Captive Heart – Ruyi
339 15 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Captive Heart

by Ruyi

Content enticements/warnings:

Spoiler

Historical, Drama, Carefree Protagonist, Devoted Love Interest, Ancient China, Royalty, Yandere (very mild hints), Hopeful Ending

[collapse]

🌑

Song Inspirations: Starlight Falling by Wang Zongjie, The Stars in the Sky are Sleeping by Song Mingzhe & Song Jiaoyang

Character Names & Art Refs: 

Art by val

冷沁雪 Leng Qinxue (Fourth Prince, shou), 皇甫榕勁 Huangfu Rongjin (Slave King, gong)

 


 

"For the King of Yan to grace Our halls so soon after ascension is high courtesy indeed."

In the palace sat a king dressed in radiant gold on an elevated throne. Before him stood his ministers, heads bowed like stalks of wheat as their ears strained to hear every word.

"We have heard of your father's passing and offer Our condolences. Nevertheless, Yan is blessed to see calm restored to its people after the scourge of his reign."

The three princes standing at the base of the throne all exchanged knowing looks before glancing at the figure half crouched in the middle of the hall. The so-called King of Yan wasn't much older than themselves. Yet in the same week he became king, he cast off all status to be a hostage at the Yue court for the next three years to guarantee the peace of his nation.

"This humble one is also gratified for my people, but dare not wear such titles for myself." The voice that spoke was low and melodious as its owner kowtowed. Long ripples of rich black hair pooled past the shoulders of his white robes—well tailored, but too plain for a king—to frame the fair forehead pressed to the ground. And that was no wonder, for he would be serving as little better than a slave in Yue.

"From this moment on, Huangfu Rongjin is merely a provisional ward of Your Majesty, to do with as Your Majesty pleases."

Nobility without arrogance. Humility without subservience.

An admirable attitude under the circumstances, and Huangfu Rongjin played it to perfection without making it seem like an act. Pleased, the king stroked his graying beard and nodded.

"We are touched by your sincerity," he intoned. "As matters of state occupy Our time, We would leave you in the care of Our royal sons. Princes, who amongst you shall accept the task of showing this slave his place?"

A tricky question. Although Huangfu Rongjin (皇甫榕勁) ranked worse than a commoner in their country, he was still a former king. Taking him in could be seen as an act of merciful kindness—or intentional humiliation. It would depend on how their king wanted the man treated, but his vague attitude kept the court guessing.

Praising the man one minute, demeaning his status the next…

The three princes exchanged looks again. Already, the crown prince had decided to distance himself from the matter—he was next in line to the throne, and if the king found it beneath him to entertain such a "guest," he should follow in his father's footsteps. The second and third princes were more hesitant. Such an important hostage would only give face to their palaces and perhaps gain the king's attention. After all, the position of crown prince wasn't set in stone, so if they could earn some merit from the task…

The second prince was a subtle, scheming sadist already plotting ways to torment the ex-king in secret while presenting an image of conscientious care. In this way, he could appeal to his father no matter how the king felt towards Huangfu Rongjin.

The third prince was more straightforward and had led the frontlines on the battlefield. He planned to simply toss Huangfu Rongjin into the army camp and let him atone for the lives he took during the war.

Before either of them could speak up however, another voice entered the fray.

"I'll take him."

Like a breeze on stagnant waters, it caused ripples through the court. At once, all eyes turned toward the source and saw a figure stepping over the threshold of the door.

"Fourth prince?" The king's voice softened.

The title seemed like a farce in light of the arrival’s appearance. Although he was dressed in rich brocade robes, they hung off one shoulder and were messily tied at the waist. His hair was similarly rumpled, done up in a half-bun like a crow’s nest and stabbed firmly in place by a shiny gold hairpin. The only respite from the gaudy getup was his face: innocent and fresh, his cheeks faintly flushed as amber irises gleaned from a pair of bright, doe-like eyes.

The ministers politely averted their gaze from the youth as if used to ignoring his oddities. Huangfu Rongjin still had his forehead pressed to the floor and only heard soft, shuffling footsteps approaching. They stopped next to him, allowing him a glimpse of dusty black shoes before the same clear voice spoke up again.

“Royal Father.”

Murmurs rose among the ministers even as the king’s tone shook with excitement. “Xue-er…!"

If Huangfu Rongjin recalled correctly, rumors abound about the Fourth Prince Leng Qinxue (冷沁雪). He was the 19 year-old son of the king's beloved concubine and famous for being spoiled until a riding accident a few years ago caused him to lose his wits. He was prone to fits of incoherent rambling, temper tantrums, and even memory loss, having forgotten about his royal heritage beyond snatches of clarity. Though he lost all prestige as a prince, his status in the court was unshakable and tolerated without exception—all because his late mother had been the king's favorite.

For Leng Qinxue to even recognize his father was a rare thing.

Fingers brushed against his skin, jolting Huangfu Rongjin out of his thoughts. He clearly felt the cool digits curling around his wrist.

"Up, up."

Huangfu Rongjin stiffened until the king spoke next, his voice stern. "Does a mere slave dare disobey the summons of a royal prince?"

Huangfu Rongjin recalled that the fourth prince had mentioned "taking" him when he arrived. Hesitantly, he allowed the hand to pull up his arm, then his entire person, until he was standing over the shorter prince.

"Your Highness…?" he tried before being rendered mute by the…remarkably slovenly teen. He bowed in the direction of the throne. "Your Royal Majesty."

"From this day on, you shall serve in the Jadefrost Palace of the fourth prince," the king said crisply. "Hurry and acknowledge your new master."

Huangfu Rongjin's brain was still playing catch-up when he bowed and turned towards Leng Qinxue. Obviously he'd missed something crucial while lost in his thoughts. "This slave is at the mercy of Your Fourth Highness."

It was a testament to his mental acuity that he could adapt to his new changes so quickly. Yet the surrounding murmurs intensified, the voices tinged with mockery.

"How fitting for the former King of Yan—wasn't his father a fool as well? He should feel right at home."

"The son of a lunatic serving our own Fourth Highness…you can't say he lacks experience."

"I pity the man. His Fourth Highness's temper is strange and unpredictable, but the king will have his head if anything hurts his beloved child."

"Pah, what use is there pitying a slave? Save it for when he survives the three years…"

These whispers were too soft to reach the throne, but Huangfu Rongjin heard them easily. Yet insulting as they were, he didn't pay them any mind.

Because the instant he met eyes with Leng Qinxue, the other had winked at him.

Huangfu Rongjin was still in a daze when Leng Qinxue took his hand and led him out of the hall.

"I'm not actually crazy."

Back at Jadefrost Palace, the beautiful youth in purple brocade robes lounged across a chaise while sucking on a freshly peeled lychee. There were no servants around—the fourth prince had made clear his distaste for them during the day, so they always kept their distance.

Huangfu Rongjin only felt numb as he sat by the table peeling more fruit.

"It's just that this world's a book and I fell into it somehow. I expected a System or something to guide me, but it's been two years with nothing. I figured I'd be stuck here for the rest of my life until you showed up! Bro, let's make a deal. I'll treat you well so three years later, take me with you to Yan."

That got his attention, and Huangfu Rongjin looked up in bewilderment. "Why do you want to go to Yan?"

Leng Qinxue sighed and flung his head over the armrest. "Because I'm tired of being a prince. I don't want to fight for the throne but they won't let me leave either, and I'm not smart enough to scheme against these foxy old geniuses into letting me go. At most I've only gotten them to leave me alone."

"And what will you do…after you leave?" Huangfu Rongjin asked next.

"Ah? Probably retire to the countryside or something," Leng Qinxue shrugged. "The natural environment in ancient China is really good, so I should be able to survive in the wild. Plant some crops, raise some chickens, maybe a dog or cat too—that sounds about right. I'll even pay taxes so you won't suffer any losses harboring a refugee."

If Huangfu Rongjin had any doubts before, he was now convinced.

Leng Qinxue had truly lost his mind.

Half the words he said didn't make sense, while the rest defied all common logic. His claims of a fantastical world with even wilder technology were more colorful than the ravings of the most imaginative storyteller at the teahouse. But amidst the insanity, two facts held true.

One, Leng Qinxue felt no familiarity with the Yue Kingdom and its royal court.

Two, the youth had taken him in out of genuine goodwill. Of course, his motive was to leave Yue—but that kind of request could only give Huangfu Rongjin advantages in the long run. Even an idiot prince was a respected personage, to say nothing of one so beloved by his father.

Walking into enemy territory willingly, he's truly…foolish. He debated lecturing him, but ultimately kept quiet. Ignorance was its own source of bliss.

At the very least, he would repay Leng Qinxue's kindness with the same during his servitude.

When Leng Qinxue woke up the next morning, he saw Huangfu Rongjin sitting by the bed, a tray of toiletries arranged next to him. Amber eyes skimmed over the towels, comb, and bottles of cream before blinking owlishly.

"You don't really need to serve me, you know. I've done well enough myself the past two years."

Huangfu Rongjin simply turned to check the temperature of the water in the washbasin before shaking his head. "Your Highness, a prince must project an aura of dignity."

Leng Qinxue frowned. "They leave me alone more when I look insane. Besides, even the king doesn't care, so why should you?"

"The king spoils you as his son, while your brothers would rather you embarrass yourself to highlight their own merits in comparison," Huangfu Rongjin was very direct. He doubted anything but blunt honesty could reach someone so straightforward. "But it would reflect badly on this slave, your appointed servant, if I allowed you to walk about with a mass of brambles for your hair."

Leng Qinxue tugged at his hair, frowning. "It's all knots by now, I don't want—"

"Your Highness's words to treat me well, were they true?"

"Yeah, of course!" He had to be sincere, or else what if Huangfu Rongjin left him behind three years later?

"Then please allow me to do my duties. His Royal Majesty would expect this much," Huangfu Rongjin said as he picked up the comb. "And I promise, I’ll be gentle."

The end result was Leng Qinxue sitting in a chair for three hours while Huangfu Rongjin sorted out his hair and dressed him up like a doll. The prince was a couple months short of his adulthood ceremony and had naturally refined features. When tidied up, he radiated an aura of clean jade even when wearing his usual gold hairpin and ostentatious purple robes.

A handsome young man, Huangfu Rongjin decided, just as a eunuch outside announced the sudden visit of the crown prince.

"Royal Brother, your favorite pastries," the crown prince waved imperiously for his attendant to set a box on the table. "They were freshly made by the kitchens this morning, so have a taste."

He sat in one chair while Leng Qinxue sat in the other. Meanwhile, Huangfu Rongjin could only stand in attendance behind them while the crown prince treated him as air.

"Mm," Leng Qinxue nodded absently and leaned back to look at his newest servant. "Ah-Jin, open."

It took Huangfu Rongjin a second to realize Leng Qinxue was referring to himself before he gracefully moved to lift the lid. Even the crown prince was surprised, glancing between them with a complex expression.

"It seems that Royal Brother likes your new slave very much," he smiled slowly. "You've even allowed him to dress you this morning."

"Ah-Jin does what he likes," Leng Qinxue said airily, then paused to add, "Of course, it's what I like too."

"Is that so." The crown prince's eyes grew cold, but before he could speak again, Leng Qinxue had stuffed one of the flaky pastries into his mouth, nearly choking him.

"You eat too," Leng Qinxue insisted and gave him a childish grin.

The crown prince's eye twitched. This brat…!

"I don't like these," Leng Qinxue declared at the box of mung bean pastries after the crown prince left with his dignity in tatters. "I mean, maybe the original host did, but it's too sweet for me. I like savory stuff instead—what about you?"

Huangfu Rongjin was carefully cleaning off crumbs on the table and didn't look up when he spoke. "This slave never ate snacks while growing up."

How could he when he was busy struggling to survive? His father was truly a madman, whose violent rampages and irrational rule caused the fall of Yan to Yue in the first place before Huangfu Rongjin had seized the throne.

A bloody seat he'd earned by killing his father with his own hands.

Even if his ministers had urged him on, even if he'd taught himself to be a perfect gentleman despite the shadows of his childhood, patricide made him no better than a murderer.

"Don't call yourself that."

Huangfu Rongjin's heart lurched. "What?"

He looked up in confusion, wondering if Leng Qinxue had read his mind. But the prince was only picking up another pastry from the box.

"I said, don't call yourself 'this slave,' at least when we're alone. You're actual royalty while I'm playacting, and you're much better at it too," Leng Qinxue said. "Here, try one."

He took Huangfu Rongjin's hand and deposited the fresh mung bean pastry into his palm. Again Huangfu Rongjin looked lost, so Leng Qinxue poked his forehead.

"Whatcha staring for? It's just food. If you've never eaten snacks before, you can start now," he grimaced slightly, "Everyone keeps sending me them. You can eat them all if you want."

A strange flutter rose in Huangfu Rongjin's chest. "Your Highness—"

"Don't call me that either," Leng Qinxue frowned. "Haven't I already used Ah-Jin? You can call me Ah-Xue. My soul might be different but at least my name's still the same. Do you know, transmigrators are always…"

The prince is rambling again, Huangfu Rongjin thought blankly as he bit down on the pastry.

Soft and sweet.

Leng Qinxue thought he was doing an excellent job, all things considered.

First, he'd been whisked into a random novel without finishing the ending. Second, he had no help but still managed to survive in the cutthroat world of palace politics. Third, he had netted the only male lead without a canon pairing in the entire book.

Of course, that was because Huangfu Rongjin turned out to be a tragic cannon fodder who died early, but with him here he was sure they could both survive. For one thing, the guy wasn't being passed between the second and third princes and suffering everyday. For another, Huangfu Rongjin was supposed to be a genius, so he was sure the man could wrangle up an excuse to whisk him away. He even gave him plenty of free time in case he needed to set up any secret rendezvous with mired agents within the palace.

Although…he sticks around me most of the time?

In the mornings, Huangfu Rongjin dressed him and combed his hair. When Leng Qinxue wandered around the palace on “walks” through obscure side paths bordering convenient palace walls, Huangfu Rongjin never looked at anything but the ground. Even when Leng Qinxue pointed out a dusty alcove perfect for storing secret messages, he would only notice the flower bush in front of it and comment with a line of poetry.

Leng Qinxue figured the guy still didn’t trust him and upped his efforts to get closer. He gave the man his snacks and had them share the same table at mealtimes. He made sure to try every dish personally to check for poison before giving the lion’s share to his companion. He’d even managed to coax him into sharing the same bed to prove that he was completely harmless.

And yet Huangfu Rongjin only smiled politely and continued to play his part as faithful servant, seemingly oblivious to Leng Qinxue’s cues, hints, and blatant suggestions.

Maybe he’s got high IQ but low EQ.

Recalling that the man was also a skilled swordsman, Leng Qinxue managed to sneak Huangfu Rongjin’s beloved blade Traceless into Jadefrost Palace. The latter was cleaning the table after lunch when he presented it with a proud little flourish.

Startled, Huangfu Rongjin lost his grip on the plates and shattered them on the ground.

“Ah-Jin!” Leng Qinxue ran over immediately. “Are you okay?!”

His gold thigh couldn’t afford a single scratch, okay?!

“Stay back!” For the first time, Huangfu Rongjin raised his voice, arms raised to keep Leng Qinxue from the broken shards on the floor. “Don’t move, I’ll get a rag to clean this up.”

Afterwards he grabbed Traceless, but it was only to hide it in the bedroom away from curious eyes.

Leng Qinxue felt inexplicably rebuffed.

"It's forbidden to bring weapons into the royal residences," Huangfu Rongjin said solemnly as the two of them sat on the bed later with Traceless lying over his lap.

"They won't care if it's me," Leng Qinxue thumped his chest confidently. "Besides, it's your sword and you need it to train. You can't just practice with branches all the time."

"Your Highness—"

"Ah-Jin."

"...Ah-Xue." Huangfu Rongjin took the sword and pushed it firmly into Leng Qinxue's hands. "I appreciate it, but it's too obvious. Keep it for me until I need it?"

Leng Qinxue realized this was the first time Huangfu Rongjin had ever requested something for himself. Finding it fresh, he agreed and hid the sword beneath his—their bed.

Never hurts to do him favors.

He hadn't even noticed how softly Huangfu Rongjin spoke these days.

Huangfu Rongjin felt like he was losing his mind, all things considered.

He had resigned himself to three years of bitterness as Yue's hostage, having heard of the second prince's sadism, the third prince's brutality, and the crown prince's skills to manipulate them both. The fourth prince had never entered his calculations, but now Huangfu Rongjin was willingly waiting on him hand and foot.

To be honest, there wasn't much in the way of work—Leng Qinxue was extremely hands-on for a prince and did everything himself besides the morning dressing rituals. He also had no sense of subtlety and pushed everything good at him to curry favor.

No one had ever treated him so…kindly. He'd be lying if he said it didn't affect him.

"Ah-Jin, the tribute grapes from the west are here! Eat them with me?"

What kind of simpleton told a stranger everything on his mind?

"Ah-Jin, is it summer in Yan already? Yue's so far north we don't get spring until halfway through the year. It sucks!"

What kind of prince abandoned a life of luxury for the challenges of living in a foreign land?

"Ah-Jin, did you remember the route through the gardens we took last time? It goes right by the Ministry of Justice, but has the least amount of guards on patrol."

"Ah-Xue," Huangfu Rongjin said as he wiped a crumb off Leng Qinxue's face after dinner, "How are you planning to leave Yue with me? Your father would never consent."

In fact, he'd count it a blessing if he was allowed back in one piece after the three years were up. Yan had a better climate and fertile land; he wouldn't be surprised if Yue was making plans to annex the country instead.

"I was waiting for you to come up with something," Leng Qinxue blinked at him. "Uh, maybe I could sneak out as a servant? Or you take me as a hostage instead?"

"And deal with all the palace guards alone?" Huangfu Rongjin didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "I'd be assassinated before we made it out the palace gates."

"Then we can make up something else," Leng Qinxue perked up. "For example, fake death or a vacation tour, or—"

"I do have an idea," Huangfu Rongjin said slowly. It was audacious, but maybe something wild was exactly what he needed to keep this strange man by his side.

Leng Qinxue shut up, eyes expectant.

Huangfu Rongjin took a deep breath and said, "Marry me."

"Huh?"

Leng Qinxue outright rejected him. Although male consorts weren't unusual in this world, they were just bros, not a couple in love!

But Huangfu Rongjin had been with him too long, too often, to not know his personality. As the treasured son of the King of Yue, Leng Qinxue would have no way of leaving the country permanently. Did he want Yan to rise up and conquer Yue so he could take him by force? Would he really risk the lives of his family and citizens for a bit of personal freedom? A marriage alliance between two countries would be much better, especially when neither of them posed an obvious threat to Yue's royal power.

"How is that any different from now?" Leng Qinxue complained. "After marriage, I'd just be stuck in your Yan palace instead."

"Ah-Xue." This time, there was a pleading note in Huangfu Rongjin's voice that even Leng Qinxue noticed. He looked up as the ex-king took his hands, a bit startled.

"W-what."

"If I can be a slave for you, then why not anything else?" Huangfu Rongjin coaxed. "A king is the soul of his land and people. You want to retire to the countryside; I offer you all the mountains and rivers of Yan. You want to raise chickens; I'll bring the birds of the world to your backyard. You can live where you want, do what you like, grasp the freedom you desire so deeply—I only ask that you allow this Ah-Jin to be by your side."

"...bro." Leng Qinxue managed after a while. "That's generous, but why do your eyes look like they're gonna eat me alive, ah."

Instinct told him this wasn't how brotherhood worked!

Huangfu Rongjin blinked and the intense gaze in his pupils melted back into placid gentleness. "I'm worried Ah-Xue will refuse me."

"Of course I will!" Leng Qinxue exclaimed. "You're a king! You need to—to get married and have heirs. It's not like I can birth you any!"

Something flared in Huangfu Rongjin's eyes—a quick, brief heat—before he settled into a smile. "I'm sure my uncle won't mind me passing the throne onto his son."

"But still—"

"I'm not interested in women," Huangfu Rongjin went on. "The best one I knew drove my father mad. How could I suffer more to approach me?"

Is this leftover trauma from his mother's death? Leng Qinxue wondered. But that didn't mean Huangfu Rongjin would be alone forever. He survived so far, he ought to keep on living until he reached life’s peak!

"You just haven't found the right one yet," he reasoned. "Listen bro, these things take time. One day you'll see someone who lights up your world just by existing—that's when you'll know she's the one."

"Has Ah-Xue experienced that yourself?"

"I wish! You're the first person I've talked to properly in the last three years! But it's not like I haven't read novels on this, so trust me, okay?"

"Mm, I understand."

"What d'you under—huh?!" Leng Qinxue was taken aback when Huangfu Rongjin pulled him into his arms.

"Ah-Xue, the summers in Yan are long and warm," a deep voice murmured above his head. "and my palace sits atop a mountain. At night, you can see the entire sky painted in stars."

"I think Ah-Xue would like it. Won't you come watch them with me?"

Leng Qinxue thought he must have screwed up somewhere.

His plan was to befriend Huangfu Rongjin, find a ticket out of Yue, and live in peace. So far things were progressing smoothly, but…was marriage the only solution? Couldn't he be the ancient equivalent of a diplomat or cultural ambassador or something…oh right, you need a brain for jobs like that.

Leng Qinxue began to consider whether it was too late to "regain" his sanity.

A shadow fell over him before he realized Huangfu Rongjin was holding an umbrella over his head. Leng Qinxue looked at the blue skies dubiously. "It's not raining."

"The summer sun is harsh, even in Yue," Huangfu Rongjin replied, taking the chance to straighten the prince’s collar and smooth out his robes. "Ah-Xue's been standing here for ages. It wouldn't do to get sunstroke."

Leng Qinxue shifted his gaze to that smiling face and kind eyes, bemused. "You're calling me by name more often these days."

"The three-year period is almost up," Huangfu Rongjin replied. "I'm uncertain whether I'll get the chance to call Ah-Xue again once I resume my status."

"About that…" Leng Qinxue trailed off. Certainly, it wouldn't be appropriate to go by nicknames once Huangfu Rongjin was king again, especially if Leng Qinxue refused to marry him. "I'm still deciding."

"Ah-Xue can take all the time he needs. Your Ah-Jin will wait a lifetime if need be," Huangfu Rongjin's tone remained serene.

"...." Leng Qinxue was lost in his thoughts.

Being a male consort wasn't too terrible, right? Farming was hard, and he was used to a life of ease in the palace. If Huangfu Rongjin gave him free reign to run around as he pleased…it'd be the best of both worlds. Besides, most marriages with royals were matters of convenience. They could stay bros while he explored the world—no problem there.

Leng Qinxue actually felt a twinge of guilt instead. Wasn't he just taking advantage of Huangfu Rongjin from beginning to end? Did the man always let others step all over him? Was that why he’d died so easily in the original novel?

Huangfu Rongjin had been watching Leng Qinxue the entire time. While the other had good control over his expressions, his eyes always gave him away.

Consideration, delight, doubt, worry…

He was still studying those amber pupils when their owner looked up and plucked the umbrella out of his fingers.

“You should get used to being a king again,” Leng Qinxue suddenly chided. He was shorter, but did his best to raise the umbrella and shade them both. “You’re not going to wait on others as royalty.”

“No,” Huangfu Rongjin agreed, though his smile widened. “With the exception of my consort.”

“I haven't decided on that yet!"

“That's why I still have hope,” he replied.

All right, my fault for leaving you hanging, Leng Qinxue admitted.

He was still wavering a couple days later when the crown prince came for another visit, this time with a box of savory pastries.

"The kitchens said your slave has been taking this kind back to Jadefrost Palace over the past few months," his brother smiled. "This morning I happened to grab the latest batch. Royal Brother should've told me you preferred the salty ones."

"Ah," Leng Qinxue replied perfunctorily before popping one into his mouth. Shame that Ah-Jin’s just left to fetch the snacks. Now he'll make a trip for nothing.

The crown prince went on to discuss the weather, but Leng Qinxue only felt his throat starting to itch. He coughed a few times, but the motion brought sharp stabbing pains that left tears in his eyes. A metallic taste filled his mouth as the hacking intensified—until he spat up black blood into his palms. He stared at it blankly even as the crown prince rose to his feet, walked to his side, and thoughtfully squeezed his shoulder.

"What a shame," his brother sighed. "You've been poisoned."

At last, the piece he'd been saving in the royal palace could finally be put to use.

Leng Qinxue's first thought was that he hadn't escaped palace scheming after all. Then came relief, because it was him and not Huangfu Rongjin who'd eaten the pastry.

After that, darkness.

Wild rumors spread through Yue Kingdom in the week before Huangfu Rongjin was to regain his status as King of Yan.

Apparently, he'd befriended the fourth prince with ulterior motives and poisoned him in cold blood as revenge for his countrymen. Everyone knew the King of Yue loved his youngest son, an idiot too simpleminded to do any wrong. The same kind prince had taken in Huangfu Rongjin and sheltered him for three years, only to be cruelly betrayed at the last moment. Evidence was unassailable: the pastries favored by the prince had been laced with a rare, toxic herb only found in Yan, and even Huangfu Rongjin's sword was found hidden beneath the fourth prince's bed. He must’ve been plotting against Leng Qinxue from the start!

The royals demanded Huangfu Rongjin's arrest, but the treacherous man had actually slipped their guard through secret paths in the palace and escaped! Public outcry arose and for a while, Yue was in a manhunting frenzy as everyone sought the criminal in the streets. The crown prince personally offered a generous reward for anyone who caught him, while the heartbroken King of Yue declared he'd conquer Yan to make them pay.

Unexpectedly, the Yan army arrived outside the capital gates three weeks later. At their head was their king: Huangfu Rongjin, who had shed his gentlemanly aura to be a bloodthirsty beast. In actuality, his kingdom had secretly built up strength in the last three years while their monarch was held prisoner.

It took less than a month for Yue to fall. Of the royal family, all were taken prisoner except the crown prince, who was publicly executed and had his corpse hung over the city walls. The civilians were left unharmed, but all of them quavered in the streets when they saw the King of Yan march out of the capital with his army.

Especially eye-catching was the opulent carriage following right behind him.

Despite their fears, the people couldn't wonder who was inside. A captive princess? An important ally? But the curtains were drawn and the carriage heavily guarded, so no one had the chance to know.

And thus, nobody glimpsed the beautiful youth lying unconscious on its seats.

🎼🎶🎵

At midsummer’s height, a handsome man dressed in simple white robes pushed a wheelchair to the very center of a platform beneath a cloudless night.

"Ah-Xue, we've arrived."

The youth sitting in the wheelchair was dressed in purple brocade robes with a shiny gold hairpin through his hair. He seemed to be fast asleep, head leaning to one side.

"They say you can see all the stars of Heaven from here. Aren't you going to take a look?"

The man in white leaned down with head cocked, waiting for an answer.

No response.

He sighed and moved to the front, crouching to peer up at the unconscious face. "Is Ah-Xue still mad at me? I lied to you about Yan's strength…even abolished Yue's throne to capture your family. You’re so furious you won’t wake up, right…”

A warm summer breeze stirred the youth’s lashes. Huangfu Rongjin watched them flutter before drawing a shaky breath.

“I know…Ah-Xue doesn’t like me in that way. That’s fine. I can love enough for us both. What you gave me before, I’ll give you double. Anything you want, I’ll get—just as long as you wake up.”

The poison wasn’t fatal, but the crown prince’s doctors who made it knew little about Yan’s rare herb. Somehow they’d distorted the formula and now Leng Qinxue was left no better than a vegetable.

“You can even hate me if you want. But don’t—don’t leave me alone.”

At last Huangfu Rongjin sank to his knees, head buried in the other's lap. What was it worth to subjugate Yue and rule as king of both lands? Power, prestige, and glory only isolated him from the world. He never wanted this, if not for the chance to take Leng Qinxue back again.

“Ah-Xue, you still haven’t told me your decision yet. Please…" Huangfu Rongjin's words faded away as his wish grew unintelligible, just as a shooting star streaked across the sky.

A moment later, Leng Qinxue’s eyelashes stirred imperceptibly.

And then one of his fingers twitched.

 

🌑

 

Author's Account:

Ruyi

Author's Note:

Trying to cram an entire story in 5.5k words was a challenge. In fact, I don't think I'm completely done, so maybe I'll expand it to publish a "full version" someday. For now, I leave you with this post-story tidbit:

Extra: "The Protagonist"

Spoiler

Yang Jixian had been reborn on the day of his execution.

The flash of pain from being beheaded still lingered, and he periodically massaged his neck as he followed the throng of travelers and merchants heading for Yue Kingdom. In his last life, he'd been too hasty to usurp the throne and raised the crown prince's suspicions, thus leading to an early death. The conniving bastard had even framed him for murdering his youngest brother! This time he'd be more careful—maybe ally with the second or third prince, or pin the fourth prince's death on one of them. Even reaching out to the slave king they kept torturing sounds like a good idea…

But his steps faltered at the top of the hill as he stared at the flag flying over the capital city's walls.

That's…the flag of Yan Kingdom?

Had he made a wrong turn? He turned towards a passerby and tugged his sleeve. "Oi, is this the Yue Kingdom's capital city Changyue?"

"Yue Kingdom?" The other shrugged him off with a laugh. "You're a foreigner, ain'tcha?"

Yang Jixian hesitated before nodding. He had been sent back in time yesterday and had yet to catch up on current events. "Why is Yan's flag flying over the city?"

The passerby tsk'd at him. "Because this is Yan territory now."

"Huh?"

"Blame Yue for being greedy. As if taking Yan's king as a slave wasn't bad enough, they even tried to frame him for poisoning the fourth prince! Luckily, the King of Yan got his army to conquer Yue and clear his name. Now both nations are united under his rule and prosperin' better than ever!"

"Then—then what about the crown prince? And the rest of the Yue royal family?"

"They just removed the crown prince's body from the gates last week," the passerby wrinkled his nose. "Nasty rotten job it was. He's probably been fed to the dogs by now. Don't know 'bout the rest, but I reckon they're locked up or dead themselves."

Something seemed to explode in Yang Jixian's head. But…so…then what was my rebirth for?

He had dreamed of climbing his way to the top as a male consort before ruling the nation in his husband's place. Now he was a widow before he even got married?!

Yang Jixian was even more stunned when news came later of the fourth prince Leng Qinxue's miraculous recovery in body and mind and his subsequent marriage to Huangfu Rongjin. The two people he'd dismissed as dead weight were now a phoenix and dragon soaring above the masses, worshiped and respected by the people.

And he, the once proud protagonist of the novel…was now nothing more than an extra.

[collapse]

 

16