Arc Fifteen. Chapter Four Hundred Twenty-Four. Diss-Order
149 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Go fuck your orders,” and then the line went dead.

Phil put down the phone, as the call had gone exactly as he’d expected. Across the desk from him, sat General Ross, looking just as angry as Peter had sounded. Outside, the lead members of the Avengers, Captain America and Agent Webb, were waiting. Their orders had been issued that morning, and Coulson knew neither would follow them.

The Xandarians had held the government accountable for the powered. It was a simple, 'if you can't control them, we will' threat the government took issue with. Coulson had almost laughed. Xandar didn't just lock away anyone with powers, in fact, they had more freedoms than the US. Any citizen was allowed to carry a laser weapon and use it to defend themselves. They just made the punishment for crime so severe nobody ever did. It was life in an escape-proof hellhole called the Kyln. It was one of their main laws.

You have powers. If you abuse them, you pay the consequences.

Coulson knew it was about control. The Xandarians didn't really care if the powered fought in the streets. It was just another way for them to wrangle concessions from every government.

If we have to police your citizens, then you will pay for it.

Rich assholes like Malik hated to pay for anything, let alone give up anything to an alien species. Xandar might be welcomed with open arms, but it was just another way for the fat cats in Washington to make money. Taxes levied by the Xandarians would be pushed onto the populations. The government would wash their hands of the matter and blame them.

The only fly in that ointment was Peter Parker. Oh, the Xandarians knew about Wakanda, and what it held. But rather than being excited or greedy, they were afraid. One country, and at the head of it, one man, could stand against them. So, rather than buttering him up, kissing his ass and dealing with the problem, Malik had issued orders. Arrest everyone. Coulson had actually smiled at that one, as he had been dealing with Peter's bullshit for years. He would just do what the government was doing. Wash his hands, and point a finger, ridding himself of a major headache. Malik. The folder they had, just as thick as Peter's and just as circumstantial, made him out to be a Hydra pawn. They should have learned by now not to antagonise Peter or AIM. Coulson's file had a simple message. He just wants to make money and screw beautiful women, leave him alone and he'll behave. He might not like him, but Peter was more like Tony Stark than he realised. And just as much of a pain in the ass.

Instead, Malik had pushed through a new bill. It was designed to investigate powered individuals. Bring them in for questioning, and then incarcerate the guilty ones. A nasty clause in the ARCA let him as well. They removed the tagging, but the hold indefinitely without trial slipped through. And then he made sure the subpoenas for AIM and Peter Parker were signed the next day.

Sam Wilson and Scott Lang had read them and shrugged. Sam was used to the military's operating procedure and Scott was on probation. Hank had been forced to deal with Shield after the explosion at the airport. Pepper Potts had done a very good job, and it was his only way to stay out of jail. They had both accepted the orders, much to Steve's annoyance and headed out. They were going, with a unit of Shield agents, to confiscate any illegal technology at AIM. The Oscorp harness was their main goal, but if anyone objected, they were to arrest them.

That had left Steve and Flash, and right now Steve was not in a good mood. He had dealt with laws like this before. He had campaigned against them and had thought that the US had grown up from the last time. He knew refusing to obey could land him in trouble. It didn't matter, principles were more important than orders.

As Ross looked out of the door and motioned to Steve he put a hand on his shoulder, “Behave, son. Getting angry doesn't solve this problem, getting arrested won't do anyone any good.”

Steve clenched his jaw but nodded. He stood with his hands behind his back. He had told Flash to sit outside, that it was better if he was there as moral support but left the talking to him. He would teach him how to argue with the top brass, but for today, it was too important for there to be any mistakes.

Coulson leaned back in his chair, “Cap. I can't do anything, my hands are tied. I already phoned Parker and asked him to stand down and he said no,“ Phil grimaced. “Our orders come from the office of the Senatorial Oversight Commission. We are to make sure we are complying with the new mandate set out by the Xandarians. It would be a lot easier on everyone if you just said yes.”

Steve said nothing and just glared at Phil. “Fine Fine,” and lifting the phone he dialled the number for the command centre. “Get me Senator Malik. It's Coulson.”

As the trio waited, Phil nodded, “Yes Sir, I understand.” and put down the phone. “The Avengers are grounded. No arguments. You are to stand down. We’ll let the orders slide, you get that much for your service Captain.”

Steve tensed and let his hands fall by his side, “This is wrong. The Avengers were created to protect people, and I accepted that. But this is using them as a private security force to arrest the people who should be helping us, not hiding from us. Peter might be a bit rough around the edges, but he doesn't deserve this, and I won't help.” Steve stood and turned to leave.

“Leave the shield,” was all Coulson said.

Steve stopped and turned, “I'm sorry?” 

Coulson leaned back, picking up a pen and writing something down. “You heard. You’re grounded, Captain. You and Flash are disobeying a direct order. Leave the Shield. What you do in your free time, even if it is visiting Russia, is none of my business. But I won't have you sully that name by using it for your own agenda.”

Steve raised an eyebrow, “No. The only stain I'm seeing right now is the one the government is making. So no. This shield was a gift, and it's not government property.”

Ross stepped forward, “Sorry son, not this time. As the officer in charge of the Enhanced Unit, you fall under my command. Leave the shield, Captain Rogers. That is an order.”

Steve saluted. “Under Article Ninety of the Uniform Code, I am officially ignoring that order. It is unethical and unconscionable. I also remember being discharged as I'm well over retirement age. It was a condition of my leading the Avengers.”

Ross clenched his fist, and steam started to rise from it, “Son, that's a big commitment, you know we don’t get to choose. You know civilian lives are at stake here. You-”

Steve raised his hand. “And that's all bullshit. What did they promise you? A better Formula? Stark tech armour of your own. No, this is illegal detainment of innocents, and I won't stand for it, and I'm leaving.” As Steve looked Coulson and Ross over, “And you know you can't stop me.”

Ross stepped in front of him, “I ain’t asking son.” His uniform began to smoke as he swelled to massive proportions. “You ain’t the only Enhanced anymore Cap. Now, drop the Shield and we do this nice and easy.”

Flash had started speaking to Parker, he really hated anyone being in his mind, even if Webb laughed at him. It was too personal, too intrusive.

Look, I won't blame you if you do, but I'm not holding back. Parker had just said and Flash was about to reply when he heard a roar. He paused and looked up as a smouldering Steve crashed through the door of Coulson’s office. He shook himself, and stood, dusting off his armour. "Things went south Flash, maybe tell Peter?" Flash watched as Red Hulk ripped the rest of the door away as he strode through it.

Flash watched as Steve raised his shield and readied himself for Red Hulk's attack. His body armour was burnt in one spot, the armour plates underneath blackened by the heat from Red Hulk. Webb coated him and he cursed, he was unarmed but he could still help.

Yeah, not an issue. Flash sent him. As his Webb armour slid over him, he charged towards Red Hulk.

Steve shook his head and held out his shield to stop Flash. “This is my fight, Webb. Stay back unless I need you.”

Webb nodded.

“Oh, he’ll stay out if he knows what's good for him. Striking a superior officer, that's a court-martial Cap. Now, will you come quietly, and we put this down to emotions running high or do we do this the fun way?” Red asked as he cracked his knuckles.

“Fun way it is.” With an underhanded throw, Cap's shield ricocheted off a wall and struck Red on the side of the head.

“Cheap shots won't work against me, Cap. Army’s training got a lot better since you were at boot.” 

As the Shield ricocheted towards Red he stuck out an arm, blocked it and flicked it over, burying it into the wall. “Not good enough.”

As Cap crouched to receive his attack, Red brought his hands together, clapping. It sent a shockwave through the corridor, stunning Steve and forcing Webb to cover his face with an arm. The screams of the office workers could be heard throughout the building.

Instead, Red charged. He hit Cap with a haymaker, which sent him flying down the corridor. He tumbled before turning it into a roll and righting himself. Slapping out the smouldering top cloth where the heat from Red had set him alight, he raised both his fists. "I won't go easy." He reached over and pulled his shield from the wall. "This isn't right, and you're just making it worse." Cap shook his head and raised his shield. If Hulk tried that again, this time he was prepared.

Agent Webb had watched as the two combat veterans duked it out. While Steve was strong and fast, and his shield gave him a huge advantage, it wasn't good enough against a Hulk. Ross was not as strong as Hulk was, but a lot faster and more in control, and Webb knew that he would lose.

It didn’t matter though. Cap gave as good as he got, and even the thick red knuckles of Red Hulk were bruised and bleeding. Red Hulk was strong, but Vibranium was stronger. As Steve used his superior speed to block each blow with his Shield, the energy was directed back. Webb watched as all that seemed to do was piss off Red more. As he smoked and smouldered the sprinkler system triggered, dousing the trio in water. “Flash, sorry, but run.” Webb looked confused as he saw the haze of steam rising from Red Hulk.

“You ain't going nowhere, soldier boy. You’re under my command, and I say stand down.” He pointed a red finger at Webb, steam rose from it as the heat began to build up.

Webb had ignored him. "I've got your back Cap, Just say the word." Cap nodded. Webb crouched, sending out lines of webbing around Red's feet and then up around his arms and chest. Red snorted and grabbed the webbing in one hand, ripping it free. With a thick fist wrapped around the webbing, it smoked and burned as Red realised his heat. “I said stand down.”

As the Shield swung out once more Red grabbed it in a bigger hand. His muscles swelled and this time his uniform caught alight. Cap yelped in pain as the metal superheated. He had no choice but to let go and Redd snorted, "Some Super Soldier you are." He lifted Cap off the ground and gut-punched him several times before he dropped to the floor. "Stay down, old timer," Red Hulk stated, and he slammed the shield into a wall, burying it up to its edge. He snorted as Cap tried to stand, “Yeah, see. Parker’s little girlfriend might have stabbed me, but she got it all wrong.” He wrapped a hand around Cap’s throat and lifted him from the floor. Cap screamed as his skin began to burn. “That Formula, it was enough to let me gamma up again, an’ I'm through playing. Nobody can beat me, not you, not that tin can, not Parker, and not even Hulk. Red Hulk is the strongest one there is.” Tossing Cap up, he grabbed him by the feet and smashed him into the ground repeatedly.

Flash looked on in horror as Red decimated Cap, and he knew he was next. Red might be stronger than Hulk but the look in his eye told Webb he was crazier as well.

One of Cap's lessons had always been 'If you can't win, or it looks like you’ll lose, there is no shame in retreating.' You always could regroup and retaliate, and right now Webb needed to do that.

Coming to meet General Ross they had taken his pulse pistols and ammo. In a match of strength, Weeb was outmatched. In a battle of wits and strategy he was beaten by years of experience, so he did what Parker had taught him.

He cheated. 

Yelling with the full force of Webb behind him, the psychic shockwave he sent out got Hulk reeling. Webb ran and slid under his legs, straight towards the nearest window. Two balls of sticky webbing, a simple acid even he could memorise, thudded against the glass. As they smoked and hissed he crossed his arms over his face, thickened his armour, and smashed through it. Once he fell a few floors, and made sure Hulk hadn't jumped after him, he sent out a web line and swung out into the city. 

If Ross followed protocol, he would take Steve to Enhanced holding at the new Gamma camp. After that, he would be shipped to the Raft. Webb knew it was somewhere in the Pacific but nobody but the brass knew where.

Steve would be fine. Ross and Coulson wouldn’t hurt him, they would take him into custody. Captain America had a reputation. He could use it to make sure that he got fair treatment. He might hate the celebrity status, but he was a national hero, and that was something in the eyes of the public. Arresting criminals was one thing, but people would ask why Cap had disobeyed a direct order. Of them all, he was probably the most from the repercussions of what came next.

Unlike Peter or himself. Which is why Webb knew he needed backup and he needed to get to them before they left.

Heading to the warehouse, he hoped that Peter or at least one of the others could help him. He couldn't do this alone.

Red Hulk shrank back down and put the newer power-dampening cuffs on Steve. They were supposed to work on Enhanced, some energy-draining mumbo jumbo. Ross never trusted tech, it never worked right. He didn’t care if they worked on Rogers or not. If he tried to run, it just gave him an excuse to smash him. “Coulson. You okay in there?” He yelled and the Director of Shield stepped over what was left of the door.

“You know you should have just let him go. He isn’t one of yours.” Coulson looked around at the devastation.

As he smoothed down his tie, Ross snorted and shrugged. “He pissed me off.”

“Doesn't matter. Webb’s gone, and he’ll probably head for Parker. Make sure there aren't any more incidents. There are enough problems without adding in a bunch of hot-headed Gamma troopers as well.” He reached into his pocket and threw Ross his phone. “I mean it. The Thunderbolts are containment, not engagement. The Avengers are bad enough.”

And sneering, Ross dialled, calling each of his commanders in turn. “My Gamma troopers follow orders, you don't need to worry.”

Coulson raised an eyebrow and looked at the wreckage in the hallway. There were two large holes, both shield-sized and a hole where a supposed bomb-proof window used to be. That didn't include the burn marks and the water damage. “Sure, no reason at all to worry,” he said as he headed back into his office. Coulson poured himself a drink. “Make sure you take care of Parker though, unless you think Stark will actually win.”

Ross snorted, “You know. If I was a betting man, it seems like you planned this. You knew Cap would never give up his shield, and you knew Webb would defend him. I don't like games, Coulson, and I don't like them being played with my men's lives. Parker might be a boy scout now but we know he doesn't pull his punches when something he cares about is on the line.”

Coulson sat back down in his chair, and as he picked up the glass, he swirled it around, “Why’d you think we sent Stark.”

This novel is only hosted on ScribbleHub. 

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/525389/spiderman-the-house-of-venom/

If you would like to read the first draft, you can find it here

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/228718/spiderman-house-of-venom-first-draft/

If you want to contact me, I am on most days. You can leave a message here,

https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/44182/malisson/

Any sites hosting this novel have done so without my permission.

Thank You For Reading.

11