Act 4: Fallen Heaven – Chapter 634: The Past Hurts
256 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avril hastily unlatched the broken armor, tossing the pieces without care, a sound like glass shattering echoing behind her. Squeezing another wet towel, she wiped down most of his body, grimacing at the large scar, like a gaping hole, on his chest over where the core should be as if something had pierced through it. The droplet of grade-five healing elixir had done good work repairing Oscar's body, but this scar had come from the King Exalt, Saul, a mark that persisted unless she could find a more potent reagent. Gnashing her teeth, Avril cursed Saul.

She slathered a salve made from herbs onto his skin and bandaged him. After doing the same for Erden, Avril wiped more sweat from her brow, hoping nothing would go wrong tonight. She sighed in relief as color returned to Oscar's pale skin, and the stench of blood faded, replaced by the pleasing scent of herbs and roots. But the sight of the bloody table made her gulp. Knowing her thoughts, Remulus waved his hand, and the blood disappeared, a speck-and-span table glinting the ceiling crystal's light.

"Thank you." Avril lifted Oscar and Erden and took him to the common room. Tenderly, she rested him on the soft chair and Erden on the rug. The fireplace crackled and spewed embers when more wood was tossed into it, the air rising in heat. Sweat beaded down her face while she stirred the coals with a poker, its tip red and hot, causing her sleeves to stick to her arms. A red flush spread up to Oscar's cheeks, a welcome sight, but as her eyes traveled upward to the lifeless gaze, she shuddered, feeling a chill envelop her.

To see such a look on Oscar was unnerving. Avril breathed in and out, calming herself. Oscar needed her help right now. Wavering here was not allowed, not when it meant helping him. Rummaging in the closet, she pulled out several thick fur blankets for Erden and Oscar. As she tucked Oscar into the soft fur, she embraced him again and confirmed her worries. He was warm, at least his body was. When they had embraced for the first time, she had felt a different warmth that soothed her, and when they embraced after realizing their love, the warmth had reached her soul.

'There's nothing. He's so cold.' Avril couldn't sense that bright heat that once resonated with her. It was cold, very cold. Her palms held his face, and she lifted her face, gold meeting black, their gazes meeting. Not even a ripple in that lifeless stare. Her right thumb caressed his cheek. For many years, she had dreamed of being this close to him to feel his warmth and receive his loving gaze. But the warmth had vanished, and the eyes were dead. She leaned forward and kissed his forehead, not at all satisfying as before.

"Return when you are ready. She wants him to rest." She knelt, resting her head on the armchair. "I should cook a nice steak for him." She raised a brow at Remulus and chuckled, "Is there a reason to keep that mask on? You're indoors, master."

"Is it? Tonight has been so eventful that I have forgotten." Remulus took off his mask, deep wrinkles like chasms across the face, dry like the desert, showing themselves. He stepped forward, then hesitated for a couple of seconds, a tinge of regret darkening his expression, wincing in sorrow. Avril reached out for the old elder's withered hand, craggily and rough, and smiled gently, letting him know it was alright. He could make up for his mistakes now. Remulus gave a wry smile and nodded, led by her steps. He knelt in the manner of great apology. "Oscar. Grand-disciple. It has been many years."

Oscar jolted, a reaction she did not expect. Avril hurried to his side and saw his lips trembling, every part of his body shivering to his fingers and toes. What roused him? Excited, Avril waited, eager for him to awaken. A choked groan gurgled from his mouth, and he shook more violently. Her smile fell flat as horror widened her eyes. This process, this reaction was familiar. Shockingly, his behavior was unlike hers when she underwent her breakdowns before Oscar could help her. Wrapping her arms around his trembling figure, she said, "Oscar! Listen to me. She rubs his back, hoping he will respond. It's alright. Forget it. Forget it all."

Tears streaked down her face. Why did the same curse afflict her beloved? Why did the world have to be so cruel to break him to this extent? She hummed into his ear and swayed as if rocking him like a baby. The shaking showed signs of slowing, his chest not heaving heavily anymore. A little more, and he would be relaxed. But her hopes were dashed as the door opened, and three people entered.

"Mom, you're back! We got worried since you rushed out and looked around for Aunt Maia." Gloria announced, ever so lively.

"You're too loud. Tone it down." Renn knocked his sister's head gently, irritation brewing on that handsome face. "Mom, what's the matter?"

'Please, no.' Avril paled. She knew exactly what may tick off Oscar's outbursts and seizures, the very same that afflicted her. Seeing Remulus's face and voice set him off just now, and she feared worse would happen from those three, especially the white-haired woman in the middle, standing behind the children.

Before her lips could speak out the words, her fears became reality. Maia approached, passing the two, and said, "What's wrong, Avril? Who is that you're…." Her crimson pupils shrank, her face frozen in shock as her lips gaped slightly. "H-he's–"

In her embrace, Oscar shook violently and burst out. Avril was flung away and crashed into the wall, the pain from her back crushing her lungs and escaping as dry gasps. Oscar bolted toward Maia, who shouted at the children and pushed them away before she stamped her foot, fire spreading from her soles to form a blazing red barrier. He punched the wall, the sheer force rippling the barrier into violent waves akin to an ocean under a storm. In no time, the barrier collapsed, its dense fire flickering away into embers.

"Oscar Terr!" Maia retreated and summoned her snake anima, scarlet flames coiling around the white snake. Her powerful Ein spiked dangerously, engulfing the entire room. Renn and Gloria stared blankly at the man they once called father, their response understandable considering he had left them. Oddly, Oscar stood in the middle of the room, unmoving and unresponsive.

"Stop!" Avril shouted, regaining her voice. Maia halted, blood dripping from her bitten lips, and clenched her hands, a bloodshot glare at her husband. Avril knew the pain Maia felt but pleaded. "Please stop. She doesn't want to see them fight."

A roar numbed her ears. The room quaked, cracks spreading from Oscar's feet. He let out a wail and clutched his head, his knees dropping to the floor. Avril gripped her hands and drew closer, one careful step at a time. She didn't want to agitate him further. However, Oscar screamed, raising his voice to the heavens and leaning his head back. In one motion, he swung his head onto the floor, spraying chunks of wood, marble, and stone. Something warm hit her cheek, the foul scent giving it away. She wiped it and saw fresh blood on her fingers.

Oscar raised his head and swung down again. The loud sound of his pounding drummed up from her shoes to her heart and sparked a piercing agony in every single one. He repeated it several times, shouting incoherently as the floor caved in. Blood splattered further and further on each swing, dyeing the room in red. A few minutes passed until she realized she was doing nothing, caught dumb by the terrible scene. Avril found strength in her legs and rushed out, sending forth roots to entangle him. He struggled against her spell, about to tear open his wound. Suddenly, he stopped, encased in a box of Ein. Remulus had acted, using a time spell to stop Oscar from damaging himself.

"Everyone get out," Avril warned, pouring some elixir into Oscar's mouth.

"Mom…we–" Renn spoke up.

"Get out. Wait in the dining room. I have to help your father." As the others left, Avril took out several more elixirs, draughts that numbed the mind and softened the body. While the lower grades barely affected higher Exalts, she had no choice, possessing only these lower elixirs. For good measure, she mixed in some sleep-inducing elixirs. Thankfully, non-combatant elixirs weren't so selfish and acted together with each other. Slowly, Oscar's eyes closed, and Remulus undid the spell, wearing a mask now.

Returning him to the chair to rest, Avril picked at his messy hair, tidying it up. She held his face again, saddened. She dabbed his bloody forehead with a handkerchief and bandaged the wound. Her gaze lingered on his face. Even asleep, he looked deeply troubled, presumably in an endless nightmare. Giving a glance to Erden, who rested peacefully, she exited the room and closed the door slowly, quietly, to avoid disturbing them.

"I am sorry. I'm sorry." Remulus said, clear shame in his voice. "I am a King Exalt, yet my powers can never help the ones I need to help."

"It's not your fault. She shakes her head." Avril said.

"Might as well be," Remulus replied, shaking his head. "Go. I will watch over him. If he starts again, I'll stop him and call for you."

In the dining room, Renn and Gloria stood by the table, tapping their feet on the floor, clearly nervous. They turned to her, a wordless question in their gazes, asking why now? Avril glanced around, confused. Where was Maia? She promised to talk to them later and went outside, walking toward the main hall where Maia sat on the stairs.

"Are you alright?" Avril asked, sitting by her friend.

"He's your husband?" Maia went straight to the point. "You mentioned waiting for someone, but I didn't expect it would be him."

"I had to hide his identity and my last name. Today was not what she wanted to happen. She wanted them to meet in another way." Avril spoke quickly, nervous.

"And Renn and Gloria…." Maia buried her face in her hands, already knowing the answer.

"They're war orphans from Orbis. Long ago, Oscar picked them up and left, and she took the responsibility of caring for them with Maia." Avril said.

"Orbis. Orbis." Maia laughed hysterically, looking more crazed by the second. "What a horrid twist of fate."

7