Arc Twelve. Chapter Three Hundred Thirty-Five. Tall Tales
272 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Peter had let the excited Shuri return to her exploration, while he dealt with the fuming four.

Only Ben seemed to be happy as he continued to use the harness. He was unpacking the jeep that the others had travelled in and started to set up their camp. They had been living in the tents of the men the local police captain had provided. Now they knew there was no treasure, that hospitality dried up, and had to fend for themselves.

With his own rucksack and minimal gear, Peter set up slightly apart from them. Ben set up the large marquee tents in a circle and set up a gas stove in the centre.

Peter's gear was more compact. It was constructed from the long-chain polymer that they had developed. While a morphic symbcell was useless his webbing wasn't. It was some of the products they were going to market. A thick but compact and light sleeping bag. Single tent, and a small arcstar powered heater and stove.

Soon the six sat around the fire, with an awkward silence in the air.

“Right, well, this is stupid and I don't have time for it. Reed, get it off your chest. Sue, you can go next, anyone else after that can get a turn.” Peter stated as he dropped a spoon into his canteen cup. The MRE Ben had provided was satisfying if a little bland.

“I’ve got nothing to say. You waltzed here, took over and treated us like idiots,” Reed stated and sat back, his own meal tasteless and bland. "But without you, we would have found nothing." He sounded bitter with the last statement.

“Why did you come here, Mr Parker?” Sue asked.

Peter shrugged. “I wanted to find out what Apocalypse had been doing. You read the report. If there was anything here to seriously threaten the Earth we needed to know and neutralize it.”

Reed snorted, “Take it you mean?”

Peter raised an eyebrow. This was a Parker Inc funded expedition, and the contracts clearly stated that. Anything found was Parker Inc property. The Storm Foundation and DoomCo would be allowed the research data, but nothing else.

Entitled asshole, Peter thought. It was another reason he didn't like Reed.

“Wouldn't be the first time. Dangerous things make dangerous situations. I've been shot, stabbed, gutted, thrown into space, and a whole lot more. This isn't a game. Apocalypse was an Augment with centuries of power behind him, and the ability to use it.”

Reed snorted, “I hardly think that an immortal being really existed. The science alone is impossible.”

Peter shook his head, “Really? So you don't believe Captain America was real, or Hulk, or Ultron?”

Reed scowled. “I've seen into other dimensions, there's nothing there. Aliens might exist, but true cellular immortality is impossible. Super strength, superhuman abilities, it's just not scientifically feasible.”

Peter laughed, “And because the great Reed Richards hasn't seen it, it doesn't exist? You arrogant jackass. What did you watch me do earlier? Did you not watch me move rocks that Ben needed a mechanical harness to lift?”

Reed shook his head, “You have two. The harness has a resizing option, so you have a spare.”

Peter sucked on his bottom lip. He really didn't want to reveal more of his powers to Reed than he already had. This partnership wasn't going to work. He knew he hadn't been at his best, but so far Reed had been nothing but confrontational.

“You know, I don't owe you anything. So far the amazing Reed Richards has been nothing but an arrogant jackass. You remind me of Tony Stark." Peter smirked as Reed's face showed something other than a sneer. "Well, aside from the talent, intelligence, money, and charisma." He looked over at Sue, "At least you have a hot blonde who probably does all the work you take credit for.” Peter stood, "And she's probably smarter than you as well."

He raised his arms, and slowly spun on the spot. As he came back around, his clothing shifted and changed into a pair of combat trousers and boots, with a shirt. Then into a tracksuit and then a dress. Finally, as Sue gasped, nothing at all. He was at least facing away from them. He had no intention of flashing anyone.

“Symbskin. A symbiotic coating covering my entire body. I can control its morphic field, shaping it into anything I want, or reabsorb it back into my body.”

Reed's eyes flicked down and then back up. “I can see that. There are ladies present.”

“Oh no, there's more. I am sensitive to impulses of electricity. Johnny is marvelling at how someone can have such a nice ass. Ben is thinking it's not that impressive. You think, amongst other things, that I'm trying to steal Sue. Sue is wondering if the front is just as impressive, but sorry Sue, not turning around." Clothes slid out and formed back into his cargo pants and shirt. Peter sat back down as the trio stared. The only one not looking impressed was Viktor. "Viktor, you are blocking my telepathy, and I would like to know how.”

Viktor stared at him and then laughed. “If you promise to share more of your abilities, I will tell you.” Viktor parted his hair. “I have a plate in my head, from an accident when I was a child.”

But Reed snorted. “Telepathy? You expect me to believe that? I can accept you have some kind of unstable molecular clothing. Your tent is the same right, but superhuman abilities? You're a charlatan, and whatever you're doing with AIM is only to get Killian's money. I saw how much he paid you, I know that he got your patents back.”

Peter shook his head, “Aldrich gave me those in good faith for saving his wife. She was poisoned with a serum called Extremis, and I paid him back for those patents. He got a settlement when he left. Look, if you don't want to join AIM I don't care. With Hammer dead and Aldrich gone, it’s the three groups sat right here. Parker Inc, The Storm Foundation, and DoomCo. If you say no then who cares. AIM folds and we all walk our separate ways, I don't get what the big deal is. I'm trying to be as nice as I can, but you're acting on some slight, imagined or not.”

As Reed's eyes moved over to Sue, Peter shook his head. “Really? I met Sue a few hours ago, I'm marrying Shuri of Wakanda, and have eight others. Sure you're pretty, but no. Why would you even think that?”

“He doesn't. He’s mad because I want to join Parker Inc and work with Gwen, and he thinks I'm attracted to you,” Sue sighed and admitted. “Gwen gushed over you, and accidentally sent me a few pictures of uh, that.”

Peter laughed. “That's it?” Reed was obviously in the 'you're a morally corrupt asshole' camp. He wouldn't be the first, and definitely not the last. Charles made his thoughts known on the subject as well. Surprisingly it was Tony who came out in support, probably because he was jealous. As he shook his head he rummaged in his pack and pulled out a small bottle. “Reed, I don't want your girlfriend. So offence Sue,  but really. The rest would kill me, and it's not a joke.” If that was Reed's only problem, that was easily solved.

That got Johnny's attention. “You mean you really do have nine?” He asked.

Peter nodded. “Gwen, Liv, MJ, Felicia, Carol, Natasha, Laura, Wanda, and Shuri.” As Peter opened the bottle he tipped a small amount into a cup, “Add that to your coffee. Ivan says the best way for men to get over their differences is to get drunk, so let's get drunk.”

Reed sniffed at the cup. “Is this cleaning fluid?”

Peter laughed. “Gwen makes it. I’m resistant to most poisons, so it's a bit strong, but it's fine.” Reed sniffed and looked doubtfully at Peter. “It's fine, honest.”

Sue took the cup, “Ivan, Russian?” Peter nodded. Sue gave a single nod and drained the cup, coughing right afterwards. “Shit, that is cleaning fluid.” As Reed rubbed her back, she sat up and with a slightly flushed face, waved the cup at Peter. “Another,” and he grinned and nodded, pouring a small amount into her cup. As she leant back, she whispered in Reed’s ear, unaware that Peter could hear them, “and I’ll prove just how much I don't want him. Later, my tent, bring condoms, lots of condoms.”

The night devolved into a small drinking contest. While the day was fatal for alcohol the night was cool. With coffee as a mixer, it wasn't hard. Peter only packed a small bottle, craftily labelled as medicinal.  It was enough for a small party, and it brought the six a little closer together. Reed seemed to loosen up, and Sue stopped glaring. Johnny was regaling Viktor with stories, while Ben just sat observing. Peter joined in when prompted, but like Ben, was more interested in seeing Reed when he wasn't so uptight.

As the night drew to a close Peter looked over at a very pissed off-looking Sue. He guessed from Reed's apologetic behaviour that unsurprisingly, they didn't bring condoms. He could have offered some from his pack. He had them to use not as a prophylactic, but as a way to keep things dry. He was going to keep them to himself as Reed hadn't apologised. He figured Reed could go fuck himself rather than Sue.

In the morning, Peter found Ben making more coffee and as the sun rose, he helped by making breakfast. He was a light sleeper and up at the time normally. With some small packets of herbs from his own pack, the powdered eggs turned out better than expected. With the addition of flatbread bought from the local market, it was a decent enough breakfast,

“If we are going to be working together, Mr Parker. I for one would like to know what you are exactly. While Reed might not believe you are superhuman, I know that there is more in the world than just us,” Viktor asked.

Peter agreed. The group had discussed what to do with the knowledge of the Symbiotes. Revealing their nature slowly seemed the best idea. Staying in the dark made you the bogeyman. A fact JJ used all the time. Nothing was known about the Augments except their destructive power. Spider-Man remained a hidden figure. Even Venom was the monster in Black. All because there was no information. By coming forth with real faces of real people, they could humanise them. They could stop JJ from demonising them. It could go horribly wrong, which was why it would be done slowly. Starting with people like Viktor and Reed.

But he wasn't about to reveal anything without permission. He wasn't the only one affected by showing everyone he had powers.

“Sure, but let me check something.” After sending a text to Gwen, Sue's phone tinged, and after he checked the reply, he nodded. “Right, so Sue now works for me. Reed, you’re still a maybe as there are a few accidents on your file I want to hear your side of first. But, in the forties.” Peter began to explain the creation of the Formula, Oscorps revival of it, and Gwen's eventual fixing of it. Extremis, Symbiotes, and the Augmented were for later. Once they were completely trustworthy.

“And you can prove this?” Reed asked.

Peter nodded. “The Formula is just that, a chemical formula. Which Sue will be working on, amongst other things. Parker Inc is a research and development company. Reed, we don't just manufacture.” In truth right now R and D was all they did, manufacturing was still being worked on.

“Then DoomCo accepts your partnership. Olivia Octavius extended a hand to help with a few technical issues we are having with our Doombots.”

Peter gave him a half-hearted smile. “You didn't get Hammer to help did you?”

But Viktor laughed, “No, I did meet Mr Vanko, and he was an interesting man. I would appreciate it if you did not interfere if I offer him a working position.”

Peter shrugged, “Too late. I offered him one at the Expo. He has my spare harness, and I don't think unless you can match that, he’ll move.” Catching the look on Ben's face, Peter knew it might be the same for him as well.

A certain breed of man, once you handed him a new toy would be your friend forever. With the gleam in his eye, he knew that with a small nudge, Ben Grimm would be part of Parker Inc.

Viktor snorted, “I see that look, and you are right. Please in future, however, do not just poach every available employee on the market. I was led to believe that this was a partnership, not a dictatorship.” and Peter nodded.

“Well, there are only two more. Johnny, we don't have a position for you, I mean, you’re training to be a pilot, right? But Ben, we do need a head of security, comes with a few perks.”

As Reed gave Peter the stink eye Johnny shrugged and went back to breakfast.

Ben wistfully rubbed a hand over the harness he was still wearing. “Uh I, Uh”

Peter raised a hand, stopping him from making the decision right then. “I know. The way Reed looks at you, I almost thought it was you and Reed, but I get loyalty. My only issue with Reed is his recklessness.” As Reed snorted Peter tilted his head. “Fine, 2010. An explosion in the Massachusetts campus, blamed on a gas leak, but it was in your class, was it you?” As Reed shook his head, Peter knew he was lying. “2011, the chemical explosion at Harvard?” Again, it was a lie. Each time Peter asked, Reed shook his head and the lies rolled from him like clouds of poison.

“Final one then, Were you responsible for the explosion that gave Ben his scar?” but this time he let the Mind Stone wrap its power around Reed.

“Yes, I was trying to make fireworks to impress Sue and it went wrong. The mix caught fire after I left a Bunsen burner on and forgot about it. I only went back as I wanted to rescue a book Sue gave me.”

Ben’s face fell.

“What no, it wasn't me. I didn’t,” Reed stammered.

But Peter pushed once more, “And the rest?”

“They were all me. Franklin Richards paid the Universities off on the condition I stay off-campus.”

Peter finished his coffee, “thank you, Reed. That's all I wanted to know.”

Reed stood and pointed a finger at Peter, “No, you made me say all that. I didn't do any of it.”

Peter just shrugged and gave Reed his best grin.

“Thought you didn't believe I had powers?”

This novel is only hosted on ScribbleHub. 

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/525389/spiderman-the-house-of-venom/

If you would like to read the first draft, you can find it here

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/228718/spiderman-house-of-venom-first-draft/

If you want to contact me, I am on most days. You can leave a message here,

https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/44182/malisson/

Any sites hosting this novel have done so without my permission.

Thank You For Reading.

17