Chapter 33: The End
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33: The End

Sunday came, just as Ossilo finished the clothes. They didn't change into them right away. Not wanting to get them muddy. It had rained last night, a reminder that autumn had replaced summer.

They hopped on the wagon that Orion still had, and then got to the village. People were like a hive of busy bees that day. Walking around in their best clothes, doing some last-minute preparations for the wedding.

They made it to Beth's house, and knocked on the door.

"Come on in, why are you not in the wedding clothes?" Beth chastised, and Orion smiled sheepishly at her.

"Well, that is because we didn't want to get the clothes muddy," Orion told her. They changed, and Orion's breath hitched in his throat, when he saw the other two.

Ossilo wore a robe, with silver details, and flowing sleeves. There was a silk belt around his waist, and his chest was exposed, as it was the case with all of his robes. Ethinir wore a puffy pants suit, with a longer side that hid his behind, but on the front, the jacket was short, and showed off the pants.

Ethinir's pants were with leaf and vine motives, much like how Orion's were, but they were stitched in with pearls. The blue thread suited him, and Orion had to stop himself from salivating.

"I am the luckiest man in the world," Orion said, and then took the book, and kissed the cover. He heard something like a giggle from it, but decided not to think too much on that.

"Well, you have to go separately. The groom has to wait in the church, the brides have to take their time. I must do their hair," Beth told them all, and Orion was ushered out of the house.

He walked the streets, exchanging greeting with this villager or that. Not one of them had a pitchfork in their hands. Orion wondered what Lilia would have said, if she could see the state her son was in now. Well-loved by his natural enemies, and appreciated by them.

Orion shook his head. He had to put such thoughts behind him. The villagers were his partners, not his enemies. Maybe, they never were. He felt a tingle of regret at all the memories of him hurting them, in the past. Of the bitterness of them coming into his forest with pitchforks and torches.

If he wanted to be peaceful, truly peaceful, then he needed to forgive once and for all. These were good, morally upstanding people. He could see himself working alongside them for a brighter future.

He saw a small boy begging on a corner, and went to him.

"What is your name, where are your parents?" Orion asked. The boy looked up at him. His look was a starved one.

"They died from too much work. Sir, do you think I will be allowed to eat some of the food from the wedding feast? I am small, and don't eat much," the boy's stomach growled, and Orion offered his hand.

"Come with me to the market. I will make sure you get something to eat before the feast," Orion then led the boy to the market. The stands were bare bones, and the vampire had the sinking suspicion that it was because the merchants wanted to go to the wedding. Still, the bread stand was still open. After Orion bought a loaf of bread with mincemeat for the boy, he handed it over.

The orphan ate it like he was seeing food for the first time. Or, in the very least, the first time in days. Which was more likely. Orion then led him to Beth's house.

"You will be fine, from now on," Orion told the boy, already knowing this child would be his first son. "How would you like to live with me and my husbands?"

"Like a family?" The orphan teared up, and Orion patted his head.

"Exactly as a family," Orion told him. "What is your name?"

"Daniel," the boy said. His grimy hand found Orion's. Orion gave the hand a little squeeze, and knocked on the door of Beth's house. Beth came out, and was just about to chastise him for coming back, when she saw the boy.

"He is overdue for a bath, a change of clothes, and a brush for his hair," Orion told her, and then nudged Daniel inside. "I apologize for the last-minute notice, but I found the ring bearer."

"The one I picked will be disappointed to hear it, but I am certain that Samuel won't mind being replaced," Beth said, and she ushered the boy inside.

Orion rushed to the church, and took his spot, as the building began filling in. On the groom's side, he saw Alexei and Ivan, wearing beige clothes, and whispering to each other.

An hour after that, Daniel came carrying a cushion with three rings on it, and the brightest smile a child has ever given Orion. The vampire winked at the boy, his new son, and the boy winked back, albeit clumsily.

Half an hour later, Ossilo and Ethinir came inside, and Orion's breath hitched again. Their hair shone. Ethinir's short hair was combed until the golden strands shone through the brown. Ossilo's long silver-blonde hair was in an intricate braid. Orion could wager that that was the reason for the delay. The two walked hand in hand, giving each other off.

Ossilo went to Orion's right, and Ethinir went to his left. The two were beaming at him. The priest began to address them, but Orion was a ball of nerves. What if he said something that was not in his vows? What if Ossilo didn't take the golden apple he had prepared for him?

They said the vows, and then had the rings on their fingers. Orion took out the golden apple, and offered it to Ossilo.

"Please spend eternity with me, my love. My heart will be broken if you are not there with Ethinir and me," Orion told the Naga, who teared up.

Ossilo took the apple, and bit down. Sealing their fates for good.

The End.

2