Arc Seven. Chapter One Hundred Eighty-One. A Single Spark
590 1 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Triumphant!”

By J. Jonah Jameson.

“We finally did it ladies and gentlemen. The vote to pass the New York Accords was unanimous. As expected, no side wants to allow these freaks and monsters the power to ruin lives.

The New York Accords now make it a crime to use abilities outwith human capabilities. Before this law, one of these costumed menaces could claim it was part of them. One of the Bugle's top legal teams saw a loophole allowing them to be used like a martial art. A dangerous precedent.

To stop this, from today, anyone using powers to cause harm will face the harshest of punishments. It also allows anyone defending themselves using good American know-how to claim self-defence. Firmly cementing justifiable force against one of these inhuman criminals to be legal.

It is good news ladies and gentlemen, but is it enough?

I personally spoke to the Mayor who is supporting a bill. A new bill. One that will force anyone using strange mutant powers to register themselves. An American citizen has the right to purchase a gun. To do so they follow laws and agree to use that firearm responsibly. These degenerates do not. They are born with immense power and the capability of immense destruction. Vigilanties like Venom skirt the law by using powers that no normal person has.

Even the rich and famous are not immune to this. Harry Osborn followed in his father's footsteps and tried to take over Staten Island. (See Staten Island Siege Daily Bugle Special Edition for more details.) All because he had supposed strange powers. He used these to take control of ordinary working people. It was reported he was forcing people to become slaves. Forcing normal, ordinary people to do his bidding.

What's to stop it from happening again? What's to stop a mutated menace with the power to drop bombs on people from attacking anyone, anywhere?

There is no law to stop them, no law that requires the most dangerous among us the declare their powers. Anyone of them could be hiding a nuclear option, and there is no way of knowing.

Now, we do have the Law on our side to stop them. Right now the Accords are a start but like every great movement, it is only the beginning.

I will be personally taking a proposal to the Mayor, and then to the great Senate of this United States of America. Make no mistake people. They are dangerous but we are united against them.

We are the Human Majority, and we are not afraid.”

J.J. was in his office celebrating when his phone rang. Smiling, with his cigar in his mouth, he lifted the handset, “Jameson.” His mouth split into a huge grin, “I’m pleased to hear that Andy.” He wrote down a phone number, “See you in a week then, “ before replacing the receiver on its cradle.

He lifted it and dialled.

“Senator Malik, Andrew gave me your number. I hear you’re seeking an official presidential endorsement from the Human Majority. I can agree to that.” The smile never left his face as Malik poured golden honeyed words into his ear. It didn’t matter if Jonah thought it was all snake oil, it matters he was getting an official Senator on his roster. “I look forward to hearing you speak at the rally, Senator. See you in a week.”

The Human Majority was gaining more and more ground. Step one had been to add powers to the list of offensive weapons. The law covered everything else, and now so-called superpowers were on the banned list. Next was to make having them an offence. Being born one of those goddamn freaks with unholy abilities was next.

That damn menace would regret killing his son.

Nick Fury looked at the newspaper and frowned. He had expected it to come to this. Shield was slowly being reorganised to have its own Enhanced task force. One that was being handled by a new department. One he had not been invented to oversee.

Alexander Pierce, who was an unsurprising friend of Gideon Malik, was its commander. He was busy combing each department, cherry-picking his own team of agents. Some agents Fury was glad to get rid of, but others were being forcefully resigned. it was move or quit. Not good when senior agents, well-trained and well-liked, were being shown the door.

His need for an off-the-books unit of his own was becoming more and more apparent. The Avengers were being touted as a political stunt more than a combat unit. Even Captain America saw action eventually but this was more like his old stage shows. Show up, wave a flag and then let new well-equipped Shield personnel deal with the problem.

Banner had been cut, Stark was being asked to donate suits and had so far refused. Carol had been discharged and was wanted for questioning. The only ace he had left was Parker.

He just hoped that pulling in the city's most wanted criminal was something he wouldn't come to regret.

Emma threw the newspaper down on Shaw's desk. “Are you out of your damn mind?” she asked, trying to keep from yelling.

“Desperate people look for a leader, solutions they wouldn't normally go for. So. No, I am not out of my damn mind, Emma.” Shaw picked up the newspaper and threw it back at her, “And it’s not your place to question me.”

“This and those damn machines will come back to bite you in the ass, Sebastian. Once you expose us, there is no going back.”

Shaw snorted, “Once I let the world know who really rules them, there will be no need to. And mind your place. I can replace you, just as easily as I replaced Osborn.”

Emma snorted, “Look how that turned out. Both of them, insane.” She shook her head and paused as she made to leave his office. “Plans like this have a way of getting out of hand. Make sure you don’t regret the path you’ve picked.”

Shaw snorted as she left. He knew exactly what he was doing. The riling up of the masses was nothing new, witch hunts, book burning, it was nothing special. Coming out against the powered or ‘Enhanced’ was just the next logical step. Once they accepted the new rules, it would be easy to add more until they were chains.

Shaw leant back in his chair, lifting and smelling a fine Cuban cigar. He never made a decision he regretted. Not once. He struck a match and smiled as he lit the end, tasting the sweet smoke.

Osborn had the right idea but went about it the wrong way. He was too impatient, too willing to stick his own neck out. No, Shaw would wait, he would let them braid their own noose. Malik would have to be dealt with though. A President was only good if he listened. A collar around his neck would solve that issue.

First the President and then everyone else. Those damn pathetic apes would learn who was their true master.

Across the city, people celebrated, but the mood in the warehouse was sombre.

“It doesn't make a difference right?” Peter asked the group. “We’re already fugitives, so, being sent away for years means what?”

Liv took a deep breath, “This is just the start Peter. What happens when it's a blood test to find out who has powers? Or if someone’s an alien. It’s not the law that matters, it's what they do to enforce it.”

Liv didn’t want to explain how she knew it would get worse. She grew up with stories of the wonders of the Third Reich, and once she was old enough to know better, its true horror.

“So, then what? I mean, Venom can’t run for Mayor.”

Liv sat down at the breakfast table, “I think we should make sure everyone who is a host is also Enhanced with formula. We need to funnel money into dummy accounts and create boltholes. I might not think of that time fondly, or at all if possible but I did learn a few things about staying hidden.”

Felicia nodded, “I can set up a few safe houses with the Cats. Make some untraceable money.” Peter raised an eyebrow. “Not literally doofus.”

Peter laughed and shook his head as he smiled, “I know, it’s just. I mean,” He sighed, “is this really the way we want to go?”

It was Felicia's turn to laugh, “really? Says the vigilante, to the crime boss, the ex-supervillain, and the illegal chemist.” Felicia looked over, ”and MJ.”

MJ snorted, “Yeah, only that one thing. I’m practically a saint.”

“Handling stolen goods doesn't count when you don’t know they are stolen,” Liv said with a small wink. “Plus, I merely redirected an honest requisition. Norman never said I couldn't, so I screwed him for millions of dollars.”

MJ laughed, “And then we stole it.”

“I prefer creatively rehomed,” Peter added, “plus, I did leave a small token of thanks.”

Liv raised an eyebrow, “Yes, one cup noodle. How generous.”

“One gourmet cup noodle,” Peter grinned, “and I noticed that you ate it.”

Liv shook her head as she smiled, “It was the nicest thing anyone had done for me in years. Of course, I ate it.”

“And then tried to blow up the city,“ Felicia added bluntly. “You should have done what you did with me, and fucked her in her kitchen.”

The group stared at her and Peter coughed, trying his very hardest not to laugh.

Liv smirked, hiding a smile behind her coffee mug.  “I tried, and he did. Eventually.”

“That’s Pete. Mr Eventually.” Gwen said, raising her own mug in a toast. “But, not really relevant. I don’t really like the idea of powering everyone up. The more we do the more chances we have of being caught.”

“And I am tired of feeling weak. I am tired of being branded something I am not. So, I would like to be enhanced as you are Peter. If they come for me again, I won’t be taken without a fight.”

“Liv,” Peter started but she clenched her teeth and glared at him.

“No, Peter. I will not be brought to heel again.” she almost snarled at him,

“Uh, not what I was going to say, I mean, I was going to ask if you wanted to start training with us.” He admitted sheepishly.

“Liv sighed and rubbed her forehead, “Sorry, it’s just. Yes. I would, and Gwen, we need to talk about the Formula you’ll use.”

She turned to face her, "You don't really need it do you? I mean, Ravage already fixed the damage didn't she?"

Liv nodded. "She did, dear. Then Octave repaired everything else. But with the city giving the police free rein to do whatever the hell they want I still want to formula, and, a bit more." Liv tapped her tablet and a news article appeared.

Gwen frowned. "The Hulk? What's that got to do with this?"

"Banner was working on a formula similar to Oscorps. But he used gamma radiation to bond it to his cells. Of course, it failed but if my theory is correct then we might be able,"

"No," Peter interrupted, "Hulk and Red trashed Harlem, they're monsters Liv, and I won't let you."

Liv patted his hand, "It's not really your call dear. What was it you said? I'd let MJ cartwheel naked down Fifth Avenue if she wanted. Well, I want this, plus even I’m not stupid enough to use gamma radiation. No, its frequency is too high, too disruptive. I'll use something a bit lighter, trust me, Peter, who's the radiation expert here hmm?" but Peter still shook his head.

"Liv, it's not about who's smarter, it's about risk. I." Peter sighed. "I don't want any of you hurt after Gwen was," Peter clenched his fists, "I don't want you to risk yourselves, please."

Liv came over and hugged Peter, "And we would do the same for you, my dear, you mean so much to all of us and yet you do these things. You risk yourself to keep us safe. It's time you let us repay that favour. Felicia and Gwen are both enhanced already. MJ," Liv sighed. "MJ wants a normal life, and Muse is content to let her have that too. I, on the other hand, was a prisoner for far too long, this is what I want Peter, let me help you."

Peter had no choice but to nod. He made it a rule, no matter what, he would support each of them whatever they wanted.

"Good, because I need a blood transfusion as well. I want the whole package, my dear. Blood, formula, radiation and Symbiote. A superior Octavius. Noone, especially not after that little shit, threatens my Peter. So chop chop dear, the city won't wait and neither should we. Gwen dear, as much formula as you think I can handle and the same from Peter."

Gwen sighed and leaned back in her chair. She stared at the coffee mug in front of her. Life had been going so well. She had a personal relationship forming with Pepper Potts. The woman was very interested in what else she could come up with that wasn't an Iron Man suit. This was on another level though.

“No.” Liv sat up but Gwen raised a hand, “Not until I've finished the Formula. You saw Norman, and we have no idea what else Harry did.” She sat forwards and looked at the group, “Pete’s the unofficial leader but for this, I am saying no.”

Liv scowled and pursed her lips, “I can agree with that, but the risk is mine,”

Gwen laughed and sat forwards, “No it isn't. It's all of ours. Did we not just say they could come for us.” She looked at everyone and got a wave of shrugs and nods, “Then explain a dead body.” She sat back and threw her hands up. “You might think you're expendable, and great, you're not, but let's say the worst happens and you die. Want to explain a dead body to Fury? Or do we throw you in the river like secret agent guy?”

Liv frowned, “Secret agent guy?”

Gwen waved a hand, “not important. You dying is. So no. Streak with MJ down Fifth, sure, go right ahead, but don’t ask me to start handing out Formula like its candy.”

Peter smiled, “And so says my favourite Stacy.”

Gwen snorted, “I’m the only Stacy,”

Peter stood and moved to kiss her on the cheek, “And so my favourite.”

“Well then, “ Liv said as she stood, “Set up the machines and I can run samples with Curt.” Liv looked down. “I’m just used to being slightly irresponsible.”

“Building a star is not slightly anything.” Gwen teased her.

Liv huffed softly and started making her way to the lab, “Build one star and nobody ever lets you forget it.”

This novel is only hosted on ScribbleHub. 

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/525389/spiderman-the-house-of-venom/

If you would like to read the first draft, you can find it here

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/228718/spiderman-house-of-venom-first-draft/

If you want to contact me, I am on most days. You can leave a message here,

https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/44182/malisson/

Any sites hosting this novel have done so without my permission.

Thank You For Reading.

29