544. Time Heals All Wounds
362 8 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arrangements for 351 PA were now in order. With less than five days left the Nexus entered a state of hidden pandemonium. The Sacral Appraisers of Justica Arms worked grueling hours tending to the crystals that grew within the expansive Middle Sanctums.

The Moons of the Nexus were guided by Stars to become familiar with the interior of the Nexus. While in one hand it was their home, in the other it was a fortress. Since the War in Heaven meant that people could enter the Nexus uninvited all personnel needed to familiarize themselves with the layout in the event of war fell into their soil.

Frost took major precautions as did the Beholders. Their goals moving into the following year were simple: to bolster their power and reclaim all assets that had been lost.

It was clearly not an easy goal as the Ateliers and the Beholders themselves required to constantly churn and devour Nex, as well as meet the demand quotas of their products to maintain their Atelier at an acceptable level.

The Ateliers were, after all, the manifestation of their philosophies.

It was a topic for the first Arbiter’s Council of 351 PA, but something Frost also had to deeply consider. Because she wanted to know which Beholders would be readily available in the event of an emergency.

Ultimately, she wanted to keep the Beholders centralized but also understood that it would not be an easy feat.

In the meantime, Frost returned to her Floor. The moment she stepped into its doors she was greeted by a sight to behold. A beautiful, red-brick pathway led to the mouth of a bustling town of several hundred. Their voices were carried by a sweeping breeze that brought about the floral scent of the gardens built along the plains and low hills.

Many streams ran along, supporting the growth of these flowerbeds. Crops such as corn and cabbage were grown in cultivation fields by Healers who wielded red, fleshy apparatuses created by none other than Ignis. The Healers that worked in the fields did not need to, but it was something that they personally wanted despite resources already being abundant on the Floor.

They were equipped in adorable gardening outfits almost too large for them, with some going in with only a shirt and shorts on. Despite the ‘tools’ doing the heavy lifting for them, they still broke a sweat as they were not used to physical labor.

The Black Wings on the other hand ran laps around the fields in their small squads of five. Even Moons helped around whether out of an obligation as part of their community, or because of something undiscernible within their chests.

The coloration of their hearts had become much better now, with their desires and old emotions gradually returning. Frost guessed that in a few months Serum G will be flushed out of their systems for good.

Plus, it was nice seeing the Moons in outfits that weren’t suits. In fact, Moons put in the largest effort into making this space as livable as possible.

The houses followed a strange blend of gothic and tudor architecture, with the lower floor made of brick and the upper made of timber. The beams, which were Ignis’ bones but masterfully disguised, were highlighted in this design which Anna believed to be the best fit.

She wanted something different for all residents to be able to clearly differentiate their home from the rest of the world.

“Amalga – I mean –!” A Healer rushed up to Frost, skipping over the streams only to fall flat on her face into the dirt. “– Frost~! Ehehe~!”

Her cap flew off, and her clothing was stained brown, but even so, she looked up over at a quickly approaching Frost with a smile worth a thousand more.

“Here. Stand up. Are you ok?” [Cleanse IV] removed the filth from her body in an instant.

Once on her feet, the girl cheerily clasped Frost’s hand, her eyes beaming like stars.

“Thanks to you! It’s been so long since you’ve come to visit!”

It hasn’t really been that long, has it?

“You forget that your Floor is under the influence of an Isolation Sphere.”

Frost’s gaze moved towards the center of the Floor where a pale, rectangular monolith rose like this world’s version of the Nexus.

Right. My day out would have been a week for them.

After a brief greeting, she let the Healer go her own way. She wasn’t the only one to approach her too. Fruits, flowers, and all kinds of delicious treats were served to her by both White Doves and the Black Wings whenever she came to visit her Floor. They were like children yearning for their parent’s attention, but they were also mindful as to not completely swamp her.

Not that Frost minded. People would kill to be flocked to by Healers like her. One by one, a new piece of apparel was hung on her body. First it was a flower wreath. Another was a necklace. A bracelet. An entire basket of sandwiches. She had become a walking Christmas tree before she could even walk up the steps leading to her home.

She climbed the newly built steps that went up the small hill. The yard before her manor was filled with slimes as always. As much as she would have liked to feel their cool gel around her skin, she gave them a small glare to keep them from approaching.

Many slimes shivered as teardrops formed beneath their eyes.

I’m so sorry, but I don’t need any more ornaments on me right now.

Once inside, she plopped everything down carefully as she scanned the empty atrium. Not a single soul was present despite the mess left behind by presumably Cer. Jury was busy working within her Workshops according to Nav. And sadly, Frost had to deflate with a long, depressed sigh.

“Let her know I’m back.”

“No need. She’s already on her way. Her Frost sensors have alerted her before I had a chance.”

“Maybe she needs some Vitamin F.” Frost grinned, pointing at herself with a thumb. “F and J.”

“FMJ? Are you talking about full metal jacket?”

“No… never mind Nav. Don’t make me self-conscious about my pronunciation.” Frost waved her hand dismissing an invisible Nav. “FMJ. Do you think that Vengeful Red Corrupted uses specialized bullets?”

Considering the name, it must be bullets sourced from unending hatred.

“Unending hatred to end said hatred. Sounds like the logic of a Corrupted alright.” She mused before walking back outside the estate. As she walked down the eastern wing of the estate, she asked Nav: “Is Ignis busy?”

“No. You arrived at a good time. She asked for your whereabouts just now.”

She strode through the wide, timber halls with slack. There was no need for her to maintain her image here. Her home was one of the few places where she was able to drop all honorifics and that cursed ‘empress’ persona she picked up ever since she met the Adventurers of Grandis.

Excitement coursed through her veins unexpectedly. The jolt of electricity made her smile as she imagined what her journey around Elysia would be like now as an overpowered ‘Adventurer’.

She eventually brought herself back as the squeaks of her rubber soles returned. By now she had reached the far end where a red door with a white cross awaited. The white cross had veins and nerves creeping into it from the red. It was a subtle addition that few were able to recognize.

Never mind the cross. In this world the cross which was heavily associated with health on Earth meant nothing here. What replaced it was the white feather. Frost, however, wanted to bring it here.

But she did not want to associate it with magical healing. Rather –

“Is she waiting inside of her clinic?” Frost asked, knocking on the door once.

– She wanted it to represent practical medicine; a process that healing could not possibly replicate.

And at the core of this idea was Ignis.

Slits then formed along the crimson part of the door. What mimicked wood now had the texture of warped flesh. Suddenly, the slits opened to reveal many red, feline eyes which widened emotionlessly at the sight of her.

Then, the door opened. But rather than a creak it let out a wet squelch.

“Ignis. It’s time for your weekly evaluation.”

15