C.25 : Self Preservation Above All Else
1.9k 14 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wait." Odelle redirected Orissa's momentum as she flashed past her and blocked the door, keeping the two from escaping. Orissa staggered a step before regaining her balance, looking at Odelle quietly.

"I don't care, they cannot live Odelle, I'm not interested in dying." Odelle looked at Orissa and saw she was deathly serious, but she gestured for her to wait a bit.

"Oliver right? We seem to have a conflict of interest here unfortunately. We can't have you spreading the fact you managed to injure Orissa because that would mean humans would have an advantage that could destroy us."

"I wouldn't..." The redhead muttered, realizing if not for Odelle, both she and her brother would have been bleeding out on the floor.

"You may not, but humans are persuasive. They may use torture or blackmail? Or maybe you just wanting to rise up in life would damn us? I cannot trust humans with this knowledge, Odelle if you stop me, I will fight you." Orissa looked at Odelle who stared back and sighed heavily.

"There is another way for you two. Either you face assured death here because I won't endanger my relationship with Orissa for you, or you become vampires where the possibility of death isn't completely nil."

"Become vampires?" Oliver muttered, meanwhile Carl who had been watching the precedings with fear wanted to run, but Orissa glanced at him and chills ran down his spine.

"You want to kill us? Why? I thought you were helping me." Oliver spoke grimly while holding his sister closer to him. He knew if it came down to it, he wouldn't even be able to delay these two a second.

"We were, but you did something you shouldn't have. It may seem like I'm forcing you to death by telling you this, and it kind of is, but I can't go against her for you."

Both Oliver and the redhead looked at Orissa who stared back, but unlike before where her eyes were playful or bored, they were now calm and indifferent towards them.

"Orissa, do you need to kill them?" Alice tugged the corner of her her dress gently, pulling her eyes towards her. Orissa looked at her quietly and patted her head to calm her down a bit.

"How often do you think Orissa has been injured since becoming a vampire? Once, by those dogs. You managed to pierce her skin which is nigh on invulnerable to conventional weapons."

"If the humans who despise our kind want to kill us, you could help them, inadvertently or on purpose. I don't like this idea much, but we can try to turn you into vampires and you won't have to die today."

"Turn us into vampires? But you said we could die?" Oliver spoke up feeling his sister's trembling body. Orissa gave them a look of indifference and flexed her fingers as her nails grew longer.

"Either you do it with the possibility of death, or you die for certain. You will be stronger and faster than humans, why not take a gamble?" Orissa spoke calmly, but Odelle could hear her impatience.

"I can't let my siste-" Oliver started to speak but the redhead cut of his words with her own hurriedly. She felt responsible for this since Oliver wouldn't be here if not for trying to help her.

"I'll do it. I don't want my brother to die, so can we please leave him out of this? Please? I kind of understand your concerns, but if I become a vampire, he won't do anything that would bring harm to me." Orissa walked over to the redhead and stared at her silently.

"You would die for him, and he would for you. I still don't like leaving him free, but I can manage. I can tell he loves you, but I do wonder if you'll still leave liabilities after you become a vampire."

"We're driven by self preservation above all else, so threats to our well-being are pretty much met with drastic measures. I do want to say sorry for causing you this pain in advance, what's your name?" Orissa stroked her red hair gently.

"Sierra. My name is Sierra, your's is Orissa?" Sierra asked, her voice trembling slightly to which Orissa nodded and pulled her into a gentle hug to ease her nerves.

"Yes. This won't hurt too much, but it is really uncomfortable. Since we have Carl here, you can drink him when you finish. Sierra..." Orissa looked into Sierra's green eyes and stared.

"You can survive this. You had a will to live, and you even managed to stab me. You can survive this. Focus on your wanting to live, and don't give up." Orissa smiled, and a small smile appeared on Sierra's face as she took a trembling breath and nodded her head.

"I won't leave you to die, so fight Sierra." Orissa slid her tongue on her fang and tasted her blood in her mouth. Unlike a human's, this was fruity and delicious but provided no sustenance whatsoever to her.

Orissa inhaled Sierra's scent, and in a smooth motion, she bit her neck, pressing her almost healed tongue against Sierra's ruptured artery. Instead of flowing back into Orissa's mouth, the virus quickly spread through the blood and into Sierra's body.

"We can stay here since the guy who fell over is registered to that room, if we go back, we might get discovered." Odelle leaned against the door and watched as Orissa successfully infected Sierra.

"Sierra, do not die." Orissa pulled away and licked her red lips, lifting Sierra into a princess carry and placing her on the sofa, making sure she wouldn't fall over and then stepping back into Oliver's path, stopping Oliver from coming over.

"You wouldn't want to be next to her when she regains clarity, so just stay to the side." Orissa smiled but Odelle and Alice who had been with her longer could see her unwillingness to do what she did, but her instincts drove her and she could not fight them.

"Sierra, you can do this!" Oliver shouted as he walked back to the wall, his heart racing in concern and worry, but neither Odelle or Orissa could assuage his worries since there was a chance Sierra would not wake up.

"She will pull through, she has to because she has you after all." Orissa spoke and saw Sierra's fingers curl into a fist, and she could recall the experience and felt sorry she did what she did to someone else, like someone had done to her.

89