Chapter 13. Serpens Plan
1.6k 0 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite Roger's statement that we could stay longer at the estate, I still felt uncomfortable staying in someone else's house. Especially if no one except the guy himself was glad to see us. Catching sidelong glances at myself every time I went out into the corridor was quite tiring…

So Ruby and I went back the very next morning. The girl was so tired that she fell asleep right on my lap during the carriage ride. Smiling, I stroked her hair.

Nura, for once, came out to meet us on time. I handed her the sleeping Ruby and put my finger to my lips.

— Ts-s.

The maid looked at me in surprise.

— Aren't you going to come in…?

«I have things to do,» I explained in a whisper.

— Business? What else is going on at nine in the morning?

I sighed. The only maid of my estate was indeed a unique nugget. Not every servant would dare to pry and take an interest in the affairs of the masters. This was considered a huge impoliteness, and depending on the character of the aristocrat, it was severely punished.

«In order not to be dismissed, servants must know their place.»

But this was clearly not my case. That's what it means when you take a maid from the street. Nura behaved like a cat who could do whatever she wanted. A couple of days ago, I caught an outrageous scene: it was worth walking away for a couple of minutes, as a girl sneaked into the kitchen, where I was preparing snacks for our picnic with Ruby. After that, the whole set of cakes disappeared…

Did she really think I wouldn't notice?

Here and now. Nura opened her brown eyes with curiosity, completely not thinking about the fact that such questions were not allowed to her.

I sighed heavily.

— Maybe I should write you another report?

«It won't work,» the maid protested innocently, «I can't read.»

«Would you have agreed otherwise?» — I couldn't stand it and grinned.

Nura scratched her head in her usual manner.

— Well…

«Okay,» I waved her off wearily, «just take Ruby to the room and look after her.»

The girl followed me with a disappointed look when I didn't say anything to her. Meanwhile, I got into the carriage and ordered the coachman to go faster. Since I didn't have a quest this time, the automatic move button didn't work. I had to get to the capital on my own.

It took about an hour and a half to get there. Arriving in the city, I followed the tips of passers-by to get to that very Thorn Lane. He enjoyed a dubious reputation among the locals, which was not surprising.

Lionel was already waiting for me at the gun shop. More precisely, a man very similar to him.

— Lady Weinstein, you're here.

I nodded.

Serpens hung a closed sign on the door and offered to sit in the chairs for visitors. We sat down opposite each other. The man brewed us some fruit tea.

We met for the second time, but I unconsciously continued to stare at him suspiciously. He was tired and as if he was already used to it.

«I'm not Lionel,» he reminded me again.

I sighed.

— I know…

«Then why do you keep looking at me like that?»

«Because you still seem very suspicious to me.»

Serpens rolled his eyes. Meanwhile, I immediately decided to get down to business.

— What happened? — I asked, — Why did you call me so suddenly?

— I wanted to know about your further actions.

— Actions?

— Now the Spider Legion is in your power. I'm interested in what you plan to do.

I frowned.

«What am I supposed to do?»

The man seemed to ask an obvious question.

«Aren't you going to usurp power in the empire?»

I almost choked on my tea.

— Usurp?!

«It's quite normal,» Lance said calmly, «your father intended to do the same thing.

— Ha-ah… — I smiled faintly, — Who said that I am the same as my father?

He was surprised.

«Then why did you turn to the Spider Legion for help?»

— Well… — I decided not to play the nobility and answer sincerely, — Because I want money and fame.

This time it was Serpens' turn to choke. Although everything seemed very obvious. Who in my place would not wish for a better fate for themselves?

Anyway, I had only two options for the development of events. The first is to wait until Rubiella comes of age and leads the Weinstein family to a better future. But in that case, I'll have to wait eight whole years…

Or, resort to the second option, and take matters into your own hands. In the end, I chose the second one. Of course, the first thing I will do is fulfill my main goal, and raise the villain a decent person. But at the same time I will improve my own life. After all, I'm not even the main character, so who cares what I do? I can't influence the main storyline anyway.

Serpens Strange took my answer skeptically. Apparently, he found my plans too insignificant.

«You could rule the country, but together you just want money…» — this phrase was so clearly read on his face.

It seems that the man really did not like the current government.

«Do you dislike the emperor so much?» — I decided to clarify.

Serpens looked up at me with his violet eyes.

—There is such a thing,» he said slowly.

The man did not deny it, but he did not go into details either. Looks like it's none of my business.

There was a significant pause between us.

— Serpens, how exactly did you threaten the emperor? — in fact, I was very worried about this question.

The man seemed to be waiting for me to ask about it.

— Take a look for yourself.

Serpens handed me an envelope with a black wax seal. There was a picture of a spider on it. I opened the message, which had only one line.

«The Imperial dog is tired of sitting in a cage.»

I involuntarily burst out laughing. This phrase seemed funny to me.

On the one hand, it doesn't seem to mean anything. But on the other side… You can immediately understand that it was about Duke Dickens. I couldn't believe that the emperor had been intimidated by this alone.

— Are you sure that's all you did?

Serpens nodded affirmatively.

— Our man put an envelope under his pillow.

Now everything has become more obvious. The palace, and especially the imperial chambers, were very well guarded. Even a mouse couldn't slip inside and not be noticed by the guards. And here, a person not only got into the emperor's bedroom, but also got out of there without consequences. This meant that he himself could easily become the next victim.

It is clear why this could terrify the emperor… I didn't even know that there were such experienced mercenaries in the organization.

— Well, it's good that everything worked out for you.

Serpens, apparently, has already come to terms with the fact that I plan to waste the potential of the organization. He sighed and said:

— If that's really your goal, I won't argue… However, let me remind you of something.

— Hmm?

— To win the hearts of the aristocrats, first of all, you have to win the emperor.

«Conquer»? And what does that mean?

— The opinions of the aristocrats vary all the time,» he continued, «However, one thing remains unchanged. Whoever is held in high esteem by the emperor has great power.

I squinted suspiciously.

— You're not suggesting that I…?

— Of course not,» Serpens replied calmly, «Who knows, but he definitely won't buy it. Since the emperor ascended to the throne, too many ladies have tried to fuck him up. It's too easy. There is a more profitable way.

I even wondered which one.

«There will be a banquet in honor of the emperor's birthday in a month,» Serpens reminded unobtrusively.

— And? So what?

— You must attend it.

— Me?! Which way…?

I really didn't understand what he was up to.

«We have to show the emperor that the Spider Legion is still strong,» he said, «and the best way to do it is in front of the entire upper class of high society.

— …

I bit my lip doubtfully.

— Don't worry. We will prepare a surprise for the emperor's birthday,» Serpens grinned, «I'm sure he will definitely be satisfied.

What was happening reminded me too much of the typical plans of villains from any movie or book. All that was missing was dark music and darkening the screen. If a holiday or any other significant event for the heroes is spoiled — do not even doubt who is behind it. It seems that I saw such a cliche for the first time in a children's cartoon.

However, okay. This is a typical otome game. There must be a lot of cliches here that I've seen a hundred times.

That's just it…

— And what do I have to do with it?

— The emperor already has certain suspicions, — Serpens took a sip of tea, — But he does not yet know who exactly revived the organization, you or your sister. We should take advantage of this to temporarily keep our identity a secret.

— You still haven't said why I'm needed there.

Serpens looked at me stubbornly, as if I was the only one who didn't understand anything until the last.

— If you attend the celebration together, everything will become even more confusing. The Emperor won't know who to blame, you or the Duchess.

I sighed. There doesn't seem to be a choice. You'll have to put on a dark cloak and do evil deeds.

— But how will I get there? — I snorted, — Do you think the invitations to the emperor's birthday go to just anyone?

This event was significant throughout the country. You can't come to such a celebration just because you wanted to. Elite invitation cards were given only to a select few.

Magrit, as the head of the Weinstein family, undoubtedly received an invitation. That's just unlikely, out of the kindness of her heart, she will want to take her younger sister with her. Therefore, this question was still open to me.

But it turned out that Serpens was already ready to offer me a ready-made solution.

«Ask Duke Dickens about it.»

— Eh?

«Ask the Duke to make you a companion at this banquet.»

40