Chapter 12. Salvation
1.8k 1 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruby's look, which she gave me moments before my death, haunted me even in my dreams. I had never felt her gaze on me like that before. As if… She despises me. No. There was more to it than just contempt.

I still didn't understand what it was when I suddenly woke up. My dress and hair were wet, but someone changed me into dry clothes and put me in bed. My head was still pounding a little.

— Where am I…? — my throat was dry, so only an unintelligible wheeze escaped from my mouth.

Well, it wasn't that important. The main thing is that it is not in the afterlife.

When I asked about it, there was a rustle nearby. And the next moment the little body rushed to hug me.

— Hurrah! Auntie has finally woken up!

I shuddered when I realized that Ruby was hugging me. The girl snuggled up to me and was very happy that I regained consciousness. But at that moment, I instinctively pulled away.

When I moved away from her, Ruby looked at me in surprise.

«Auntie, is something wrong?»

— …

I myself could not understand what was happening to me. But for some reason, I felt uncomfortable being around her. That look… I still remembered him clearly.

Noticing that I was cold with her, Rubiella began to look very drooping.

— Aunt… — tears sounded in her voice, — Are you mad at me?

I was surprised. These were sincere tears.

— I am…

— Aunt, tell me what I did wrong!

It seemed that the girl was in real despair, and I couldn't stand it. After all, who can remain indifferent, bringing a child to tears? I felt sorry for her. And yet…

— Why didn't you call for help? I asked bluntly.

Rubiella shuddered.

— Aunt, I am… I was so scared,» the girl guiltily lowered her head, «Please forgive me! Ruby will never do that again!

Ruby's remorse really looked sincere. My heart softened. Maybe I really just imagined it then? After all, Ruby is still a child. She might well have been lost in such an unforeseen situation. That look wishing me dead never happened.

— It's okay,» I finally smiled and hugged Ruby to me, «I'm not mad at you.

— Really? She looked up at me with wet eyes.

— Yeah, — I nodded, — This could happen to anyone… Let's just forget it.

The girl hugged me tighter around the waist.

«Aunt, I promise I will never put you in danger again!» I will definitely call for help!

— Huh… Good, — although I hoped that there would never be a next time after all. After all, in my new life, I couldn't die so stupidly just by drowning in a lake with ducks.

While we were sitting on the bed, I suddenly realized that we were not in our estate. These ceiling and walls were unfamiliar to me.

— By the way… Who saved me after all? — I remembered and decided to ask about it.

— This… Ruby hesitated.

At that moment, there was a knock on the door of the room. Roger suddenly appeared on the threshold.

— Lady Weinstein, you've come to your senses! He let out a sigh of relief.

I was very surprised.

— Sir Roger?» That you're here…

The guy walked deeper into the room.

— It so happened that I was nearby… — Roger explained awkwardly, — I heard cries for help and ran. And then it turned out that it was you.

— Really? I was amazed. That's a coincidence.

«Fortunately, I arrived in time,» Roger continued, «and pulled you out. But… I didn't know where you live, so I brought you here.

— So this is your estate…?

— yes.

I sighed.

«I'm sorry I caused so much inconvenience,» I said guiltily.

— It's all right,» Roger said, «the main thing is that you're safe now.

We smiled at each other. At this time, Ruby didn't say anything and silently watched our conversation. Roger cleared his throat awkwardly and I took his hint.

— Ruby, baby, — I took her hand, — Play in the hallway for now, okay? Adults need to talk.

The girl did not argue. She smiled faintly.

«All right, Aunt.

As soon as Ruby left us, the guy began to look less constrained. He walked over and sat on a chair next to my bed.

— What did you want to talk about? I asked.

— Are you feeling well? — he immediately clarified.

— Mm, yes… That's better. I will leave the duchy as soon as possible.

— Don't worry about it, — said the guy, — Father has already given approval for you to stay here as long as necessary.

— That's how… — I smiled, — Then it's good.

We were silent. The only sound in the room was the tapping of the wall clock.

«While I was unconscious, you had to look after Ruby,» I said, «I'm sorry if it caused you any inconvenience.»

— Uh… no. Of course not.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

Contrary to his usual icy expression, the teenager looked sincere with me now. When we were alone, he crossed his arms in a lock and was barely noticeably embarrassed. He seemed really worried about me. I was grateful to Roger, but at the same time… I assessed what was happening soberly.

Yesterday I almost accidentally came within a hair's breadth of death. I should be even more careful now.

I was hoping that Roger really only saw me as a friend. I wasn't a fool not to notice all these signs. And the devil knows what will happen to this world if I accidentally «steal» one of the main love interests…

It will be good if our friendly relations remain like this in the future. After all, I am now cooperating with this family. But otherwise… I'm going to have to draw a hard line between us.

While I was thinking about our sudden relationship, Roger suddenly turned to me himself:

— Your butler asked me to tell you. You received a letter this morning.

— I was surprised.

Roger took a sealed envelope from his jacket pocket and handed it to me. I opened it and immediately read it.

It really turned out to be unexpected.

«Lady Weinstein, I hope you have a moment to spare.»

It was a letter from the owner of the gun shop.

53