CHAPTER 18 – CAFFEINE IN MY HEART
276 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 18 - CAFFEINE IN MY HEART

[Gladiatrix System Tips: Skill Command Cards]

[Skill Command Cards are the most common Command Cards in the Gladiatrix System. These cards range from single-use to multiple-use. Sometimes, Skill Cards are used as buffs to strengthen the Gladiator/Gladiatrix for a maximum of ten minutes. Skill Cards are general-type cards that have instantaneous effects and normally do not last long.]

<>

I lived in the hospital for the next few days with my mother and father visiting me after work. Raynevere also visits me every morning, gives me packed lunch, and offers me some fruits and flowers. I’m not in any way complaining, but Raynevere has been taking care of me too much that she seems to have fully absorbed the fact that we’ll be marrying each other one day.

She’s too sweet, too sweet that I’m afraid I’ll get diabetes.

Honestly, it felt weird to me. She offered to be my Gladiatrix in exchange for growing stronger and finding out the culprit of her clan’s massacre. Isn’t going to the police the first course of action? But then again, the police won’t be able to suppress the enemy we faced that night.

The lady in black and the masked Kaiser are both mysterious figures, yet their abilities are on par with Perfect Grade Kaisers and Gladiatrixes. It might take years or even decades for us to be on their level.

But at least I have an idea to narrow the culprits down. Upon registering a Kaiser and Gladiatrix partnership in the KG Guild, we will be able to access the records about all existing Kaisers and Gladiatrixes. The Gladiatrix System always upload their combat logs on the registry of the Guild archives, so we might be able to identify the murderers sooner.

Anyway, I felt that something was wrong with Raynevere. She seemed too desperate.

My suspicion of Raynevere was confirmed when my father visited me at the hospital one night.

“Have you heard the news?” My father asked as he put a bottle of ice-cold cola on my table. I immediately glugged at the refreshment as it was my first time drinking ever since I was confined.

“What news?” I said as I put the half-empty bottle back on the table.

“About Treenity Innovations. The company was already a mess, and now it’s more chaotic. The board of directors is having this cold war against each other as they are now forced to elect a new president of the corporation.” My father said.

“What about Raynevere?” I asked.

“Raynevere is working hard to get the company’s approval. She’s trying her best to gain the favor of the shareholders so that she can become the next president and the successor to her father. But there are some problems.”

I looked at the floor and immediately realized the problem my father is talking about. “She’s just a high-school student.”

“That’s one of the reasons. The other one is heavier. You know that Raynevere’s grandfather is missing, right? There are rumors that Don Gawainus Treenity commanded the Cyberdemons to burn the village and massacre his clan. They said that the founder of the corporation is a senile old man who needs to get some help. And since the founder has favoritism over his grandchildren, some shareholders thought that it’s his way for Raynevere to get the corporation all by herself.”

“That’s absurd! Raynevere is not that greedy! She won’t participate in something so screwed up!” I protested.

“I know, I know. Miss Raynevere is a good girl, so I don’t believe it either. But because of what’s happening right now, it’s not too farfetched for some conspiracy-like hearsays would spread.” My father said.

I grabbed the sweating bottle of cola and drank it until its empty. I know it’s bad for my health, especially since I’m hospitalized. But my father knew that I love ruining my health because I’m a basement dweller who loves to eat junk food and drink soft drinks every day. Cola is usually my source of caffeine to keep my brain alive.

“So I would like to ask you a question.”

Suddenly, the atmosphere became chillingly cold. It’s a hot night in summer, but I’m feeling goosebumps. My father gave me this serious look.

“Treenity Innovations is currently falling. The way they are now, it’s bound to collapse. But we can save it, only if you will it. I won’t force you. We are aware of the risks of this business deal and the danger it encompasses. Your mother and I already talked about it, and now we will honor your decision. Regardless of your choice, we will now take it slow.”

I gulped to taste the last flavor of the carbonated drink sticking on my tongue. Somehow, I’m getting nervous maybe because of the caffeine on that cola I drank earlier.

“Are you still going to marry Raynevere?” My father asked.

I immediately had a flashback about my betrothed. Raynevere Treenity is a cheerful and friendly girl. Her movements are refined and elegant, and her cute white face makes my day bright. She’s a former beauty queen in our high school pageants. Her awesome body was trained because of being active in sports. She’s a popular sweetheart which is almost impossible to approach.

I can still remember her beautiful smile and her purple twinkling eyes. I can still sense the softness of her hand when she grabbed mine. I remember her happy face when we told fairy tales to her toddler cousins.

And I can still remember how she cried for the burning village, her dead relatives, and her missing grandfather. The image of her face weeping for my survival was already burnt to a part of my brain.

I remember her long dark gray hair swinging as she fought for me as my Gladiatrix. A few days ago, she pledged to fight with me in the upcoming Battle Fiesta.

Raynevere Treenity just made all my dreams come true without me realizing it.

And there’s no way I would ever let her go.

“I will still marry her.”

8