Chapter 22 – Voices
58 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I brought us back to actual reality and helped him up then handed him the knife. Everyone besides the two of us were either frozen in concrete or puzzlement. He walked up to each and every one of them and sliced their throats from side to side.

“What are you doing Jack!”

“Shh! Don’t distract him.”

“What have you done to him!”

“I’ve given him power.”

“Jack! Stop!”

Her screams fell on deaf ears. I had taught him to play by his own rules now, it didn’t take a genius to figure out that a system created by flawed beings would be just as flawed as they were. The only way to win in the cruel game of life was to learn how to abuse all the rules. What good was punishing someone after they committed a crime? You couldn’t unrob, unbeat, unkill, or unrape someone. Punishment should come with such power, swiftness, and accuracy that the thought of committing a crime wasn’t even plausible.

But no one wanted cameras until the suspect couldn’t be identified, no one wanted the right to punish until they had suffered, no one wanted to take responsibility for their part in allowing criminals to continue being created. I was tired of humans constantly throwing away solutions in the name of some pointless value in order to keep their so-called ‘morality’. Was it moral to allow murderers, rapists, and thieves to terrorize innocents simply because we weren’t willing to sacrifice a little?

Now that I thought about it… what use was there in a net that allowed fish to slip through the holes…?

“You done kid?”

“Yes.”

“Gimme the knife and go home, make sure you can trust her. Our kind are not appreciated in this world.”

“Yeah.”

I pulled all the phones out of their pockets and then buried them by making the ground consume them. The duo watched in a daze as I performed my strange magic. I pulled the blood off of his body and pushed it underground as well. I took the phones with me and walked around a corner before summoning one of the boys and shooting into the sky. I could destroy all the police stations in a single night but I had to do something sensational, something provoking, something that would make people riot, rebel, and rampage. Now what would sting the public quite painfully? Oh… I know.

I cannot allow you to do that.

“The fuck?”

I summoned other me into existence.

“Was that you?”

“Nope. I heard him too.”

“The fuck is going on?”

God? A mind reader? What kind of bullshit was this?

Your next actions will cause far too much harm.

“Piss off mystery man, if you gave that much of a shit then maybe you should’ve fixed the world before I decided to.”

Do not force me to take action.

“Go ahead cunt, see if I care. Killing me won’t save the world and I’m sure you won't either.”

A sudden pulsing pain enveloped my brain and started to beat away at my consciousness.

“Go back inside and see what’s wrong!”

The pain subsided after a couple of seconds and everything returned to normal.

“Nice try you stupid fuck, now I’ll make sure to fuck up as much shit as possible.”

You can’t do this!

“You’re still here?”

I can kill both of us if I have to!

“Both of us. Both of us?”

Both of us? Some kind of suicide magic?

“You’re really that against making the world a better place? And I thought I was a bad person. Do whatever you want. I'm off to go do some good in this world.”

I suddenly lost control of one of my arms and a sword was summoned in it before piercing straight towards my heart. I grabbed my hand before I could stab myself.

“Hey, fix this before we get killed.”

After a short moment I regained control and studied this new sword. The front consisted of a straight sharp blade and the back was filled with jagged teeth. A glowing red line ran through the center of it and into the hilt.

“Thanks for the sword.”

You have to stop! Tens of thousands of innocent people will die if you do this!

“You’re just like them. A pathetic little child that hasn’t grown past their fantasy of saving every single person in the world without having any idea of how they’re going to do it. You can’t save everyone you fool, the only people deserving of being saved are children. I guess that means I have to save you too though.”

You’re wrong! I’m not a child! I’m-! I’m-!

“Oh I get it. You aren’t childish. You’re just delusional, how sad. Wake up already. I don’t know how long you’ve lived in this world but surely you understand that no one with the power to do so has decided to fix this world. But it’s probably because people like you keep killing us before we can fix it. I guess you sick freaks enjoy watching people suffer.”

That’s-! That's not how it is! We can do this without causing that much damage!

“I don’t like taking the hard route, you’ve seen how the system has gone about it. They aren’t fast enough to stop it and there aren’t enough of me to do it for them. We need to force them to speed up, we need to force people to care. Plus, who are you to tell me what’s right or wrong? If you know so well why haven’t you done anything? You righteous piece of shit!”

I-! I’m you! The real other you! I’m warning you that you are going to regret this!

“I’m quite sure I’m the real me. Unless the entire life I have been living is fake.”

It’s hard to explain. You created yourself to protect us from our father. Ever since then I’ve been unable to regain control or contact you up until now.

“Pfft. We needed protection from our father? He might’ve been a bit abusive but he never would have killed us. If anything we would’ve killed him.”

I know, but to a child his behavior was extremely intimidating. Enough to make a child want to live a different reality.

“Understandable, it’s your fault though. Why would you create me if you still wanted control?”

I didn’t create you. You created yourself, I’ve been trapped inside of our head ever since then.

“Why didn’t you just break out then, surely you should possess the same level of willpower as I do.”

You have rewired our neural pathways, the brain grew up with you and is stuck as you. I have only partially regained control because of our mysterious increase in strength.

“Too bad I guess. Why don’t you do us both a favor and just get rid of yourself. If you’ve been in my head that long surely you know exactly what I’m thinking.”

I do. I understand exactly why you want to do it. Just listen to me for a moment though. Just kill them instead of releasing them, releasing them will create too many variables. We will gain enough power to start more complex plans after doing so. I know you will not trust me so I will share what I have learned with you. Land and go to one of those cars.

“I’m giving you a chance here.”

I know.

We plummeted back down and I walked up to a car.

Do you see your reflection? Reach into the car and pull it out.

I did as he told me and reached into my reflection and began pulling. My reflection began to come out of the car and take a physical form.

“You aren’t tricking me are you?”

Even I am unaware of what it is, I have only discovered that we are capable of it.

The moment I pulled all of it out my mind suddenly snapped in two. I found myself looking at myself… but one of us had a car behind us and the other had a wall.

“So I’m two people now?”

“So I’m two people now?”

As the clone version of myself I began testing what I was capable of. Overall abilities were similar and I had access to my mutations. Now for the most important part. I tried summoning the boys… it fucking worked!

This is better than expected.

“When did I become capable of this?”

When you were able to create ten of the boys.

“Hopefully it’s arithmetic and not geometric.”

We can only hope, this power functions in strange ways.

“Thank you. I’ll return the favor by listening to you.”

We won't regret this.

“I’ll agree for now. You think maybe we could put you into one of the clones?”

I would have done it already if I was capable.

“I keep forgetting you’re like me but nicer.”

I don’t even want to be associated with you.

“Understandable.”

Me and me split into different directions and began flying towards the nearest prisons.

***

“Boss!”

“What!”

“The signal of the dream hunter has split into two and its power hasn’t dropped!”

“Fuck! Send all available units to kill it immediately! It’s abnormal even among anomalies!”

***

Within a realm separated yet still quite anchored to our own an elderly woman and an otherworldly beauty worthy of being equated to a goddess sat together.

“What is wrong, mother?”

“We’ve been fooled, another destroyer has been created.”

“Were we not destined to never have one again?”

“It was very likely that I saw that future because we all ceased to exist after this.”

“What shall we do?”

“I sense that the destroyer is in chaos, another mind lurks within his body. We must help it manifest. The destroyer will not accept someone like me by his side. It pains me to say this but of all of us you are the one with the strongest connection to him. I would not wish to send my dearest child into the grasp of a man like that but you are capable and your abilities will not fail you.”

“I understand.”

“I am sorry to force this task upon you, I have no other excuses for my incompetence.”

“We must do what is necessary to keep the world in peace.”

“My dearest, love is a mysterious and powerful force. You can use it as a weapon, a shield, or a prison. I know you will not believe me when I say this, but I foresee you falling for him. The outcome of which I do not know, but this is unavoidable. I wish for the world to be saved, but more than anything I wish for you to be happy. Sometimes I regret allowing this world to exist for so long but when I see you happy it is all worth it again. Go experience the world my dearest.”

“Yes mother.”

***

“Come home with me immediately Elaine, you are not safe here.”

“And I’ll be safer at home when we’re waging a war?”

“If you don’t come home immediately I’ll kill this lover of yours you’ve been living with.”

“He’s not my lover!”

“Don’t be ashamed, his smell is all over you. From what I can tell he’s quite powerful. At least you had enough sense to find someone strong enough to protect you.”

“Shut up! Let’s go home! You better not do anything to him!”

“Sure, I would never hurt my sister’s boyfriend.”

“Argh!”

***

Those exercises were unbearable, every second spent training made her want to die and every second spent resting made her want to die even more.

“Breaking News! A U.S Navy Ship has been found destroyed with no survivors. Authorities are looking into the situation but they have officially declared that it was not an enemy attack.”

Day by day the world was falling deeper into madness. The killer still hadn’t been caught, strange creatures were revealing themselves, and war was breaking out. No amount of training would make her capable of stopping all these disasters, at most she would be able to survive for slightly longer.

***

What happened? Why had everything gone black? Mary sat up and looked around. Where had that little girl gone?  Why hadn’t that man come home yet?

“So this is where you were being kept.”

“You’ve come to take me back?”

“We do not wish to claim a woman who has had her purity stolen by a weakling as one of our own but your grandfather has extended his grace to you.”

“Let's go then.”

“We must take back the man who has defiled our name.”

“Do as you please.”

This was bad! If they got their hands on him she would never get the chance to take his powers.

***

Boom!

The plan was simple, we would crash into the prison complexes while spewing flames and hope we killed everyone. Our focus here was speed so it would be okay to let a few people go. We had killed a couple thousand prisoners and the number of boys I was able to summon had jumped up to twenty-eight. Immediately after I had reached twenty I tried pulling out my reflection again and succeeded. Our strength rapidly skyrocketed and we only became faster with the increase in strength.

I couldn’t believe that there was nothing in this world stopping me from continuing to annihilate these prisons. Based off of the serpent I found there should have been numerous forces out there with the power to squash me like an ant. The only thing that was special about me was the clones and the speed of the chimeras. No… something was wrong. I kept being found by random people. It was like they could trace exactly where I was no matter where I went.

If I had to guess it was probably some method of tracking the abnormal energy source empowering me. There had to be some way to conceal myself… I didn’t know it though. That girl! I should go back home and ask her, for all I know they could be encircling me at this very moment. The other two clones continued their missions and I turned around and flew back towards home. With our ridiculous speed I was able to cross all of Los Angeles in an instant and drop down to my house.

“Hey Mary! I have a very important question for you.”

Silence… odd. Elaine would at least acknowledge my presence. Maybe I shouldn’t have left someone I kidnapped with someone else I kidnapped.

“Now’s not the time to be playing jokes! We have an extremely large problem on our hands!”

Whoosh!

Thump!

Why was I flying through my house? Ah fuck, my ribs hurt. I summoned all the boys and redirected the clones back to me. We activated our electrical fields and surrounded our bodies with electricity. Singularly it might not be enough to harm someone stronger than us but collectively all the amps and voltage focused on one person would kill them. We took flight and maintained a solid distance from the ground.

Below us I caught glimpses of white clothed figures darting around. I directed the boys to light the ground ablaze and maintained my distance. The flames weren’t fast enough to catch them but they weren’t able to touch us either. My body suddenly dodged to the side of its own accord and a black object pierced through the chimera I was riding on and past me.

Watch out dumbass, they have ranged weapons.

Contrary to what I expected, the flesh of the chimera began to reconnect itself immediately. Fuck it, we’ll just play the long game. The boys began rapidly shooting the little death machines from their tails. The little fuckheads began spraying webbing around and turning the ground into a sticky mess. Despite being faster than me the figures were not faster than my little minions. Unfortunately, the minions' scythes weren’t able to pierce through the armor that suddenly appeared on them. Fortunately the attacks of the minions sent them flying, except for a minor few who slapped the minions into paste.

The strength boost we had gotten from eating that freakishly strong soldier put us pretty close to them in terms of strength but in terms of everything but speed we were very far behind. It was probably due to their soul power being higher than mine. In simple terms we weren’t strong enough to cause any harm to them. Time for a tactic swap, I commanded all the minions to latch onto anyone they could and spray them with as much web as possible.

Burning the web would only make it worse because there was venom mixed within. It worked for a few of them but some of them managed to block the midgets with either elemental powers or powerful creatures. There was a very interesting creature among the assortment. Some kind of toxic gas emitting frog thing. Whatever it had was something we didn’t because every minion that went near it died. It was spraying poisonous smog into the air and annihilating quite a good chunk of my mini soldiers.

I had one of the boys try to push the fog away using air manipulation but there were no results. If we couldn’t resist its poison then maybe it couldn’t resist ours either. I had the minions sit back and spray acidic web towards the frog. The webs latched on and began slowly eating into the flesh of the frog. Its summoner sat on top of it in panic and scrambled around dodging the web. Another pretty cool bird thing had been freezing the minions and attacking the boys.

We had been able to resist by constantly spraying flames but I had no idea how long we could keep this up. I sent a few of the boys to latch onto the bird and release as much electricity and fire as they could while eating what they could. As soon as the boys latched on and shocked the bird they all plunged towards the ground. There were still a few elementalists and summoners left but I could take it slowly.

[Writers Notes - Massive power up incoming. Do you guys also find goody two shoes protagonists annoying? The only reason they ever succeed is because of plot armor. But you wanna know what I hate more than them?

People who aren’t actively trying to find solutions shutting down other suggestions, if you are so good at finding the flaws in my suggestions why don’t you spend some of that brainpower solving the problem then? Fucking cunts, so much negativity. At least I try to make the world a better place.

Hehe, sorry for late update. Internet issues.]

0