Chapter 8. A bright future
2.2k 5 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the game «Trembling Hearts 2» linear quests were divided into two types. Temporary and ordinary. When taking a regular quest, the player could start doing it at any time. This did not affect the course of the game in any way and depended only on the player's desire to earn game currency.

Temporary quests came across less often and therefore gave a more valuable reward. When the player agreed, the countdown began. The usual time limit for completing such a quest was forty minutes. Such interactive elements began to appear in otome games relatively recently.

However, I didn't care. What's the point of spending effort on additional tasks when money can buy everything? I just wanted to get through the game as soon as possible and see all the endings.

Now I had to face a temporary quest for the first time in my life. And to understand what kind of «shark» it is in general… I didn't even doubt that the system had specially «sent» a butler to me for this task. In the end, Edison's role was even smaller than mine. So why would he suddenly have a will of his own?

Although the quest itself was very strange.

Its essence was that Grace would contact the secret organization of the family before Ruby. And in fact, she will become a villain instead of her… Why the hell the game gives me such tasks at all — I couldn't understand. Perhaps, with my appearance here, the old interface has finally gone to hell? Anyway, it's not for me to deal with it.

One could only hope that this was Grace Weinstein's secret storyline, which no one knew about before. Even me. In general, I was extremely loyal to what was happening. As long as I'm alive and I can keep Ruby out of danger—everything else was somehow sideways.

Moreover, so far everything has been going very smoothly. And I hoped that it would continue to be so. Since the game was now taking place in real life, the system gave me two days to complete the quest. I should have done it in that time.

I decided to start the implementation tomorrow morning. I will go to the capital to meet the current leader of the Spider Legion. According to Edison, he should hand over the authority to me as soon as he sees the token. I was hoping for that. After all, in fact, we had no other way out.

Unlike Grace, who didn't care about anything but alcohol and lovers—I wasn't going to continue to drag out such a miserable existence. Tomorrow I will take the first step towards a new future!

And since I will be away for quite a long time, I decided to visit Ruby before the trip. Because of my busy schedule, the girl and I managed to spend not so much time together. I tried to fix it as much as possible. After all, a child from childhood should feel that he is loved and cared for.

Nura informed me that Ruby often likes to spend time in the garden. And indeed. I went down to the street and saw a tiny silhouette on a bench. Ruby sat alone with her teddy bear and stared into the distance. Flowers and other surrounding worries did not interest her at all.

I was passing by our small garden. It was modest, but there is a large bright lawn here. Ruby could play here with her friends that she will have in the future… Despite the rustle of the grass, the girl did not even move, and it seemed she did not hear my footsteps. I decided to play a little prank on her.

The usual child's play. I was going to sneak up behind her and cover her eyes with my hand. Then say the cherished «who's there». But my plan was not destined to come true. Scarcely had I touched her when Ruby suddenly jerked and turned around. For a second, she had such a scared expression on her face, as if I was going to hit her.

I was surprised.

— Ruby…?

The girl's gaze finally focused on me. Discovering that it was me, she quickly figured out what to do. She pretended to relax and smiled.

— Aunt.

I fell into a bit of a stupor, because I didn't expect such a reaction.

— Ruby, you… Are you all right? I asked, just in case.

The niece smiled wider.

— Nothing like that. I'm just a little afraid of extraneous sounds.

— Ah, that's how it is.

I relaxed too and sat down next to her. It seems that this awkwardness has been smoothed out. Meanwhile Ruby turned to me with concern:

«Auntie, is something wrong?» Why did you come so suddenly?

— It's okay, — I smiled and stroked her hair, — I just wanted to see you.

— I also really wanted to see my aunt! — the girl exclaimed enthusiastically.

— Ha ha.

We sat like this for a while, and I suddenly remembered that I had never asked about it. But it was important.

— Ruby, do you like living here?

Ruby answered without hesitation, «My aunt's estate is cozy and everyone treats me well. Much better than at home!

— «Cozy»? — I cleared my throat, — Ha… I hope this is true.

But most likely it was some exaggeration. After all, before that, Rubiella lived in the main residence of the Weinstein family — which was clearly better than this house… In addition, our financial situation also differs. Magrit, unlike me, is not in poverty… Although, perhaps the atmosphere here is really better than there.

— I'm so glad that my aunt takes care of me! Ruby's eyes shone with genuine happiness.

I supported her.

— And I'm glad that I have such a wonderful niece.

We laughed. From the outside, the harmony between the two of us was really like family members.

— Aunt… — suddenly the girl began in embarrassment, — You said that I could ask if I needed anything…

— Of course! — I immediately reacted, — Have you already decided what you want?

«I… would like to go somewhere with my aunt.»

— Hmm?

— Well… — Ruby blushed, — I want to go on a picnic with my aunt!

I was surprised by such an unexpected request.

— P-picnic…?

— yes! Ruby nodded vigorously, «I've heard that families often go to it together.

To be honest, it was really unpredictable. I was ready for anything: but Ruby didn't ask me for any toys, sweets, rides or any other children's entertainment. And instead of that… A picnic? Even I forgot when I was on it the last time. It seemed even more unexpected from the heiress of the ducal family.

«Is that really what you want?» I asked uncertainly.

Ruby nodded.

— My mother and I have never spent time together… And I've always wanted to do something that ordinary families do.

I sighed. The thought that Ruby had been deprived of even such simple things all her life — involuntarily made her sad. But at the same time… Now Ruby has me. And I have it. From now on, everything will be different.

Noticing my thoughtful expression, Ruby lowered her head dejectedly.

— Aunt, if you don't want to, then…

— Of course! — I interrupted her and smiled brightly, — We will definitely go on a picnic this weekend.

— Really?! Ruby was overjoyed.

I grinned.

«Auntie never breaks promises.

— Hooray!! — from happiness, the girl hung herself on my neck.

I laughed as she continued to hug me with all her might. Just a little more and I won't have enough air. Perhaps now I myself am beginning to realize what a family is.

I'm not really bad. And not a villain at all… But what if, in the game world, this is our only way to survive? For the sake of a bright future for me and Ruby, I was ready to try my best.

74