Chapter 79 – Maids
1k 2 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Everyone in attendance. I announce this council is open."  Said the man sitting at the throne-like chair with a half moon picture on its backrest above his head.

"First of all the council would like to inquire what is the situation with the McDaniels family and why is it not going according to plan?" He said, looking at one of the robed people sitting around the table.

"There has been an unexpected situation." Said the voice from under the robe of a person sitting a few seats away on the right of the person at the head of the table, who had a half moon picture crossed with knives on the backrest of his chair.

"What kind of situation?" Asked the person at the head of the table.

"The McAlister family reported that they successfully disposed of the son of the late Duke McDaniels, so we proceeded as planned and spread rumors of his accidental life. However, Madam of the McDaniel family did not announce his death officially for too long. Our mole in the family investigated and reported that the blood orb of the son of the family has not dimmed. He is still alive." Replied the robed person.

"What? How could this happen? Then where is he?" Asked another person from across the table.

"This is hard to tell. He was poisoned and fed to monsters in Labyrinth. However he did not die. Someone must have saved him."

"Then why has he not appeared since then?"

"Hard to say. He either hides or…there are Royal investigators within the Greenville town. It might be that he was taken under protection."

"In that case both McDaniels and McAlister families will be under scrutiny. We must distance ourselves to prevent suspicion of our involvement. Even if he is not in the investigators hands yet, now that the rumors are out and he shows up alive it will bring interest from The Bureau. This is exactly the situation we wanted to prevent, damn it!" Said Lady Nigh Breeze slamming her fist on the table. "I told you we needed to use professionals instead of those two dimwitted families."

"I have doubts." Said another person behind the table. "He has been saved while poisoned and thrown to monsters? Sounds too fantastic. The poison the McAlister was supposed to use was given by us. It's not a poison curable by standard antidotes and attracts monsters at the same time. What kind of luck could save him from this?" Said the person with a picture of a book with a half moon on its cover inscribed on the backrest of his chair.

"I feel like someone is trying to hold us for fools here. If someone helped him, that someone must have had information on poison and knew where to find him."

Murmur started to sound around the table.

"Are you suggesting that someone either in McDaniels family or in the McAlister family is trying to plot against us?" Said the person at the head of the table.

"It is the most plausible explanation. The Madam of McDaniels and Lord of McAlister plotted this together. Only they were fully aware of all information and had access to the poison that could allow them to make an antidote." Said the person on the chair with a half moon and knives.

"Could it be that one of them is in cahoots with investigators? They are both new members to the association. Could one of them be working for the Kingdoms investigation bureau?" Suggested another robed person.

"That is indeed a worrying possibility. We must get to the bottom of this. However if they are under scrutiny of the investigators coming into contact with them would be too dangerous now."

"Why don't we pit them against each other." Said suddenly a person at the other end of the table. The image on his chair was an inverted half moon as if mirroring the picture of the person at the head of the table.

The person at the head of the table looked across the table and lifted his hand to rub his chin under the robes hood.

"Hmm. I see what you mean. This is indeed interesting. If we can't investigate ourselves, let them investigate each other and then dispose of the disloyal one. Let's put pressure on both families, bringing them to the edge and pushing them to find out the truth for themselves. It would look like they had a falling out and would not point directly on our involvement in the matter. And if no information is found it would be simply to destroy both families when they have weakened fighting each other. Contact our associated families and let them act covertly." Said the person at the head of the table looking at the person across the table seeing him nod. 

"Alright let us move to another topic."

*****

"Lord Belmont." Said the man entering the office room inside the Greenville town lord's mansion. "I have contacted the guild regarding the information you have inquired. The scion of the late Duke McDaniel have indeed been registered at the guild for the Labyrinth expedition, however he has not returned since then. Rumors have been spreading of his demise inside the Labyrinth, however the McDaniel family has never made an investigation order to the guild. Also they have not commented on the rumors anyhow."

"I see. This is indeed quite a peculiar situation. I have contacted the capital. The Investigation Bureau has confirmed that the copy blood marble of the young heir of McDaniel, kept in the treasury has not dimmed. That means he is still alive. The McDaniel family should be aware of it, as they have an original blood marble. In that case why have they not dissuaded the rumors?" Said silver haired man sitting behind the table rubbing his chin. Interesting."

"Also there is information that he was in the Labyrinth together with the scion of the McAlister family, that has been reported to be home safe and sound."

"McAlister family? The one that is supposed to be engaged to the eldest daughter of the McDaniel family? As I understand in the case of the only son of the McDaniel family's death he would basically become the new master of the McDaniel family right? Very interesting." He said, sinking into the backrest of his chair and staring into the ceiling.

"I want The Bureau to keep a watch on both families from a distance, not an explicit investigation. Just to skim the top. I want to know how the relationship between families is progressing."

"Understood." Said the man and went out of the room.

"Very interesting." Said "I wonder what would happen with the two families in the near future. This will say a lot of their standing. Let's see what you will do." Muttered Lord Belmont, sitting alone in the room.

*******

"My Lady." Whispered the voice from the shadow.

"Report." Said the Holy Lady feeding fishes in her pond.

"The second and third squads have reached Greenville town and found Amanda. She was heavily wounded."

"I see. What happened?"

"According to her words She and Selena have found the traces of that demon, but they were found out. They had no.choice.but to engage the demon in battle and almost defeated it. However, a third party interfered. They were taken by surprise. Selena was killed and Amanda was heavily wounded but managed to escape, recovering Selena's body as well."

"Third party?"

"Ex-adventurers team dealing in slavery. They are reported to be connected with a dark association."

"Find them. Bring them alive. We must interrogate them. What about the demon?"

"According to Amanda, it appeared suddenly in the Labyrinth with no traces of it anywhere around. They concluded it was a summon."

The Holy Lady froze for a moment before continuing to feed fishes.

"Demon that could fight my divinity off? A summon? A high level dark ritual? How could Dryads overlook it? This is very strange."

"Amanda also stated that Dryad's family not only refused to help in the investigation but tried to prevent it."

"That plant woman is becoming arrogant from our reliance on her power." Muttered Holy Lady.

*****

"It's barely morning." Whispered Tessa under the blanket. "And you tortured me with that berserk skill of yours whole nigh. Yet you are already this hard again." She said with a coy voice while the blanket covering her and Noah was softly shaking and rustling.

"Umm…That is just a morning wood, you know? It's not like I am horny right now. That's just a healthy body reaction" Sounded Noah's voice from under the blanket as well.

"No excuses! It stands so I am using it. Period." Said Tessa's voice.

"Maybe we could have breakfast first?" Muttered Noah.

"Well, my breakfast is right here." Said Tessa demurely.

"Breakfast is ready." Said maid with a frank voice. "Would you like it brought to the bed?"

"Yes. See the breakfast is…."

The blanket suddenly flew off revealing Tessa and Noah in silken pajamas staring at the maid in shock.

"WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!" Screamed Tessa and in a moment a huge spider was standing on the bed above Noah as if guarding him with her body.

"Maid."

"I don't have a maid, bitch! How did you get here?"

"I am Lord McDaniels's maid and I came here the same way as him." Said the woman.

"Noah? You know her?" Asked Tessa with a guarded voice.

Noah kept staring at the girl with a strange look and then put his hand on Tessa's body as if to calm her down.

"Dear. Hold on a moment. I think I do know her." Said Noah and stood up from bed sitting on its edge with Tessa standing guard above him.

"You are one of the three dryads I met in the Great Tree Labyrinth right?"

"Yes, I am named Dahlia. My other sisters that you met are Zinnia and Aster." Answered Dryad.

"Why are you here, Lady Dahlia? Her Majesty Queen Marva has promised that the incident has been settled." Said Noah.

"It is as you say, My Lord, there is no more grudge between you and Dryad's family. My sisters and I were sent by our mother to serve your house as maids." 

"Noah, you know The Dryad Queen of the Great Tree Labyrinth?" Asked Tessa surprised.

"Yeah. I once committed a crime in the Labyrinth by accident and had to apologize for my actions. Her Majesty forgiven me."

"She has forgiven you, but not us. As our punishment we are to serve your house as maids until she decides that we are forgiven." Said Dahlia bowing. "So, I would like to ask again if you would like to have breakfast here or would you be coming to the dining hall?"

"Dining hall." Said Noah. 

"Understood. Would you or Madam Threadweaver want our help with your dressing?"

"No, thank you." Said Noah.

Dahlia bowed her head and then walked toward the door, sinking into it and disappearing.

"What the hell?" Asked Tessa. "How did she get here? The mansion has a barrier!" 

"The same way as me." Said Noah 

"Huh?"

"Through the dream realm."

57