Chapter 2: New life
127 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: New life

"Ok, I'll need a chain," Tagas spoke, as he saw the cow trying to push with all of its might. He rummaged into a backpack he had created on a whim with some things when he had magicked his clothes. An ID, a debit card with an account he used to pay his martial tutors with, some keepsakes, he had summoned from Heaven.

The angel pretended to rummage in the bag, when he was actually summoning a sterile chain for birth assistance. He got the chain out with a smile, and then a pair of gloves.

"Are you a vet?" The old lady asked him, her eyes narrowed. Hidden behind her big glasses.

"A drop out. But your cow is safe with me," Tagas was no drop out. He had been one of the best, when it came to farming.

"If the cow dies, I will see you in court," the old lady told him, and she backed away from him.

"If the cow dies, I won't forgive myself," Tagas told her with a serious expression. He put on the gloves, and took the chain. Then, he got the chain in the cow, and then tied up the legs of the calf to the chain.

Putting some magic into the cow, he began to pull the calf out. After a whole of two minutes' worth of pulling, the animal was out. Covered in placenta and waste, yet breathing and looking around.

"Now, it needs to suckle," Tagas spoke. He took the chain, and backed away. Using magic to persuade the new mother to let her calf suckle, he watched as the little animal went on its legs, and latched onto its mother.

"Well, I'll be," the woman was amazed. She had witnessed many births before, but this must have been the most effortless one she had ever seen so far. "My name is Beth. You can have the guest room for as long as you look after the animals and help out in the field."

"Well, thank you, ma'am," Tagas gave her a winning smile, his dimples showing, his hazel eyes twinkling with satisfaction. The angel took off his gloves, and ran a hand over his blond hair.

"Mother, I came with the vet! Is Anne, ok?" They both turned around to see a broad-shouldered man and an older man make their way to them. "Who is that?"

"Arthur, this is...what is your name, boy?" Beth asked. In her haste to get the cow seen to, she had not asked the man his name.

"Tagas Higgs," Tagas offered his hand to her, and they shook hands.

"Well, Tagas, thank you again for the cow. Arthur, this boy will be living with us from now on. To look after the animals and help in the fields," Beth spoke, not allowing for any arguments.

"My name is Arthur, as my mother said," the farmer offered his hand to Tagas. The angel took it. He was just about to say something pleasant, when he felt a jolt run up his hand. His eyes widened. Could it be? Had he found his soulmate?

"Are you ok, Tagas?" Arthur asked. Tagas nodded energetically.

"It is just overwhelming, bringing new life and all," the angel said, and he looked to the vet. "I look forward to working with you on the harder cases, sir."

"Are you new around here, my boy? I haven't seen you around here?" The vet asked.

"I dropped off the veterinary academy and decided to travel. Then, I saw this house, and I felt something good come out of it. It is so orderly and pure," Tagas murmured. It was his true understanding of why he hadn't bypassed the house when he could have.

"Arthur takes care of the gardens. They are his pride and joy," Beth said, looking prideful. Tagas's eyes widened again.

"Mother, I am just continuing your work," Arthur said, looking bashful.

"Anyway, I do believe that we need to leave the cow and the calf to rest," the vet told them, and Arthur led them out of the barn. "I'll be going back to the clinic. If the calf decides to lay for too long, do call me."

Arthur nodded, and the vet went to his car. He got in and drove off.

"Tagas, what do you like to eat?" Arthur asked. "I can make you almost anything. As long as we have the vegetables in the garden, that is."

"I'll cook," Tagas spoke, making a couple of steps towards the house. "I need to earn my keep."

Besides, Tagas had to test if this man was indeed his soulmate. If he was, then a meal full of magic would reveal it better than a simple handshake.

"I'll help," Arthur insisted, smiling up at the angel. "You already did so much for Anne. I raised her since she was a calf, you know?"

Tagas's eyes softened at that, and he nodded.

"We will cook together, then," he agreed. "Lead the way, Arthur."

The farmer took the lead, and then went to a nearby vegetable patch.

"Do you like stew? I make a killer potato stew," Arthur offered, bending down over the potato nests and readying himself to take out enough for a meal of three.

"Stew is fine," Tagas said, as he took some bell peppers in his hands. They made the meal in a comfortable silence, and Tagas added magic to it sneakily. When they sat at the table, Arthur said grace, and then he took a spoonful of the stew and ate it.

Immediately, the farmer's eyes widened, and he stared at Tagas as if he were seeing him for the first time. Tagas smiled softly at him, and tilted his head.

Had he known when he got banished that he would find his soulmate, he would have been less snarky to his older brother. As things stood now, he had a kind man before him. His heart open for him.

"Arthur, I have something to tell you, but just you," Tagas winked at Beth, who chuckled.

"You little devil. Arthur, you be careful now," Beth spoke, and Arthur stood up and followed Tagas out.

Tagas didn't waste his words. Instead, he showed the mortal his wings, and captured his lips in a kiss.

7