chose, mentally pronouncing the answer number.

The next second, a phrase came out of my mouth:

— Fuck you!

The hand involuntarily reached for a glass of water on the coffee table, and without delay was splashed out on the man.

The Count was shocked.

— What are you allowing yourself?! — he immediately stood up, shaking off the water, — Finally lost your brains on the way here?

— No, I just realized everything, — the system continued to speak for me, — Roll with your money! I won't give you a cent back!

Count Crick stared at me fiercely.

— Do you even understand who you crossed the road to? — He roared, — You can not even dream of forgiveness! I'll make a statement on you today!

— Try it if you have the courage!

Finally, I shook off the papers from his desk and found the «evidence» that he was preparing for me. The next moment I tore them to shreds.

— If you think that the daughter of the Weinstein family cannot stand up for herself, then you are mistaken! Have a nice day!

I slammed the door loudly before leaving.

— That's an impudent bitch…! — this was the last phrase I heard from the count's office.

After walking a little more, I exhaled.

The system did not make me wait long, and I saw the replenishment of the currency balance, as well as the notification of the completion of the quest. Now, I had two hundred and forty crystals.

After leaving Earl Creek's estate, I felt tired. If this function was still available, I would rather invest money again than go through such an unpleasant process. Fighting off my dignity from scary men was not exactly what I expected when I got into this world.

Although, if we had talked normally from the very beginning, I certainly would not have resorted to such measures. But this aristocrat just drove me, being worse than any annoying collector.

At least I hoped he wouldn't show up at my house anymore.

And if he still dares to sue, then I intended to defend myself on my own. It's not for nothing, after all, that I studied law for so many years?

I stopped by the carriage, thinking that I wanted to see Ruby as soon as possible.

A smile involuntarily appeared on my lips.

Maybe before you go back, buy her something?

108