Vampire in Space Chapter 11: Too Human
85 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The shuttle landed in the docking bay. It had been a long cramped flight but I was finally home. Brandy’s muscular blonde form was waiting. The worry and tension in Brandy’s face soon softened to a warm smile. Holding my travel bag, I approached the doorway to the Lancet when Brandy rushed in, her blonde hair was loose and cascaded about her heart shaped face. She came up to me and gave me a hug. I was trying to be cool, but I couldn’t help having the largest grin on my face, it was good to see Brandy.

“I missed you. Are you alright?” Brandy pulled back from the hug, but she put a gentle hand on my face. I grabbed her hand and dragged it away from my face. “I’m alright. I still need to see Dr. Faust though.” Brandy nodded her head. Her hand was still in mine. We both looked down at our joined hands and immediately Brandy took her hand back. I was disappointed.

“Ela, you’re warm. What did they do to you?” Brandy looked me over.

“They used human DNA to stop the virus. I’m more like a human now.”

“What virus?” Brandy asked me.

“... ugh I don’t know.” I couldn’t think of what to say. Brandy waited patiently for my response. “I… There was a vampire virus that was put in the blood of someone I drank from. Its purpose was to kill me. The doctor saved me by Crispr editing my DNA with what they had on hand, human cells.”

Brandy nodded her head, “I see so you’re one of us ‘pathetic’ humans now. Who did this to you?” Brandy said through her teeth. There was a tenseness in her voice.

“Captain Ando with the federation. They had a multitiered plan to kill me, that I just barely made it out alive.”

“What do you mean multitiered?” Brandy tilted her head in question.

“First they sent the humans tainted with the virus to fight me, I drank their blood and contracted the virus.” I grimaced, recalling the underhanded tactic.

Brandy’s eyes widened in shock, “They poisoned their own blood to harm you?”

I nodded, “Then a brood of vampires came after me. I fought both groups and made it on the ship they sabotaged, it exploded. Doing all of this while sick from the virus.” I took a big breath and sighed.

“Oh my god! A brood of vampires? Like a vampire hit squad and you beat them while sick? And the ship exploded too? You’re obviously wanted by the federation, dead or alive.”

“I survived, there were only twenty of them.” I grinned.

Brandy’s face went pale, “This is the last time you go on a mission without me. Tell me what you need.”

“Nothing, I’m fine now.” I lied.

Brandy shook me and repeated herself, “Tell me what you need, let me help you.”

“I need to feel like a predator again. Can you fix that? Can you give me my vampirism back?”

“No, I wish I could.” Brandy said, her face filled with pity.

"Will you go with me to see Dr. Faust?" I asked, because I doubted I'd be able to fly after the procedure, and because I wanted Brandy with me.

"Of course." Brandy smiled and I found myself smiling with her. “I’m proud of you for surviving despite the odds stacked against you. This has been a lot to digest. Let’s continue our conversation over lunch. I have to get back on shift.”

 

I lugged my bag, heavier than before, back to my room. I grunted as I placed it on the bed. I pulled out my clothes I had already worn and threw them in the laundromat to be cleaned. Finally, I was home after such a long day. I sighed in relief. When I pulled out my blood-soaked clothes from yesterday my emotions hit me more strongly than I was used to. I was back in the hallway with the brood of vampires poised to strike me. The fear laced through my body, making me shake. I was within an inch of death. Shaking, I threw the clothes to the floor. I didn’t want them anymore. I needed a break, something to calm myself. I went into my bathroom and filled the tub with water. A nice soak would help me to unwind. I normally liked my water scalding, but upon touching it I yelped in pain. Another change that I disliked. I ran the water cold for a few minutes to bring down the temperature. I could only hope that these changes were temporary. 

I slipped into the warm water and sighed in relief. My aches seemed to minimize as I sunk deeper into the water. I pretended I didn’t notice how I failed to see the heat in the infrared. As I stretched out my long limbs and watched my hair spread out in waves I smiled. I still had a killer bod. My long black hair floated over my small breasts. The straight hair framing my curvaceous form. A six pack graced my midriff. My muscular arms were long and thin, but my skin was soft and sensitive taking in the heat and the smooth caress of the water. Being human was warm and sensual.

Lunch time came faster than I hoped, I reluctantly shifted in the water preparing to get out. When I got out of the water, I noticed that my skin looked like it shriveled in on itself. The skin was all mushy. Is this some weird human thing or am I sick? I poked on my skin and determined that it was harmless. Concerned, I hoped the pruning would go away. I dressed. 

I made my way to the cafeteria. I picked up a tray of meat. Brandy was sitting by the holo display. A piece of cake was sitting neglected on her plate. I had never cared for sweets as with most vampires. Weak as a human I wanted to tell Brandy how I survived the attacks upon me, even the deadly ejection into space. Brandy greeted me as I sat down. The holodisplay was on the news. I tuned it out. I opened my mouth to tell her about my impressive feats but found myself choking on the words.

"Would you like to have dessert?" Brandy asked, staring at my mostly meat tray.

"I don't like sweets." I said taking a bite of grub.

Brandy pushed the dessert on the tray towards me.

"Try it, it may taste different now that you're experiencing human living."

I tried not to focus on my human state. Instead I grabbed the cake and put a fork in it. I brought the piece to my mouth and hissed in surprise. The cake, fluffy and sweet, hit me. 

"Oh my Gods this is amazing." The words rushed from my mouth before I could stop them.

Brandy smiled at me and took a piece. "Told you." She said in an all-knowing tone.

I nearly cried with delight but held my tongue. "No wonder so many humans are fat."

"Hey there are a lot less obese people now than centuries ago."

"Okay fair enough. Thank you for the cake. I can’t even put it into words… how moved I am by being able to taste sweets."

"Any time, Ela." Brandy smiled and blushed.

I returned her smile and blushed before I could stop myself.

A crew member stopped by our table with a cup of blood. He set it on my tray. I stared deeply into it and remembered all the lives I’d taken and the consequences of that act. My memories flooded in without any barriers to hold them back. I had been imprisoned over my bloodthirst. I looked at the blood and immediately pushed it away from me. There would be no drinking blood today. Brandy noticed me pushing the blood away.

“Okay, you have to tell me what happened.”

“Nothing serious, I was almost killed but the plan failed.” I ate another piece of the cake. I told Brandy about my impressive escape from death. How I made it to space and jettisoned myself to another ship. How I survived an explosion. 

Brandy nodded her head, “You survived a lot. You’re quite impressive. But, now you have some demons to wrestle with. Why are you repulsed by blood?”

“Maybe it’s because I’m mostly human now.” I said leaving out the fact that I regretted the massacre I perpetrated years ago. I remembered the blood and saw myself surrounded by vampires. The walls were closing in around me. I hugged myself to try and calm the overwhelming sensation. My breathing became rapid. 

Brandy reached out to me, “Are you okay?” I shook my head. “What's happening?”

“I can’t seem to calm down.” I said rocking back and forth. The vampires were closing around me. Brandy rushed over to my side to hold me. Her firm grasp helped chase away the vampires. It was all in my head. I was better with Brandy’s soothing strokes.

“What is on the table in front of you, Ela?” Brandy’s voice was gentle.

“A tray.”

“What’s on the tray?”

“Meat and cake.”

“Good, how does the meat taste?”

“Adequate.”

“What about the cake?”

“Sweet,” I leaned against Brandy. My breaths were slowing down, becoming fuller.

I was angry about being so weak. I put my hand on Brandy’s arm and tried to shift away from her but her grip was too tight.

“Ela you just had what humans call a panic attack. You’re okay now. I did a grounding technique with you.”

“I’m not weak. I didn’t have a panic attack. I don’t need to be held like a child. I’m a vampire.”

Brandy eased her hold on me, “Then why are you clinging to me if you don’t want to be held?”

I removed myself from her embrace, “I don’t need to be coddled. I’m an adult vampire. I’ve won my freedom.” My hands were still trembling, so I tucked them underneath the table.

Brandy wasn’t so easily dismissed, “Even adults need comfort every so often. You’ve been through a lot. It’s perfectly normal that you reacted this way.”

“I am a predator; I do not cower.” I put my fist to my chest to attest to the veracity of my words.

“Well, you’re a predator with a human heart now. You can’t expect everything to work perfectly the way you want it to.” Brandy patted me on the arm. “Don’t worry I’m strong enough for the both of us.”

Being human had consequences I did not desire. Still, it was better than being dead.

“Okay Ela, as your CO I order you to go to therapy. Your mental health has clearly been impacted by the events that occurred at the conference. I demand you go on a leave of absence until you are cleared for work. After your debriefing.”

Therapy was the last thing I wanted, but Brandy insisted upon it and I had to go in order to return to work. Brandy made an appointment for me to see Dr. Faust. We had to get clearance to take the ship and take the time off so it might be a while before we could go.

 

In Captain Guthrapali’s office sat a shrine and upon it was a figure with a long trunk and tusks, its ears were long and large, and it had four human arms. There was an earth-based mammal it resembled, but I couldn’t for the life of me remember what it was called. I sat in the chair opposite Captain Guthrapali.

“Do you know why I’ve called you into my office?”

“Lieutenant Sands told me that I would debrief, mam.”

“Tell me what happened at the conference.” I recounted the events that led to me becoming human and all the near-death experiences I had.

The captain tapped her fingers on her desk, her eyes seemed to stare off into nothing as though she was lost in deep thought.

“Let me start with this, I’m sorry. My tactical analysis was off, the Federation placed a higher value on you than I predicted, what happened to you was in part on me. As a consequence, I’ve lost my queen off the chess board, and I must get her back even if it means driving a pawn all the way in. Is there a way to restore your vampire abilities?”

“Yes, but it will require me to take some time off and a ship.”

“You take the time you need, but only what you need. You can take the shuttle. I need you back up to snuff.” 

“Thank you, captain.”

“You’re welcome, by the way I’m assigning a security detail to you whenever you’re off ship. Until you get your powers back.”

The need for a security detail made my stomach flop. I should be able to protect myself, but I didn’t argue the point. Protection was good while I was weak. “Understood.”

Guthrapali picked up a silver cross from her desk. “For gallantly defending against the enemy. I award you with this silver cross.”

Guthrapali affixed the silver cross to my uniform.

“You know vampires being allergic to silver and hurt by crosses is false right?”

“As if I would give you an award that would harm you. Please accept this reward. ”

I touched the silver cross and smiled. A vampire wearing a silver cross, that’d throw the humans into a loop. 

Captain Guthrapali smiled at me, but the smile didn’t reach her eyes, “You defeated the vampires and the humans that were part of a Federation plot to sabotage the station. They weren’t just targeting you. Your heroism led to the capture of those enemy combatants, and their interrogation led us to determining who the spies in our ranks were. Unfortunately, we were unable to capture the vampires. They got away, and we’re glad they did leave rather than stay and cause irreparable harm. In the end this was a costly defeat for the federation.”

“Thank you for awarding me the silver cross. I had no idea my fight at the station made such a difference.”

Captain Guthrapali was still smiling as she said, “Our actions have ripple effects that reach farther than we know. Yours make a big impact for this crew and the cause. You’re dismissed.”

“Yes mam,” I said before saluting.

 

I was lying in bed thinking about the week’s events. For one we took Brandon on Sunday to get therapy. I then went to a conference that ended with me being a human.

Knock knock. “Computer, unlock the door.”

The door opened. Brandy walked in and she wasn’t in her uniform. Instead, she was wearing a small black satin dress. Her hair was pulled back in a bun. She removed her hair tie and her hair cascaded down her back. Looking right at me the whole time while she did it.

“You know, ever since you’ve become human you’ve been warm and soft. Normally your skin is like touching cold metal. The changes in you are temporary hopefully… and I do hope you return to normal, eventually. However, I find that it would be remiss if I didn’t capitalize on this opportunity.” The door shut behind her.

“How can being human be good?” I asked, I’m confused, this can’t be happening, can it? 

“Let me show you, it’s much the same as the cake. And trust me, my little human, you’re going to enjoy it” Brandy sauntered to the bed. She caressed my face and placed a tender kiss on my lips. Her lips were exquisitely gentle. They were cherry red and tasted like sweet nectar. I let my tongue lave across her lip and into her mouth. I massaged her tongue and nibbled her lips with my teeth. Our first kiss was hot, passion filled, and left me wanting more.

 

Brandy reached to take off her dress. I enthusiastically helped her pull it off. 

“Computer, lock the door.” What an incredible body, I can’t believe this is happening. Our soft moans could be heard throughout the night. 

Being human had its perks.

4