CHAPTER 59 – CEASEFIRE
68 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 59 - CEASEFIRE

The sun has set. Light and dark have started to fight over the skies.

Raynevere has been looking at me ever since Siferas said that we should have a second round for the sparring match. The Gladiatrix Champion is not satisfied with our performance earlier, so she wanted another go.

I glanced at Raynevere briefly, but she immediately averted her gaze. She bowed down and looked at her feet, her cheeks blushing. It’s a rare sight that Raynevere is the one being shy.

I took three seconds of staring at her until she finally met me eye to eye. Her purple eyes are watery as if she’s about to cry.

“Um, Mister Elzane. Are you sure about this? You still hate me, didn’t you?” Raynevere held her chest.

“Was it true then that you just used me?” I asked.

Raynevere did not answer. I think I know how her mind works now. I reckon she’s deciding if she wanted to push me away or revoke everything she admitted that night and accept that I’m already part of her problem. I won’t be able to tell which one is a lie either way.

It took about five whole seconds before I got sick of waiting and talked once again.

“It doesn’t matter. Our contract still prevails. You promised me that you will become my Gladiatrix and make me a Kaiser Champion. And I promised you to recover your family corporation and defeat that Masked Kaiser.”

“R-Right. We had a promise like that, back when after our first defeat.” Raynevere nodded.

“And I will also help in rescuing your Grandpa as a bonus. Just give me the Ultimate Grail for the Championship.” I said.

“O-Okay.” Raynevere nodded again.

There’s a cold air between us that means that our relationship had sustained some cracks, but it is not broken nonetheless. I am willing to be used if I have benefit underway. One of my ultimate dreams is to participate in the Battle Fiesta. Winning the cup is just a big bonus for a rookie Kaiser like me.

I will not fool myself anymore with those pipe dreams of having my crush in love with me. Having a partnership with her is just good enough. I don’t need to live a fairy tale life.

All we need is a ceasefire. We’re living in a dire situation, and quarreling among ourselves will just lead us to our doom.

I gave a bit of a smile at her and clenched my fist. “Let’s go beat the Gladiatrix Champion then!”

“R-Right! I will count on you, Mister Elzane!” Raynevere finally got her energy back.

<>

After our spiritual pump-up, Siferas and Nigel went back to us. Nigel is holding a wooden short sword that looked like it was used by some kids for some playful mock fights.

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” Siferas said. “Are you guys ready for Round 2?”

“We’re ready, Miss Siferas!” Raynevere jollily answered.

“There will be a modification of rules for this round. I will give you a win condition, or in human terms, a handicap.” Siferas proudly said.

Nigel approached Raynevere and gave her the wooden sword.

“For this battle, you will use that wooden sword. You cannot use your bow or any other weapon, but Elzane can use Command Cards to assist you. If you hit me once, just once, with that wooden sword, you win the match and I will train you. I will also give the Ultra Rare Command Card I promised.” Siferas said.

“Just once?” Raynevere repeated.

“Yes, just once. A graze to my uniform or hair will do. Also, my previous handicap by me stays the same. Nigel will stay out of the fight.” Siferas said. She’s silently flexing that she will not be hit no matter what, and she’s all too proud of it.

Raynevere looked at me, silently waiting for my decision.

“We’ll do it. We’re ready.” I said as I tapped my Kaiser Watch and five hologram cards appeared right in front of me.

“That’s good then!” Siferas jumped back to a safe distance and materialized her two black swords.

Meanwhile, Raynevere shifted to an elegant fencing stance. It seems like it’s not her first time handling a sword herself as her posture looked like those professional Cyber-Knights.

[Battle Start]

As soon as the system beeped, Siferas bolted forward with breakneck speed! Her acceleration exponentially increases her agility, and it’s hard to keep up with just my eyes! She closed the gap between her and Raynevere in an instant!

“Hah! Hyah!” Raynevere tried to intercept Siferas’ charge with her swift sword thrust, but Siferas managed to parry the sword two times!

“Too slow again!” Siferas ducked and then bolted upwards, unleashing two uppercut slashes!

“Activate Skill Card: Double Agility!” I revealed my first Command Card.

In an instant, green sparkles showered Raynevere as her speed doubled! With this boost, she managed to parry two of the black swords in time!

“Not bad!” Siferas jumped back, but then she immediately lunged forward with her two swords spread outwards and spinning like a top! 

1