It never rains in winter here – Silverty
272 20 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It never rains in winter here

by Silverty

Content enticements/warnings:

Spoiler

Drama, Slice of Life, Mentions of Homophobia

[collapse]

🌑

“Dixie NO! Stop! Hey you! Stop that dog!”

Robin, about to open his gate, turned to see Dixie, his neighbour’s little mixed breed running in his direction. He crouched down and grabbed her as she enthusiastically barrelled into him, happily giving him a few slobbery kisses.

“Hey Dixie, how are you, girl?” Robin asked as he affectionately rubbed her head. Standing up with the little short-haired dog in his arms, he looked to see a tall, brown haired man running towards them, an empty leash in his hands. He stopped in front of them and bent down, hands on his knees, a little short of breath.

Robin raised his eyebrow. The distance between his gate and the Adams, his neighbours’ gate, was less than a hundred metres. This man was out of shape.

“Sorry about that,” he gasped. “She broke off from her leash the minute she saw you…”

Robin gave a small smile. “That’s OK. Dixie and I are old friends. I take her for her walks when Melissa or John are busy.”

He looked at the man opposite him. Despite his shortness of breath, he was good looking. Squarish chin with a straight nose and expressive hazel eyes. His light brown hair was a little wavy with streaks of gold here and there.Yes, very pleasing to the eye. He also resembled Melissa a little.

“I’m sorry, you are…?” Robin asked.

“Oh sorry, I’m James, James Birde. But call me Jay.”

“Robin Wynter. You must be Melissa’s brother.”

“Yes, how did you know?” Jay looked a little surprised.

“Melissa’s always going on about her little lawyer brother in the UK. Of course she called him Jayjay…”

Jay flushed, a little embarrassed. “That’s my childhood nickname. She won’t stop calling me that…”

“No problem. You look much younger than your sister though…” Melissa and her husband, John, were in their mid to late forties. Jay looked like he was only in his early to mid thirties; just like him.

“I’m the youngest in the family. Between me and Melissa there’s another five siblings.”

“I remember. And John is the oldest of five siblings. No wonder I got adopted...”

Jay started laughing at Robin’s words. “Yeah… My sister and John are too used to taking care of people; they can’t help it. Especially when Lana and Micheal have gone to college.”

Robin gave a good natured shrug and adjusted Dixie in his arms. She squirmed a little and gave a good natured whine and doggy smile. Robin couldn’t help in and planted a kiss on her head. Then he remembered that it was a stranger in front of him and not Melissa or John.

“Sorry… She’s such a happy dog that I want to kiss and cuddle her all the time.”

Jay looked at the slightly shorter man in front of him. He had dark brown hair that was almost black, paired with eyes the same shade. His skin was tanned, evidence that he spent a lot of time in the sun. And he had a nice smile too.

Jay had a good impression of the smiley man in front of him. He wanted to chat a little longer but a sudden cold gust shocked the both of them. He forgot. It’s winter here in southern Africa, not the muggy summer of England. And he wasn’t wearing a very thick sweater.

“Brr it’s cold. Here, you’d better take Dixie and go in. We’ll catch up next time.” Robin noticed Jay’s predicament and handed the unwilling Dixie back. Then, with a cheery wave, he opened his gate and went in. Jay could only turn around and go back to his sister’s home.

***

Jay opened the door and greeted Robin with a smile.”You’re here. Come on in.”

“Thanks. I didn’t expect our later would be half an hour later” Robin smiled before taking off his coat and hanging it on the hook by the door. He then bent down to greet the ecstatic Dixie who was dancing around him. “Hi girl. How are you?”

“Hyper and loud.” muttered Jay.

Robin gave a laugh and followed Jay into the dining room, where John walked out from the kitchen with a dish of roast.

“Robin my man. Good to see you.”

“Hello John.” Robin smiled and gave his neighbour a hug after he had set the plate on the table.

“Is that you, Robbie? Come help me with the gravy.”

“Melissa, he’s our guest!” Jay was a little shocked to see his sister order Robin about.

“I stopped being a guest about a hundred dinners ago.” Robin laughed and walked into the kitchen to give Melissa a hug and help her with the tasting. “Delicious as always, Melissa.”

“Oh you. How are things on the farm?”

“All good. How are Lana and Micheal?”

“They’re fine. My sister says they’ve gone camping with some of their friends.”

“Right, it’s summer there now, hey? Must be wonderful. Not like this cold we’re getting.”

“You’re right…”

Jay was impressed with how friendly Robin was and how well he knew his sister’s family. Robin wasn’t a stranger at all.

They had a lovely dinner and Robin learned that Jay had finally visited his sister after she had threatened to share all his naked baby photos in the family chat groups. They had a good natured laugh at Jay’s expense and Jay learned that Robin had come back to the family farm a few years ago.

“I wasn’t meant for the corporate world so after trying for a while, I came back to help my uncle. Everything’s more laid back here so I guess I made the right choice.” Robin shrugged with a smile.

After dinner, Melissa sent the two of them out to walk Dixie while she and John did the dishes.

“No fair! It’s freezing out there!”

“And you’d still complain that the water’s cold if you did the dishes. Now out with you.” she shooed the two of them out of her kitchen while John shook his head as he brought the dishes to the sink.

Sighing theatrically, Robin put on his coat and grabbed the leash that was also hanging on the hook.

“Come on Dixie, let’s go.”

Dixie gave a joyful bark and was visibly squirming while she allowed Robin to hook the leash on her collar. Then, the two men went out the door.

“Are you going to be OK, wearing so little?” Robin glanced at Jay’s windbreaker on top of his shirt and sweater. He himself had an additional scarf and vest over his own shirt and sweater as well as a thick down coat for when he was outside.

Jay hunched a little with his hands in his pockets. He gave a rather sheepish smile. “I didn’t expect it to be this cold, honestly. Melissa did say to pack some warmer clothes but she didn’t say winter clothes…”

“Well you did come at the wrong time. We’re right smack in the middle of winter and this year is much colder than the previous years.” They were strolling leisurely towards the complex’s shared tennis court and swimming pool. It was already dark and far too cold for anyone to be around so they were the only ones in the area. “Why don’t you borrow some of John or Micheal’s coats?”

“Melissa said she’ll get them for me later. I only arrived last night.”

“What are your plans while you’re here?”

“I don’t know yet. Maybe I’ll help Melissa and John around the business for now.”

“You’re not going to travel and see the place?”

“I’m a city boy. I’m allergic to nature.”

“What? Really?” Robin looked so horrified Jay had to laugh.

“I’m just joking. But I’m not very fit so I have no idea if I’m up for all those outdoor activities.”

“It’s mostly outdoors, yes, but you can always go out for a drink or two in the evenings. I’m sure Melissa will think of some things for you to do. But you should really do a safari tour once. It’s incredible.”

Jay didn’t commit to anything. He just gave a smile and a “We’ll see”, effectively ending the conversation and putting them in an awkward silence. Robin could only look around, at the glittering stars above him.

They walked side by side, although Robin was constantly being tugged ahead by Dixie. After they had made a circuit around the communal areas, it was time to go back. Then Robin led Dixie to the back garden where she dutifully did her business in a designated spot.

“Ok Melissa, I’ll see you around.” Robin called after washing his hands.

“You’re not going to stay for some coffee?”

“No… I’ve got some errands I need to run in the morning. So I need to stop at the farm even earlier.” Robin gave Melissa a reluctant smile. He couldn’t exactly tell her that her brother made him uncomfortable earlier.

“That’s too bad. But we’ll be holding a braai1barbecue this weekend to welcome Jayjay. Come, ok?”

“Sure. Let me know if you need any help.”

“All right. Goodnight Robbie.”

“Goodnight.” He gave Melissa and John a hug and a cordial wave at Jay before going home.

***

“Have we got everything?”

‘I think we’re missing the beer. And snacks.”

“OK”

Robin pushed the shopping cart while Jay checked the shopping list in his hand. Right after he had gotten back from the farm, Melissa had called him and asked if he could help with some last minute shopping for the braai party with Jayjay while she got the other things ready with John.

Robin had to agree. He did promise earlier. While he still felt a little awkward around Jay, it didn’t diminish his initial good impression of him. And to be frank; he had been a little too nosy by half. Given his own messy background, he wouldn’t like people prying into his private life either.

“Right, let’s go.” Robin said after they paid and loaded all their shopping into his truck. It was a silent drive before Jay spoke.

“Did I… do something to offend you?”

“What? No. What makes you say that?”

“You’ve been so quiet the whole way. Not like before.”

“Oh…” they lapsed into silence again before Robin admitted it.

“I thought I had offended you by being too nosy the other day. I thought I had better just keep quiet.”

“Gosh, I’m so sorry! I’m a lawyer so confidentiality becomes second nature. I don’t really like to tell people anything.”

“I see…” No, Robin didn’t quite see. He knew a few lawyers and they were as garrulous as he was. They didn’t chat about work but he knew everything else about their private lives. Jay just didn’t want to talk to him.

“It’s really cloudy today. Do you think it will rain later?” Jay asked, looking out the window.

“I’m not sure. Normally it never rains in winter here but this year has been different.”

“Is it because of global warming, you think?”

“Frankly, I don’t know. We’ve had droughts the past few years. This is a first for me too.”

“How many years have you lived here?”

“About five. The rest of the family’s still in the UK.”

“So you were born and raised there?”

“No. I lived here until the early 2000s. It got a little unsafe for us so my dad packed us up to live there while he and my granddad stayed behind.” He never saw his father again though.

Jay looked at Robin from the side. He understood the silence and the unsaid words, though. John had had the same problems and it had been a few difficult years when Melissa and her children came to live with him and his parents. And when it was safe to finally go back, a lot of them had had to rebuild their lives all over again.

To this day, Jay wondered why his sister ever came back here.

“It might seem strange to you but it’s home to a lot of us. I can remember a time when things were different, better.”

And just like how Jay had understood Robin’s silence, Robin seemed to be able to read Jay’s thoughts.

“Some of the older folks have lived here for thirty, forty years. They love it here and just don’t want to leave. There’s something special here that you can’t get elsewhere and I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

“I’ve yet to see it though.” Jay muttered.

“Well, if you stick around a little longer, you might.”

***

Thankfully it didn’t rain that night, although the power did go out. John just nonchalantly started the generator and the lights and music that had suddenly died came back to life. But as it got later, it got too cold; even with the braai stand and fire pits that had been scattered around the garden. Soon everyone started leaving.

Finally, it was just Robin helping Jay and the Adams to clear up.

“Leave the stand and fire pit for tomorrow. The ashes are still hot.”

“OK. Shall I throw out the rubbish?”

“Please. I don’t want Dixie biting through the bags during the night.”

Robin deftly tied up the rubbish bags and both he and Jay walked to the communal rubbish bins by the complex gate. After properly disposing of the bags, Robin started walking quickly back home when he noticed that Jay was not beside him. He turned to see him strolling at a more leisurely pace.

“Aren’t you cold?” Robin rubbed his hands together before sliding them under his armpits.

“If we go back now, what are the odds that Melissa is going to make us do more chores?”

Robin gave a wry smile. It was obvious that Jay disliked chores. Maybe it was because he was the youngest and probably never had to do much of it while he was growing up. When all’s said and done though, it was just too cold to loiter. So he grabbed Jay’s right arm with both hands and gave him a smile.

“Come on, we can do the chores tomorrow. I’m freezing.”

Jay looked at Robin in a bit of a daze. Robin’s hands were much colder than his; no wonder he wanted to go back indoors. Above them, the gloomy clouds had already dispersed, leaving only the stars in the sky. But Jay privately thought that Robin’s smile was much brighter.

***

“No more… hah- I’m going to die…”

“Oh stop being a baby. We’re almost at the top.”

Against Jay’s better judgement, Robin had managed to convince him to go hiking this morning. Besides having to wake up at an ungodly hour (for Jay anyway), Jay had never expected to climb to be so steep. Even with the help of the sturdy tree branches along the trail to help him climb, Jay was soon out of breath.

“Why… hah- are you… hah- doing this… hah-hah to me?!”

“Melissa said you were doing nothing but be a lazybones at home. She thought some fresh air would do you good.”

It wasn’t fair that Robin wasn’t even sweating let alone out of breath. Wearing sunglasses and a cap, Robin was dressed simply in a long sleeved shirt, shorts and a pair of sturdy shoes. There was an additional jacket that he had tied around his waist and a pair of jeans that Robin had left in the car. Jay had to admit that he had choked a little when he saw him strip off his jeans after they had got to the parking lot. Robin really hated the cold, it seems.

“Come on, the sooner we finish the climb, the sooner we can go back for breakfast.”

“I really… can’t…” And as if to prove his point, Jay suddenly winced and doubled over in pain. He had pulled his calf muscle.

“Are you ok?” Robin went over to have a look. He tentatively touched Jay’s calf. The muscle was rock hard and twitched when he touched it. Hearing Jay’s hiss, Robin quickly let go.

“Looks like you really can’t do it after all… take a rest and massage your leg. And when it feels better, we’ll go back down. But you’re really out of shape…”

“It looks like I am…” Jay looked so gloomy and upset it took Robin some effort not to break out into laughter. Why was this man so opposed to exercise?

After the short break and Jay’s constant rubbing, the cramp loosened and slowly, with him leaning on Robin, they finally managed to make it back to the parking lot. Nobody said anything about the close contact during the descent but maybe, something inside changed.

***

“Jay? What are you doing out here?” Robin had driven home from the farm to see Jay loitering outside the main gate of the housing complex. There was no security guard since every household had their own remote. Guests on the other hand could ring up the house they wanted through the intercom.

“Robin. Thank God! I went out for a jog but I didn’t bring the keys or my phone. I didn’t know Melissa and John would go out!”

“Get in the car. How long have you been waiting?” It was getting dark and the temperature was dropping.

“I don’t know. Half an hour? More?” Jay was rubbing his hands together and putting them against the heater.

“Why didn’t you ring up the other neighbours? They could have let you into the compound at least.”

“... I forgot… but if John and my sister aren’t in, I can’t get into the house anyway.”

Robin shook his head and drove them home. He hurriedly let them into his house and turned on the heater before he called Melissa.

“Bad news. John’s brother had an accident and they drove out of town to see him. Melissa tried calling you and left a message on your phone. She didn’t know you didn’t bring the keys or your phone.” Robin said when he hung up.

“So I’m locked out?”

“Obviously you’ll spend the night with me. We’re about the same size so I’ll lend you some clothes. You can take a shower and warm up first.”

“Thanks.”

After that, Robin passed him a towel and a change of clothes along with a whole box of underwear. Jay raised his eyebrow at him.

“So you know they’re new and so that you can choose which colour you want.” Robin flashed him a cheeky smile. “I’m going to make dinner. Is pasta OK with you?”

“Anything’s good.”

“OK then.”

After he was done showering, Jay felt much better. The hot shower did the trick to warm him up. When he was done, he finally remembered something.

“Robin! We forgot about Dix-” Jay paused in the kitchen to see his family’s brown and white dog begging Robin for scraps. “Dixie??? How did she get here?”

Robin smiled at Jay’s incredulity. “She sometimes sneaks under the bushes and runs away. I think she got hungry and came looking for food.”

“I suppose she’s smarter than she looks.”

“Either that or she had no faith in you.”

“Hey!”

Robin gave a laugh and pointed to the pantry door. “There’s a few cans of dog food and Dixie’s dishes. Can you feed her, please?”

Jay saw that Robin was tending to something on the stove. He opened the pantry door and found Dixie’s supplies in a box on the floor of the pantry. “Why do you have cans of dog food with you?”

“John and Melissa sometimes go out of town like this and leave Dixie with me. It’s always a good idea to have some food and treats for when she needs to stay.”

Jay fed Dixie while Robin finished up the pasta. Then they brought both plates and the cutlery to the dining table. “Sorry, I don’t usually entertain.”

Unlike the eight seater at his sister’s house, Robin’s table could only seat four and looked very tiny in the dining room of the same size. Which was why Jay could see that Robin also turned a part of it into a reading nook with an oversized armchair and ottoman by the fireplace and a bookshelf where his sister had a display cabinet for her extra dishes. While his sister’s room was a little cramped, Robin’s felt cosy and lived in. In fact, even if he were to put another armchair here, it would still feel comfortable.

Jay stopped his thoughts with a start. Why would Robin need another armchair in here? It was obvious guests sat in the living room, not here. This was Robin’s private space after all. He joined Robin at the dining table in a bit of a daze.

They finished dinner and after tidying up, moved to the living room to watch some TV. It felt much more comfortable to be here than at his sister’s place for some reason. But it was all the same. The TV was on, Dixie was snuggled on his lap and there was another person in the room with him. But he didn’t feel like an outsider; not here.

“That’s strange, who could that be?” Robin was surprised by the ring of the intercom. He got up to answer it. “Hello? Mom?? Wait, let me open the gate.”

“Something the matter?”

“My mother came over.”

“Does she live here?”

“No, she’s supposed to be in the UK with my brother and his family.”

Robin went over to open the door when he heard someone at the gate. “Mum, why didn’t you tell me you were coming? I could have picked you up at the airport.”

“Nonsense. If I told you, you’d have run away. I hardly ever see you nowadays. And how are-”

Mrs Wynter, who had been talking to Robin froze when she saw Jay peeking from the living room. Her face turned a ghastly white and Jay, sensing something wrong, hurriedly withdrew.

“Who’s that? Robin! You didn’t get another boyfriend, did you?? You promised!”

Mrs Wynter suddenly went hysterical and grabbed her adult son by the arms, tears threatening to pour. She appeared to be overwrought by Jay’s appearance and his somewhat casual attire.

“Mum! That’s Melissa Birde’s younger brother! Spencer Adams had an accident so John and Melissa went out of town to see him. They didn’t know they had locked James out. I’m just letting him stay over until they come back tomorrow. Look! Even Dixie is here.”

Robin grabbed his mother to calm her down, his face flushed and he was almost as agitated as her. He should have known this would happen. His mother calmed down at his words and then became emotional again after she realised what had happened.

“Oh no… Why did I say that out loud? Oh, your reputation Robbie…” now tears were streaming for real.

Robin sighed and pulled his mother into an embrace. It didn’t matter if Jay had heard. For him, his mother came first.

***

“Here, you can sleep in the guest room.”

“What about you or your mother?” Jay was pretty sure not all of the three rooms upstairs were bedrooms.

“My mother will sleep in my room. I’ll sleep in the study or the sofa downstairs.”

“I’m the one who should sleep on the sofa. You take the bed.”

“No. No matter what, you’re still a guest.”

“There are two single beds here. Why don’t we just take one each and call it a night?”

“... are you sure?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“...”

“It’s going to be cold in the living room.” Jay used his final weapon.

“... All right.”

They lay in their respective beds in the dark, neither saying a word. Finally Robin broke the silence.

“Aren’t you going to ask?”

“It’s your business, isn’t it? I don’t want to pry.”

There was more silence before Robin gave a sigh. “My mum caught me kissing my boyfriend a few years ago. She was so distraught and made me break up with him. Then she began getting very suspicious of everything I did and who I was going out with. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore and came here.”

“Wouldn’t that make her even more suspicious?”

“She seems to think that there’s no such thing as homosexuality here. And she made me swear not to get another partner, unless it was a woman.”

“Why did you agree?”

“My mother fell sick and was hospitalised. I felt so guilty that I just agreed.”

They lapsed back into silence before Jay spoke up. “I think you’re stronger than me, though.”

“Huh?”

“Melissa was joking the other day but the real reason I came here was because I went through an awkward divorce. My wife left me for another woman.”

After that bombshell, Jay explained further.

“She and I were alike. We weren’t attracted to the opposite sex but we were too afraid of what society would say. So we put on this charade for so long. Even to the extent of getting married. Then she fell in love for real and we divorced amicably. But my family was angry at the betrayal and then her family got angry at my family and then things that shouldn’t be said got said and it became a circus.”

“Melissa stood by me and told me to come over to cool my head. Things were getting uncomfortable over there anyway and I had nothing to lose… In the end, maybe this is for the better.”

“... Do you regret it?”

“I don’t know… I was young, confused and afraid when I did what I did. Coming out is never easy. Especially if the people around you don’t understand. But things are getting better now, more open and accepting. So what I did in the past may have been stupid, but at least I know I won’t have to hide it anymore.”

They tacitly dropped the subject but it was a long time before either of them fell asleep.

***

“Come on, we’re almost there.”

“That’s what you said fifteen minutes ago! Hah-hah.”

It had been two weeks since Robin’s mother came unannounced and Jay was leaving tomorrow. But before he left, he had wanted to challenge the hiking trail one more time. This time, Jay did much better and they actually reached the summit.

“See? Not so bad, right?”

“Hah-hah… I’ll let you know after I come back to life. Hah-hah…”

Robin gave a laugh and turned to enjoy the scenery. Breathing in the cold air, he gave a shudder but smiled. This was where he would come whenever he was feeling down. The locals treated it as a spiritual place and he had to admit that there was something very calming about this place. He soon felt Jay standing beside him.

“You’re right, it’s beautiful.”

“I knew you’d like it.” Robin turned and was a little surprised at how close they were. They looked at each other and Jay lowered his head for a kiss. But Robin raised his hand to stop him.

“I… promised my mother.”

“This isn’t fair. Or right”

“She’s been through so much. This is the least I can do.”

Jay looked at Robin’s clear, steadfast eyes and finally turned away with a sigh. “You really are stronger than me,” he muttered. And stubborn too.

“Not really. I just think my family is more important. My then boyfriend didn’t stick around after that either. So rather than the uncertain love of a stranger, I’d rather the certain one I already have.”

They didn’t say anything on the way back and the next day, Robin left for the farm early as if refusing to say goodbye. He left Jay a small hand carved dog as a gift though. It looked a little like Dixie. And the afternoon when Jay left, the cloudy sky that had been ominous all winter gave up its burdens and drenched the world, leaving it cold. It never rains in winter here but for some reason, this time it did.

***

“Brrr, it’s cold, hey Dixie? No wonder your owner would rather I take you for your walks.” Robin stamped his feet and rubbed his hands together as he brought the hyper little dog up her owner’s gate.

“You’re back Robbie?” Melissa smiled as she opened the door.

“Yes. She’s had her walk so she’s all yours now.” Robin returned her smile and handed Dixie’s leash to her.

“Do you want to come in for some tea? I have some biscuits in the oven.”

“I’d love to but the farm accounts aren’t going to do themselves.”

A whole year had passed since Jay went back and it was now winter all over again. Robin never mentioned Jay but Melissa continued to feed him tidbits about her little brother whenever he came over for dinner or a chat.

Never had Robin’s promise to his mother feel as heavy as it did now. What he had thought was an easy burden to bear made him listless and preoccupied most of the time. But still he kept his word, despite the suffocating cold and emptiness inside.

The number that he had exchanged with Jay remained silent as no calls or messages came or went. Life went on.

“That’s a shame. Tell you what, I’ll send a batch over when they’re ready. At least you’ll have a treat for when you’re done.”

“That sounds lovely. Thanks Melissa.”

“No, I should be thanking you. For everything.”

“You’re like family to me. What’s there to thank?”

“... You’re right. See you then, Robbie.” Melissa gave Robin a smile and wave as he walked back home.

***

It took Robin nearly two hours to finish his accounts. By then, the evening sky had already gone dark and the chill was also more noticeable. Robin stretched and realised that Melissa still had not arrived with the promised biscuits. He was slightly worried now and was about to grab his coat and go over when he heard a knock at the door. He sighed in relief.

“Melissa, thank God. I was about to go over-” Robin stood stupefied at the door. Instead of Melissa like he had expected, Jay stood in front of him with a plate of biscuits.

“Sorry, my flight got delayed… Can I… come in?”

“Yes, of course. Come in.” Robin mechanically stood to one side to allow Jay entry before taking the biscuits from his hand.

Jay had followed Robin into the dining room. It seemed that Robin had done his work here instead of the study upstairs. The table was littered with files and there was a cosy fire in the fireplace. The room was warm and friendly.

“You know, I’ve always liked this room of yours. And I always felt that all that was missing was another chair for your partner.”

“Thanks… ”

“Robin, let’s talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.”

“There is. I want to give us a try. A proper relationship.”

“You know I promised my mother.”

“What if I told you I have her permission?”

“What?” Robin whipped around to look at him in incredulity.

“I got your mother’s permission to start a relationship with you. That’s why I’m here.” Seeing Robin’s shocked face, Jay went to him. Holding both hands in his, Jay smiled gently as he looked into Robin’s eyes.

“You…”

“It wasn’t easy, let me tell you. I had to go see her everyday since I went back. I’m lucky she lived nearby.”

“What? How…”

“Melissa got your mother’s address for me. Then I went to see her everyday to beg her to change her mind. She nearly called the police several times.”

“You…”

“Fortunately your brother and sister-in-law were on my side. But even then it took this long to get her blessing. She’s as stubborn as you.”

“You’re crazy…”

“I think I must be. But I finally understand how my ex-wife felt.”

That love was crazy and illogical. That it defied reason and overcame fears. Love could kill you or make you stronger. And it struck randomly like lightning.

“Robin, please say yes and put me out of my misery. Oh, and if you don’t, we’re going to get it from Melissa.”

“No fair bringing Melissa up.”

“This is the hardest case that I’ve fought in my entire legal career. I need to win and I’ll use any means necessary.” The serious words did not match the gentle smile and teasing look in his eyes. Robin choked a little and gave a little laugh.

“Your family…”

“Have accepted that this will be who I am. Plus, I have Melissa backing me.”

There were no more excuses. “Yes…”

After which Robin was enveloped in an embrace that had him feeling the warmest he had felt all winter.

This year, the winter was far milder in comparison to last year. This year, there were no clouds to blot out the sky. Instead, the stars twinkled overhead and bore witness to another happy ending.

END

🌑

 

Author's Account:

Silverty

Author's Note:

I know it’s supposed to be a summer anthology but it’s winter where I am so I blame geography (LOL).

The incident mentioned in the middle of the story is based on the land reform incident that happened from 2000 until 2004. During that time, because of a policy announced by the President, the local blacks started invading and forcibly tried to take the farm lands of white farmers which resulted in violence and killings, while the local police mostly turned a blind eye.

I know I glossed over that fact (and maybe exaggerated some of it) but it’s a short story and the focus was meant to be on Robin and Jay and their happy ending. These two will have their ups and downs but I do hope they grow old together. ^^

Also, the initial title I had thought up was “Birds fly south for the winter” but it wasn’t suitable in the end. However, do enjoy the corny line that had made me think of this title in the first place:

*Jay shows up at Robin’s doorstep*

Robin: What are you doing here?

Jay: Don’t birds fly south for the winter? I’m a Birde, after all.

Robin: Birds fly south to avoid the winter, not embrace it.

*Hugs* Jay: Not this Birde.

9