Chapter 11. Picnic
1.8k 4 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the very beginning, I knew that it would be a difficult task to win over a man like William Dickens to my side. I was prepared in advance for various risks and consequences. Including the fact that my threat to the emperor will not work…

But fortunately, everything worked out.

After I proved that I could be «useful» to him, the Duke still agreed to my proposal. We have become allies and from now on we must act together. However, in order not to arouse suspicion, all this is in secret.

Duke Dickens has come up with the perfect cover. To make my stay at the estate and meetings with the Duke's family justified, I will become Roger's mentor. Once a week I will come and teach him etiquette and art. It was a common practice among noble families, and since Grace had a good education, it was quite possible.

But of course, it only looked like that from the outside. In fact, I wasn't really going to train him. It was a kind of plan to force the secular society to reconsider the attitude towards me. After all, William Dickens was a respected man, and his appearance next to me would undoubtedly cause a stir. The Duke will also help us with money, as payment for «his son's education.»

In this way, Duke Dickens will repay me for my service. After all, I really helped him a lot when I relieved him of his post in the palace. The Duke got what he had been striving for for so long — the long-awaited independence. It really deserved a decent reward.

The title itself, given to me in words,
the duke explained to people like this:

— …really! My son has only been able to swing a sword since childhood. He could use a mentor like that.

So we decided. When I was returning from the Dickens estate, Roger suddenly caught up with me.

— Lady Weinstein, wait…!

I froze in surprise right before climbing into the carriage.

Roger stopped in front of me, out of breath.

— I wanted to talk to you about something.

— Yes? — I smiled, — And about what?

— You… — the guy clenched his fists, — Are you free this weekend?

— what?

— I… — I was choosing my words, — Since now you have become my mentor, I thought it would be nice for us to get to know each other better, — Roger suddenly declared, — I was going to suggest that you go to an exhibition at the Museum of Art.

I froze in surprise. Roger said these words with the same cold expression on his face as usual. So I had no idea what he was thinking right now.

And yet…

— It's just a cover,» I said, «we don't have to…

— Even if it's a cover, it should look plausible. Don't you think so?

I hesitated. Who knew that Roger would take this case so responsibly?

Besides, it was only between me and his father. Even Roger wasn't privy to all the details. And meanwhile… A sudden chill came over me.

It's not the same moment when a love interest, contrary to the plot, falls in love with the main character?! I've often seen a similar plot in short stories, but I never thought it would come to the game. After all, the system should somehow manage the feelings of the characters.

But it wasn't there!

Anyway, I hoped I was wrong. Maybe the guy is really just a good son of his father? After all, I didn't know his young version as well as the adult one. Roger's childhood before his escape from home was shown only in flashbacks. It is not necessary to withdraw ahead of time and spoil relations with the Dickens family. Moreover, it is not profitable for me. For now, I'll just watch.

— It sounds good, — I smiled distantly, — But unfortunately I won't be able to on this day. I have things to do.

What I do in my free time was none of his business. But still, in response to Roger's puzzled look, I decided to clarify:

«Ruby and I are going on a picnic.

— «Picnic…»?

— Yeah, — I nodded, — You know, not so long ago, my older sister sent me a niece to raise. I have to take good care of her.

— Oh… That's how it is.

At this moment, the guy looked away with an incomprehensible expression on his face. As if he was uncomfortable talking about it.

«Do you remember my Ruby?» Tell me, lovely child! I said enthusiastically.

— Indeed, — Roger smiled tightly, «it is.

The guy and I stood awkwardly for a couple of minutes, after which we finally said goodbye and parted. All the way back in the carriage, I didn't stop thinking about one thing.

«What did his expression mean?»

***

As I promised Ruby, we went on a picnic together in the local city park. Couples and families with children often spent weekends here. And since summer was in full swing, there was always a crowd of people in the park. Everywhere there were stalls with treats, balloons and other attributes of entertainment.

I spread a blanket for Ruby and me under one of the flowering trees. The girl looked around enthusiastically. There was an indescribable delight on her face. It was obvious that Ruby really was at such an event for the first time in her life.

«Aren't you hungry?» — I turned to her with a smile, — Aunt has prepared a lot of things!

For the sake of our picnic, I really tried and spent the whole day in the kitchen. In the basket she brought with her, there were seven kinds of snacks and refreshing lemonade. Rubiella's eyes sparkled.

— Aunt, it looks very tasty!

I laughed. While Ruby tasted my supplies, I enjoyed the magical atmosphere of summer. The sun was shining brightly and the weather was wonderful. It was probably the first day in the last month when I could think about nothing and just relax.

Ruby also seemed very happy.

— What beautiful flowers!

I raised my head with delight and looked up. The sight of delicate pink petals flying in the wind was really fascinating. What a nice day to admire the summer landscape.

Rubiella and I spent several hours in the park. I bought her a balloon and we played a simple board game. I was glad to see that she was having fun.

By evening, the people slowly began to disperse. I thought it was time for Ruby and me to go home, too. But before that, I decided to go to the lake to feed the local ducks.

There was a large lake in the park where you could rent a boat to swim. There were also beautiful mandarin ducks. I took some leftover food and walked to the edge, where they were already gathered waiting for the kind visitors of the park.

— Quack, quack… Here, my good ones!

I fed the ducks until I accidentally slipped on a slippery bank and flew into the water. It was too unexpected. The silt at the bottom began to rapidly pull me down. I felt like I was drowning.

Damn it! I can't swim at all…!

And as luck would have it, the other visitors who were nearby recently have already dispersed. I called Ruby with all my might:

— Ruby, hurry up…! Call someone for help!

The water was already reaching my throat. At this rate, I'm really going to drown.

Rubiella watched the scene with an indifferent look. From here I couldn't see what kind of expression she had.

— Ruby, hurry up…! — I was choking on water.

But the girl froze as if rooted to the spot and did not even move. She was looking at me with a strange look. The emptiness in the pupils mixed with the thirst for death.

«Call for help? What for? Auntie, you seem to be doing so well.»

56