Chapter 20: Theft is a Gamble
89 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PART 4: THE SNOW JOB


We parked inside the garage and made our way into my home. I began to head to my room, but a clack against the marble flooring above us halted me. I paused as Gale emerged at the top of the stairway which leads to my room.

 

“Ahh, there you are, Cassidy,” Gale said as he descended the stairway. “I was wondering where you might be.”

 

“You could’ve called and asked. You can itch all sorts of curiosities with a question. I’ll provide an example: Why are you here, and how did you gain access?”

 

“I was aiding the elderly, as any good citizen should. Your grandfather returned to the city this morning and requested I drive him from the airport.”

 

I arched my brow. “Why did Grandpa request you and not me?”

 

“I believe it’s your turn to answer a question, as I’ve answered two. Where were you?”

 

“Cain International. We stayed in the penthouse.”

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s my family’s property, I have a gala to host there, and I relish the view of the city. Why is it any of your concern?”

 

Gale’s face remained impassive, but his eyes scrutinized. “It concerns me because I’ve no clue what you were doing after your encounter with Narcissa. Furthermore, I spoke with your house’s staff. If they are to be believed, you vanished for a day or so not too long ago. Would you mind sharing why?”

My mouth dried as I wondered if he had deduced my secret. I would’ve thought it unlikely prior, given that I had covered my tracks quite well, but he had no reason to ask such questions unless he was suspicious.

 

Ruminate later! a part of me said. “Yes, I would mind sharing. I’m free to spend my time as I please.”

 

“Provided you’re not breaking the law.”

 

My stomach roiled. “What are you implying?”

 

“Let’s not dance around this: you’re The Grandmaster of Theft.”

 

My brows popped up as I became as rigid as a sheet of steel.

 

“You aren’t as clever as you think,” he said.

 

I sharpened my eyes. “On what grounds do you accuse me?”

 

“Are you not going to deny the accusation?”

 

“I’ve nothing more to say without my lawyer present.”

 

“Saying that isn’t helping your case.”

 

“And it’s all I’ll say without my lawyer.”

 

A frown etched into his face. “Allow me to state this in a term you’ll understand. Theft is a gamble. You’ve been fortunate, but the longer this goes on, the more likely you will lose. And lose big. You aren’t above the law. You aren’t exceptional. The house always wins.”

I hardened my glare as Gale thundered across the marble flooring and exited my home.

 

“Svoda,” I hissed – I had to say something.

 

“I’m going to go inspect for anything out of the ordinary,” Wynn said as he climbed the stairway.

 

I shifted my attention toward the top of the stairs and wondered what Gale had done before leaving. Was he investigating anywhere? He couldn’t have entered my room – or at least, he couldn’t have without someone providing him access. The list of persons who could access it was only myself, my family, and Wynn – not even the staff could enter without my permission.

 

That’s why he had Grandpa! I deduced.

 

I chomped on my inner cheek and considered what harm could come from entering my room. He wouldn’t discover anything incriminating, as I concealed my contraband with safe houses. He could hide surveillance devices of his own, provided he possessed a warrant. Still, the chances of him obtaining one in such short order struck me as unlikely. Unless he’s breaking the law himself, I considered. I doubted he would, but better safe than sorry.

 

My thoughts turned to another question: why did he confront me as he did? He could’ve maintained an illusion of ignorance had he wished. It would’ve served him well if he had. So why didn’t he? Was his push meant to intimidate me or something more?

If there is something more, I reasoned, it must include Grandpa. It was the only explanation for why they were together. Besides, it wouldn’t be out of character for him. My grandfather was once a cop – decades ago, and he retired young, but he was one. He consulted on cases from time to time when not solving the private affairs of others.

 

I asked Henriette where Grandpa was, and she directed me toward the greenhouse.

 

The sun streamed through the greenhouse’s glass ceiling and nourished the potted herbs while a sweet aroma invited me in. I trekked through the pathway between the shelves and found Grandpa hunched over a ledge, watering seedlings.

 

My grandfather is a paunchy man with a long, wizard-like beard and an egg-shaped head. He dressed more accustomed to the staff, with simple green overalls, a white t-shirt, and yellow gloves.

 

“Good morning, kiddo,” Grandpa said.

 

I bowed my head. “Morning, sir. I thought you were attending a tech expo?”

 

“An urgent request from Gale demanded my attention.”

 

“Did he rope you into his absurd assumption regarding me?”

 

“Is it absurd? He’s presented an interesting hypothesis.”

 

“I’ve no inkling what his suspicions are based on, but his conclusion is as credible as the other conspiracy theories surrounding our family.”

 

Grandpa moseyed down to the next row of plants and sprinkled them with water.

“Gale doesn’t know if you are The Grandmaster of Theft or just an accomplice. He suspects you based on your recent movements and a profile he designed. You correspond well with what he expects of The Grandmaster of Theft.”

 

“Then he’s failing to adhere to what you taught. A detective should collect information before theorizing, as a detective who theorizes before collecting information can twist any information to suit their theory.”

 

Grandpa’s greyish-blue eyes gleamed as his face lit. “I stand by the lesson.”

 

“Then why are you humoring him?”

 

“I’ve yet to collect the data regarding where you were.”

 

“…Preparing for the gala has been stressful, so I relieved myself with some underground gambling.”

 

“Are you keeping within the limits I set?”

 

I nodded. So long as my gambling indulgencies didn’t harm the business or our family, Grandpa dismissed it.

 

“I’ll handle Gale if that’s all it was,” Grandpa said.

 

I bowed my head. “Thank you—”

 

If that’s all it was.”

 

I raised my head and met his eyes.

 

“I will investigate your claims and respond as I must if I discover any discrepancies. But, before I do, I offer lenience. If you confess to being The Grandmaster of Theft – or are involved in her crimes in any respect – I will defend you from any harm. And not just because you’re my granddaughter.”

 

I tilted my head.

 

“To be frank, I’m not too concerned with stopping The Grandmaster. She reminds me of those fables I read you when you were a kid.”

 

“The Nine Tales of Reinhardt the Trickster?” I said, unsurprised. The fox insignia on my calling card is inspired by Reinhardt.

 

“You know my feelings on those who misuse power. I won’t shed tears over shmucks getting a taste of their own medicine. All I want is for you to be honest with me if you’re involved. That way, I know what I must do to ensure your safety.”

 

My mind exploded as a puzzle piece clicked into place. Gale laid the foundation for Grandpa! He likely did have suspicions, but he couldn’t obtain any decisive evidence on account of me covering my tracks. Or perhaps he’s connected to Ozonnole, I theorized. If he were, he’d know what occurred in Sokkinhveim and how the date corresponded with my disappearance. It would explain why he suspected me as well.

 

Either way, he recruited Grandpa to test his hypothesis. I couldn’t trust Grandpa.

 

“I’m not The Grandmaster of Theft,” I said, “nor am I involved with her ventures.”

5