Chapter 22: Search for Information
2.3k 8 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked in the table of contents for "Horned Rabbits". Unfortunately, the table of contents was not detailed enough.

 

...R ...R ...Rabbits! I've found it.

 

The table of contents had only the names of the different races listed. That also means that every rabbit species, magical or not, were placed under the order of Rabbits.

 

I flipped the pages until the pages of rabbits began.

 

The first pages told of the most different non-magic rabbits. I scanned the part a bit and was surprised because I knew some of the races from my memories.

 

Some species exist in both worlds!

 

The chapters of the non-magical rabbits ended, and the magical rabbits were now listed.

 

Capribit: ...A rabbit with the abdomen of a fish. They live on the shores of the Seamen Islands...

 

Fairy Rabbit: ...A rabbit carrying two fairy wings on their backs. A full-grown rabbit is tallest 18cm tall. They live together with fairies...

 

Finally, I found what I searched for.

 

Horned Rabbits... 

 

Features:

Horned hares have a horn on their forehead, which takes on a different shape and function depending on evolution.

 

Nutrition:

Horned rabbits are like the most rabbits races herbivores, but in a rare evolutionary branch, there is an evolution, that extends the diet to meat, which makes the horned rabbit an omnivore.

 

Habitat:

The horned rabbit calls the forests his home. About 300 years ago, the horned rabbits were represented, on the continents of Kerge, Leirust, Syrras, and Thane, but due to the targeted hunt for them, their races went nearly extinct and can only found on the continent Syrras, now.

 

They live in larger groups, near rivers. Each family builds its burrow and extends it by rooms as the family grows.

 

Characteristics:

Horned rabbits are among there rabbits the most intelligent, and they are said to be able to perceive the emotions of their counterparts.

 

Reproduction:

Unlike the other rabbits, the males don't fight for the female because it's women's choice. The females choose a partner at a young age, and they won't change partners.

 

The mating season takes place every 1½ to 2 years. The Time between the mating seasons is quite large, which is quite rare by rabbits, but more common under magical rabbits.

 

Lifespan:

Horned rabbit has an estimated lifespan of 18 to 22 years.

 

Enemies:

Predators are always a danger to a rabbit race, but the greatest threat is a hunter.

 

Special features:

The horned rabbits are, unlike the other magical rabbits, not bonded to an affinity from birth. Instead of letting the magic freely flow through their bodies, they can concentrate it in their horns and stream it out.

 

Already documented affinities are earth, fire, air, light, metal, and water.

 

Because of the horn were the horned rabbits specifically hunted, and therefore the Elves and Albes forbid the hunting in Syrras, 1587 a.E..

 

With the dot ended the information about horned rabbits.

 

*sigh*

 

"Not found what you were looking for?"

 

"Haa!?"

 

Startled from the sudden voice flew my face up, and I saw the receptionist sitting next to me.

 

"Since when are you sitting here?"

 

"After I brought the books away."

 

"..."

 

"Are you very interested in magical rabbits?"

 

I wandered my eyes between the still open book and her. I nodded in agreement.

 

"A cute rabbit who cares about other cute rabbits."

 

"Can you give me today's date? When I'm on my travels, I can't always catch on how much time passes."

 

"The date? Wait... t... then... today is the 27 Sindris 1607 a.E."

 

If only I knew what a month Sindris is... 1607 is 20 years after the decision.

 

"Sorry, but I look into the next book."

 

"Go ahead."

 

he smiled at me with a big grin, and it was so bright that her smile blinded me.

 

Gah!

 

I lowered my eyes and took the book "Mysterious or Mythical?".

 

It's unlikely to find anything...

 

I opened the book and looked at the table of contents.

 

Instead of a table of contents, there was a picture directory. It's hard to make a table of content of mysterious and mythical creatures when you don't even know their names.

 

I flipped through the few pages of the picture directory, and I was about to close the book when I spotted the picture of a creature.

 

The creature resembled my animal form. It had a rabbit's head and body, antlers on its forehead, and vampire fangs in its mouth. The eyes were blood-red, unlike the black eyes that I had before. Feathers covered its beck bone, and two wings grew from the back near the lumbar vertebrae. The tail resembled that of a squirrel.

 

Huh!?

 

I flick through the pages, and I stopped by this creature's page. I started to read.

 

Provisional Name: Rabbit Chimera

 

An Albae of a small village in the north of Syrras told me the first time about this creature.

 

One of the village hunters was searching for prey when he saw an antler standing out of a bush. At first, he suspected that a deer was hiding inside the bush, but he quickly realized that the bush was too small for a deer with such a big antler.

 

He didn't deter by this fact and shot an arrow at his unknown prey. For a brief moment, the hunter caught a glimpse of the creature before it turned completely black and vanished into nothingness.

 

Later, he made a picture as detailed as possible.

 

The following years he kept looking out for the creature, on a search I accompanied him once.

 

I documented his story, but I never really believed him until...

 

It took me ten long years until I got another hint, this time it was about a burned orc village. The village burned out completely, but nobody was injured or killed. The inhabitants had seen a strange black creature that matched the hunter's description.

 

There was no further sighting until today.

 

I closed the book again.

 

*sigh*

 

"By the way, I'm Perrine."

 

I look at my "stalker".

 

"Eris."

 

"Say you've read about rabbits again are you looking for something specific?"

 

"I'm looking for information about horned rabbits."

 

"Horned rabbits, huh!?"

 

Her eyes stopped to shine.

 

"Try looking into my records, since the orc crisis of 6 years ago, I've started to document a lot."

 

"Orc crisis?"

 

"As you may know or not, there are 2 countries on Syrras, the large Elves & Albe country Admeras in the west and the rather small of humans ruled kingdom Egoss in the east. The city Astel is a border town between Admeras and Egoss. The two countries are not arguing about exact borders, but orcs try throughout history to establish a city-state between them. 5 years ago, It came to a crisis in which orcs attacked villages and small towns."

 

"5 years ago..."

 

I can’t imagine... for me it’s just 2 weeks ago... and so much has happened...

 

"After the orc crisis, the city of Astel was launched. I lived in the nearest town before, and I followed everything up close. Even then, I was the leader of another Wizardguild branch."

 

"Leader?"

 

"Right, I'm the leader of this guild branch."

 

"Wait a moment! You said right now that Astel was founded five years ago!?"

 

"Yeah, that's right! Is there a problem?"

 

No wonder the temple looked new to me! After all, he is as good as new.

 

"Then, you know where and how the horned rabbits live?"

 

"...I'm sorry. I can't help you with that because I keep my records by taking content from the logs of the Hunters and Mercenaries Guild."

 

"Thanks, I'll try it."

54