381. Justica Arms
603 9 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The severe discrimination shown towards the non-Blessed Enoch caused Frost to wonder if this was another factor that played into their gross neglect of life.

Blessed tend to find themselves in favorable positions within the Ateliers. The problem is, they probably view the regular Moons in a similar lens. Cer also despised anyone that wasn’t Blessed.

“Classism…”

Yeah. That kind of thing unfortunately exists here. And I thought it was only Cer with how her kind was treated. The thing is, it’s not a Nexus-only problem. When you have things like Soul Ranks, then those at the top are eventually going to consider those beneath them as inferior. Not that I can relate. But this world’s morals are the equivalent of Earth’s medieval past.”

Frost quietly complained as Galia basked in the moment, pleased to have so many eyes scrutinizing her.

Man… This gets worse by the second. Galia’s up next. I wonder if she’ll bring up anything she hasn’t told me yet.

“That reminds me, you have not learned much of her life from Earth. The time periods are too different to gain anything significant, but it must feel relieving to have someone like you here.”

It is. Galia has similar alignments with my own. Namely, she’s a firm believer of justice. What’s right in this world is completely fucked up. I’m just not sure where the Wandering Healer part comes into play. 19th Century… 1835. I almost can’t believe it. She’d be… what? More than 200 years old? Or less?” Frost couldn’t remember the exact date she had left Earth, but she vaguely knew that it was somewhere near 2030.

Frost wanted to wince. It was always difficult trying to wrap her mind around the fact that these ancient beings were so youthful. No… Youthful would imply innocence. Rather, they were perpetually in their biological prime, aside from those that had sustained injuries like Beholder E.

Galia still hadn’t spoken. Her eyes remained lidded, yet her gaze could be felt in the form of a sharp, cold prick on her nape. Like the serpent the triplets had endlessly declared her as, she weaponized the silence, constricting it around the throats of all. Knalzark displayed impatience, his fist bending the light twice as fearsomely.

“We think the same, you and I, O Amalgam.” Galia’s voice was utterly tantalizing, her mouth forming an all-knowing, humble smile as she addressed Frost directly. “The Blessed and the Non-Blessed. The Souls of inequality. There is substance behind the argument. But to condemn them for the sake of what one can, rather than thinking of whether one should, is a deplorable showcase of justice, and our lacking reach of judgement.”

Her presence was unmatched. The Stars above revered her and only her in a similar fashion as they did whenever the Archetypes spoke. Moons hesitantly withdrew the red in their vision, willing to hear Galia speak without the newfound blades of prejudices they had acquired.

Galia’s grasp was far larger than Frost could have imagined.

Were these Moons people she also saved like the triplets? Nav?

“It may be due to her moral standing. I may be deaf to the suffering, but even I can tell that she’s been operating her Atelier differently from the others. Frost. Are you forgetting your interactions with their personnel? The Peace Flocks that were sent out to protect that small town? The humanitarian mission of the 6th Branch?”

I haven’t. I’m just curious. The Stars I can get why, but the Moons? I doubt the Moons would be inclined to follow someone because of good morals alone.

Frost’s question would soon be answered as Galia finally introduced herself.

“Beholder Galia, of Justica Arms and all 11 remaining Branches, and their respective Apostles. The foundation of my Atelier is based on the principle of justice and judgement. Their intermingling is encapsulated by our motto – Justice must never stray behind Judgement. Its meaning is as obvious as the number of days in a year. Justice must be swift. It must be flexible. It must become the bullet of all efforts to secure a greater tomorrow. To drag behind means to sew injustice. This world has taught me well of how languid justice truly was before my ascension.”

Not only did she introduce herself, but she bragged and recited her words like they were holy scripture, much to the irritation of Knalzark. Her words were enchanted by her natural venom, as even Frost found herself entranced as she keenly listened.

“Unfortunately, it still continues. My 2nd Branch was so close to cleansing Scarlet Logic. That was until my trusted 2nd Apostle abruptly retreated. Several Beholders did not enjoy us breaking Atelier Law and Treaties. The Subderma Layer was severely damaged in that area too. But had my 2nd Branch prevailed, then we could have avoided this disaster altogether.”

“Which Ateliers ordered you to stop?” Frost demanded.

“Caldera Industries to no one’s surprise. The assault had damaged a section of the Root-Pillar Complex. CogitO because of a certain Star’s rampant abuse of their Repenters, which led to several significant reforms regarding their loaned personnel. ImpulseWorks due to the instability of the landscape. After all, the Nex Megalopolis exists on a thin slice of earth.”

Galia confessed, adding:

“As you can see, their resoning is sound. I was not the one who ordered the attack. If I could regain contact with my 2nd Apostle, then I am certain we can learn of the truth. I was elsewhere at the time. But if you must know – I was visiting the 10th Branch in Gnawer to investigate the disappearance of Monarch eggs from the Queen of Rock. I believe that describes our Atelier the best. We are the kind that will offer our aid unconditionally, so long as it is permissible.”

Her words contradicted the assault on the City of Spades, but if they were aware of it then why didn’t anyone at least attempt to investigate? Why was the Arbiter unable to dismiss their actions and allow them to spear the brewing heart of Scarlet Logic – the Heart of the City?

The Arbiter then answered for Galia:

“I have only just received my eyes. This is the first time I am seeing the Beholders. My judgement used to solely rely on actions inflicted against me, but now I have gained inquisitive powers. Amalgam. There is nothing I can touch beyond the Nexus without inviting Corruption. As you are aware, I was no better than a bystander for the last 15 years. My greatest accomplishment was my Risk Classification System, and this Council. As such, this has led to events outside of my jurisdiction.”

I had to begrudgingly break Scarlet Logic’s base because of your negligence. I don’t believe a word. Not yours, Arbiter. But the Beholders. Don’t you dare tell me that the only reason you didn’t investigate was because of your ‘treaties’.” Frost dominated the room, exerting immense pressure as she threatened to enter the Third State.

Eyes lowered. None wished to speak aside from Galia who uttered:

“They were absolute. Can you begin to fathom how many of our personnel are at a knife’s drop away from assassinating the members of another Atelier? We have a long history. These Laws and Treaties guaranteed security, or else what we’ve all built were to come crumbling down.”

“You might not want to hear the extent of this fucked up game on the next rounds.” Satania smirked, twirling her hair. “But you’re the Amalgam. With communications lost, I know your great mind already knows the implications moving forward for distant Atelier Branches. Galia. You didn’t mention your wears and your involvement with the Adventurers and their Associations.”

She spoke on Galia’s behalf, wanting to speed things up. This had gone long enough, but not enough for Frost who understood the chaos that would ensue in distant lands.

Iscario had hit them far harder than she realized.

She couldn’t help but wonder if this was all just one component in the Fate Mechanism’s ‘Tenth Act’. The issue was that not even Act X knew what it was, and the orders did not solely come from her as there were other Living Looms who weaved the strings of the Fate Mechanism.

“I ultimately gained something from this. But those that perished can never come back.” Frost lamented.

Her hopes rested on Jury’s Atelier, which promised to prevent such an event from ever occurring again. While the Impuritas had strengthened and unified, Frost had learned that the Ateliers were as fractured as ever.

The Arbiter’s strive for unity became imperative.

34