85. Farewell, the City of Diamonds
4.6k 47 161
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a brief exchange made as they shared celebratory drinks. The alcoholic beverages were served in tall glasses, foaming at the top like champagne. The Fairies zoomed by alongside a brigade of food and beverage servers.

Ignis, the Innocent and the cat-girl were given juice instead given their age. Though if they knew that Frost was actually 0 years old, they’d probably give her the same treatment. Interestingly, alcohol had zero effect on herself and most others due to their RESIST stat, prompting Cer to make a one liner on passing.

“We get drunk on the bloodlust of this world. That’s how we forget it all, not with this swallowed bliss.”

Strangely, the triplets and Beholder Carpalis never shared a single word. Aside from Res who eloquently paid her respects on their behalf. It was likely due to Cer having cheated the Casino, which was currently being investigated by the Fox-woman alongside the Diamond Suit and Spade Suit.

“Into the treasury?” The Diamond Suit asked, carrying a large briefcase containing stacks of various coins.

“Treasury… yeah. Leave them there.” Carpalis spoke with her perpetually tired voice, yet it seemed to carry an unknown authority that instantly caused the two Fairies to promptly dismiss themselves. “… I didn’t’ even get to say thanks for your help. Oh well… thank you fox lady… that tail looks so fluffy… hehe.”

“A-Ah! Thank you, ma’am!” She deeply bowed, flattered to hear this Beholder thank her.

Although they did not know that Carpalis was in fact one of the deities of the Nexus yet. They believed it was a good idea to keep it that way for the time being.

Emotional outbursts then flooded this giant, empty lobby that they all had to themselves as they played various casino games together in preparation for their inevitable parting.

Every fleeting moment was captured by Snap, who patrolled the area with far more AGI than even Carpalis could perceive. The happiness they shared in this strange place of gold assured Frost that leaving them here with Carpalis and Magus would be the wisest choice.

Well, anything was better than leaving them with the Scarlet Logic. But to have the Archetype of Hope present relieved much of her worries. She had grown attached to these women, and it was a shame that they had insisted to remain nameless.

But they assured her that the next time she returned – they’d all have names and would be twice as vibrant. Frost remained close to Jury, clutching at her hand as she tried to hold back her tears when it was finally time to leave.

There was a symphony of clinks as their raised their drinks up high. Frost, Jury, Ignis, Snap and the wolf-triplets joined her near the entrance. The others, including the Innocent who Frost ordered to remain behind, began to shed tears.

“FROOOOOOST! I LOVE YOU! IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE JURY THEN I WOULD’VE WANTED YOOOOU!” Howled the wolf-woman as tears tumbled down her cheeks. “Thank you! Thank you for helping us when no one else did!”

“FROST! THANK YOU FOR GIVING US THE COURAGE TO MOVE ON!” The cat-woman exclaimed, waving both her arms wildly as Frost’s eyes began to sting. “Thank you… for being there. It might not have been much for you, but it meant the world to us.”

“YEEEEAAAH! Our dreams have come true thanks to you! I always wanted to be an entertainer!” The bunny-woman hopped as she shouted this, right before she entered a somber state. “… and thank you Frost. For treating us like people.”

“Mhm. Like people. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart Frost. Thank you.” The fox-woman then thanked, clutching at her heart as tears formed in the corner of Frost’s eyes.

“YES! EVEN AN INSECTID LIKE ME CAN FIND A PLACE TO CALL HOME!” The bee-woman shouted ecstatically. “THANK YOU FROST!”

And finally, it was the cat-girl’s turn. The girl walked right up to Frost with an unbreakable gaze, a contrast to her usual timid self. She then clutched onto her hand with a pair of unshakable ones and uttered:

“Thank you… I’m happy that I’m alive… I’m happy that I’m here…”

“Yeah… be proud that you’ve made it this far. Don’t let anyone push you around. Your boss over there will make sure you live a good life.” Frost assured, clasping her other hand between the girl’s as she desperately held back her own tears.

“Mm! I will… I really will. And also –!” The girl then moved to Jury and hugged her waist, right before they all unanimously cried out at the top of their lungs: “– THANK YOU JURY!”

“I didn’t do much at all… but thank you.” Jury was glad that they also remembered her.

Frost then gave her departing speech with a heavy heart.

“This is our goodbye, huh. Everyone. It was a pleasure travelling with you. I’ve learned many things along the way through you all. I sincerely hope you can continue to smile here even in my absence. Find yourselves and be happy. No one’s going to hurt you here.”

Magus and Carpalis both nodded firmly in response.

“And Frost. You will find that the dungeon in question is a giant circus. It is hard to miss… and you’ve likely seen it on the way here. One of my Exalted will be there… I’ve informed them of your arrival. Hehe. Fly, oh Black Dove.” Carpalis offered her own brief words of farewell.

“Fly indeed! Spread those magnificent wings and Awaken our floors, my Amalgam friend! I shall patiently wait for your next visit! Maybe then I can reveal to you my two cards!” Magus twirled his diamond cane with amazing dexterity.

“Yeah. I’m off. Let’s meet again!” Frost waved, turning around right as she finally shed a single tear. Ignis, Jury and Snap all waved alongside the triplets before they followed suit.

However, just as they all took a single step towards the exit –

– Cer approached the cat-girl.

She didn’t say a word and intercepted the girl by merely standing before her with a menacing gaze. And then, Cer unexpectedly began to dust off the girl’s apparel. Straighten her bowtie, fix the frills and the crooked headband.

It shocked the girl to say the least.

“You survived Serum S. It can only go up from here. Have some confidence. Take a spoonful of cement. I don’t care. Just be strong. Live like you don’t give a fuck, because nothing can hold you down anymore. You’re gonna be a Moon, just like us.”

Cer softly spoke to her whilst fixing the girl’s hair, and with one final pat, she broke into a sisterly smile. Then, she reverted to the obnoxious, disrespectful wolf everyone knew and loved.

“Oi. Creepy Beholder! Don’t let the Scarlet Logic take this one. She’s a Serum S survivor. They’ll want her to become one of their Blood Moons. Her blood’s potent with Inflow Direct’s technology. There’s no telling what kind of unique abilities she’s going to get.”

“Like your Galvanizing Blood?” Carpalis rocked left and right, holding a finger close to the tattoos beneath her eyes.

“… something like that. Just don’t let them touch her, or it won’t just be Frost who’ll give them hell.” Cer powerfully vowed before she tapped the girl’s head and moved on. “See you later, little cat. Take care of yourself.”

“I-I will! Thank you!”

And with one final cry –

“GOODBYE!”

Frost did have a hunch that their farewell would be grander than Hellen's, and they did not disappoint.

Cer silently joined them again as they gave their last farewells and finally left through the golden archways of Carpal Tower, breathing in the air of a new day, and marking the beginning of a new chapter in their lives.

And their next stop?

A circus of all things.

161