Chapter 39 “Failure”
1.3k 3 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With all the debris, damaged walls, and several other objects spread across the floor, walking through Site-199's hallway now felt strange. The site has suffered severe damage from them.

The staff can be seen organizing their workspaces, researchers collecting their materials and equipment to be stored elsewhere, and guards assisting the on-site janitor.

While some of the SCP containment cells in the Safe and Euclid class area were destroyed, the Insurgency destroyed a number of offices, laboratories, and D-Class dormitories.

Since the Chaos Insurgency primarily targeted the Keter containment area and assisted a D-Class personnel escape from his cell based on the evidence they uncovered, it was easier to handle.

Given that 20% of the entire site was recently destroyed and numerous security guards were killed in the process, the Foundation will need some time to straighten out the issue and resume operations as usual.

William noticed several of the patched-up and injured staff members working to clear the mess; it appeared that they were restless and wanted to help as much as they could, given their circumstances.

It was a good thing that this site is still holding up despite it being an underground facility. It would've been more troublesome if the whole structure was shambled to the ground.

Both of them arrived at the Euclid containment area, where William's containment room was located. It seemed that there weren't many things happening in this area. Only a few rooms were destroyed.

Gary took out his ID card and swiped it on the door lock. It seemed that the door to his cell was working again, and the Foundation had fixed the problem. 

"Take some rest. You deserved it. A lot of things happened today, and you did great back there. I'll see you around next time" said Gary from outside the cell.

William looked at him for a moment and nodded. He then used his own ID card to close the door of his cell and looked at his surroundings.

It was quiet, with white padded walls all around him. While the whole incident was finally over, William had a hunch that this was just the beginning of something bigger that was about to come.

He was still tired from all of the things that were happening, running from monsters, encountering an SCP, fighting an enemy only to end with a defeat, and was spared by the opposing force.

The Foundation may have deemed that William had finally fulfilled the task given by the Site Director, but in reality, William had failed to carry out that task. 

If he was strong, he might have been able to defeat Keith. But he was right, and he lacked any ability to fight against the enemy even though he had an anomalous ability as an advantage. 

Because of his weakness and incompetence, he let someone that he knew die in his arms. 

He needed to get stronger so that he could not only protect his close friends in the Foundation but also save everyone. He sets his mind that he will do better from now on.

With that being said, he walked up to his bed and started to lay on it. Ending the day by resting both his mind and body.

—-

A few days later.

William was spending the rest of the few days inside his room, and he didn't do much about what had happened. He didn't even go out of his cell and wander around the site, only eating and sleeping in his cell.

Dr. Erik even tried to have a conversation with him through the speaker that was in his room like they used to, but there was no response from William's side. It seemed that he didn't want to be bothered at all.

There was a knock from his door cell. William opened his eyes as he heard it for the first time. Without thinking anything, he just goes back to his bed and ignores it.

The knock kept on going for several minutes. Seemingly a bit disturbed, William said, "Go away. I'm currently in no mood to do anything."

Just as he said that, the door opened, and Dr. Erik could be seen walking inside his room. William was unfazed by his appearance and just closed his eyes, ignoring his presence.

Dr. Erik looked at William, that was curled up on his bed, and said, "How are you feeling today, Alpha One?"

"Tired." said William coldly.

Dr. Erik then shook his head and continued, "Captain Grace is doing well in her condition. She has woken up from her sleep. Though, she may need a bit of time to take care of herself due to the trauma on her head."

There was no response from William regarding the news. He seemed uninterested in it but deep down that he was glad Grace was fine all along and needed a moment for herself.

"There was something I wanted to tell you, which is the reason I came here to say it to you directly. It's about Officer Owen." said Dr. Erik.

With this, William's eyes opened again and seemed to be listening to what Dr. Erik had to say.

"As per the Foundation's usual procedure, every personnel that had worked for the Foundation must be informed that they were working for a national duty to their families. This was done to prevent any family members that were suspicious about Foundation's job."

Dr. Erik then continued, "We have informed Owen's family of the unfortunate news regarding his state, telling them that he died while carrying out the duty of protecting the country. The family asked us personally that they would like to have a funeral for him today, and we gladly accepted it as their final wish."

William leaned and sat on the back, fully listening and paying attention to the news, "We knew that you were a close colleague to Officer Owen, and I'm here to inform you that you might want to attend his funeral later. Of course, within our supervision to keep an eye on you."

He fell into deep thought. Dr. Erik could see him thinking about something that he has a hard time about it. Dr. Erik understood this, coming to your friend's funeral is not something easy to do.

Dr. Erik then asked, "So, what do you say?"

William looked at Dr. Erik, stood up from his bed, and stared at him directly, "Alright then, I'll go. It's the only thing I could do to say my last goodbye to him."

Hearing this answer, Dr. Erik smiled. He had finally got his attention, "That's good to hear. Both of us should be prepared and get dressed, and I'll take care of that personally to get yourself ready for the funeral."

36