Chapter 54 – Getting acquainted with Paula
1.2k 2 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I've investigated the latest events in town today and found another strange event in the recent days." Said the woman dropping down on the bed in the hotel room.

"Let me guess. Northern hunting ground?"

"Huh? Yeah. How do you know?"

"It may be I have found some lead in the adventurers guild."

"What lead?"

"Both of these events are connected to a newbie Tamer that just recently came to town. Tamer that has a Giant Monster Wolf as a companion."

"Hold on." Said the other woman jumping up from the bed. "Giant Monster Wolf? Just like the one I saw resurrected in the Labyrinth?"

"Yes. This one does not look like an undead though."

"Good job. I'll investigate that second event. You keep an eye on the tamer."

"There is one more thing…"

"Hmm?"

"I think the guild may have suspicions of me spying on them."

"How?"

"I don't know. But that secretary girl. She behaved suspiciously. It's just a hunch."

"I see. We'll investigate it later. I don't want to fill our heads with too much non essential for the mission. The quicker we perform the task the quicker we get the hell out of here.

*****

The next day when Noah entered the guild hall he was met with a bit different reaction than he expected. He waited for an angry mob lunging at him but instead was met with an unusually silent and heavy atmosphere in the guild.

He walked up to the counter where Lina was gazing at him from the moment he showed up.

"Miss Louriat. Good day." He said with a smile.

"Good day, Mr. Lewenred. You are quite late today." Said Lina with a smile. "Not going to hunt today? Also your remuneration is calculated. You can receive your reward at the exchange booth."

"Oh. That's wonderful. Yeah I was busy with other things today. I actually came to you today to ask for a bit of information."

"Hmm? How may I help you?" Asked Lina

"I would like to ask where I can find the person named Paula? I heard she just came back to town."

Lina's smiling face suddenly changed. All pleasant expressions disappeared in exchange to that of firmness and a bit of worry. 

"Why are you looking for her, if I may ask?"

"I would like to ask for some advice."

Lina eyebrow rose up in a questioning gesture.

"Maybe you can ask it here. I will try to find suitable information for you." Said Lina and her eyes slipped to the side for the moment before quickly returning to look at Noah, however he noticed that gesture and turned to look in the direction she just peeked at.

"I am sorry, Miss Louriat, but I think it's better to be discussed with her directly." Said Noah after he saw a group of people sitting in the furthest corner of the guild near the bar.

"Still, maybe you better consult the guild first?" Said Lina with an obvious worry in her voice.

"I will be fine." Said Noah, turning around. "Thank you for your concern Miss Louriat." He added walking away.

*****

"Hello. Are you A-Rank adventurer Paula?" Asked Noah coming up to the team of adventurers sitting in the guild's common area with an woman in her late forties sitting at the center

"Who are you pipsqueak? " Said one of the people sitting near Paula. "I never saw you. Who do you think you are to…"

"Wait." Said Paula raising her hand to stop the agitated man. "I am Paula, boy. What of it."

"My name is Noah. I am an E-rank adventurer. I went to that guild order mission to save the village, together with Jake and the others."

"I see. So you are that hero tamer boy that everyone talks about. The one that saved everyone."

"I would not say I am any hero, I just did all I could to survive."

"So what do you want, with me?" Asked Paula.

Lina saw that interaction and stood staring at the group, ready to interfere at the first sign of trouble coming toward Noah. Paula was not called fury and storm behind the back for nothing. She was unpredictable and very easily angered.

"I don't know many people in town. Jake is the strongest adventurer I know, so I wanted to ask him for advice on the problem. However I found him in the hospital and he was in no shape to help me. He said though when I visited him, that if there is someone that could help better then it's Paula."

"Jake boy said that?"

"Yes."

"I was the one to put him in the hospital, you know?"

Noah was startled a bit by this. Jake sure forgot to mention such crucial information. However Noah did not want to show any disrespect to a person that could put a B-rank adventurer like Jake on a hospital bed so easily. "I see. In that case it is understandable why he suggested turning to you for help."

"Hooo. So what is this help you want to ask boy?"

"I would like you to help me with training."

Silence already hung in the hall when Noah started a talk with Paula. But now air in the hall was not only that of deadly silence it was also pity and condolence. Seemed like he just signed his own death warrant.

"Train? Do I look like a tamer to you, boy? How do you want me to train a tamer?"

"No. That's not what I mean. I recently felt that I rely on my tamed companions too much and lack personal strengths greatly. I wanted to ask for advice on how to train in the areas of warriors and mages."

"You are not made of the right cloth to be a warrior boy. You better stick to your taming."

"I know, but there are other things that might help me. Jake said you trained all your team as well. Including ranger and mage. I would like to ask for advice on how to train my senses. Like balance, awareness, magic sense and so on."

"I see. So what's in it for me, boy?"

"I can pay. I am not rich but. I was counted as an A-class mission participant this time and was paid accordingly. I would give that pay out as a cost of your lessons."

"Hooo. You would give me such a large sum just to get advice?"

"It's better to have advice that can save my life than die rich."

"What if I just spout some bullshit to get the money." Said Paula and threw a quick glance at the guild reception lady that was staring in their direction with a serious face.

"I don't believe advice from an A-rank adventurer can be bullshit. It may only be that I am too inadequate to understand that advice. But it might still come in handy later, when I become stronger and understand it."

"I see. Now I understand why everyone speaks so highly of you. Alright boy. I will help with only one condition."

"I am listening."

"Tell me what happened in New-Vega village. I read the report but there's a lot of missing points. However I find that even when I threaten people to divulge the information they keep their mouths shut. So if you tell me, I'll agree."

"I see. In that case please forget my request." Said Noah and bowed. When he wanted to walk away though he was stopped by a ranger girl.

"Hey. You out of your mind boy? Paula asked you a question, you'd better answer her before you fuck off."

"I am sorry, my lady, but what happened in Vegas stays in Vegas."

"What did you say…" Said angry ranger girls

*Hahahahah suddenly laughed at Paula. 

"I like you boy. You have guts. I get it that you people decided to keep something to yourself and you are not tattling even when threatened. Good. Alright I'll train you. But it won't be easy, boy. You better not cry that you want to quit when we start. I don't quit halfway, boy."

"I see. I can handle it. It's a question of life and death for me after all." Answered Noah. 

"Alright." Said Paula standing up. "Let's go to a better place, boy."

Paula walked up to the counter and gazed at Lina from above as her height was quite a bit more than Lina's.

"Register me and that boy over there to the Labyrinth dive." Said Paula and started to walk away.

"Paula. This is…"

"Don't worry huss, I won't harm your mama's boy so hard he won't perform well enough at night for you."

"This is not…"

"Whatever. I am not interested. Shut your trap and do it." Said Paula and walked away.

Noah smiled at worried Lina and waved to assure her that everything's fine. Then he walked out of the guild building together with Paula's team, while Lina ran upstairs to speak with the guild manager.

67