Act 1: Blue Ocean Pavilion – Chapter 106: The Four Foundations of an Exalt, The Prinstyct
1.1k 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Stand right here." Robert led Oscar to the center of the formation. "Before we begin, I need to ask you a few questions."

"Where did you learn 'Ein Awaken'?"

Oscar's eyes widened slightly but quickly returned to normal. Robert was a Knight Exalt, the realm in which 'Ein Awaken' was easier to comprehend. Oscar knew he could not hide things from him.

"It all started from when I went to the Abyss Prison…." Oscar hurriedly explained himself when he saw Robert's eyes glint dangerously from mentioning that he was sent to prison.

"That's quite an eventful first year." Robert looked mildly amused, which was odd on his stone face. "The Warden. Draven Ciaran. I remember him being a senior when I went to the Pavilion. Lord knows how many people wanted to see him without the helmet."

"He always wore a helmet?" Oscar got more insight into the true oddity of the Warden, his master. "Why?"

"Who knows? I only saw him a little because he was in the Inner Hall and then the Legacy Hall. But they said he covered his face even before being a student. But never mind that; he trained you in a very dangerous art, the power of Reis."

"Everyone seems to be so against it." Oscar sighed.

"I will not say anything about it. My focus is on your 'Ein Awaken' and Reis. For the next parts of this training, don't use them." Robert warned Oscar.

"I understand." Oscar nodded in agreement. "However, may I know why? They're very useful techniques."

"I've seen your way of fighting. You put everything into every action, solely focused on your current move and fighting back with all your strength. That is the actions of a brute that wields its power haphazardly. You blocked each sword intent like this, but that eventually failed." Robert swung his claymore without any Ein. Oscar blocked it, reeling from the weight of the blow. "Too rigid. Your movements are too stagnant and susceptible to counters. You must be fast to react to the following attacks."

"And if the opponent fights in the same foolish manner, I can take advantage of that." Oscar finished Robert's explanation with his own conjecture.

"So you understand. Having an understanding of your own Ein as well as the opponents' is crucial." Robert finished talking. "To have the discerning eye for the flow of the battle and Ein will help you. Take your stance."

Oscar tensed up with his buckler at the ready. He looked much better than before. His eyes were glinting with the desire to learn and clear motivation.

To Oscar's surprise, Robert stepped closer to Oscar; only half a meter separated the two. It reminded him of the 'No Step Duel' he had with his master, Draven.

Soon the slopes of True Sword Peak fell silent. Robert and Oscar stared at each other as if frozen in time. There was not the slightest movement from Robert, who was supposed to be attacking, because he warned Oscar his attacks would be unexpected.

Oscar squeezed his buckler tightly, but the sweat on his hands made it hard. The idea of an attack coming any time added an extra layer of tension he did not enjoy.

SWISH

As if he were under a guillotine, Oscar felt the pressure from this claymore as it slashed down from above. It was more intimidating with Robert's purple Ein surrounding it.

Oscar moved fast to block it in response, but the next blow came right after. Robert showed incredible movement and agility with his long claymore.

What followed was an exchange of blows as Robert swung repeatedly. Oscar was doing a good job defending but found himself unable to block the next strike. The cold feeling of the claymore's edge chilled the skin of his neck.

It was exactly like when he went against the strong sword intent. For some reason, it was as if he could not defend or react against it.

"Am I too slow?" Oscar asked without moving away from the sharp claymore.

"I've adjusted myself to match against your Ein, power, and speed. It's not a matter of speed. Nor is it an issue with your power." Robert pulled back his claymore. "It's foresight."

"Foresight?" Oscar exclaimed.

"Try to attack me. You'll see firsthand." Robert waited for Oscar's attack. His keen black eyes watched like a hawk.

With a serious expression, Oscar moved his buckler slightly. He watched Robert as well to look for an opening. Scenes of each of his attacks flew by his mind before settling on one.

His foot moved as he aimed to strike as his Ein surged, but Robert moved fast and stopped Oscar before his attack could manifest. He had lifted his restriction on speed to catch Oscar.

"You were going for a charge with your buckler at the helm like a straight bolt." Robert held tightly onto Oscar's buckler without letting go.

"You knew?" Oscar was in a daze at Robert's prediction. It was what he had intended to do after much deliberation. "Is this the foresight you mentioned? How is that possible?"

"By watching your movements and the behavior of your Ein, I can tell your intent and see an image of your next move. This is an observational technique, the Prinstyct, one of the foundations of an Exalt."

"I never read about this. Why would the Archives not have it?" Oscar was bewildered at the lack of knowledge in the Archives. Then a thought hit him. The Archives had another floor meant for Elite Exalts. Perhaps the knowledge was buried there.

"The Pavilion restricts latter knowledge for when they are appropriate. As Apprentice Exalts, your priority is to get used to your Ein and utilize spells. That is the first foundation of an Exalt, the Ein." Robert confirmed Oscar's suspicions about the restriction of knowledge.

"The elemental spark is the second foundation. It's the signifying identity of an Exalt's Ein and their connection to the natural forces."

Oscar's eyes shined with wonder. He listened with delight. No matter what, there was always something new about Exalts. "Are there any others?"

"The third foundation is your Anima." Robert's Ein came forth like a raging blaze and collected into his hand, forming a claymore with a black blade that filled Oscar with dread.

"Is Reis not a foundation?" Oscar could not help but ask.

"No, it is not. Exalts do not naturally have a tie to using Reis; that is an entirely different power."

Oscar let out a sigh of dismay. It seemed no matter what, Reis was also put down for being either dangerous or not essential to an Exalt. However, he believed in Draven's words.

"The final foundation is the Prinstyct. An Exalt begins to bloom with keen observational eyes that let them see through the world. It's also known as the Third Eye of The Hidden World, but that's too long."

"The Prinstyct…." Oscar murmured.

"By using the Prinstyct to observe you, I can see your future movements. Everyone awakens it at the Elite Exalt realm."

"Hold on. If there are two people with Prinstyct, wouldn't they be in a stalemate? How can they attack or move if they know what the other is doing?"

"The Prinstyct isn't omniscient. An Exalt can see future actions, such as movement, but what about spells? They can envision the Ein moving to an extent but cannot know what spell it will be or how powerful or fast it is."

"The best they can do is prepare in advance, but if they choose wrongly, they will suffer. They cannot also know the capabilities of your Anima."

"And the final advice, just because you know what they might do doesn't mean you can stop it or evade it. Never be arrogant. Some people go off their knockers, drunk with the vision of Prinstyct, and die because of it."

Robert let go of Oscar's buckler and, retrieved his claymore, stabbed into the ground. "Everything has a weakness. Prinstyct is an incredible power if learned and honed."

"Didn't you say it awakens in the Elite Exalt realm? How can we awaken my Prinstyct?"

"To awaken your Prinstyct, we have multiple steps to accomplish. Are you familiar with gathering Ein into your eyes?"

"Yes! I learned 'Stone Gaze' as my first spell." Oscar answered briskly.

"Odd choice for a first, but that makes it simpler. However, the pain will be way worse. We need to gather your Ein into the third eye." Robert pointed to his forehead.

"We have three eyes?" Oscar tapped his forehead in shock. "Is that possible?"

"Not physically. Sit down and enter meditation."

Oscar did as instructed and sat in meditation. He entered the dark world where he could sense the Ein and his core. In this darkness, Robert's voice echoed in his ears.

"You may not be able to see it, but look up into your forehead."

Oscar turned his attention to the middle of his forehead but found nothing. He recalled scanning his body when he first started meditating but found nothing like a third eye.

"When you become an Elite Exalt, you will notice a slit, the shut third eye that will awaken from your efforts. However, you have yet to arrive. But don't worry, we can forcibly awaken it, but it will take a long time and a lot of pain."

Oscar ended his meditation and gazed at Robert sitting in front of him.

"Is everyone else undergoing this training?" Oscar was curious about everyone else.

"The others are being taught what best suits them. It depends on the individual. I judged that it's prudent for you to awaken your third eye and train in Prinstyct early. As a Grade Four, to keep up, you need to start earlier."

"Let's begin." Oscar reentered meditation, awaiting Robert's instructions.

Robert grunted a little and placed his index finger on Oscar's forehead.

"Bear with it."

33