Chapter 8: O Brother
87 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we arrived at the Lancet, I sighed in relief that we made it back okay. Going out was a risk, because we could be caught at any moment. We brought Brandon on board. Brandon requested we head to the dining hall. People noticed when Brandon came in on his wheelchair and stared at him. Brandy glared at the people who stared at Brandon. We picked up trays of food from the lunch line. I asked the lunch lady for the special and she handed me a cup of blood with a nod. We sat across from the television and its holographic display. The news was on. 

"It appears the vampire Ela kidnapped another person. Brandon Sands was taken from his suburban home earlier this day. It's not known what her motive was. But if you see her or Brandon, be sure to call the tip line."

Brandy turned her back to the news, “Well that's a problem. How am I going to take Brandon to physical therapy if he's being looked for?"

I leaned forward, "Dye his hair."

"Dyeing his hair won't be enough. We have to change his face for the facial recognition bots."

I nodded knowing I needed the same treatment. Brandy sighed and so did Brandon. Not getting caught was a big task. Brandon would be easier to hide once he started walking. The fact that he was in a wheelchair didn't help. People would be on the lookout for wheelchair bound men.

"I can hide my face." Brandon said using his pad.

"Changing your face is safer." Brandy said.

"I don't want to change my face." Brandon passed his hand over his cheek.

"I can give you prosthetic facial features that can be removed. It's what I plan to do for Ela so she can get off the ship."

"Thank you," I said, smiling at Brandy.

"Wait to thank me after you see what I do to your face." Brandy said with a sly smile. I began to drink my blood and Brandon was staring at me.

“What?” I said feeling uncomfortable.

“Do you really drink blood?” Brandon said using his pad.

“Yes, I need it.” I said before taking a liberal sip.

“Are you one of those bloodsuckers?” Brandon asked, his eyes wide.

“Yes, I’m a vampire.” I put the cup down and opened my mouth to expose my fangs. Brandon leaned back in his wheelchair, his eyes popping out in shock.

“Hey Brandy, you’re friends with a vampire now? She’s dangerous.”

Brandy leaned forward in her seat, “Ela is plenty dangerous, and she is my friend so be careful what you say Brandon.”

I faced Brandon, “Don’t worry you don’t look tasty.” Brandy slapped my arm.

“Hey now, don’t mess with my brother.” Brandy said playfully.

Tomorrow was Brandy's day off as well as mine. Brandy had indicated she would bring Brandon for physical therapy and invited me to go along. Thinking it was better than staying on the ship I agreed. 

 

The next morning, I got up early. The cafeteria was almost empty when I arrived. Brandy and Brandon joined me at my table when they arrived. The three of us sat quiet while the news was playing loudly behind us. Brandy finished her breakfast first and said, "I will meet you at your room Ela so we can put the prosthetics on you. Brandon will come too." 

I nodded in understanding. Once I was done eating, I headed back to my room. Brandy came with a bag. She unzipped it and pulled out wigs as well as pieces of a face. "Okay Ela I'm going to give you a blonde wig and give you a thicker nose."

Brandy placed the prosthetic nose on my face. Then she fit the wig over my hair. When I looked in the mirror, I didn't recognize myself. Brandy then worked on Brandon. She used a prosthetic to hide the crook in his nose. Brandy then gave him jowls and put a blonde wig on his head. When the three of us were ready we took the scout ship with captain Guthrapali's permission. 

When we got to the planet Vira, we parked in a dock just outside of town. We walked to the physical therapist. Brandon wheeled his own wheelchair forward preferring to move on his own. The physical therapy building was on a quiet street. The building was made of stone and had marble stairs; it was clearly old. Brandy pushed Brandon up the ramp while I took the stairs. Together we entered the building. Brandon introduced himself to the receptionist under his pseudonym and she asked him to wait in the seating area. Brandy asked if as his sisters we could stay with him, and the receptionist said we could. We waited for what seemed a long time then finally a therapist called us to the back. They worked on having Brandon move his legs starting with his toes. Eventually I left because I found the visit boring. I sat in the waiting room watching TV. The holo display was on and the actors looked as if they were in the room. I was watching a romance not by choice. The receptionist had the remote. The movie heroine was a rebel in a different faction from the hero. 

"How will you get back home? Let me fly you there." The male protagonist said.

"I can't be seen with you. What will my faction think?" The rebel heroine clutched her chest.

"I'll mask my ship, so the scanners don't pick it up as a federation ship. Come on, let me help you one last time." I watched as the heroine gave in. Doing favors was part of the way humans showed love. Vampires showed love by vanquishing their lover's enemies. If there were no enemies then the vampire would give the head of an opponent they killed. If there was no head, then to be romantic would require showing feats of prowess. Demonstrating combat skills for example.

I had demonstrated my combat skills to Brandy. I also helped her with her brother which was a favor. What more could I do to get her attention?

Brandy and Brandon came out from physical therapy. Brandy was pushing Brandon's wheelchair because he was tired. His lids were drooping, and he was laying back in the chair. I got up and joined them on their walk out of the building.

Brandy walked next to me. The three of us got on the ship without a word. When we sat down in the cockpit I asked, “How did physical therapy go?"

Brandon sighed, "It was painful-"

Brandy interjected, "He made great progress."

"That's good," I said as I entered our ship's coordinates. "Although I'm sorry you were in pain."

Brandon typed his response, "At least I'm making progress. Ela why did you come today?"

"To support you and Brandy." I glanced at Brandy who was looking at me.

"Thank you for coming. It means a lot to me." Brandy said.

"I'll always be here for you." I said. Brandy looked away and wiped her eyes. I looked at her closely and saw tears running down her face.

"Brandy what's the matter?" I never expected her to cry.

"Oh nothing, I'm just not used to the support." She wiped her face. I felt shortchanged not having tissues on hand for her.

“If you tell anyone about this, I’ll dock your blood supply.” Brandy said, wiping her face.

 

Leona Sansona was still in her prison when I went for training. She watched as I did drills. Her catlike eyes were visible despite the shadows covering her face. When I had a break, I went to her cell. Leona had been on my mind. She was imprisoned because of me, and I worried about how she was doing. All I could think about was my isolation in prison. No one deserved that.

"Have you been eating ok?" I asked.

Leona purred her response, "I've been eating ok. My broken fingers are all healed up too." She lifted the four fingers I snapped as proof. The ship’s medical officer had clearly mended her hands.

“You know that offer I made you is still on the table.” Leona smiled.

“I’m sorry but I can’t take you up on that offer.” This is Brandy’s crew so it’s my crew I can’t betray them.

“What are you two talking about?” Brandy said, surprising me. I hadn’t seen her all day.

“Leona was just trying to bribe her way out of the brig. I told her no.” I said looking at Leona with a broad smile that showed my fangs.

Brandy leaned against the wall, “What were you doing talking to Leona at all?”

I answered with silence. I know what it is like to be confined and have no one to talk to. Brandy crossed her arms.

"You don't have an answer for me huh Ela?" She lifted her hand to look at her fingernails, "Well don't let me catch you talking to Leona again."

"Yes mam. Sorry mam." I saluted.

"At ease, soldier." Brandy stood up straight.

"I came here because I have a question for you. What are you up to on your next day off?"

My days off were Wednesday and Thursday.  "I don't have any plans."

"Good, come with me then." I followed Brandy to the bridge.

"Captain permission to speak?"

"Permission granted," Captain Guthrapali said. Her rich olive skin and thick black hair were beautiful. 

Brandy said, "I submit Ela as a candidate for your guard. She is available next Wednesday and Thursday to go to the conference."

Captain Guthrapali looked me over. "Do you think you can handle guarding me? If you do a good job, I’ll make sure to increase your blood rations." Captain Guthrapali smiled.

I nodded my head, "Yes mam."

"Good. I'll expect you at 0700."

"Yes mam," I said while saluting.

"You're dismissed," Captain Guthrapali said before returning to the ship's controls. Brandy and I walked away from the bridge back towards the brig.

"Why did you choose me?" I asked curious.

Brandy crossed her arms, "You have super hearing, seeing, smell, speed, and strength- at least compared to the average life form. You’ll be good at spotting assassins. Plus, you’re very attractive which will be distracting… I meant to say famous. Anyway, protecting the captain is going to be easy for you."

I thought it would be boring but didn't say so. "So, if I'm using up my days off to guard her when am I taking a break?"

Brandy sighed, "I'll let you take the two days after the conference off."

My hope was that someone would be dumb enough to attack Guthrapali so I could fight.

"Are you going to the conference?" I asked curious.

"No, I'm staying behind on the ship. There will be other guards though, so you won't be alone."

"I'm ok with being alone," I said, pissed that she was suggesting I needed company. Then again, I remembered my jail cell, that floating cube of utter isolation. Maybe having other people around was best.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I just meant you don't have to worry about taking care of her protection all by yourself. This conference is going to be big. There will be plenty of opportunities to attack Captain Guthrapali."

“I get to drink the blood of anyone dumb enough to attack her, right?”

Brandy laughed, “Yes Ela, definitely. Just don’t let anyone see you, it's kind of outside the rules of uniform military conduct.”

 We both arrived at the brig. Leona was still in her cell. I felt sorry for her. Not that I'd ever admit it.

"What is the conference for?" I asked curious.

"The rebels will be discussing strategy as well as plans for newly acquired planets."

"Will the federalist people even consider those planets occupied?"

"No, they won't." Leona answered from her cell. Brandy left and I stayed behind to finish my drills for the day. Whatever Leona said to grab my attention I ignored.

4