Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 103: The Black Sheep, Robert Raeven
1k 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oscar groaned and fell to his knees. He lost count of how many times he was bested by the phantom cuts of the sword wills. But there was someone who was keeping score.

"That's 247 now. You've been at this all morning, and the suns are starting their trek downward." Robert sat while watching over Oscar. His harsh words about Oscar's losses cut deeply into the young boy.

"Not yet…." Oscar was pale, and blood was dripping down from his mouth. Although the cuts weren't real, the pain was. "I can still do this."

"Stop." Robert's silent pressure bore down on Oscar, forcing him back to his knees. "You are getting nowhere."

Oscar regained his composure and looked at Robert pleadingly for him to keep going. "I still have to try."

"And? What will come of it?" Robert questioned. "What makes you think this time will be different from the others?"

"How can I know if I do not try?" Oscar refuted.

Robert sighed and stood up. His tall figure blocked out the light of the two suns as he got closer to Oscar. His black eyes stared down at Oscar with contempt. "Try? What part of this is trying? This is merely banging your head on the wall repeatedly."

Oscar fumed internally and groaned from Robert's chastisement.

"Phillip told me about you. He said he respected you. Was he mistaken? I only see an arrogant child who believes too much in himself."

"I do not." Oscar spat out.

"Really? Enough to believe he can take on an entire swarm alone, only to end up saved by Phillip's blade. Enough to believe he can go on a mission to take down an Elite Exalt beast. You were saved by your comrades' efforts and nothing more."

Robert brought his face close to Oscar's. Their black eyes locked gazes.

"Now you believe what you're doing here is enough to break through these swords. If that isn't the height of arrogance, what is? Look at your missing ear; isn't that the result of your idiocy?"

"I AM NOT." Oscar tried hard to pull himself out of Robert's powerful pressure. Veins popped over his head as he shouted to get himself out.

"Now, what fuels you to try to oppose me? Why do you want to get stronger?" Robert asked as the pressure increased on Oscar. Cracking noises could be heard as Oscar tried to resist.

"I want to be stronger! I don't want to be useless in the battles. I want to win against my enemies. I'm tired of being a burden." Oscar cried out as his knees were beginning to buckle. If he continues this, they may break.

He thought about Frederick and how he could do nothing for him. He thought about Celestina and her situation in which he was powerless to do anything. If only he were stronger to take down Gilbert or Doyle.

Robert smacked Oscar down to the floor. He opted to hit him personally rather than increase the pressure.

"A Middle Apprentice Exalt wandering into the lands of the Elite Exalts. Did you think you wouldn't be a burden?" Robert scolded.

Oscar could not get back up. His body had finally given in as his eyes darkened. Robert's words kept echoing in his mind.

When he next awoke, he was in his bed.

The flames of the brazier were flickering, inducing soft, comforting sounds of a warm flame.

"You're up." Robert was by the brazier again. "Your training will continue tomorrow."

He began to walk out but turned to face Oscar, who was struggling to get up. "Open your mind. What's the one thing you aren't doing or even thinking of in your arrogance." With that, Robert left without more to say.

Time slowly passed as Oscar stared blankly at the fires. Within the waning and waxing of the flames, he pondered.

What was so arrogant about him wanting to be stronger? What was wrong with him refusing to back down and try again? He admitted that he could not help his team in a different capacity but still fulfilled his role.

'What am I not doing? He said I am too arrogant to do it or think of it.'

It grated on his nerves, and he fidgeted around in his bed. In a bid to calm his mind, Oscar rushed out of his room. Since this was a large estate, there should be a library.

He looked around for any servants but found none in his vicinity. He wandered the empty halls, wondering where everyone was.

"Oscar?"

Oscar turned to whoever called out. It was Phillip.

"Phillip."

Phillip looked like he just came out of the bath with his slightly wet hair. He looked and saw Oscar's downcast face. "Where are you headed?"

"The library. Do you have one here?"

"The library? We do have one room if that's what you want to call a library. Follow me." Phillip waved Oscar over and guided them through the hallways.

As they walked, Phillip glanced at Oscar repeatedly before asking, "How was your training?"

"Horrible." Oscar immediately answered.

Phillip chuckled. "Who is your instructor?"

"Robert Raeven. You know about him?" Oscar asked.

"Him? You can say he's my great uncle. He was in the same generation as my grandfather but only possessed a Grade Three Exolsia Core." Phillip was shocked that Robert was Oscar's instructor.

"A Grade Three?" Oscar stopped for a moment and looked on, stunned.

"Yup, he's known as the black sheep of the Raevens, who usually field grade sixes and above. Even his children are in higher grades than him." Phillip explained. "He didn't graduate from the Blue Ocean Pavilion due to missing the thirty-year limit."

Oscar was stunned to hear that. He thought all Raevens were sword masters and great Exalts but had never heard of someone like Robert.

"Great uncle Robert mainly keeps to himself, living reclusively on the claymore mountain he carved. He doesn't even come out for family functions. Shockingly, he came out to train you."

Oscar contemplated the information about Robert until they reached a room. Phillip opened the doors, releasing a cloud of dust that stung their eyes and choked their lungs.

"This is our 'library'...." Phillip led Oscar inside and lit up a torch inside.

Oscar nearly gawked at the horrific sight. The books were covered in cobwebs and a thick layer of white dust. He took out one book and opened it, only to be met with a full-face blast of dust.

"Cough, Cough. Really?" Oscar, covered in dust, turned to Phillip with red eyes full of tears.

"We're swordsmen who learn through practicality and word of mouth. We learn manners from others, so we don't have a use for books." Phillip wryly smiled. Oscar's dust-covered face was comical.

"You should take care of books–stories, history, manuals, and others. They are all important and a great read." Oscar started wiping down the book; its brown leather cover started to show under the white dust.

"If it has use for you. I'm sure you can take some with you." Phillip lit the rest of the torches, lighting up the room and revealing the rest of the worn-down shelves.

"Good luck." Phillip left and closed the door.

Alone in this dust-filled room, Oscar opened the window to let the fresh cold air in. He sat down with a mixed expression.

"What can I do?" Oscar murmured to himself, reflecting on Robert's last words.

He wiped off all the dust on one book. It was titled, 'Accounts of Stavan Raeven, the Gale Blade'.

When all else fails, books could help.

The night passed. The silver moonlight from the windows waned and moved as the stars rotated away. Throughout the time, Oscar kept reading with his face practically glued to the pages.

He read one and moved on to the next.

"You were here." Robert interrupted Oscar's reading.

"Were you looking for me?" Oscar tilted his head in confusion.

"It's morning." Robert pointed to the window.

Oscar looked outside and saw the two suns rising as the morning skies were in view. He had been reading the entire night.

Robert picked up some of the books on Oscar's table. It could not be known what he was thinking from his stoic face.

"Looking through the records of our ancestors. What did you think?" Robert turned to Oscar.

Oscar was caught off-guard by Robert's question. He did not expect to be asked about his reading. "I thought they were amazing people. The ventures they've been on and the battles they've been through were great to read."

"Do you read books often?"

Oscar was still unsure of Robert's intentions but answered honestly, "I read books. It brings me great comfort and delight. Another reason I came to read these was to learn something."

"Learn?"

"Some clue or record on how to defeat the sword intent. I'm quite good at using the knowledge I read." Oscar weakly chuckled.

"Then let's see what you've gleaned from the pages. We're returning to True Sword Peak." Robert marched away with Oscar in tow.

"Looks at books rather than the obvious answer in front of him…." Robert murmured.

"Sorry?" Oscar asked.

"Nothing." Robert grunted.

32