Act 4: Fallen Heaven – Chapter 623: Avril’s Hope
232 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avril looked at the woman, and the more displeased she felt. That arrogant face and the high-and-mighty tone reminded her of the devils who accompanied her mistress, foul fiends who deserved no pity. She pushed ahead, ignoring the shouts of the others, a burst of strength surging with each step. The door slammed shut from a forceful swipe of her hand, and her spell extended roots from her shadow, locking the door. Now, no one could interrupt her. Returning to her seat, Avril received shocked gazes from Celestina, Serena, and Gavir.

"That won't cause any trouble, right? She rubs her hair nervously and worries she caused trouble." Avril said, chuckling weakly. Oscar always warned her not to go overboard, but it was too late.

"No. I swear on my name that no harm shall come to you, and if the one outside wants to retaliate, I will protect you." Celestina grabbed the scroll the annoying woman had brought. The princess's grip was very strong, crushing the scroll, its center squeezing into a needle's width. Light shone like a beautiful glove on her hand. Without hesitation, Celestina burned the scroll, leaving nothing, not even ashes, as if the scroll's very existence offended her. Her scowl faded. A smile lifted on her fair countenance, and a song of cheerful laughter rang out from her red lips. Serena joined in, failing to hold her laughter behind her hands. Celestina folded her arms and exhaled deeply. "I've always wanted to do that. Like Oscar, you're quite unpredictable and worrisome."

"What happened to him?" Avril's voice dropped, her eyes forward. Her hands gripped themselves pale and trembled. She didn't know why they hesitated, that sadness darkening their faces the longer the silence continued. Celestina seemed to struggle to speak, so Avril broke the silence first. "No matter what happened to him, no matter what state he is in, I am here for him. I am Avril Terr, his wife. She's tired of the secrets and wants to know."

"It's a long story. I don't know where to start." Celestina said. "Perhaps, from the very beginning." She narrated everything from when Oscar first landed on the continent, and Avril listened quietly, not missing a single word of her husband's heroics and achievements. The news of Oscar's parents' deaths struck her like a dagger to the heart. Oscar always spoke of returning to the farm and spending more time with his parents. For him to never have that chance…she shut her eyes as they began to water, tears leaking from the shut eyelids.

The more she heard, the more she wished she had never listened. But it was her duty to know. Celestina also broke into tears, casting a murky green over the pools of tears overflowing. Avril almost lifted her hands to stop listening but forcibly held them back. Oscar had suffered…no, suffered wasn't the right word to describe the horrors he faced, the tragedy that befell him. His master was dead. He had been betrayed by the elder he respected since his younger days. All of his friends were dead. Avril bit her lips, dug her nails red into her skin, and drenched her long skirt in unending tears.

"He left?" Avril asked.

"Gone," Celestina stated listlessly. She lowered her head, hair drooping to touch the floor. "I'm sorry."

"We're sorry. We all failed Oscar. He's the true hero, but unlike the stories, there was no victory." Serena bowed, followed by Gavir.

"But he's alive…." Avril rose to her feet and lifted Celestina by the hands, returning the embrace from earlier. "She thanks her for being there for Oscar when she could not. I am glad he didn't lose everyone. You're all still here, and I am as well." Celestina didn't reply. They remained still, shedding tears in each other's warmth. Separating, Avril felt an urge and tiptoed higher, resting a hand on Celestina's silver hair and caressing it gently like a mother. "Thank you. She can't imagine the pain and burdens you bear." In the same way that Oscar always comforted her, she couldn't help but do the same to this pitiful princess.

"Are you not worried? He's broken." Celestina said, seeming more relaxed. "The Pavilion Master said there's nothing in him anymore."

"But he's alive." Avril grinned. Oscar had experienced terrible, horrible tragedies that went beyond any she had faced in her past. Imagining the pain and sorrow drowning him was not possible. But he was alive, and that was good enough for her. She believed in him, her smile deepening as her tear-stained eyes mellowed. "We have a promise, and I know he will keep it. She will wait for him for years and years if that's what it takes. She has faith." After all they had been through together, she knew he would come back, and upon his return, she would hold him tight and never let go. To let him know that he wasn't alone.

"You really…are…amazing." Celestina finally reciprocated her smile. "I assume you won't want a banquet to honor your arrival. The New Dawn might be looking for you. Have you had a meal yet?"

"First, can we leave? She is excited to meet the children Oscar adopted." Avril glanced around, wondering where the children were. Unexpectedly, she was now the mother of a five-year-old girl and a seven-year-old boy. Her excitement to meet her new children was quickly dampened by the series of knocks on the door, a powerful and oppressive Ein seeping through the gap under the floor. The presence was overwhelming and oddly similar to another, the aura of a superior being. Was there another monster like her former mistress? A Grade Nine?

Gavir, Serena, and Celestina stood in front of her, holding back the immense pressure, her breathing recovering to normal thanks to their aid. The door opened, and a handsome man with impossibly beautiful features as if carved by a master sculptor entered. His blue hair parted in the center, symmetrically falling down the sides of his head, not a strand out of place. The deep blue eyes shone like the ocean under sunlight. He wore a golden tunic and white pants that made him resemble a prince of a great emperor in the stories Oscar read to her.

"Lockwood. Why are you here? There is no business for the emissary of the Bloodlands in the princess's office." Gavir straightened his back, parallel to the dark spear in his grip. Avril finally remembered the name Gilbert Lockwood, whom Oscar described as a selfish prick.

"One of my wives returned, having been struck by a stranger. I wish to understand how such an offense transpired." Gilbert didn't seem angered and put on a welcoming air, the previous terrifying presence fading. A calm and reasonable man now stood before them. Avril stepped out before the others could reply and faced Gilbert, his blue eyes slightly raising at her, faint glimmers of interest sparkling in those pupils, not hiding the attraction toward her. He bowed slightly and extended his hand, waiting for her to take it, "I do not know you, my fair lady. I am Gilbert Lockwood. May I know yours?"

"Nope. Only my husband and friends can know my name." Avril shook her head and dragged Celestina and Serena by the arms, heading to the exit. She wanted to get out as soon as possible, unsettled by Gilbert's presence that strongly compared to her former mistress's. Forcing herself to keep calm, she replied to Gilbert without looking back, "Your rude wife barged in and interrupted. I taught her some manners. Farewell." She scampered away, fearful of staying longer.

"Wait." Gilbert trailed behind. Gavir stepped in between, his courage admirable to intervene in the path of a Grade Nine. Gilbert gave up chasing and spoke louder, "Princess, I am still awaiting your decision. I sent my wife to invite you to join me in the Bloodlands, and now I say it here."

"No. My place is here. You can move on to the heights you wish for. I will go on my path." Celestina sighed, grinding her teeth.

"The war is over, my dear princess. The hundreds of years of waiting have ended. The Brilliant Drake Empire has claimed hegemony over the continent. You are free. Prince Charles can take over. Let your wings spread. I can't bear the thought of you holding yourself back." Gilbert said, his charming words sounding like sewage to Avril's ears.

"And with my freedom, I choose to live for my people and empire. Farewell, I have to be with my friends. By all means, live well in the Bloodlands." Celestina snarked. Her brow tensed with deep lines of anger.

Avril led them out of the room and down several stairs, stopping to laugh. The others couldn't contain themselves and joined in, their cheers echoing in the broken halls. Gavir watched from the side, smiling warmly at them. Avril hummed and exclaimed, excited, "I'm glad to have new friends. She's so excited."

"I haven't felt this gratified since the end of the war. That bastard never stopped pressing on our precious princess." Serena frowned deeply. "If only that bastard came earlier…."

"We can't dwell on the ifs. All we can do is live in what is. Our lives have to carry on our duties for all that died, for all who suffered." Celestina looked somber, but Avril flicked her forehead, Oscar's signature technique for knocking her from whatever mood she might be in. Celestina rubbed her reddened forehead, raising a brow, clearly confused.

"Then don't look so sad. When Oscar saw the people who died in the Burning Valley for him, he grieved but bounced back. She remembers him saying he needed to live a happy life to make their sacrifices worth it. She flicks her again." Avril flicked Celestina's forehead again. The three chuckled again, especially Celestina, who let loose as if pouring out all the bottled-up emotions in her heart.

"That's right….If I can't hold a smile for the future that they built, then what was the point?" Celestina thanked Avril. Her mood was visibly better, with a healthy complexion on her smooth, relaxed face. Almost prancing, she took Avril and Serena outside, where the streets and houses held no distinction, bricks and rocks everywhere in ruins. Workers cleared parts of rubble and laid down foundations for new houses. Celestina personally thanked each worker, receiving their praises of confidence in her. She was a good person.

After a few minutes, Avril arrived at a half-broken estate, its ceiling gone and part of the structure ruined. An old butler and two maids greeted them inside before two children peeked their small heads from the side and strode toward her. Their adorable, small legs were too cute. She knelt to meet them at eye level and caressed their heads, unable to contain her joy. "Hello, I am your mother."

7