Chapter 65 “Lesser of Two Evils”
424 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A short, white-haired female wearing a black dress was there with two other people, both of whom were wearing formal clothes. They've reached the front of the building where the auction will take place, and all they have to do is get past the security.

"It seemed pretty well guarded here. Who would've thought they would have this kind of manpower just for an auction?" said the long-haired woman.

"I wouldn't be surprised since every influential person in this city was here. Of course, they would be scared for their safety." said the white-haired female as she put bubblegum in her mouth.

The tall man asked, "What are we gonna do, Skye? Should we go to the back and sneak to get into the building?"

Skye hummed for a moment as she looked at the several guards stationed at the front door, checking every guard before they proceeded further. 

"Just walk to the front door. I'll handle it later." Skye replied.

The three of them entered the building through the main entrance and stood in line to be inspected and checked with other visitors. The guard has called them, and it is now their turn to be searched before entering the building.

All of them were searched from top to bottom. One of the guards walked up to Skye as she was being searched. 

"Have you brought the ID card that was given to you by the committee days before the auction?" He asked.

Skye waved her hand in front of that guard's face. His eyes relaxed, and the pupils dilated. His whole body was stopped for a moment. Skye smiled as she looked into the guard's eyes.

"We were called by our client, who was the governor of New York himself, to be present. As he would need more guards to ensure his safety." explained Skye to the guard.

In an instant, the guard replied in a flat tone, "My bad, madam. Please proceed to the building. Enjoy your night."

Seeing that everything had been taken care of by her and they wouldn't need a permission or an invitation sent from the committee. They walked into the building together and started to search for the spear. 

"It was pretty satisfying to see what you can do, versatile in terms of what you could do with it in some situations. Don't you think, Vale?" said the tall man as he looked at his colleague.

"Gale, I know that you're going to use it for malicious or perverted stuff. Hence I'm kind of grateful that you don't have that kind of talent." replied Vale.

Gale laughed for a moment, "Oh, come on. It's not like that. I mean like you could literally use it to your own advantage dealing with people that are simply just gonna be in your way."

Skye's bubblegum popped, "It's not easy, and I could only do it to some people. Let's just find this spear that Gray and Keith kept talking about. I'm eager to find out about it." 

"So, we're just gonna steal it from them?" Gale asked.

Skye replied, "Of course, unless you have a fuckton of money like those people. Be my guest." 

"Fair point. I wouldn't even spend any cent for those people." said Gale as he looked at the guests in the auction.

"Do you even need to ask?" Vale looked at Gale directly, "We're bandits. Of course we're gonna steal it from them."

An ancient weapon? 

William thought about it and was puzzled about her response. Why would she go to the auction just for an ancient weapon? There is a possibility that the Marshal, Carter, and Dark would sell because it was an antique item.

Thinking about it wouldn't really help at all, so he asked her, "What about that weapon? Does it possess the power of mass destruction? Or do you want to use them for your own benefit once you have it?"

Elena could only sigh hearing his response, "My purpose to obtain that item is beyond your understanding." 

William laughed for a moment, "I have no means to interfere with you getting that object since it would be hell fighting against you, knowing what you can do."

He leaned on the seat, "Does it really that significant to you? Going to an auction like this that may or may not encounter an enemy later just to get an old weapon? What if the same organization were after that weapon?" 

"Unless they have any knowledge of its history, I would doubt that anyone is aware of it. Only a select number of them would be aware of its presence in this world." replied Elena.

William pondered, "And how do you know about this weapon then? Since you seem to know about it so much."

"I have my own source." 

William laughed once again, "I figured that you'd answer that."

A number of staff members brought various boxes and other containers to the backstage as the lights began to change. It was protected by many security personnel who made sure that nobody would steal it.

The white screen display started to show the Marshal, Carter, and Dark logo. The auction was about to start in a moment, and the same man with the mustache walked onto the stage.

"Welcome to the bi-annual auction by Marshal, Carter, and Dark. My name is Dyke, and I will be your host for this evening. I hope you have a wonderful night as we are about to start the main event of this night." said Dyke as he bowed to the audience.

He then continued, "You may be aware that we will conduct the auction in the same manner as before. If you want to place a bid on the item being auctioned, you can find your auction paddle, which has a number on it, next to your seat, and lift it."

Dyke then started to continue explaining the rules and procedure for the auction later, William carefully noting every detail that he would copy later and got what he needed. It was enough for him as he only needed to change his face. 

William continued to ask some questions, "If you think that item would be dangerous to fall into someone that has a bad intention, why don't you report it to the Foundation and let them keep it safely?" 

Elena's eyes kept on the stage as they were about to present the first item to be auctioned. She had already prepared her auction paddles if it was the item that she was looking for.

"I don't know what's gotten to your mind but, certainly that would be the wisest choice to contain the weapon safely. It would only increase the risk if it's in the hands of the Foundation." replied Elena coldly.

William continued, "I mean like, think of it with a lesser of two evil logic. While Foundation in your eyes are bad, but at least it's not as bad as those other parties or groups that you said are going to use it for weapons of mass destruction."

"I would prefer to keep it to myself so that nobody would know about it rather than being kept by an organization that had many people in it. Minimizing the risk by not exposing its existence further."

Why not report the item to the Foundation and allow them to contain it safely if you believe it would be dangerous for it to get into the hands of someone who has bad intentions? William said in his mind.

He was running out of ideas on how he would extract any more information from her and let it slide from now on. He kept watching as the auction went one by one to keep an eye to see SCP-3934 in close distance.

At the seventh item being auctioned, a staff member started to walk into the stage with a long box in his hands and started to put it on the display podium. He opened the box, and an old rusty and antique spear could be seen.

Seeing that the spear was displayed on the stage and on the big white screen. William saw Elena's grip tighten on the auction paddle. She was ready to make a bid. 

8