Chapter 12: Oh, who needs him?
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12: Oh, who needs him?

Filarion was herded into the nearby gardens, and sat on a bench. His three kids arrayed themselves around him, their hands on his back.

"Fil, if you need to talk, you can speak with us," Nathaniel spoke, and Filarion's breath hitched. He did want to talk, but if he told them the truth...

"This conversation is for the Elathana estate," Filarion told the three, and then stood from the bench. "But the day is still young. We can go around, and ask if anyone needs help."

"You can't bury your feelings like that," Gregory told him. Filarion chuckled. The boy was right. Still, Filarion had no desire to keep secrets from the three. They would find out, like Johnny, and then leave him. No, better if he nipped this in the bud.

"Then, I will make sure to speak with you all, but for now, we have quests to do," Filarion marched in the direction of the market. The three stood and followed him.

They found the market bustling, as it was a Saturday. People were off work, and the fields didn't need much minding this time of the year. Filarion went to the raised platform in the middle, and cleared his voice.

"Hello, my name is Filarion Elathana, leader of the Leaf Party. We offer our services," Filarion spoke, without batting an eyelash.

"Lord Elathana?"

"Has he gone bankrupt?"

"An SS ranked rogue! Wish I had the money to hire him."

Filarion's eyes zeroed in on the man who said that last sentence, and he got off the platform and went to him.

"Do you have a quest in need of doing? The Leaf party's fees are not big," technically, no villager would be able to hire Filarion, if he had charged the fees that the guild would have paid him. Yet, Filarion felt like this man was in need of help.

"I have a slime problem in my garden, my lord. One big slime, and at least a dozen of smaller ones. They are eating my cabbage," the man sighed, and then looked to the three kids behind Filarion. "Can they even hold weapons?"

"They are capable," Filarion lied, and watched as the three straightened up and tried to look menacing. Which made them even cuter.

"I will believe you on that. I don't have much. Can a dinner with my family be enough of a payment?" Filarion looked down at the clothes of the man. They were well-kept, but the colors were faded. He nodded.

"Sounds lovely. Lead us to your vegetable patch, good sir," Filarion said, and the man smiled brightly.

"My name is David," the villager offered his hand, and Filarion took it. David had one of those firm handshakes that spoke of an honest character and fairness. Filarion liked him already.

David led them to a house, which was again well-kept, but looked to be so with poor materials. There were slimes in the vegetable patch, congregating around the cabbage. Filarion gathered his kids.

"Listen up, the best way to deal with a slime is to aim for the eyes," Filarion told them in a no-nonsense tone. "Don't aim anywhere else, understood?"

"Yes, sir," the three chorused. Filarion felt a surge of pride at their professionalism. If they had thought that this was a game, and gotten hurt, Filarion wouldn't have forgiven himself.

The rogue took out a dagger, and then let it fly to the eyes of the big slime. It hit the slime in the right one, and then it popped in a shower of goo. The smaller slimes didn't seem to mind, as they kept on ruining the cabbage.

"Now, it is your turn," Filarion stepped back, having gotten rid of the only threat to the kids. The smaller slimes didn't look all that acidic. The three advanced on the slimes as if the goo-like beings owned them money.

Zaine took off his war hammer from his back, and then slammed it on a slime. Instead of the eyes, he hit the head's top. The slime split in two, and both new slimes proceeded to ignore the three.

"The eyes, Zaine. The eyes," Filarion yelled from his place on the ground. He could see Zaine's blush from here.

Nathaniel stood back, armed with his staff. When a slime came too close to him, he hit it, but got the forehead. Again, the slime split.

"Step back, both of you," Gregory said, and the two did step back. Looking disgruntled, and pouting. Filarion chuckled quietly, as he watched Gregory beginning to let loose arrows. He got most of the slimes in the eyes, but he created many new ones.

Filarion watched as the three huddled together. He couldn't hear what they were saying, for they were whispering furiously. Finally, they came back to him.

"I think we made double the slimes there had been," Zaine spoke, head bowed.

"I will add precision training to your regime," Filarion then stood, and took both of his daggers in his hands. "Watch and learn, kiddos."

He was off, before they managed to begin to grumble at being called such. Filarion was like lightning. He weaved from one slime to the other, stabbing them in the eyes every time. When he was done, he looked at the ruined cabbages.

It was such a pity that such a misfortune had visited David. Filarion went back to the three. They looked awestruck, and his mood lifted.

"We are going shopping," Filarion told them. "I will teach you how to plant and nurture cabbages with mana."

"That would be useful, how?" Zaine asked, and Filarion poked him on the forehead.

"When you are out on a quest, you might not have full access to food. Water might ruin your food. Poison might get in your bottomless bag. The adventuring life is full of hazards," Filarion told them, and then headed back to the market. The three followed.

When he went to the gardening shop, he saw Johnny coming out of it with five other people. They looked older than Filarion's kids, but not by much.

"Elathana," Johnny brushed passed him, and Filarion felt a surge of anger.

"Morrel," Filarion snarled. Behind him, the three other members of the Leaf party also bristled with indignation.

1