Chapter 5 – Leveling Up
308 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Yawn." Baris frowned slightly, and tapped his thigh. His eyebrows went upward. "Status on!"

"Holy she-ite!" Baris swore in surprise. "Full hit points, and only fifteen injury points! Can I take a closer look at the injury section?" His eyes focused on the injury portion, and though he could see the information, a second film did not pop up. It was just a bit of extra text.

"I see." He reached down and nodded. "The skin grafts are healed and turned into regular skin. I still have some scarring, and the bone tumor. Okay. It's going to be painful to walk a lot....yeah, look at that! My hit points went up!" He frowned slightly.

"What are all these unassigned skill points?" He frowned slightly as he looked at his status plate. "Oh. I missed the warning message. Because I've never rested on this world before, the status plate had no opportunity to fully integrate. The status plate is now updated with all skill points that should have been added when each skill rose in level." He frowned slightly.

"This seems a little overpowered, but I'm as weak as a kitten out here. Even with these new points, my skills will take forever to level once I get into the apprentice level, and my levels will grow slowly as well. I don't think I'll refuse these gifts since I'm locked out of the starter town, and have no starter gear."

Baris started to flip through the information tabs, and quickly added up the points, just to make sure he wasn't going to suffer for this later.

"Nine points from the skills waking up. That should be a plus of fifty one points, but I think the skill only wakes up when I level it to the second level. That means only forty two points. Nine is already assigned, but looks like it won't update until all the points are assigned." He tapped his lips. "Very detail oriented system."

He quickly assigned the points evenly across his stats. He always played as a tank, but he knew that all his attributes would help him survive. No sense in becoming a tank that was as dumb as a brick.

"Another message?" He blinked as he read the warning.

'Caution. Level has been rolled back to two due to double dipping error from experience points due to harvesting meat and materials. Experience will only be awarded for monsters, animal kills, and crafting. Skills will continue to level up, including cooking and animal harvesting.'

"Not going to lie, I am disappointed, but it did seem too good to be true. What would happen when I kill a bear after I get strong enough? That's a lot of fat, bone, and meat."

 

* * *

 

"Oh, my screen just updated again! The mortality rate went down again around Noobville, and Steepbell! Looks like another wolf has been killed?" Ethys went over to her sister.

"Yeah. I just finished updating his status plate. I must have made a subtle error when I grafted it. He got points for the kill, for harvesting, and for cooking. He would have triple dipped in the end, and would have grown far too fast. Now, he can stick around that area, level up, and cull the over population of wolves, and higher leveled variants." Nuella said, which made Ethys grin.

"Though that does help me, it also brings the area back into balance, doesn't it?" Her sister nodded. "That's a good thing. I don't know what is wrong with those guys in Noobville and Steepbell. They aren't even hunting anymore." Ethys said with a slight snarl.

"Not to worry, dear sister." Nuella said with a soft smile. "My little fatty will fix these imbalances for you." Ethys giggled and walked back to her system, and completely missed her sister's hardening eyes.

"A little memory loss is nothing compared to the lesson you have waiting for you, dear sister." She looked at her screen, and the large fat bearded human who jumped out of a tree and landed on another helpless wolf.

She couldn't help but smile at this man's antics. For some reason, she felt a bit happier now that he was around.

 

* * *

 

"Another broken spear. Well, that sucks. Although, that brings me back up to level three." Baris picked the large grey wolf up with one hand, and frowned.

"Are you hollow?" His strength was now a bit higher, as he had already set the unassigned points to his stats, almost like he got a slight boost from the points before they stabilized.

"Hm, I should follow this brook to the northwest." He looked at the rising sun, and nodded. "Maybe I'll find a settlement, or that starter town, and can ask the guards to get a merchant to come out."

With his pack over one shoulder, the only spear he had curled up in his fingers, he hefted the dead grey wolf and walked along the stream. Without his broken leg, he felt incredible for once.

The doctors knew why his leg wouldn't heal, but the one he dealt with was a bastard. Thought fat men like him should either get up and exercise, or die.

Baris wanted the doctor to strap on shoes with a sharp stone built in, pointed into the sole of their foot and see how far they can walk. His tumor made every step painful, and he was only able to walk in the first place due to a high pain tolerance. He stayed fat because they wouldn't fix his foot, and his leg would never heal because his weight kept the fracture from staying healed.

However, thanks to this world, and his new regenerative ability, his leg finally stopped the ache, and the pain reduced by quite a bit. The two falls out of the tree he's had in the last two days did not further injure him, or hurt him.

After two hours, he finally found what he wanted to see.

"A road! Yes!"

 

* * *

 

"Jarbuk!" An average sized dwarvish man turned his head.

"Zentha. What can I help you with?" He was respectful to this tall woman due to her position within Noobville. She was an oracle for Nuella, as well as a receptionist for the Adventurers Guild. She was friendly with him, even if he knew that his fiancee didn't like him hanging around her.

The reason is that his fiancee was jealous. Shaala wasn't quite as tall, or as ample chested. Shaala was also a wood elf, with pale blonde hair, and light colored horns that curved around her brow and over her ears. Zentha was a bit taller, heavier chested, with nearly black hair that tumbled in soft curls about her shoulders, and horns that started on top of her forehead and curled up over her head.

"I hate to ask this of you, but Nuella wants you to return to Steepbell right away. Apparently, she wants you to meet someone on the way back. I know you wanted to rest a bit, but this is the goddess who asks." Zentha looked quite conflicted as well. She didn't want this attractive dwarf to leave so quickly.

"Did she say anything else?" He asked. She sighed a bit.

"Just to have the standard merchandise on hand, and someone with the ability to use magic. You can use the basics, right?" Zentha asked.

"Yeah. Fire. Frost. Wind. Arc. Should I bring a few primers?" he asked quietly.

"One specific one. An animal harvesting primer."

 

11