404. Beholders and Their Advice to The Triplets
533 4 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ending felt anticlimactic. Frost for some reason expected it to be much more explosive. To end with applause and a triumphant cheer. The reality was the immediate departure of the Beholders who held their tongues as they departed in the same order of their arrival.

None looked back, and neither did the Moons or Stars linger for long. Frost had briefly mentioned that she would later meet with the Moons at the doorstep of the Floor of Amalgamation, and that was it.

The silence proved that even with the resolutions in place they were all still so distant. The dissonance was infuriating, but she would be lying if she said that she wasn’t glad that it was over.

The triplets stood by the main entrance, staring at each passing Beholder with an inquisitive flame in their eyes. Cer stood with folded arms smugly, assuming a defiant posture that jabbed at them.

Unfortunately for her, razor-sharp stares ricocheted off their backs. No matter the position they were in, it was clear that the Beholders cared little for these ‘Jesters’. That still didn’t stop Cer from uttering something underneath her breath.

“No Moon owes a Beholder anymore. Wait until your personal Moons catch wind of this.”

“For Moons that bit the hands that offered an opportunity you know that our Moons owe us their lives. You are only there because of luck.” Beholder Descartes dismissed them. “I still believe Blue Moons would have suited you.”

She directly addressed Cer and Res, ignoring Ber entirely. Ber didn’t care enough to react. She did not require the validation from a Beholder any longer. Even so, her claws dug into her suit as if contemplating whether to clobber this Beholder from behind.

“I know that role suited your brother. The psychology of that fallen Star never made sense to me. Neither did you three. It must run in the family. As does Serum S.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ber barked.

“I’m just relaying our observations. How much more will he fall?” Descartes couldn’t care less of their conversation as she travelled out of the Council, striding past the pale halls until her figure blurred with the scenery.

“… Raoul…” Cer bared her fangs. She was immediately comforted by Ber and Res, whose tails coiled around hers.

“He has to say something. There’s no way he won’t. We’re at the top now.” Ber assured with a whisper.

“Raoul wasn’t here because he’s not a Star anymore. Cer…” Res watched as Cer looked up to the emptying stands, her ears drooping sadly.

“… me and my sliver of hope. Tch. Dammit…”

“Wouldn’t it be easier to give in?” Beholder Umbra chuckled as she passed by, her gaze transfixed onto the back of Descartes. “It will rot you away. I do wonder why a Moon must gaze up when they are already at the top.”

“You don’t know anything about us. So shut up. Fuck off.” Cer snapped with a low, guttural growl, her jaw coursing with electricity. “Of course it’s a Beholder that runs their mouth.”

“My piece is always being pushed aside. Seals are what keeps us suppressed. Chains are what ties us to the past. Let it be a lesson to learn. Raoul is here in the Nexus.”

“In the Common Hub?” Res asked.

“Residential Floor. Cutting the bulbs of pink camellias. It’s about to be that time of the year, isn’t it?”

“… That’s none of your concern.” Ber took a moment to understand the weight of those words before she calmly settled down. “… Tell someone else your fake condolences. I bet it’s sad that you Demons don’t get the freedom to do what we can.”

“It is.” Umbra abruptly froze in place as she lost herself into the endless hall ahead. “The Arbiter put it nicely. We are slaves to chains. They are what defines us…” Suddenly, and for the first time, Umbra acknowledged Ber with a cryptic stare. “… are the chains better off being broken or kept to be adorned? I have not yet come to an answer. By the way, ahaha… The suit does not suit you.”

Umbra oddly complemented Ber in a backhanded manner, leaving the wolf-woman stunned.

“Shackles should not be re-worn.” Were Umbra’s parting words to the triplets.

“… I thought I’ve already seen everything.” Ber didn’t know how to feel. A part of her was pleasantly surprised, but another felt like Umbra was trying to wriggle onto their good side.

“It’s not that deep. Umbra’s just as much of a snake as Galia is.” Cer assured, right as Galia passed by. “Speaking of the snake…”

“Did you have something to say?” Galia hummed. “I’m in a hurry. A warm brew of coffee awaits my parched lips.”

“I hate it when you don’t talk normally. Just say you’re thirsty.” Ber shrugged.

“… Listen. Being the Amalgam’s Eye, Claw and Fang doesn’t excuse us from unprofessional conduct.” Res hissed. “But if it’s Galia, then fire away.”

“Oh? You’re on the offensive now. Impressive.” Galia chuckled. “You never would have dared to speak against me.”

“Times have changed, hag. We’re not here anymore.” Cer measured the air near her ankle with a hand, before throwing it over her head. “We’re here now. That practically puts us right next to you.”

“Yeah. We’re in Beholder territory.” Ber feverously nodded as she placed both hands onto her hips proudly.

“Heh. Didn’t think a Moon couldn’t get any higher, did you?”

“Yes, yes. You’ve accomplished much over the course of your mission’s lifespan. More than I was hoping you would achieve.” Galia uncharacteristically complemented. “… I am pleased that you still remember hope. Your reflection tells me this. It seems that I chose the right Moons to embark on my mission.”

“Was this all intentional? You didn’t just send us there because you knew we were the only ones up for the job, right?” Cer grinned.

“Of course not. We were sent because it was whatever the Fate Mechanism told them to do.” Res was the voice of reason.

“So it was. It’s resulted in a scenario I could not begin to imagine…” Galia’s lips parted as she was about to elaborate, but she sealed them by bringing a finger to her lips. “… It’s been a long journey, hmm.”

“Long enough where it’s hard to remember what you did for us. And what you’ve done to turn us into Moons.” Ber folded her arms, unable to decide whether to spite Galia or to thank her.

She was, after all, the one who poisoned them with Serum G.

“A Jester no longer, but you still bring a smile to my face. The Three Heads of Security. How much further can you reach in a world where Stars can no longer form. I’m afraid I can’t speak for long. I have a garden to tend to.” Galia pardoned herself from them, never waving or glancing back in goodbye.

However, she paused unexpectedly and said:

“… I won’t be there in your garden of grief. But I have personally arranged the flowers this year again. I hope you will enjoy the new additions of the camellias. Enjoy your reunion. You have earned it.”

“So you can say good things too.” Cer’s words came across as a joke, but she couldn’t thank Galia in any other way.

“… Yeah.” Ber whispered.

“Thank you. As always. My sisters mean the best.” Res called with moist eyes.

Galia then raised a hand to wave goodbye.

“Idiots…” Res sighed afterwards.

Frost had overheard their conversation. She assumed that their ‘reunion’ was with Raoul and thought nothing of it. Rather, she was happy that they’d finally be meeting again and hopefully could sort the bad blood between them. They were family after all, and it pained Frost whenever the triplets mentioned Raoul’s neglect.

I also want to figure out what’s wrong with Raoul. He’s the only one I know that fell from being a Star aside from Iscario. Things are shaping up, huh? We have a lot to do. Too much to do, actually.

“But this is exactly what we signed up for.”

Yeah. Now onto the practical part. Nav. Where are you now?

“The Eternal Library. We have not strayed too far to lose track of the main path.”

Meet us back in the Floor of Amalgamation. We have a lot to go over.

30