Chapter 21: What do you mean, you won’t take the coin?
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: What do you mean, you won't take the coin?

They were before the temple of the divines in Mante. Sebastian crossed the gilded doors, and only Fen was left outside. He was a demon, and it would have pained him to enter.

Eleric went to leave an offering to the bow of the Heavenly Archer. Karakon went to leave a piece of his treasure to the First Dragon. Anmu didn't go to any of the statues, although he noticed that Yurek was looking around.

"Where is Gog the Mighty?" The goblin child asked. He had a small silk cloth in his hands. Clearly meant as an offering.

"The goblin God? I am sorry Yurek. But I doubt that they have his statue in here," Anmu told him. "But you can go and leave your offering to the First Dragon with Karakon. I mean, they are friends, are they not? I am certain that the dragon God will pass on any message you have for Gog."

Yurek nodded, and let Anmu lead him to Karakon. Alistair was skulking around the blood chalice. Sebastian was sure that, if even the vampire God was welcomed in the temple, then so would the One-armed Smith find his home here.

He walked to the priest who preceded over all the statues, and handed him the coin.

"An omen happened recently. I do believe the One-armed Smith should be represented in here," the priest turned the coin in his hand, and handed it back.

"There are trials before a God is accepted in here. The heart of the worshipers must be truly devout," the priest said. His eyes found Yurek's form, who was kneeling next to the statue of the First Dragon. "Strange, a goblin praying to a dragon."

"Well, you don't have Gog's statue in here," Alistair spoke, having left the chalice, after adding some of his blood to the mix.

"Goblins are rarely true believers," the priest told him. "But this one seems different. If you would excuse me."

The priest left them standing before the altar of the Father, and went to Yurek. He tapped the goblin on the shoulder, and smiled down at him.

"Would you like to add Gog's statue to our pantheon?" The priest asked. Yurek's eyes widened.

"You would give me the honor?" The goblin asked.

"All I ask is, that you make him something to be worshiped by the end of the week. If I find that your keepsake is made from the heart, I will add it," the priest assured the goblin child.

"I will do my best," Yurek spoke. He clasped his hands as thanks towards the statue of the First Dragon. "Thank you for listening to me."

With that, the goblin rushed out of the temple. Sebastian went to the priest.

"If I do something from the heart as well, will you please accept this coin?" The merchant asked. He was ready to do just about anything. As long as his God was worshiped.

"As long as it is from the heart, and follows the teachings of the One-armed Smith," the priest agreed. Sebastian gulped.

"The teachings of the smith are equal parts misfortune and fortune," he murmured. The priest glared at him.

"If you don't believe in him, don't waste our time! Now, begone," and with that, the priest turned around, and stormed off.

Sebastian stared at the statue of the First Dragon, and thought long and hard. What could be equal parts fortune and misfortune? With what could he help those around him in such a way that he would suffer, but the Smith would be happy? That he would be happy?

"You will figure it out. I mean, you traveled with a cursed coin to Bellete," Karakon laid a hand on top of Sebastian's shoulder, and brought him closer. "First Dragon, this is one of my mates. The one who left you this silk was one of my children."

Karakon then bowed low to the statue, and hooked an arm around Sebastian and led him out.

"You just introduced me to the First Dragon. Why?" The merchant asked. Karakon had not introduced the rest. Just him and Yurek.

"Because, you need to have a resolve made of dragon scales," Karakon told him. "The One-armed Smith likes permanent solutions, no matter their cost. Mante is a big city. You will surely find people to help around here."

"People to help? The One-armed Smith doesn't do charity," Sebastian protested. "But if I help them help themselves."

"It will cost you more than simply feeding the needy for a day, true," Karakon agreed. "But you will find that it will bring you to your goal, if you help them permanently."

They met up with Fen, who was speaking with Yurek.

"No, son. I don't believe Gog the Mighty will appreciate something as fancy as silk. No matter how good the stitching is," Fen told the eager child. "How about you try hunting instead?"

"But, father, I am weak," Yurek protested.

"I can help you bring down any game," Eleric spoke, his eyes softening at the idea that he could spend more time with his adoptive son. Just the two of them, doing what Eleric loved above all else. Hunting.

"And you can preserve it. Doze it in potions, get the insides out, and stitch it back together. Isn't Gog a mighty hunter, son?" Fen asked.

"He is a hunter that never hunts alone," Alistair added. "I am coming with you two."

"Did the priest took the coin, morsel?" Fen asked, when he noticed Sebastian and Karakon.

"No, he wants to put me to the test," the merchant spoke.

"Hm, I have just the thing that you can do to impress him, but it won't be easy. Did you know I can make a healing pond at a whim?" Fen asked. Sebastian shook his head. "Well, I can. Although there is a price for it."

Misfortune and fortune, all wrapped up in one. Sebastian listened to the price, and decided that he would pay it. The omen demanded he sacrificed his pride. He just hoped that he could gather enough condensed mana from the people of Mante, so he could make the pond in time. 

2