Vampire in Space Chapter 3: The Federation Strikes Back
144 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I hissed at the next person who came close to touching me. Brandy hit the table bringing my attention to her, “No hissing at crew members."

"Fine," I said through clenched teeth.

"Let's go," Brandy said, getting up from her seat. I followed her as she made her way back to the brig. I stood outside the prison cell rage coming up my throat into a growl.

"You mean to put me back in prison? What's the point of doing anything you ask if I can't have my freedom with the best behavior?" I crossed my arms and looked at Brandy expectantly.

Brandy scoffed, "You consider hissing at crew members your best behavior?"

I laughed, "Yes I haven't broken anyone or drained anyone on the ship. I followed your commands."

Brandy sighed, "Fine, you can stay out of your room until lights out." I jumped in enthusiasm and smiled. I walked out of her sight and found a pool to sink into. I stripped my clothes and got into the pool. To be clean, or at least to relax in the water was a great comfort.  The guards were still following me. I ignored them watching the blood clean away from my body and trail into the pool.

 

Meanwhile Brandy kindly instructed the ship AI to keep an eye on Ela. Brandy contacted captain Wendel to inform her of the results of Ela's mission.

"So, we have captured a warship from the federals? Excellent." Captain Wendel held up her drink to the screen as a toast and downed the drink in one go.

Brandy smiled, "We have the advantage now. Federal prisoners to negotiate for. We may even get what we want."

Captain Wendel nodded her head, "I knew Ela would be an asset. She's just crazy enough to throw a wrench in the Federals' plan."

 The ship's AI interrupted the conversation, "Ela is leaving the pool and headed towards her room."

Brandy looked at her wrist com it wasn't too late. "Alright captain, I have a vampire to put to bed."

"We'll talk more later." Captain Wendel signed off.

Brandy went to the brig to shut Ela in the cell for the night.

 

Stuck in the brig with no food, I woke up early. My hunger made me angry. It reinforced the fact that I was trapped. The squishing sound of boots told me Brandy was on her way. When she arrived a tray of fresh food was passed to me by one of the security detail. 

"Alright Ela, we need your help with getting the USJP operational again. The ship responds to your command."

I took a bite of my orange, "What will you give me in exchange for my help?"

"What do you want, and I'll tell you if it's possible."

"I want out of the brig- to have my own room."

Brandy crossed her arms, "Impossible. Next request."

"Okay make me a new identity. A clean one." I put my hands on my hips.

"Alright Ela, I think we can get your ID." Brandy took a second orange off my tray and began eating it. I stifled the urge to attack her for taking my food. I tried to calm myself. It’s a test, I need to stay calm. I finished my breakfast shortly thereafter. Brandy made a come here gesture and I followed her down the hall and to a port. The USJP was docked to our ship. She opened the door and I followed her through the door onto the USJP. We made it to the bridge where crew from The Lancet were repairing the terminal that held the AI’s core. There were no officers from the USJP on the bridge.

“What happened to the captain and the others?” I asked mildly curious.

Brandy responded, “They’re in the brig. Some of the crew are also under arrest in their quarters. All of them are our hostages now.”

I nodded feeling a little sorry for the proud captain who lost her ship. Not that I’d ever admit to sympathy of any sort. What was more important was the free blood sources the prisoners represented. “Can I drink the blood of the hostages?”

Brandy crossed her arms, “Perhaps if you help out. We need you to command the ship to follow The Lancet. The AI won’t take orders from anyone else. We had to manually maneuver the ship to get it docked to the Lancet.”

“I got you the ship and the hostages. I should have the right of access to their blood.”

Brandy shook her head, “We will take the blood for you and present it to you in a cup.”

 “Okay, that’s acceptable. USJP this is Ela.”

“Yes captain, how may I help you.” The ship’s AI responded in a distorted voice likely because of the repairs.

“Please follow The Lancet.” I looked at Brandy who nodded her head.

Brandy made a call, and you could hear the Lancet undocking from the USJP. The Lancet came into view on the ship’s screen and made a jump into the HQ FTL Tunnel. The USJP followed. 

“Thank you, Ela.” Brandy said before placing one hand on my shoulder. I turned to look at her hand. She touched me. People normally backed away from me, giving me space. Brandy lifted her hand, "I apologize if I made you uncomfortable."

I shook my head, “Not at all."

We made it to our destination. A field of junk floated in space. Ship parts and random trash lined the view. More ships entered the space field from HQ FTL Tunnels. The view screen was full of rebel ships.

 

Brandy shifted away from me and used her wrist com to greet the newcomers. “Let us see the vampire who got us the USJP!” Brandy threw her wristcom screen onto the ship’s view screen. Sharing the view of the bridge with the people on her call. Their faces were on the screen. I waved to them. Brandy returned to my side.

“How does it feel Ela to be a rebel?” A blonde woman said.

“Am I a rebel now? I don’t know. All I care about is the blood she gives me.” I pointed to Brandy who put her hand on her forehead in frustration.

“Are you happy with getting a look at her or can we get back to the planning process?”

“Fine, let's convene on the USJP.” The screen went blank. Brandy stood in front of me and locked eyes with me, “You’re helping the rebels now. The federals were the people who put you away. They are your enemy too. The rebels will forgive you for your crimes if you can continue helping us.”

I looked at my nails and responded, “Everyone is prey, except for the rebels. Got it.” I spoke about prey to mess with Brandy a little, I was bored.

Brandy sighed at my response, “Alright if that's how your brain works, yes rebels are not prey.”

“I can go feed on the prisoners now?” I hadn’t had blood for hours and was thirsty.

“I will have the guards give you a fresh cup of blood.” Brandy placed a hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye. “Be good Ela.” She squeezed then let me go. I had nothing to say back. I watched as she walked away. I found myself wanting to be good.

 

The ships of the various captains docked with the USJP. They came to the bridge just as one of the guards placed a cup of blood in my hands. They did not invite me to the meeting though they acknowledged my presence. Brandy and other chiefs of security also joined the meeting. It was while they were meeting that additional ships arrived in the junkyard. I looked at their paint jobs which were red with white accents. The uniform look had me on edge. Were these the federals? As if in answer to my question they fired on the rebel ships. 

I ordered the AI to fire back on the assailants, but the ship refused, “Firing on our own ships is prohibited.” The AI said simply and refused to unleash any weapons at the oncoming ships. I realized belatedly that had the AI fired I would have possibly killed someone thus breaking my vow. I was relieved I had not broken that vow, but also began to realize the problem it posed. In a battle death was inevitable and when working with rebels battles were unavoidable. Perhaps leaving the rebels would be best. 

Meanwhile the bombs from the federals took down two ships which exploded spitting out debris into space. Bodies floated around the wreckage making me hungry. I felt no hint of anger or sadness, just the lack of food, of blood. 

Brandy left the conference room and looked at the carnage on the screen as yet another ship exploded on the rebel side. I did my best to stifle my hunger as I stared at Brandy’s neck. Never her. Brandy is not food.

“Why haven’t you commanded the ship to fire on the federals?”

I laughed, “You think I haven’t tried? This ship is federal through and through. She won’t hit her people.”

Brandy grabbed the collar of my shirt. “Convince the ship you are a rebel captain and that it’s a rebel now. Maybe it will listen.”

“I can hear you talking about me and no you cannot convince me I’m a rebel. In fact, I don’t think I’ll be taking orders from my rebel captain anymore. It’s clear she isn’t even a real captain. Taking orders from a security officer.” The sound of triumphant screams began to spread throughout the ship. The AI had released the officers from house arrest. She released the prisoners as well. Though she could not remove the cuffs that had been placed on the officers. Brandy and the rest of the rebel officers set their guns to kill and shot at the officers who made it to the bridge. I tried to grab a few and break their arms so they couldn’t do any harm. 

The real captain of the ship arrived and dodged my approach. She activated the AI, “Code 3 X Alpha Gamma.”

“Understood,” A forcefield erupted around the bridge making it impossible for the rebels to leave. The view screen was full of the detritus from destroyed ships. The Lancet was missing from the view. I wondered if they escaped or simply were so thoroughly destroyed it was hard to pick out. The captain hailed the federal force, “We’ve recovered the ship from rebel control, admiral.”

“Excellent,” A man on the screen with green eyes and black hair peppered with gray. He looked at me and stared in shock.

“Isn’t that the rogue vampire who took out entire ships? What is she doing free? Were you that desperate that you rescued an egotistical mass murderer to help you?”

I went to knock out the captain but two I'm officers came and held me back. I shoved out of their hold, knocking them to the ground. The captain was still cuffed. I made it to her side and knocked her out.

“If you want the officers on board this ship to make it alive you will leave us alone.”

The man on the view screen laughed, “I don’t negotiate with terrorists.” Then he fired on the USJP.

I trembled as the realization that I might be captured by federals again came over me. I did not want to return to my isolation.

7