Chapter 64 “We Meet Again”
404 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William focused his eyes on one of the guests that were in the crowd. He felt something was familiar with the appearance of that person. He had met that person from how she looked and dressed. 

It was the same person he met at the party for SCP-2331's containment before, someone who took care of SCP-1440 from the building before it collapsed. Someone that he thought to be a Serpent's Hand member. 

She appeared to be strolling in the building as she walked her way around the venue. Her participation in the auction adds to the mystery. Why is she in this place? And how did she enter the auction?

Nothing from her movement and interaction with the other guests seemed to be out of the ordinary, acting like one of the auctioneers for tonight's auction. One thing is for sure. She was here for a reason.

Stevenson looked at William, seeing his eyes were locked on the crowd rather than looking for a Marshal, Carter, and Dark's staff for him to shapeshift later. 

He asked William, "Are you okay? Did you find anything that caught your interest?"

With that, Wiliam was snapped out of his mind and returned to the mission. His mind wasn't focused at that time when he saw Elena was in the crowd.

"Yeah, I'm fine." muttered William, "I was looking at someone that might have a higher authority in this place since he was talking to one of the politicians. Turns out I'm wrong, and it was just security."

Seeing his response, Stevenson looked at him for a moment and continued, "Keep an eye out for everyone. Someone who was in charge of the auction must be somewhere. This place is filled with waitresses and other low-level staff." 

"Well, don't you think that would be appropriate for a place and event like this? Those people could be really upset if the service here was not up to their standards." said Iris as she scanned over the area. 

"Ehh, you might be right. Those kinds of people had always given me a headache. I once worked for one of those people as a bodyguard. They get pretty annoying sometimes." replied Stevenson.

They kept hunting for their target but were having no luck because all they kept finding were the waiters and security guards that the auction committee had recruited. That undoubtedly won't be sufficient to pass through security.

Just as they were about to give up for a moment, a person walked up to the auction's stage. The man with slick hair in a tuxedo and a mustache grabbed a microphone and started to tap it. 

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Apologize for the interruption of your meeting tonight. We wanted to inform you that the house is going to speed up its schedule for tonight's auction." said the man with the mustache in the middle of the auction stage. 

Hearing this, Stevenson told both of them, "Look, that should be enough for our target, right? I may have judged it from his appearance, but he does look different than any of the staff here."

Iris pondered for a moment, "I mean, I would've said the same thing. But it does sure like it."

As he was explaining the entire auction to the audience that was gathered in the building, William started to gaze at the man with the mustache—noting every detail for him to copy later.

The man with the mustache continued, "The auction will be held in about half an hour from now on. As there are some additional things to be announced at the end of the auction for all of the guests here."

"On behalf of Marshal, Carter, and Dark. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience and with that, please enjoy your evening." The man with the mustache then walked off the stage after announcing it.

Several guests at the venue made their way to the front of the auction stage, where they each started to take their seats and awaited the commencement of the auction. At the same time, a few of them appeared to be only there for the show and showed little interest in bidding at the auction.

Seeing this scene, William stood up from the table, "I haven't got a clear picture of that person, I need to get closer. I'll be in front of the stage to get a full look of that person, that way, I could shape into him flawlessly."

"If that's the case, then I'll join yo-" 

William stopped Stevenson and continued, "No need. I can do it without any problem. All you need to do is to keep an eye out for the venue with Iris, and once Grace's team arrives, proceed to rendezvous with them."

"It doesn't seem like a bad idea and would only catch everyone's attention if the three of us started to look for something there." replied Iris as she sipped some water from a glass.

"Exactly. I'll be there for a moment and will be right back at you once I get everything I need."

William walked away from the lounge, proceeding his way to the downstairs and leaving Iris with Stevenson on the lounge, watching him from above. They had nothing to do other than to wait until Grace's team arrived with their supplies. 

While getting additional information regarding that person is crucial to their mission, what got William curious was Elena's presence in the auction. He wanted to know and find out why she was here.

It was strange to see a member of the Serpent Hand in this place. Her motivation was unclear, and since she was alone, it would be difficult for her to steal and free the anomalous objects from this auction.

Either way, he wanted to find out about it.

William walked over to the main stage where all the auctions will take place, with podiums and a big screen prepared by Marshal, Carter, and Dark for the guests to see their items. 

He observed Elena take one of the seats close to the stage's front, knowing that the seat next to Elena was empty. William approached it and sat down next to her before anyone took the seat.

Elena was taken aback by his appearance because she hadn't anticipated seeing him here. She wasn't prepared for anyone from the Foundation would be here and find her.

"Don't do anything weird. Act calm." said William as he gazed at the stage, "Several people from the Foundation are watching us, and it would be unwise for both of us to act out of the ordinary."

When Elena heard this, she felt weird by William's presence and turned to face the stage. "So, you are here to catch me with the help from the Foundation people?"

"That's not what I meant. They don't know you, and it would be weird if someone like me happened to have a conversation with you. Plus, we're here because we have our own reasons." William replied nonchalantly.

Elena chuckled, "I wouldn't be surprised. You're after that exotic creature, right? It's common for people from the Foundation to contain their anomalies. It was obvious regarding what you are after knowing they had to put it again for the auction."

"That goes to you as well. What brings you here? If we are so obvious regarding what we are after, then what kind of things might interest a Serpent's Hand member?" asked William.

"Why should I tell you? I have no obligations regarding what I know and what I am after. Even if I tell you about it, you would probably tell your colleague at the Foundation about it and confiscate it." 

William looked at her for a moment and said, "After all that you've done aiding me to help with that old man? I'm not heartless, I'm just curious why you would be in this place knowing it's not a normal community gathering."

Elena did not reply to William despite this. She simply ignored him while keeping an eye on her watch. William could only sigh in response to this spectacle.

"I'm not going to tell the Foundation about it, just like what you did to SCP-1440. I'm after what only the Foundation is after. Adding it to my work in this situation would be just another hassle. I'll just be on my way then." William gave her a final shot since it seemed she wasn't giving him any chance.

Elena silenced for a moment and thought about it. Only then did she give him a short answer, "I'm looking for an ancient weapon, that should not be in the hands of the wrong people."

11