Levelling the labyrinth:The living maze
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rae's POV

As soon as I entered the 96th floor I was greeted with a huge wall with a path diverging into two paths a couple of steps from me. One was headed to the left the other to the right. 

I wasn't sure which path to take but it was certain that considering this is a floor I needed to take one of the paths. Seeing as there were two paths one must definitely lead to the floor guardian. If the space was not closed up top I would have definitely flown up and made my way straight to it.

Since taking the path without knowing which was the right one would lead to a waste of time and exertion of unnecessary effort, I decided to use search magic to trace the path that seemed to brim with life.

When I tried this, I ended up with no results as the magic emitted everywhere on the floor was equally distributed, it was like trying to find a person in a fog.

I saw that the use of my magic was not going to help so I sat down and started to brainstorm what was the best way for me to pick the right path with 100℅ accuracy. I racked my brain thinking of a solution but I didn't seem to arrive at one, then it happened. Thinking about it now how was this not the first thing that came to mind? I sat down there laughing at myself for not thinking of the solution much earlier. The easiest way for me to confirm the correct path to take was by nothing else other than the use of drones. If this was me before the dream scape I wouldn't have dreamed of using my knowledge of modern technology to my advantage in this world but since I have a domain that can bring my memories and ideas to life here then there is nothing else to do other than utilize my abilities to the greatest potential.

I sat down trying to remember how drones worked and soon enough the memory popped up. Now with the memory at hand I was ready to use the creation lab to bring the first of Earth's technology to this world.

As I was preparing the stage I remained fearful of the qi flow within the body that was Raphael. While the qi was not truly acting up it was in an erratic state. The qi cultivation was optimized for my vampiric body not this body that is half angel half human, also the vampire body is the body of 12 year old and this is the body of 20 year old so there is a huge difference between them.

Even though I was afraid of the turn out I decided to try and when I did I couldn't believe the back lash. I was immediately spitting blood from some kind of internal damage. I used my light magic to quickly heal myself and I was able too. I still couldn't understand why my body could use magic but not use any of the qi energy I had spent a lot of time cultivating. Was I supposed to start cultivating the qi energy in this body afresh?

Maybe I was but there was just no time to start that process afresh. I reached a deadlock as I need to be able to manipulate my qi energy to activate my mind's eye so as to do a projection but my second body was not allowing me. I sat down again looking for a solution to my problem but I could seem to find one, so I started to draw comparison between my body as Rae and my body as Raphael and see if I could get the reason for the incompatibility. As I did this I found that they were opposites in every way from age to the dominant race to body build etc. It was as if Liza desired Raphael to be the opposite of Rae. Then it clicked in my mind. The first time I met master she said that my vampiric body has a lot of yin energy and that worked very well for that body but what about my current body? If I keep injecting yin energy into it and that is not the energy it is most comfortable with then it will keep rejecting it each time harming me one way or another. As this body seemed to be designed to be the opposite of Rae then the qi energy it must be most compatible with is Yang energy but how do I transform my yin energy to yang energy? And going further how was it able to hold the yin dominated qi energy I gained. I just wish master would have been here to help answer these questions.

Ah now I see, a layer of yang energy encloses the yin energy thus allowing the yin energy to be stored with this body, so what if I slowly trickle the energy into my yang body just like how you put cold water on a hot stove to heat it up, maybe my body will do it well on its own, it's working but wow the rate is too slow, how can I speed up. Maybe by using martial art? 

I found out doing martial arts helps in better qi flow and manipulation so that would maybe help the rate increase a bit.

It works, the yang energy is slowly building up with the use of some martial arts move, I think I now have enough qi energy to deploy my domain.

"Domain projection, the creation lab."

There is the lab now let us produce.two drones, wait maybe two drones will be too few for the number. Let us produce six more just in case the path diverges again.

There it is, the production is finished, now for an excursion.

I sent out two drones, first one to the left and the other to the right to see how each of the paths were and not long after I found out that the path on the right splits into three, a bit soon after I found the path on the left also splits into three. I sent four more drones out to cover the unexplored paths. While doing this two of my drones reached a dead end so I sent them back, the other continued until they found more diverging paths. I now had an idea of what this was. The floor I was standing in must be a maze. The continuing drones each hit dead ends with only one continuing but the deeper I went the more paths I found so I worked on recycling the drones that hit dead ends and proceeded to continue with the search but out of no where four of my drones lost contact, I had no idea what happened to any of them as the attack from the feed that came back was a surprise one.

I decided to follow the four that still remain walking through the paths the drones had laid out. As I was following the leading path that continued to stretch I hit a dead end, at first I couldn't understand what was happening since my drones passed through here and there was no sign of a dead end. Then the remaining drones all got destroyed. 

What was happening? 

I was left stranded and the information the drones seemed to be relaying wasn't that helpful, I at first thought I had made a wrong turn but when I started to turn back the path that was blocked initially opened up and a loud groan came out of it. I was so confused with what was happening. Was this some kind of trick maze that switches up the paths every few seconds? Yeah that is a possibility it is the deeper layers of the labyrinth so of course it was not just a simple maze. Being confused with what action I should take next I slowly continued to walk through the path that had just opened up until I met another dead end. Getting fed up with the dead ends I stopped to think of a way out but my functioning head couldn't conjure up a solution for me. I gave up all attempts at logical thinking and went all brute-force on the wall of the maze. I planned to use my laser to blast a path for me so that I could reach the end of the maze at first this worked for the first three dead ends but soon enough my laser was not doing any damage to the walls. It was like the walls had learned to adapt to my ability then soon enough as I stood there formulating a new weapon to use on the walls, I was surrounded by monsters but not just any old monsters it was minotaurs and not like any I had seen before. They looked to be extremely buffed. There were five of them. These monsters must have been what destroyed my drones. Two of the five minotaurs leapt into action ready to make mash out of me but lucky enough I had a basic understanding of both lianrong and xixianshu. I could easily make use of the powerful impacts by reflecting the energy they put forward towards themselves. This move allowed me to use the first minatour energy and power to deal with the second. While doing this I used my qi sight to trace the flow of their natural qi and attack the most vital of their parts and within minutes this level one body was able to make quick work of five minitaurs. It also helps that they didn't all gang up on me at once, well the space was too restricting for them to actually do that so I guess that was sort of to my advantage. But as I was basking in my glory a mouth suddenly appeared from the adjacent wall and gobbled up the minotaurs I had just defeated.

This caught me off-guard wondering what type of floor guardian I was facing may be I already had the answer to this thought. The maze itself seemed to be a monster of its own, it was definitely alive for all the abnormalities such as the changing of paths, repair of damage and even the qi itself pointed to it being alive. Now that I knew the maze was alive what was the best way to deal with it, that is the question I asked myself. It had shown that it had the ability to easily adapt and regenerate from any attack I throw at it so the only option was for me to conjure up an attack that would instantly neutralise it not giving it room to regenerate. The only thing that came to mind that had such an ability was an explosion but would a normal explosion really work on the labyrinth? I mean it would definitely regenerate itself in an instant if the explosion didn't take it down in all its entirety. As I continued thinking of an explosion with the power to destroy it all the power of the atomic bomb popped into my mind. This thought immediately sent shivers down my spine as it is known what power the atomic bomb holds. I sat down looking for another solution but none cropped up, my only way to defeat this living maze as quickly as possible was to blast it away with the power of the atomic bomb but would I really survive such? I thought to myself, I mean if it has the power to take down a whole maze won't it take me out with it? As I was still thinking to myself a whole army of minotaurs suddenly appeared in front of me. I was confident in my martial arts but with the number in front of me, I would definitely be dead meat. I then suddenly had an idea, if Liza could put things into my inventory what about me as a person wouldn't I be able to hide myself away from the blast radius? I asked Liza about it and she said it was possible but the problem was that even if I could put myself into the inventory and be retrieved after a certain time had elapsed that would make it impossible for the bomb to go off as the bomb is directly linked to my domain. Then it came to me, if I remember I sort of had control over all that was within my domain so what if I deployed the entirety of my barrier in its full glory and then explode the bomb with the barrier in a way I had control over the explosion in such a way that it won't harm me in any way.

I knew it was dangerous to try and do this as it would need very serious qi control on my side and if I failed I might blow myself away leading to death, well that or if I fail to completely fail to be able to control my qi well I might make myself loose consciousness and the army of minotaurs won't hesitate to make mashed potatoes from me.

I deployed the domain and tried to extend its range as far as I could but this turned out to be an even greater task than I could have imagined. The amount of yang qi in my body was too little to use so I had to make use of the overflowing yin one and this caused a lot of internal bleeding in my side. The pain I felt as the qi flowed through my body was excruciatingly painful, it was like somebody had exchanged my blood with liquid nitrogen and that was what was flowing through my body but I couldn't give up yet so I continued until I felt the barrier had covered the maze. Then I fed my domain the information of how to produce a simple fission bomb, I was tempted to try and do a hydrogen bomb but that would have definitely been overkill. 

Once the bomb was ready I immediately detonated it. All I saw after was a white blinding light. I did my best to protect myself from the neutrons and stray energy but this seemed to worsen the burning from the cold energy. I could feel each of my organs give out screaming in agony and after what felt like the longest second maybe less the light of pure whiteness was gone and the entire thing had been decimated. I was afraid of the fallout at first but once I dropped the barrier the effects were gone. 

The floor now looked like an empty space with nothing in it. I started to slowly walk towards the door still writhing in pain from the qi backlash when I noticed a small glass-like blue ball, I picked it up thinking it was a drop from the floor. I expected it would be hard and rigid but when I picked it up it was soft and squishy almost like gelatin. I pocketed the thing and continued to walk to the entry to the next floor.

1