Summer Magnolia – K_Jira
262 12 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Summer Magnolia

by K_Jira

Content enticements/warnings:

Spoiler

Fluff, Drama, Modern, Supernatural, Loss of Friends and Loved Ones, Festival and Food

[collapse]

🌑

"Dead…?" Aoiwa Sho froze in place hearing the answer from the bike shop owner.

Because of some financial circumstances, his family decided to move back to their hometown. He grew up on this island until high school and moved out at the end of his first year.

Now that he was back after 7 years, of course, the first one he wanted to meet up with was his childhood friend.

But when he asked about the whereabouts of the Minagashi family since he couldn't find their house at their old address, the bike shop owner told him that the family was already gone 3 years ago.

He said that Minagashi Taiga went missing in a rainstorm and his parents got into an accident while searching for him. Taiga was found in the woods in a critical state the next day. It was too late to save him.

Minagashi Taiga was his childhood friend even before they entered elementary school.

They lost contact when he left the island since the signal and network service on the island was almost non-existent.

He regretted it deeply.

He could've at least sent letters to Taiga to ask about his well-being. Now, he couldn't even ask that simple question anymore.

Sho asked about the location of their graves and the bike shop owner drew him the direction in a small slip of paper. He thanked him and went to buy flowers first.

To be honest, his heart still couldn't catch up with the fact that his closest friend has passed away for more than 3 years. He ended up staring at the flowers in front of him blankly.

"Aoiwa-kun?"

Sho looked up to see a girl with a loose ponytail coming out of the shop, "…Kataka Chie-san?"

"Yes! You still remember me? I'm glad," Chie smiled in relief, "I didn't know you came to visit here. Since when?"

"Ah…I just arrived yesterday," Sho weakly answered.

He wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, including his former classmate. He pointed at the sunflowers.

"Can I have a bouquet of those, please?"

He still remembered that Taiga liked sunflowers the most. He said that sunflowers announced the arrival of their summer break which was why he liked it.

On the contrary, he didn't like cherry blossoms since they symbolized their aging. Taiga was just that kind of person.

"Right away," Chie started picking the best ones among them, "Are you going to stay here for the summer?"

"I'm returning here permanently with my family."

"Really? You should meet the others then. I'm sure they'll be excited to hear that. When are you free?"

"I'm not sure," Sho looked up at the jingling wind chime.

When they were kids, Taiga once hung more than 10 wind chimes in his home. He believed he could lure the cool breeze towards them with wind chimes since he thought that the wind liked to play music using them.

Sho sighed heavily in his heart. He definitely would have a hard time for a while. Every corner and everything on the island reminded him of Taiga. They spent half of their life together. The memory he has of him was endless.

He accepted the wrapped bouquet and left after paying for it. Passing by a small mart, he bought Taiga's favorite orange soda and incense there. He arrived at the grave 10 minutes later.

Seeing Taiga's name on the tombstone hit Sho with the undeniable reality. His hand clenched the flower and plastic bag in his hand as his body trembled. He sniffled and held back his tears.

Kneeling down, he placed the flowers and orange soda before burning the incense.

"Taiga…you're as carefree as ever. Leaving me like this…there's a limit of how unreasonable you can be. Didn't I tell you to be careful without me to watch over you? Now that I've returned, who will be by my side with you gone? Ugh…" Sho choked and wiped off his tears with his sleeve, "I'm sorry for not keeping in contact with you. I'm sorry…"

He spent a long time at Taiga's grave, telling him all the things that happened in the 7 years they separated.

How his high school life was, what major he entered at university, the unreasonable boss he got at his part-time job, and other major and trivial things.

Seeing that he was out of incense and that the sky had long gone dark, Sho stood up, "I'll come back tomorrow. I don't care if you get annoyed by me, but it's your turn to listen to me. I've always been the one listening to you for 15 years after all."

The next day, he brought some cleaning equipment with him and cleaned the Minagashi family grave.

Yesterday, he forgot to bring offerings for Taiga's parents from how overwhelmed he was by the news. Today, he made sure he also bought a bouquet for them each and prayed for them properly.

When he finished, he continued recounting from where he left off yesterday and went back home late. His mother knew what he had been doing since yesterday and only told him that he could heat up his dinner which was put in the fridge.

Going back to his room, he opened his closet to pick a change of clothes. It was then he noticed the big card box at the back corner of his closet.

"?"

Sho pulled the card box out and opened the seal. He found several trinkets, posters, photo frames, an album, and his old journal. He remembered now that there were some things he left behind here since his mother said only to bring their essentials when moving out. He especially kept this box in his room to avoid getting it mixed up with the other things in the storage shed.

Taking out the album, his and Taiga's name was written sloppily on the cover by them with a black marker. Inside it were pictures of them their parents printed out for them.

The number of pictures increased during their middle school year after Taiga's parents gifted him a camera for his birthday. They would always print them together every end of the month at the old camera shop near the entrance of the temple.

The pictures taken by Taiga's camera only have both of them in them. He never wanted to use it for group pictures however their friends begged him. He said that printing multiple one specific photo for them was too troublesome.

Sho touched a photo of them laughing at one another with nostalgia. Whether it was under the glaring summer heat or amidst the freezing cold of winter, they had always been by each other's side.

Once he reached the end, he put it aside and took out his journal. He liked keeping records of the things he did and every shenanigan Taiga pulled him into, especially writing down every time Taiga promised him something since that guy would definitely forget about it a week later.

He was skimming through it when he found a particular page with many ugly and random doodles of ghosts there. His attention was caught by a word at the end written in red.

'Today, I went to the camera shop to develop the film with Taiga as usual. There was a group of people there we've never met before. It seems like they are tourists, but they didn't look like the tourists we've seen in the travel magazine at grandma's mart. We listened in on them on our way in and they were saying something about a ritual to call the dead?'

Reading the page next to it, there was a continuation of it.

'Turns out the college students from yesterday weren't crazy. There really is a local legend about how the ancestors of this island used to call the dead when there were unsolvable problems on the island. The dead know everything they said. The ritual can be done at midnight by walking from the temple to the beach while holding a candle. It would be a success if the candle stays lit once we reach the beach. As expected, Taiga wants to try it. Ah…I'm not really good with scary stuff. Taiga will definitely mess with me tomorrow.'

'Well, nothing happened last night except for Taiga being a jerk. No surprise there. I'm a bit relieved actually. Taiga was disappointed though. I'll still bring him for purification after school later.'

Now that he read it, he recalled that something like this did happen. He wasn't as scared of ghosts as in the past, but back then, Taiga often jumped out on him to give him heart attacks. He almost fell down the stairs once because of him.

Sho looked at the clock on the wall and went to take a bath.

At 11 PM, he got out of his bed. Bringing a candle, a lighter, and his phone with him, he left his house. His parents have already gone to sleep at this time of the night.

He slipped out silently.

The island was moderately cold at night even if it was summer. It would be colder later in autumn and freezing in winter.

The people of the town slept around 10 PM regularly and it was very quiet all around him. He could only hear the crying of the insects and summer bugs accompanying his walk. He and Taiga often hunted for beatles when they were kids.

He reached the torii gate and climbed up the steps after a bow. The temple wasn't that big, but it was well taken care of. He cleaned his hands and mouth and briefly prayed after giving an offering. Once he finished, he waited there until midnight came.

He knew himself that this was stupid, but if there was a chance for him to talk to Taiga again at least once, he wanted to try it. Taiga would definitely laugh at him if he knew he was doing something like this.

When the time struck midnight, Sho got up from the bench and lit up the candle. The flickering orange flame gave a faint warmth to his face. Its flickering motion from the breeze was a bit worrisome though.

He took a deep breath and started his walk while covering the flame from the wind. The drippings of the candle wax accumulated on his hand as he continued his steps toward the beach. It was quite hot at first, but he got used to it soon.

The candle had melted more than two-thirds of it when he finally reached the beach. Thankfully, he didn't encounter anyone or anything throughout his journey. Not even the cry of insects was heard.

Somehow, he had a feeling that this was going to work.

He stood at the shore and watched the pitch-black sea. The lighthouse was on the other side of the beach near the port, so there was nothing lighting up this part of the sea except for the little flame in his hand.

"Taiga…" Sho hesitated for a second and continued with a heavy sigh, "I know I look ridiculous right now. I don't even know what I am doing. But, if you're here watching me, I…Can I see you?"

He waited for 5 minutes, but there was no sign of anything appearing. Although he was disappointed, he didn't really expect much to begin with. His expectant shoulders lowered as he turned to leave. It was then, his ears picked up a faint whisper from behind him.

"…Sho."

"!!"

Sho's eyes widened and he instantly looked back. There, with his legs submerged into the water, was a dark silhouette of a person looking at him. He couldn't see the person's face, but from that call alone, he was sure that it was Taiga from his voice.

"Taiga?" Sho hurriedly walked into the water, "Taiga, is that you?"

The silhouette didn't react to his calls. It was as if it was bound in place and couldn't move. Still, it called out to him as relentlessly as him.

Suddenly, his arm was caught from behind. His body was jerked back by the hand and hit whoever was pulling him. The two of them fell down to the water from the impact. With that, the candle in his hand was extinguished.

"What are you doing!? Don't you know the sea is dangerous at night!?"

Sho looked up to see the silhouette was gone. He turned his head and found it was an unknown bespectacled man who pulled him back. He couldn't see his face clearly, but he seemed slightly older than him.

The man helped Sho up and dragged him out of the water. When he saw the candle in Sho's hand, he immediately understood. He sighed and covered Sho with his jacket suit he took off earlier with his shoes.

"Let's get you dried and cleaned first, alright? My house is right over there," the man pointed at a one-floor house nearby.

Sho didn't want to stain his house later, so he silently nodded. He took one last look at the sea before following the man to his house.

An hour later, Sho stepped out of the bathroom wearing the clothes the man lent him. Now that he had washed up, his head somewhat cooled down. True, that the silhouette's voice he heard was just like Taiga's in his memory, but after 4 years, his voice should've changed, right?

Finding the man waiting for him in the living room, he gratefully bowed, "Thank you very much for helping me. I'm truly sorry for the trouble I caused."

"Anyone would've done the same. Luckily, I was passing by," the man gave him a cup of warm milk with honey, "Here, it'll warm you up."

"Thank you," Sho sat down on the sitting cushion and accepted it.

"I haven't introduced myself, have I? My name is Fuyutsuki Ryouma. I'm a high school teacher here."

"I'm Aoiwa Sho. I previously lived here and moved out. I returned here with my family a few days ago," Sho politely nodded.

"Earlier, you were doing that ritual to call the dead, weren't you? I didn't think there would be anyone who still remembers that legend."

Sho nodded, "I did it out of impulse."

"That ritual is dangerous if not done correctly. If your heart is weak, evil spirits will lure you into the sea to replace them. Please don't do it again," Ryouma warned.

Sho looked up, "Fuyutsuki-san also knows about that?"

"My grandfather was a priest here. I know a thing or two. It surprised me more knowing that someone younger than me knows it."

"Fuyutsuki-san doesn't look that old though."

"I'm turning 32 this year. Aoiwa-kun is probably a college student, right?"

"No, I graduated last year," Sho finished his drink, "I think it's time for me to leave."

Ryouma looked at the time, "Yes, it's already so late. I'll accompany you back."

"I can't bother you that much."

"I'm worried the spirits are still aiming for you. You should get purified tomorrow."

"My clothes…"

"You can get it back tomorrow after they dried. My washing machine doesn't have a drier function, unfortunately. I already hung them up when you took a shower earlier."

Ryouma locked his front door and followed Sho back to his home. He had actually seen this youth yesterday at the graveyard, talking to one of Minagashi family graves. From the name he was calling out earlier, he must be an acquaintance of Minagashi Taiga.

No, an acquaintance would be an underestimation. They must be very close for this youth to try calling his spirit through the ritual. For the ritual to succeed, Sho must've been desperate enough to want to see him.

Sho pointed at his house, "That's my place. Thank you for accompanying me."

"You're too polite. This is your third time thanking me," Ryouma subconsciously patted Sho's head and smiled, "You're welcome."

Sho slightly stiffened from the sudden gesture, but he didn't avoid it. He looked away in embarrassment, "…I'm not that younger than you, Fuyutsuki-san."

"Ah–" Realizing what he just did, Ryouma hurriedly pulled his hand away, "Sorry, it's a habit with my student."

"It's alright," Sho slightly bowed, "Then, I'll be leaving first. Good night, Fuyutsuki-san."

"Good night, Aoiwa-kun. Don't forget to dry your hair."

Sho lightly chuckled and faintly smiled at Ryouma, "Yes, Sensei."

Ryouma's heart skipped a beat. He watched Sho enter his house before leaving himself. Touching his rapidly beating heart, he went home with Sho's smiling image stuck in his mind.

Sho should smile more. It was a pity for such a beautiful smile to be hidden away. And did Sho tease him earlier?

It was…pretty cute.

The next day, Sho went to the graveyard again. When he entered, he saw Ryouma who had just finished praying on another grave. The bespectacled man looked up and their eyes met.

"Good morning, Aoiwa-kun."

"Good morning, Fuyutsuki-san," Sho looked at the tombstone, "This is…"

"My father. He was caught in a rainstorm when he was fishing. We couldn't find the body though, so this grave is basically empty. Today is his anniversary."

Rainstorm…

Sho burned a few incenses and plucked one sunflower from his bouquet for Ryouma's father. He also prayed briefly for him.

"Thank you, Aoiwa-kun."

Sho turned to Taiga's grave, "I also lost a precious person in a rainstorm. At least, that was what I'm told."

"You know the Minagashi family?"

"Taiga is my childhood friend. I'm also close with his parents."

Ryouma followed Sho to the Minagashi family grave. He saw that there were already 2 bouquets of sunflowers and 2 orange sodas at Taiga's grave and a chrysanthemum bouquet on each of his parent's graves. Their graves were also as clean as new.

He knew that Sho would spend a long time here. Before he excused himself, he remembered something.

"Aoiwa-kun, the Obon Festival is in 2 days. There will be food and game stalls opened near the temple. Are you going to come?"

Sho initially didn't plan to since he didn't have anyone to go with, so he shook his head, "I think I'll just be here."

"That won't do. Many things have changed in the last 5 years. There will even be fireworks. It will be a pity if you don't experience the liveliness," Ryouma patted himself, "I can show you around. I'm a regular attendee there."

Sho couldn't help but smile, "What do you mean 'a regular attendee', Fuyutsuki-san? Are you a kid?"

Seeing Sho's positive reaction, Ryouma unknowingly felt happy as well. He smiled, "What do you say? Will you accompany this kid to play, Aoiwa-kun?"

Sho looked back at Taiga's grave. He thought for a while and eventually nodded, "If you're fine with me, Fuyutsuki-san."

Taiga would also want him to play rather than mope all day.

"Then, let's meet up here at 6 PM."

–––

Ryouma looked at the time on his watch. It was still 10 minutes earlier than their agreed time. He didn't want Sho to wait for him since he was the older one, but was coming thirty minutes earlier too much?

Sho walked up the slope towards the graveyard. If it wasn't for his mother forcing him to wear a yukata, he would have already arrived by now. Not to mention, this was his father's old yukata. Ah…he felt a bit embarrassed to meet with Ryouma now.

Moreover, what if he was the only one who wore a yukata?

But his worry was unfounded when he saw Ryouma was also wearing a yukata. He sighed in relief and fastened his pace a little, "Fuyutsuki-san, sorry I'm late."

Ryouma turned his head and halted when he saw Sho was also wearing a yukata.

The deep blue yukata was tied with a black sash which tightened into Sho's slender waist. The upper part wasn't properly fitted, so he could see Sho's collarbone peeking out.

"Did you wait long?"

Ryouma quickly averted his gaze, "No, we both came 10 minutes early."

"As I thought, I look weird, don't I?" Sho fiddled with his yukata, "It's been a long time since I wear a yukata."

He also never wore a yukata when he went to festivals with Taiga since that guy didn't like wearing one. He didn't want to be the only one wearing it.

Hearing that, Ryouma looked back at Sho and said seriously, "I think you look great, Aoiwa-kun. It looks really good on you."

Sho was slightly surprised and laughed a little, "You don't have to say it so seriously, Fuyutsuki-san."

Ryouma scratched his neck in embarrassment and changed the topic, "Should we give some offering first before leaving?"

Sho nodded.

After they finished praying, they finally walked toward the festival. As Ryouma said, the stalls there really varied more than the last one he went to with Taiga.

There were snacks that he thought he could only find at the festivals in the big cities. There were also additional games aside from shooting and catching goldfish.

"Here, you should also try this," Ryouma gave Sho another food.

"Fuyutsuki-san, you're buying too much. I can't finish all this," Sho helplessly said, showing all the food in his hands.

"Ah, sorry. I got carried away…" Ryouma took some of the food to help carry them.

Sho pointed at a resting area, "Should we take a break and eat all this first?"

They sat down at a table and arranged the food on the table. Ryouma approached a stall and asked for 2 plastic plates. He gave one to Sho.

"Let's share?"

"That'll be great," Sho scanned the food in front of them, "What do you suggest I try first?"

"Hmm…I like to save the best for the last, so you should try the fried soba first."

"You're recommending me your least favorite food first?"

"It won't taste that amazing once you tried my most favorite," Ryouma whispered in a sneaky manner.

Sho smiled in amusement, "Alright."

When he tried it, it tasted different than the one he ate a long time ago.

Taiga liked fried soba the most, so he still remembered how it tasted since Taiga always got 2 portions every time he bought it. He also liked the fried soba bread from the school canteen.

He finally reached the last menu. Turns out, Ryouma's favorite food was grilled squid legs. Once he took a bite, his eyes brightened.

Ryouma chuckled, "It's good, right? I always wondered what kind of seasoning they used to make it this good. It's a family secret they said."

Sho nodded.

As he ate, he couldn't help but look at Ryouma. They had just met a few days ago, but somehow he felt comfortable with him. He was completely different from Taiga, from his aura to his favorite food, yet he managed to make him smile all the same.

Really, what a strange person. He didn't dislike it though.

"The fireworks are about to start," Ryouma stood up, "Come on, I know a good spot."

They cleaned the table and Sho followed Ryouma's lead. The street was full of people walking toward the firework viewing spot. He brought them out of the festival area and climbed the stairs to the temple.

They entered the woods covering the sides of the temple until they reached a clear area at the end of it. Not long after, the fireworks started.

Sho watched the colors bursting in the sky with fascination. It wasn't the first time he watched fireworks like this, but it was the first time he could see it this clearly. The stars were still apparent on this island and it made everything even prettier.

If Taiga was here–

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

Sho turned his head and found Ryouma smiling at him.

"Fireworks only bloomed for a few seconds before they disappeared. Wouldn't it be a waste to think about sad things in this brief, precious moment?" Ryouma patted Sho's head in comfort.

Sho was silent for a short while before he looked back up to appreciate the moment, "Mn."

Ryouma lowered his hand. He gazed at the changing colors tinting Sho's complexion and shifted them when he felt like he was staring too long.

This feeling, he had confirmed it.

–––

"Good afternoon, Aoiwa-kun."

Sho raised his head from the plants he was watering to see Ryouma greeting him from across the fence.

He smiled back, "Good afternoon, Fuyutsuki-san."

"Did you plant these flowers?"

"No, my mother did that. I'm just told to water them," Sho turned off the water and walked out to Ryouma.

"Are you busy? Have you found any work yet?"

"I work at the old camera shop near the temple now. I'm only required to come on weekdays, so I'm currently not busy. What's wrong?"

"Did you watch the news last night? It said that there will be a meteor shower around here tonight," Ryouma scratched his neck with his eyes looking away nervously, "I was thinking of asking you to see it with me."

"No, I didn't. I've never seen a meteor shower before," Sho nodded, "If you're fine with me, I'll accept your invitation, Fuyutsuki-san."

Ryouma's shoulders relaxed in relief, "Of course, I'm the one who wanted you to accompany me after all."

"You're always the one who invited me to do things," Sho thought of something, "For a change, would you like to eat lunch with me?"

Ryouma was pleasantly surprised by the invitation and immediately agreed, "I would love to."

Sho went inside to change his pants and get his wallet. His parents were currently out, so he also locked the door and gate.

"Today is hotter than usual, isn't it?" Sho flapped his collar to fan himself, "What do you say we go for some cold soba?"

"There's a shop that has that and also shaved ice. How about we go there?" Ryouma gave his handkerchief to Sho, "Here."

"Okay," Sho accepted it, "Thank you. I'll wash it later."

They went to the shop Ryouma mentioned and ordered those two menus along with the drink.

Sho had noticed this before, but Ryouma really was an attentive person. He remembered what drink he liked, he offered him the tissue before he could ask for it, and he even got him a glass of warm plain water when they started eating the shaved ice.

He wanted to pay for their food, but Ryouma already did it when he ordered earlier. However Sho wanted to pay him back, Ryouma declined it, saying that it was as a thank you for accepting his sudden invitation for tonight.

The meteor shower would happen at around 10 PM. Ryouma picked Sho up at his house around 9 o'clock for them to go together. They would need to climb up the hill to get the best view.

"We're finally here," Sho caught his breath tiredly.

"Good work, Aoiwa-kun," Ryouma gave him a bottle of water.

"Fuyutsuki-san, you don't look tired at all," Sho drank a mouthful of water.

"I'm used to climbing up this part of the hill. If we took a right at the intersection earlier, the school would be up ahead."

Sho nodded, "I know. I went there for a year."

They sat down on the grass to wait for the meteor shower. Sho laid his body down to gaze at the sky.

This starry sky was one of the things he missed from this island. The fresh air and lush greenery were also on the list. When spring came, the island would be full of blooming flowers and ripe fruits.

He looked forward to seeing that.

Ryouma lied down next to him, "Aoiwa-kun, do you know about constellations?"

Sho shook his head, "Every star looked the same to me."

"Indeed, they do."

Sho waited for a moment and turned to Ryouma, "You're not going to explain it to me?"

"No, I also don't know," Ryouma laughed, "I'm a math teacher after all, not an astrologist."

Sho blinked twice and also laughed, "Fuyutsuki-san, your question was too misleading."

Not long after the time turned 10, the meteor shower started above them. One by one, streaks of meteors passed by them.

Sho took out his phone and recorded them in wonder. It looked like shooting stars raining down continuously.

"Why don't you try making a wish?"

Sho looked at Ryouma, "Fuyutsuki-san, are you perhaps a psychic?"

Ryouma chuckled, "It's written on your face, Aoiwa-kun."

The shower went on for more than 2 hours. Ryouma tilted his head to see that Sho has fallen asleep at some unknown point in time.

Seeing Sho's tranquil sleeping face made him reluctant to wake him up. He took off his jacket and used it to cover Sho.

Just as he looked up, another meteor passed by.

"If I wish to enter your heart…" Ryouma gently touched Sho's hair, "…Will you grant it for me?"

Sho slowly opened his eyes, freezing the other in his position.

He looked up at Ryouma, "I'm not a shooting star, Fuyutsuki-san."

"…" Ryouma took back his hand, "…I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take advantage of you."

Sho sat up, "No, I've been awake since you blanketed me. I'm a light sleeper."

The two of them looked at each other in silence.

Ryouma steeled his heart, "Aoiwa-kun, I'm afraid that something like this will happen again, so I won't hide it anymore."

Sho felt his heart beat faster. Just from earlier 'accident', he could guess what Ryouma was going to say.

"Aoiwa-kun, I fell in love with you. However you want to answer this feeling of mine I will respect it and take responsibility for my own selfishness," Ryouma lowered his head apologetically, "I know it must be uncomfortable for you to hear this from another male and not to mention an old man like me. Please don't mind me and respond as you wish."

"Fuyutsuki-san…" Sho didn't think Ryouma felt this guilty about his feeling, "Please raise your head."

Ryouma slowly lifted his face, "I'm really sorry, Aoiwa-kun."

"It's not something to apologize about, Fuyutsuki-san. It's just that, in response to your feeling, I have something to tell you," Sho clutched Ryouma's jacket on his lap, "My feelings towards Taiga…wasn't purely platonic. I'm still in the process of getting over it, but it's quite a challenge since his trail from my memory is everywhere on this island."

"I understand," Ryouma stroked Sho's hair, "I'm not trying to replace him. You can take your time, Aoiwa-kun."

Sho shook his head, "That's not what I mean," he pulled Ryouma's hand down and held it, "If it's not too much of a favor, will you give me new memories to be remembered? I feel like if it's you, Fuyutsuki-san, you will be able to do it. That is if you don't mind our relationship starts from there."

Ryouma's eyes widened in astonishment. Never had he imagined that Sho would accept his confession. He gently pulled Sho into his warm embrace.

"Of course, I don't mind. I'm very honored to do so," Ryouma tightened his hold, "I promise I will make you happy and fill your memory with joyous things."

Sho returned Ryouma's hold, "Rather than joyous things, I think it will work better if they're filled with you, Fuyutsuki-san."

Ryouma nodded, "Then, I will do so," he let Sho go and cupped his face, "Can I kiss you? Or is it too fast for you?"

Sho blushed a little and closed his eyes, "Go ahead."

Ryouma carefully inched his face closer. His heart was beating erratically that he could actually hear them. Was kissing someone always felt this nerve-wracking?

Their lips softly touched. It was light and brief, but it made both of their breaths stop. Once they backed away, they couldn't help but laugh.

"Aren't we too stiff? Shouldn't you be experienced in this, Fuyutsuki-san?"

"I've never liked someone this much, so I'm really nervous right now," Ryouma scratched his neck in embarrassment.

Sho reddened from Ryouma's words, "How can you say that so straightforwardly…"

Since it was already so late, they finally decided to return home. Sho couldn't help but chuckle when Ryouma asked for permission to hold his hand.

He answered by intertwining their fingers together. Ryouma's blush was really cute. He couldn't help but tease him.

Behind them, right where they were earlier, stood a young man watching over them. The corners of his lips curved up to a tender smile.

"I wish you happiness, Sho."

---THE END---

🌑

 

Author's Account:

K_Jira

 

 

 

 

7