Chapter 26: Hard day of training, part 3
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 26: Hard day of training, part 3

"No way! He got you into prison," Gregory yelled, and pointed at Johnny. "You shouldn't even be trying to get back together with him! What of the restraining order?"

Filarion scratched the back of his head. He had forgotten about that.

"I got it off," Johnny supplied, and Filarion turned to stare at him.

"When?" The elf asked, and the tank smiled at him.

"As soon as I got out of prison. I realized that I was just as guilty about the mafia business as you, considering that it made me who I am today. So, I decided that I needed you back in my life," Johnny leaned in, but then a stick flew towards his face.

"Zaine!" Filarion yelled, as he caught the stick. It was one of his own. The berserker must have picked it from the ground. "You could have poked his eyes out!"

"Well, that was the intent," Zaine spoke, not chastised in the least. "He lands you into prison, and then comes back when you are out? What if this is his secret plan to get you the death sentence?"

"I won't be trialed again because the family business is now licensed," Filarion countered. Besides, he had handed it over to Feneria. Washing his hands off the whole mafia boss thing he had going on.

"Even so, you can't just take him back. You deserve better, grandpa Fil," Gregory countered, and Filarion sighed.

"I love Johnny. When you three grow up and find the people you love, you will understand," Filarion told them, and then walked to Zaine, who was holding a second stick in his hand.

"Not only will I take him back, but I will also take him as co-leader of this party," the elf told the berserker. Zaine glared at him.

"We stand no chance without you, Fil, and you know it," Zaine hissed, and then looked to his brothers. "So, we will grin and bear it."

"You don't have to grin. Just deal with it," Filarion placed a hand on Zaine's head. "Think about it. It would be just like we are a big family."

"And, will you be the mother?" Zaine retorted with a small smirk. "Because you fit the bill. The mother is beautiful, you are prettier than he. The mother is kind and loving, and he is not. So..."

"Cheeky brat," Filarion gave the soft hair under his hand a couple of soft pets. "I rather you all call me grandpa."

"Even Morrel?" Nathaniel finally spoke, nose scrunched up.

"Now, wait a second," Filarion protested, but the three teens were already laughing at his predicament.

"I call him little leaf," Johnny piped in. "His name starts with the elven word for leaf. That is what Fil means."

The three send him strange looks.

"We know," Gregory told him, head held high. "Still, we don't approve of you."

"Little leaf, when did you become such a loved single parent?" Johnny joked, and Filarion shook his head.

"I have no idea. Sometime after I took them in, I guess?" With that, the elf's eyes fell on the adventurer's handbook, that was lying on the ground. "Did you read it cover to cover?"

"Yes, Fil," the three chorused, and Filarion smiled.

"Good, in hostage situations, what is the most important thing to do?" Filarion asked. To test them. Not because he didn't believe them, but because he was not sure if they remembered what they have read.

"Free the hostage with minimal wounds, but not at the cost of the party's lives," Zaine said, and Filarion smiled.

"Then, what percentage of the loot can you keep, normally?" Filarion gave them a tricky question next.

"Twenty percent from dungeons, fifty from bandit raids," Gregory spoke, and then looked to Filarion for confirmation. When the elf nodded, the archer spoke again. "Which is not fair. Considering dungeons have more treasure than a bandit camp."

"That is true," Johnny said, as he gave the problem a thought. "But if the percentage of the bandits was any lesser, no one would take such quests."

"And why is that? Surely, adventurers would have wanted the quest out of a feeling of justice?" Nathaniel asked.

"Adventurers need to eat, too. We need to pay the bills, just like everyone else. It is naive of you to think that someone would take a non-paying quest. Well, Fil might. But he is filthy rich," Johnny said, and then shook his head. "Some of the other better off adventurers go on such quests as well. Then again, they are just like Fil."

"Grandpa has been covering our living expenses," Gregory spoke, and then became thoughtful. "I guess, if he didn't, we would have not looked at F ranked quests, and gone for another dungeon."

"You went into a dungeon?" Johnny looked alarmed. The three didn't look like they could handle a dungeon. They were too young. Too inexperienced.

"A slime dungeon," Zaine boasted. "We wanted to give the money to Fil, to pay him back some of our debt, but he didn't take it."

"Oh, forgot about that," Filarion hit his head then. "I was supposed to make you bank accounts and split the money to three parts."

Filarion winced at their wide eyes.

"I didn't spend your money. They should still be in my room," the elf was quick to clarify. "Come now, training is over. We are all going back to the estate. You are taking baths, and we are all going over to the bank."

"Well, I am going home then," Johnny turned to leave, but then Filarion reached out, and took him by the hand.

"You are coming with. We are way overdue for a joined shower," Filarion winked at Johnny, and waved at the help. Their horses were soon mounted, and they were escorted back to the estate.

"No matter how many times I see this place, I will still think it is a palace," Zaine spoke, as he eyed the marble estate before him.

"Well, then you are a prince because you will be living in one of the rooms in the family wing," Filarion told him, and then winked at Johnny. The tank chuckled, and dismounted.

1