Chapter 31: Trying to make the quest quota
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 31: Trying to make the quest quota

"Now that we are an official party, we have a quest quota," Johnny told the four before him. He knew that his little leaf knew all that already, even though he had never bothered to try and get a party before. Gregory groaned.

"But that is so unfair," the red head scratched the back of his head. He was so looking forward to more training. There was a big gap between their skills and those of their adoptive parents. A gap he wanted to close.

"It doesn't much matter if it is unfair. Those are the rules. Now, we have two quests each. If we do the quests by ourselves, they don't count into the whole," Johnny knew that for some guilds it did, but the Westermire guild master believed that if adventurers were going to solo their quests, then they didn't need them added up to the whole.

"Keeping watch of cats as a party is an overkill," Filarion murmured, and then looked at the quest board. "Ok, Zaine, you will do the house-sitting quest. Bring something to read with you. Greg, you will do the group dog walking quest, don't argue!"

Gregory snapped his mouth shut, when Filarion's eyes narrowed at him. He knew that there was no getting out of this. Nathaniel shifted on his feet, knowing it was his turn.

"Nate, you will do the library helping gig. Make sure to make use of their medical texts, while you man the counter," Filarion said, and then turned to Johnny. "Do you want to share a quest?"

"Sure, little leaf. Let us share. I think this one is good," Johnny pointed at a babysitting quest for a three-year-old little girl. Filarion smiled softly.

"Yes, it is. Come now, everyone to the receptionist's desk," Filarion ushered, and then they were off. A short talk later, and they all had their quests in their hands.

Johnny took Filarion by the hand, and they walked in the direction of the little girl's house, while their three sons went for their own quests.

It didn't take long for the newlywed pair to reach the house. It was not the Elathana estate, by any stretch of the imagination. But it was well-off and the smell of cookies wafted from inside. The two smiled at each other, ready to baby the little toddler.

Knocking on the door, his hand still in Filarion's, Johnny smiled brightly. It had been long since he took an F ranked quest. He had nearly forgotten how relaxing those were. You didn't risk your life, and got paid.

A maid opened the door for them, and they gave her the mission scroll.

"Well, I suppose everything is in order. Lena is in her room, having a tea party with her dolls," the maid said, and then led them up the stairs.

The beige room was cramped with all sorts of toys. For a second, the little girl blended with her surroundings. Then, she looked at them and smiled, and that differentiated her from a doll.

"Miss Joy, more guests for the party," the little girl told the doll she was holding. Then, she waved the doll around, as if the toy was jumping in joy.

"Lena, these people will look after you while I am gone. Be good now," the maid said with a gentle smile.

"Bye, bye, Mary," the little girl blew the maid a kiss, which the older woman caught in her hand and then pressed to her heart. Filarion and Johnny went to sit by the windowsill. Lena had other plans.

"Won't you have some tea?" She asked, and then pointed at the empty tea set before her. The two men stood, and walked to her.

"Sure, let us have some tea," Filarion offered.

"You can't have tea with your hair loose," Lena suddenly said, and eyed Filarion's long, silky, chestnut hair up and down. "It is not proper."

"Uhm..." Filarion knew where this was going. He nudged Johnny for support, but the tank gave him a shit eating grin.

"I am sure princess Lena will be kind enough to fix your hair, little leaf," Johnny teased, and Lena got stars in her eyes.

"Yes, I will. I will make him the prettiest! Prettier than Miss Joy," Lena took a comb and some ribbons, and toddled to Filarion.

"Now, I can do this myself," Filarion wanted to get away with a simple ponytail, but neither Johnny nor Lena let him.

"Nonsense, little leaf. You have to get the royal treatment. Otherwise, you insult the princess," Johnny's grin was not falling down, and Filarion wanted to tug at his husband's ears.

The elf chanced a look at the little girl, whose bottom lip was trembling and whose eyes were filling up with tears.

"Oh, fine. Doll me up," Filarion gave himself over to his fate, as the girl giggled, and began to comb his hair.

"So soft," Lena placed the comb down, and then began to pet Filarion. "Like mommy's."

"Yes, my little leaf is a rare gem," Johnny told the little girl proudly. He enjoyed the blush on Filarion's cheeks, and barked a laugh, when the elf whined.

"You will be so pretty, all my dollies will envy you," Lena promised, as she gave the chestnut tresses one last pet, before she picked up the comb again, and resumed her work.

Filarion's hair ended up in multiple braids, all finished up with ribbons at their edges, and pinned together in a bun with the help of intricate hair pins. When that was done, he was finally allowed to get a seat at the tea party's side. Some hair out of the braids, and looking a bit disgruntled.

"Do you like how pretty you are now?" Lena asked, stars in her eyes.

Filarion gave her a dazzling smile, and took an empty tea cup.

"My princess, I have never been prettier. Thank you," Filarion then pretended to blow on the empty air, to cool the tea, and took a small sip. Making slurping sounds all the while.

Lena giggled, and picked up her doll again. When the maid found them, they were all in a pile, with Filarion and Lena in Johnny's lap, as the tank read from a children's book.

1