Chapter 125: The Silvian Conflict 3
69 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a broadcasted show was a woman named Helena Curtens. Those who know her would recognize her as the daughter of the LORES Consortium and its current President.

The interviewer asked a question regarding the invasions and attacks against their island.

“It is absurd,” Helena Curtens said. “The world saw it themselves. We were attacked. They demand such absurdness from us. They speak nonsense such as we are doing something so dangerous. Do they not forget? We are on the island as well. Even if it happens, it was us that would suffer. I’ve provided the signatures of the citizens who have agreed on this possibility. But I think you are trying to derail this discussion madam.”

She accused the interviewer.

“The netizens, the people of the world, have seen the UNLAWFUL attacks on my people. We, the people of Wisteria, have been the bastion of innovation. We have improved people. We have made machines that have made the world wealthier. May I remind you who made the pill that cured aging? Who was the one who prolonged the life of the individual?

“They forgot who my mother is. They forgot that it is through the genius of my mother that the world has come to this age. Who made the machine that fixed our problems? Or have you all forgotten who made it so the islands don’t sink? When the world was tearing itself apart. Have you all forgotten who came to stop it? And now, you accuse my mother, my family, my COUNTRY in this act of clear greed?”

The interviewer tried to stop. Helena Curtens didn’t allow her.

I know why you are all worried. Why are you all anxious about this? For you all know what it means when we make the gateways to the stars! We will build the gates, allowing us to be an interplanetary species. Their greed. Their wanting to steal OUR RESOURCES and OUR TECHNOLOGY disgusts me. And now they slander us with lies, deceit, and atrocities?

“One of our islands got attacked months ago. Many good people died. We’ve managed to stop their greed from reaching us. And now, they are still trying to penetrate the defenses of our island homes. And I believe you accused me, in your socials, that we are deploying an army of machines, and giants. Yes, we are deploying these machines to supplement our armed forces in defense against these people who are trying to take what is not theirs. We let our machines in the field fight for us, and the rest fought alongside them. They think so highly of them. Believe they are the righteous ones here?”

Helena Curten’s voice was laced with fury.

“They know better. Who is killing our people? Who is destroying our islands with their greed. Most of the islands we rightfully brought and procured legally are now under attack. They are secured, but nonetheless the truth remains. If we didn’t have the bunkers,  the defenses, they would be bleeding right now. You think of us as criminals? That we are some grand evil when the truth is displayed in front of you. We are the ones getting attacked here. And I think some of our viewers know who is responsible.”

The interviewer asked if there are negotiations being done. Helena Curtens settled down.

“We have allies protecting our interest. TRUE ALLIES who have come to understand our right to bear arms, and protect our island homes. We have started negotiations and are undergoing diplomacy and yet it seems they would rather fight and be bullheaded.”

There are images shown of the allies protecting the Wisterians. Soldiers deployed to their homes and joined the Wisterian Soldiers.

“These are good people with good morals. They know we are righteous in our self-defense against these invaders. These self-righteous fools who have deluded themselves that they are right and we are wrong. I believe we have the right to expand to the stars. They fear our advances, and they have grown greedy in the name of profit. You think of innovation and you’d hear the name of the Consortium that my dear mother has built. Through her genius we can live fulfilling lives. We can prolong our lifespans and be efficient.”

The interviewer interrupted. Questioning the weapons and machinery made by the Wisterian. To this, Helena Curtens laughed as if she found it such a joke.

“Our intentions are clear, and because we know that there will be a day where greed will come to us that we have prepared. You people accuse this as preparing for war, but when did we start one? You may read our history, from allies to foes. Tell me, have we started a fight? All our actions came from self-defense.  We fight because we were not given a choice. The world seems to think we are easily bullied, but I promise you this. We are not. My people believed in the goodness we follow. Our missions and visions for the world have made impacts. So tell me, why, we, the innovators, the men and women are now accused, slandered, and attacked and the world seems unable to comply? Why are our allies standing still as my people are killed? I will tell you honestly. I did not come to this show for any pleas of pity and mercy. I came here because I am not unafraid to show that we are right. That we will defend our islands with our might. The Island of Wisteria does not bow their heads to Tyrants and the Greedy. If you want a piece of me, then I am here.

The interviewer asked if she’s afraid.

“I do not hide. My people are not cowards. If I fall today, then let it be known that I did because I was not afraid of their guns and sights pointed at me. And let it be known that we will continue to defend our country against the invaders who seek to harm us.”

 

***

 

Jed waited for the lady to arrive. Helena Curtens, wearing her coat, looked at the giants walking around Wisteria. She met eyes with Jed. They walked together while Helena’s guards covered them.

“How are our defenses?”

“They are holding well. Our main home is not engaged. They know it better to attack us.”

“They are afraid of cornering us. Part of their greed is to take what is ours for themselves. If they reach inland of our capital then they’ll subdue our people. How are our archives?”

“They have been transferred. The backups have been sent to the data master hidden in the dark side of the moon. Readings and  images have made it clear that none have detected them. That also includes the arcane-matters.”

“Are we seeing reactions from the Magi-clans?”

“There are cases where they have joined the battle. Our resources are focused on taking them down immediately. Most of the time they would rather retreat than lose their Magus.”

The two entered a mobile. It travels the city unhindered and enters a route leading them to the heart of the island itself. Located underground, reinforced to withstand two nuclear bombs. We already replaced most of our workers with Utility Droids to prevent civilian casualties. Our remote control units are working hard to produce ammunition. We have problems with our assembly line in the island of Zosta having errors.”

“Were there any attackers left?”

“Negative. We believe it is a malfunction that was quickly patched up. Most of our networks are engaged in cyberware, but our A.I units have been programmed to deter these attacks. Of course, we have our cyber-security officers watching them just in case.”

The mobile stopped on a platform. The car was raised to another compartment. The two walked out of the car. And walked the halls while still discussing.

“What is the status of our Hellrunners?”

“They are being outfitted by the new version of the suit. Although we have only assigned it to certain individuals who have passed the standard of Lt. Barnes.”

The image was brought up to Helena’s wreath.

The power armor was quite advanced and heavily armored, with a sleek, combat design. With several large mechanical joints that would allow the user for a wide range of movement and enhance the user’s strength. It also appears to have various weapons mounted on it, such as machine guns and missile launchers, as well as a large shield on the left arm. On the left shoulder was a mounted weapon that fired mini-missiles.The suit has a backpack carrying additional equipment and power source.

“It’s more bulkier.”

“It is designed for longer deployments. The backpack has a life support system that will automatically inject the necessary concoction to keep the users in the fight. We are receiving skirmishes in our facilities that are not within city-range Not to mention the attack on our supply chain has been adamant. Most of our citizens are now in constant alert and have been logged in to the virtual reality server for safekeeping. Education will continue and work will continue – without hindrance.”

The two entered an elevator.

“We are exhausted,” Jed said the hard truth. “The months-long fighting is getting into our people. By the end of the century we'll worry about whether we’d be alive.”

“You have doubts?”

“I have, Ma’am. It’s hard not when we are staying on the defensive.”

“It’s our only choice right now. They act in the name of their fear against Madam trying to open the gates again. I understand that it is risky and we are being cut down, but unless we can defend it and open the gates. The Madam will win. If we can prove to them that we are right, then their cause will be gone and we will be able to gain more allies against this atrocity.”

She blinked and thumped Jed’s shoulder. “You are our shield, Jed. You have done well so far in protecting our people.”

“No, I’m working on the shoulders of giants.”

Having a detailed understanding of the islands terrain, natural features, and resources. He was able to identify potential chokepoints, strongpoints, and areas that could be used for cover and concealment.

He had helped in establishing strong defensive positions using the islands natural features to their advantage and established strong defensive positions that could be easily defended by the troops. And have started building fortifications such as trenches, bunkers, and obstacles to slow down and channel the enemy's advance.

With the training of the troops in amphibious and coastal defense. He had made it sure that the troops were familiar with the island's terrain and the defensive positions they would be occupying.

“You underestimate yourself,” Helena said. “You have made a flexible defense plan that can be adjusted to meet different scenarios, allowing us to respond quickly and effectively to our foes actions. I doubt Zosta would have survived if it wasn’t for your plans. Barnes might be our sword and spear, but know that you are our shield and tower.”

“You think highly of me. I only made sure to gather as much information as possible with our forces. Our success so far is because our people have identified their strength, composition and the tactics they might use. Without them. I would have no plan.”

“And yet it was you who anticipated the enemy’s movements and made informed choices that have led to the successful defense of the Island of Zosta.”

Jed didn’t agree. He knew that the established communication and logistics network of Wisteria ensured that the troops were well-supplied and can be effectively directed in battle. It was this that allowed him to control the flow of battle and coordinate the actions of the soldiers under the Wisterian Flag.

Utilizing naval and air support to disrupt the advances of the enemy. And also creating counter-attacks in the case their island was undefended and taken by the enemy.

“I wish I could do more,” Jed said.

“You are doing a lot. We have roles to play. And our roles here are to make sure that none of them can reach our mother.”

Helena stood inside the room with Jed and then saw the gigantic machine that has started construction since 2050. Unlike the machine that the Madam of Wisteria has activated, this one was the machine that would be activated by the Madam to try and open the gates of hell again. Helena believes they are righteous and although the consequences could be dire. There was no success without failure, and to Helena.

If her mother could succeed in her dream.

Then this was a price they needed to pay.

5