545. A Black Wing In The Emergency Room
189 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two months ago, Ignis received the power to create organic material. Since then, Frost had used her spare time to teach her everything she knew of the human body to facilitate her knowledge.

While Skills could not be increased by knowledge alone and had to progress through practical experience – it was wisdom that increased one’s breadth of flexibility. Frost was a living example of this, as she had unique ways to combine her Skills together to create unexpected combinations.

Though it has admittedly been a while since she had to resort to creative endeavors.

The door peeled open, revealing a sterile-white laboratory. A single bed resided in the center of the spacious interior as rows of wide desks surrounded it. Various instruments made from flesh resided atop those desks including long strands of veins and arteries which looked like the legs of a decapitated jellyfish.

“Frost. You’re here already.” Ignis greeted her with a warm smile, waving with a hand that had transformed into many thin tentacles. “Troubling. Can I finish this quickly before my evaluation?”

Laid atop the bed was a naked Black Wing. A thin, absorbable material covered her body as she gave Frost a weak smile. And beside her head was another pair of Healers that kept her alive with a constant stream of healing magic.

 

Black Wing | HP: 845 | 1,250

 

“Of course. Did something happen while I was away?” Frost hurriedly stood by the bedside of the Black Wing and took one of her hands.

In that instant her muscles relaxed as black particles invaded her body. [Prolonged Stasis V] guaranteed the Black Wing’s life. Though the Healers beside her were already more than enough.

“Nm. Don’t know. She collapsed and the Healers couldn’t heal her properly. It’s painful for her to breathe. Lots of pain in her chest.” Ignis gave a rapid handover before placing a hand under the covers, causing major discomfort to the woman. “Mn. It’ll be ok Healer. Frost is here now.”

“Ghhk… I figured…” The Black Wing squeaked, her arms begging to clutch at her chest.

“My healing can’t through to her. Even [Cure Disease] isn’t working.” Frost commented, hovering a hand above the covers. “May I take a look at you?”

“Please…”

There was nothing to be found at a first glance. But she quickly took note of her shortness of breath and quickly brought a finger to the woman’s wrist.

“I’m with you. I have a Skill that prevents anything from going wrong, so please trust us.” Her tender voice brought the Black Wing to ease, as did her touch. “Ignis. She’s tachycardic and her pulse is weak. Her lips are slightly blue too.”

“Signs of respiratory problems… Because that can mean her heart is compensating for the lack of oxygen in her body.” Ignis caught on quickly. Speaking to her was hardly like talking to a child anymore. “This will hurt a little bit. Please administer the painkillers. Or else…”

The Healers dropped two beads for the girl to take sublingually, which meant to allow it to dissolve under the tongue. It impressed Frost that they were aware that the sublingual route was faster than taking a substance orally.

Inflow Direct’s painkillers were powerful to normal people. The unfortunate truth was that those that were stronger had to rely heavily on pure grit and sheer willpower to go through similar surgical procedures.

Ignis was able to suppress parts of the nervous system but only through severing the nerves, which in itself was a painful procedure. For now it was better to use substances.

Then, after exactly a minute, her tentacles glided down to the woman’s upper-inner thighs. She could not feel it at all, but even so, as per Frost’s teachings, she still needed to ask her for consent to proceed any further.

“Is this ok? I want to take a closer look at you.”

She asked a bit late, but she’s doing just fine. Her enthusiasm needs some work too, but I think remaining stoic has its advantage in this kind of situation. It’s been a while since I’ve been involved in something like this.

“An operation?”

Yep. Never had a hand in it myself since I don’t have the qualifications. But in this world, I’m practically the only one that can give the thumbs up.

Frost didn’t expect to meet Ignis in these conditions, but it was a good coincidence as much as she did not want to admit it. It had been over a month since Ignis took a deep dive into the realm of biology. With the Isolation Sphere she easily had nearly a year of experience cultivated already, but that was only through studies.

But in practice Ignis was still an infant.

However, she was by far the closest thing to a doctor – no, a surgeon in this world. Carpalis had been her regular test subject for some time now and she only had incremental successes. To what extent now was something Frost wanted to keep as a surprise.

As for right now, she wanted to see how far Ignis’ knowledge had come, as well as how her powers paired with it. This was why she did not outright state what the issue was and only provided hints from what she observed.

Also, it wasn’t like Frost knew the source of the problem either, but she was aware that it must have been caused by a foreign object if Healing magic did not work. That, or electrical activity of the heart which was yet another thing that could not be treated with healing magic.

“You’re watching closely, Frost. It’s making me nervous.” Ignis glared up at her, which meant she was embarrassed.

“Ignis. You can’t say that in front of the person you’re trying to help.” Frost hushed with a smile as the patient in question grinned as if to stifle a laugh. “Hold on tight. Ignis is just going to put something inside of you. Do you want me to explain, or do you want to have a go? Actually, go for it Ignis. You’re the one she’s entrusting the procedure on.”

“Mmn.” Her cat ears flapped as if to nod in her stead. “I’m doing an internal check. Since we know it’s affecting her heart and breathing, that means we can first investigate her cardiovascular system. It won’t hurt as much as opening your chest with a hammer and chisel Miss Black Wing. It’s useless with this.” An extremely thin bundle of tentacles waved in front of the woman’s eyes. They were so thin that they were almost transparent. “Full body-scopy. My tentacles are going to go inside your blood vessels to find the problem. You won’t feel a thing.”

“S-Sounds wonderful…” The Black Wing had a good sense of humor, smiling through the uneasiness of having those inside of her.

[Weaponized System] was hardly a weapon at all, and the System she manifested was the Nervous System.

15