Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 8: Let’s become Exalts
2.2k 5 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Exalts were powerful individuals who stood above all others.

From the moment a person is born, they are either blessed to have an Exolsia core that allows them to ascend into Exalts or not.

However, that is only possible by the great amount of Ein that permeates the world. Ein is the quintessential energy that is the basis of all things. The Exolsia core is the funnel that sucks in Ein and processes it to integrate with the person.

The more Ein it collects, the more the Exolsia core coalesces and matures into the next evolution. This evolution is the reason for the division of Exalt powers. From Apprentice to King, each stage of an Exalt is a different form of evolution of the core.

Gathering Ein strains the body and mind. As if understanding this, the Exolsia core shows itself at an adolescent age; the optimal age to begin was determined as fifteen. Of course, a person can start their training later, but the path as an Exalt is long and arduous.

Oscar reviewed the notes written in the Ein Gathering manual he received from Elder Saul moments ago.

The different grades of the Exolsia core determined how fast it could process the Ein and how easily the core could evolve. Little wonder why the higher grades could progress and advance faster than others.

"According to this, I have to meditate and breathe accordingly. Given time, I should be able to feel the Ein and try to absorb it. Ein meditation."

Oscar glanced at Frederick on the other side of the room. Frederick was already deep in his Ein meditation. Although he joked around and was untidy, Frederick was serious about his Exalt training.

Not wanting to fall behind, Oscar crossed his legs and straightened his back to attempt Ein meditation. The room was silent except for the long breathing noises of the two boys.

Thirty minutes passed, but Oscar still did not feel anything. The manual mentioned the first step to awakening the core and sensing Ein to be the hardest. Once the core is opened, it can gather Ein much more easily.

Oscar felt his body tensing up from staying still for too long. Frederick was doing better since he had been trained to meditate since he was a boy.

As he tried to meditate, more sweat gathered on Oscar's head, and his face reddened. Eventually, Oscar stopped and gasped for air. The manual's particular way of breathing left his lungs unsatisfied and craving air.

He got up, retrieved a bottle of water from his bag, and emptied the bottle in a few gulps.

"Phew"

Trying to awaken the Exolsia core and gather Ein brought on fits of thirst and hunger. Oscar munched on some jerky his family provided him.

How can he advance? The question stuck to Oscar's every thought. Silently, he pondered as he munched on the scraps of meat.

'I meditated for hours, yet I didn't feel any hint of Ein entering my body. Is it just a matter of trying for days?'

"Os, have you awoken your core?" Frederick finished his session, but he was in better condition than Oscar.

Oscar handed Frederick some of his jerkies and said, "I just can't feel the Ein. How about you?"

Frederick answered, "I can feel tiny bits of Ein entering me, but it'll take more to awaken the core."

As a noble, Frederick was given various training to make it easier for him to enter a meditative state and sense the Ein. Although he grumbled about it numerous times, Frederick felt grateful for suffering for this moment.

"Don't worry about it, Oscar." Frederick sensed his friend's irritation. "You need to give it time. You just have to start going by it step by step."

"I need a breather." Oscar felt stuffy after the long hours of meditation. The outside air may be a good refresher.

"I'll stay inside. I feel that I'm close." Frederick gulped down his water and resumed his meditation.

After a long flight of stairs, Oscar made it to the ground. The two suns were starting to set as twilight rolled over. Taking a deep breath, Oscar felt relaxed and comfortable.

The long grass fields swaying, the sounds of the river flowing, and the slight twinkling of the stars that illuminated the sky.

Gleefully, he treaded through the fields and explored around. He did not enter any of the facilities because it was getting dark. Ever since he was young, his family rule was to be home by nighttime.

He stopped when he accidentally arrived at Elder Saul's cabin. The elder was still resting in his reclining chair.

Elder Saul opened his eyes and glanced at Oscar. Unlike earlier, Oscar did not feel the cold, oppressive aura that terrified him.

"What are you here for?" Saul questioned Oscar.

Oscar hastily bowed and greeted Elder Saul before answering, "I was wandering around to relax and rudely intruded on your rest. Forgive me."

Elder Saul did not speak and retreated to his rest, not minding Oscar's presence.

This was the first time a student came to Saul and talked to him. Often, they were too busy trying to get resources, finish missions, or train themselves. But now, Oscar suddenly shows up, wanting to relax.

"Why are you relaxing?" Elder Saul asked. It wasn't enough to say he was interested but rather a tiny, minuscule hint of curiosity.

Oscar was taken aback that Elder Saul asked him a question. From what he figured, this Elder preferred to be left alone.

"I was stuck in my meditation and unable to sense Ein. I thought coming outside would take my mind off of it." Oscar said, embarrassed. As a student of Blue Ocean Pavilion, it would not be a good look to be seen as a slacker.

"That's a good approach." Elder Saul replied.

"G-Good?" Oscar was confused. Weren't Exalts supposed to do everything in their power to evolve?

"Try Ein meditation here." Elder Saul instructed Oscar to train.

"Here?" Oscar questioned.

"Yes, do it here." Elder Saul gave off the same monotone voice.

Oscar took his meditation pose and used the breathing technique. Time passed on, but Oscar did not feel as tired as before. Slowly, his mind sank into a stupor as the outside sounds deafened him.

In this stillness, Oscar felt something. He felt a small wisp of glowing light hover over his body. The tiny light got closer to him as Oscar breathed in and entered his skin.

A nice warm feeling sprouted out from his chest, reverberating through his body.

Oscar felt as though he could see inside himself. He saw the small wisp flow through his body and reach his center. An orb the size of his fist absorbed the light and started to glow a dim, dull shine.

"Ha…ha"

Oscar finally broke free of his state and breathed large volumes of air.

"Don't do that. Take in the air slowly until it fills your lungs, then exhale it slowly. You do not want to over-stress your lungs or agitate your mind by doing large intakes." Elder Saul advised.

Following Elder Saul's instructions, Oscar breathed in for a few moments and then exhaled; his body stopped trembling, and his face was calm. But his eyes were full of excitement and glee.

"I felt it! The tiny wisps of Ein." Oscar beamed a bright smile.

Elder Saul was about to go back to rest until Oscar interrupted.

"Why did it work?" Oscar asked.

"What?"

"Why did it work this time and not before?"

"You weren't in the right state of mind." Elder Saul sighed.

"Mind?" Oscar did not understand.

"Being an Exalt relies heavily on having a healthy mind. Nobles like your friend earlier are trained to maintain a good state of mind in most situations. A good state of mind means better senses."

"So, my mind was unbalanced?"

"You're a commoner and have just arrived at the Blue Ocean Pavilion of everyone's dreams. You passed the trials and became a student here. No matter what you tell yourself, do you think your mind was the slightest bit calm?"

Like struck by lightning, Oscar felt paralyzed by the truth. Indeed, his mind had been occupied by training and becoming an Exalt. Compounded by the deep thoughts about his Grade Four and Outer Hall, his mind was certainly not in the best state.

"Now that I've come outside to relax and free my mind, it helped me properly meditate."

He felt irritated and worried during the whole Ein meditation back in his room. No wonder he could not sense a single Ein. His mind was too cluttered.

"Thank you, Elder." Oscar was grateful for this Elder's advice.

Elder Saul did not reply and went back to sleep. Oscar did not want to interrupt the Elder a third time, so he leaped back towards his room. It was starting to get dark, so he needed to return.

"Fred! I got it!" Oscar burst into the room and shocked Frederick out of his bed.

"Os! You interrupted my meditation!" Frederick shouted back and threw his pillow at Oscar, hitting him squarely in the face.

Oscar was too excited; he did not mind and cast the pillow aside.

"Fred! I finally sensed the Ein. I also saw my core; it shone a tiny bit when the Ein entered."

"Huh? You did it?!" Frederick was shocked because he expected Oscar to take days before finally entering the state for meditation. It took him a while to properly enter that state.

"I was outside and…." Oscar explained where he went and how Elder Saul gave him advice. Frederick looked on in wonder as Oscar retold his tale.

"There was such a cheat?" Frederick roared in anger, making Oscar step back.

"Goddamn family, forcing me to go through that harsh meditation training. I swear I still have bruises from being hit for moving." Frederick went on a tirade about everything his family did to him so he could meditate properly.

"Good, good. Starting tomorrow, I'll relax all I want." Frederick proudly proclaimed.

Oscar had a bad feeling and said, "I don't think your idea of relaxation is what Elder Saul meant. I just had to get my mind to free itself of all idle thoughts."

"Doesn't hurt to try," Frederick mumbled.

"I'm going to meditate more." Oscar did not want to waste another moment. He got on top of his bed and started to meditate.

The two meditated again, but this time, Oscar did not seem as irritated or sweaty. His face was peaceful, and his mind was clear. He envisioned himself back in the fields at home, losing himself in the tall wheat.

Slowly, another wisp of Ein entered Oscar and to his core, which shone a little brighter. However, the process was slow, and his legs were getting numb. He could only see one Ein per two hours.

Stopping his Ein meditation, Oscar went to the bathroom to take a bath. The water felt soothing after a long three days.

In the past few days, he slept on an airship and saw the great gates of the Blue Ocean Pavilion. He landed on the great port and saw the largest crowd he had ever seen. He underwent a tiring trial in the mountain.

He made a good friend in Frederick. Although it was only three days, he felt he could trust Frederick, a noble but a good man.

"Hey! Are you done in there?" Frederick's voice interrupted his reminiscence. Oscar chuckled and finished bathing, changing into comfortable clothes for sleeping.

"It's all yours."

Oscar lay down on his bed and closed his eyes. Today was so eventful that Oscar wondered what tomorrow would bring.

Eventually, sleep came to Oscar as he drifted into his dreams.

During this time, at Elder Saul's cabin. A mysterious figure came to where Saul was resting.

"This is the second time someone has annoyed me while resting at night. What do you want?" Elder Saul peered at the intruder; it was Great Elder Robert Levitt.

"Sorry for the intrusion during your time of rest. But I need to speak to you." Robert bowed.

If anyone were present to see this, their eyes would fall out of their sockets. The revered Great Elder Robert spoke respectfully to that Elder Saul, who maintained the fields and cleaned up any mess.

"Speak." Elder Saul spoke.

"Through our efforts, we have deduced the window of time the Ashen Grove may open. It will be in four to five years."

"Ashen Grove?" Elder Saul's eyes opened completely.

"We will be sending out more resources to the Inner and Outer Halls in hopes of our students getting stronger than before."

"Anything else?" Saul asked.

"No, that is all." Robert departed, leaving Saul alone on his chair.

Elder Saul sighed. "Looks like hectic times are coming."

All the students were resting, unaware of the upheaval that was coming.

75