Chapter 17 – To the Hunter’s guild!
3k 8 158
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Etruscan republic showed no hints of decay even in scriptures from as late as the year 5 BS, which makes its downfall and the subsequent millenia of dark ages even more tragic. Truly, the system was not gentle in it’s coming.

-Downfall of the Etruscan republic part 1

 


 

Eventually Fayette and Mireille managed to find an inn for themselves. It was in the grimier part of town, a slightly dilapidated place that could really use a thorough cleaning. To some that may have been a demerit, but Mireille had seen it as an opportunity, she was travelling with a [Maid] after all. There were benefits to that sort of thing.

With some snappy negotiation, the [Seamstress] managed to negotiate a nice room for a very affordable price, on the condition that Fayette would do some cleaning work at the inn—something she was all too eager to do anyways. Fayette generally did not trust the cleaning work of others as much as her own, so it was a calming thing being able to clean for herself.

They had arrived at the place at sunset, and it only took the [Maid] two hours of work to tidy up their room and the inn’s general facilities to passable standards. The [Innkeeper], a foxy looking lady, was rather pleased with Fayette’s work. Fayette decided to use that goodwill and ask for permission to use the kitchen.

She had had a bit of a talk with Mireille on the topic of spice thievery and personal property. Retribution was in order. Fayette was not one to shirk from a challenge, so she was determined to convince Mireille of the glory of spice. She worked hard to make the best dish she could. In fact, her cooking efforts were so serious she was interrupted by a notification after finishing her dish.

[Keep up the hard work with the cooking!]

[Progress towards next level: 45%]

Fayette was surprised by the notifications. With all that had happened recently, she had almost forgotten that experience could be gained through more... ordinary methods. She took the notifications as proof of her growing cooking prowess.

Her dish was a type of curry made using her own special spice mix—the dish had come in from the colonies, and rapidly gained popularity among the richer households. Fayette was happy at finally being able to cook some herself, and eagerly ate her own portion.

Mireille was less pleased with the dish, but she knew that she had wronged Fayette with the thievery, so she persevered. As night finally fell, the pair collapsed in their beds with full bellies, exhausted from the long day.

 


 

The next morning, the pair were having their breakfast in the inn’s common room. Fayette was looking through the newspaper that Mireille had bought the day before, while the [Seamstress] was sipping on some tea.

“So, what are your plans for the day?” Mireille asked after finishing her cup.

Fayette set the newspaper down and thought. She only really had one thing she wanted to do in the city, so she saw no point in dallying about.

“I think I’ll go to the hunter’s guild right away—no point waiting around.”

Mireille looked at her friend with some concern. “Are you sure this is going to work out? Will they take you seriously? A [Maid] trying to become a hunter can’t be a common thing.”

Fayette scoffed and brought out a pouch from her pocket. She opened it and revealed a gleaming array of shiny gems. “I got these monster cores off the kobolds—they should prove I’m not playing around. If I can hunt monsters like these, can they really deny me from being a hunter?”

“I don’t think they accept hunters based on the bounties they show off... Make sure to take your papers with you, alright? It’s not like in the stories, it’s a proper guild, a proper organisation. Guilds have rules and procedures, that they have to follow. You’re going to want to be prepared.”

“I have my class licence, and I don’t think there’s much else they could want. Hunters are hardly the type of folk who look into employment records, now are they? They wouldn’t be so known for accepting outcasts if it was so difficult.”

Mireille still did not look convinced. “Are you sure you’re going to be able to handle this? I can come advise you if you want.”

Fayette gave Mireille a look. She really didn’t appreciate the patronizing tone.

“I hardly need you watching over me for everything, ok? I’ll handle things fine on my own. Besides, don’t you have your own things you wanted to look into?”

Mireille sighed, then nodded. “I had a talk with the [Innkeeper], and she said she knew some people. She was pretty happy with your cleaning yesterday, so she promised to make introductions.”

“Well, good. I’m glad it’s helping you out. Don’t get into any trouble on your own now, alright? I can’t always be there to bail you out.”

“I really don’t think I’m the one who is likely to end up in trouble...”

The pair chatted for a moment longer, before heading their separate ways. Fayette knew where the hunter’s guild was, but she had never actually been inside the place. She was feeling just a bit nervous about going to the place, but that nervousness was a small thing compared to the excitement she felt. She was finally taking a step on her new path.

The day’s events had only strengthened her conviction: yes, she had gained some experience from all her cooking practice, but that had been the product of days of work. Meanwhile, she only needed to whack a few thugs on the head to get a whole load of experience for it—it was just so much more efficient! I really do have to get to cleaning this city.

I’m getting close to level 15 too. I think it’s almost guaranteed I’ll get some uncommon class options; what I’m doing can’t possibly be classified as common, now can it?

She hastened her steps, and eventually found herself in front of a tall wooden lodge. It was a bit of a departure from the surrounding architecture. The buildings around it were all tall stone buildings with elegant facades, while this place alone maintained a rustic feel.

A two-story timber lodge which almost felt like it had been taken from the middle of some untamed wilds and plopped right into the middle of this bustling city—it was a bit incongruous.

Fayette approached the doors and flung them open. She did not stop to gawk, she wanted to be taken seriously after all, and stepped in. The inside of the place looked like a mix between a tavern and a government facility. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but the place seemed to be divided into two distinct areas.

One side was dark and gloomy, a mess hall for hunters staying in the city. Gruff men were sitting around tables having hushed discussions. It was the early morning, but Fayette still spotted some tankards of ale.

The hunters were varied in build, but uniform in bearing. There were no fancy [Mages] or [Knights] here—this was a place for people who could treat the wilds as their second home. Dark cloaks and armour, a mix of mismatched gear scrounged up from who knows where, and rusty weapons in dire need of maintenance. Not much of a glorious sight.

Fayette thought the lot of them could have used a thorough wash.

The other side of the hall gave a very different impression. The morning light was hitting the place just right, illuminating the clean floors, neat reception tables and orderly notice boards. Fayette nodded with appreciation—this side was more her style.

It did not take her long to spot the [Maid] cleaning the place, a wisp of a girl sweeping the grime and spilled food away as the hunters ate and drank. She faded into the background in that distinct way servants did; unless the observer was also in the field of course. There was a certain kinship between [Maids]—Fayette had never met the woman before, but she instantly got a picture of the circumstances.

The woman took notice of Fayette, and gave a nod. One professional recognized another. They didn’t need words to have a small conversation. Fayette nodded her head at the messy hunters and her meaning was clear, with a bit of contempt showing on her face. Hunters, am I right? Always making a mess.

The other [Maid] rolled her eyes. You can say that again. She then shrugged her shoulders. Still, work is work, right?

Fayette nodded back, then gestured towards the reception desks. Keep at it! I’ll head to my own affairs.

The wispy girl also gave Fayette another curt nod, an acknowledgment, then went back to her cleaning. It was a short conversation, having taken place in the space of a few glances, but they were both professionals. A [Maid] would not engage in idle gossip. At least not too much.

Fayette walked towards the receptions on the other side of the room. Nobody took notice of her walking into the room; not until she walked to the reception on the right that was: the one marked as “Hunter Affairs”.

A few laughs sounded out in the room, and the bored looking [Receptionist], a scholar-like woman with thick-rimmed glasses, turned from a stack of papers to grimace at Fayette. The woman pointed at the other reception desk. “Excuse me, miss, requests are handled at that table.”

Fayette got a bit annoyed at the flippant dismissal, but she held her tongue. She knew that servicing customers could be a grating job, and she needed no enmity with this [Receptionist]. Amiability would be key here—if complications arose, she wanted to have a helpful [Receptionist], not an annoyed one.

She activated [Maid’s Poise] and tried to look as dignified and serious as possible. “Then I think I am at the right desk. I am not here to post a request—I am here to sign myself up as a hunter.”

Note: We won't actually do much generic adventurer stuff in this story. The guild shows up in like 3 chapters total lol.

158