Chapter 17: End of the Mission
394 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as Nether Wolves was about to strike with its vicious claws at the three people hugging beside the wooden carriage, Cheng Tian appeared in the path between the enemy and his customers.

Using his fan to defend those people, Cheng Tian attacked with his External Spirit Bone toward that wolf's head.

"Golden Finger!"

A long, sharp, purple-colored fingernail emerged from Cheng Tian's right index finger simultaneously with his attack.

After that, a trail of blood appeared on that artificial nail, along with the side cut at the height of the enemy's brain.

At that instant, the Nether Wolf stood still in its previous position, with one of its claws against the white part of Cheng Tian's fan. Then, after suddenly trembling and losing the clarity in its eyes, it fell sideways to the ground, already dead!

Silence covered the surroundings of that area, while the family there still hugged each other in fear, and the coachman looked at the wolf killed by Cheng Tian.

'What was that? A weapon?' That man wondered.

Not knowing anything about External Soul Bones, he simply considered that Cheng Tian had his tricks with external artifacts.

"Sigh!"

"I think we'd better leave this place as soon as possible." Cheng Tian broke the silence. "With those dead spirit beasts in the surrounding area, that will only attract more trouble."

"This..." The coachman looked at the surroundings and then at his contractors.

Cheng Tian continued. "This may not be the middle of an area dominated by spirit beasts, but the risk we face by traveling at night is less than that by staying in this location."

After hearing here, the father regained some of his rationality, still afraid but ready to follow through with what was best for his family. "Young Madara, thank you for saving us..."

He then looked at the coachman and ordered. "Old Tu, let's do as young Madara said. Moving on will be better for us."

"All right. I'll prepare the carriage, and in 2 minutes, we'll leave!"

After that, that old coachman started collecting the items outside the carriage and put out the fire from earlier.

At the same time, mother and daughter looked at Cheng Tian with gratitude, happy that such a mercenary had done so well.

"Brother Madara, thank you!" The girl ran up to him and hugged him, still sobbing amidst her tears.

Feeling that girl was hugging him, Cheng Tian ignored her cheeky behavior and did not hug her back. She was just a child in his eyes, and he sincerely preferred not to be touched by strangers he was not connecting to.

In any case, he was not unreasonable and knew that something like this could happen in this situation. So, he was not unkind to push her away and just accepted the girl's thanks.

After hearing some words of gratitude from the mother, he heard from the old coachman. "Young Madara, what are you going to do with these corpses? They can be sold when we pass the next town on our way."

"Oh? Let me take a look at them..." He observed the surroundings with his Sharingan, but unfortunately, there was no Spirit Bone on those bodies.

He then said after a moment. "Unfortunately, I don't have any storage items, so I can't take those bodies..."

"How about you remove their skin? We have no way to take a whole body, but the skin won't be difficult." The father said after accommodating his family in the carriage.

The coachman nodded. "Let me help you cut some of their flesh off too. Unfortunately, you won't be able to preserve it to sell, but we can make a stew tomorrow. Do you agree?"

"Hmm, let's do it this way."

In the blink of an eye, they finished their business in that area and set off toward the southwest.

...

A few days later...

After the previous incident, Cheng Tian had to fight a few more times on behalf of that family. However, the maximum danger faced by his group had been the previous Nether Wolves.

Other than those spirit beasts, the problems in their way had not even required Cheng Tian's martial soul.

But still, he managed to gather some coins from these incidents!

After defeating beasts and criminals, he sold various parts of the beasts and criminals' belongings in towns on the way to Holy Spirit Village.

That was not enough for him to change his life and obtain some of his goals, but it was enough for him to pay some expenses.

That family was paying his expenses during this mission, but sooner or later, he would return to live alone. So, even a few coins made a difference to Cheng Tian!

In any case, his group was, at this moment, only a few kilometers away from Holy Spirit Village, where this young man's mission would end even before sunset this day.

Seeing that place from a distance, Cheng Tian smiled at being about to finish his mission without casualty and arriving at this historical place for him. 'Is that the village Tang San grew up in?' He wondered as he looked at some houses already in his field of vision.

'That place looks peaceful...'

'Hmmm.'

'I'll spend the night here and then head to Nuoding City when the sun rises over the horizon.' He made up his mind to rest before continuing on his way, also taking the opportunity to relax in a peaceful place, but one that had its tourist value to him.

Holy Spirit Village had nothing to provide it, but as someone who knew Tang San's story, he could not look at such a location in a usual way.

In any case, this place was home to farmers from the vast farmlands that supplied part of Nuoding City's food demand. In other words, it was not far from Cheng Tian's goal, and even if he spent a night there, he could still reach his destination in less than two days.

"Young Madara, once again, I thank you for your efforts. Without you, we would not have made it this far." The father sincerely said as he bowed to Cheng Tian and handed him a bag with coins.

Cheng Tian also heard sincere words from mother and daughter, the latter particularly worried about whether she would ever see this person she had grown attached to again. But he just left a possible reunion to fate to decide and left that group after exchanging a few words with old Tu.

After getting his coins, Cheng Tian found a place to eat and spend the night in Holy Spirit Village, then left to walk the area.

'During those days, I couldn't advance my cultivation since I couldn't use my skill in front of those people. In any case, I feel that my cultivation base is fine at this point.' He walked amidst the dirt paths of that village.

'Hmmm.'

'The life of a mercenary isn't so terrible...' He imagined this with a smile on his face as he felt the night breeze. 'I thought I would become a student in Cryptid Academy and perhaps go on to have a future similar to Tang San's. But it seems my destiny is tied to the life of a mercenary, to the hunt.'

'With my innate ability, hunting criminals and people who deserve to die is the best thing for me!' He decisively clasped his hands just before he reached a small peak, already in one of the outer areas of the village.

"After I arrive in Nuoding City, I will do my best to join a mercenary guild. That will be my beginning! After that, I'll see how I develop locally!" He muttered under his breath, looking up at the starry sky of that region.

...

12