Chapter 1
997 8 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a bright, elegant room, a long-haired man wearing a pure white robe laid on the bed covered by thin, silk sheers. A painted screen blocked the bed from being seen through the entrance door, preventing any eyes to steal a glance at the delicate fairy.

A spacious couch and a desk were placed in front of the screen where the man would spend his days painting and writing calligraphy. Another table was placed on the side for his meals while the other side was lined with a shelf, a drawer, and a dressing table.

Amidst the silence, black wisps formed out of thin air. It rolled and whirled until a figure of a man clad in black appeared in the room.

He had slanted eyes that of a fox, glinting deceptively. His lips were naturally curved into a cunning smile that was capable of bewitching any being. He wore a black robe with his lapel opened, exposing his sculpted figure which had a complex black rune tattooed from his collar bone, past his chest, reaching until his navel.

On his head was a pair of sharp, long black horns.

The man’s steps lightly glided towards the man on the bed. Through the sheers, he stretched out his long, black claws onto the man’s chest.

Like a soft dough, he easily pierced into the man’s heart and retracted his hand back. Blood seeped onto the pure white fabric and gradually dyed half of the robe with a bright red colour.

A few minutes later, the bloodied man’s eyes fluttered open. His long eyelashes trembled and his toffee-coloured eyes were blank for a while.

His eyes were naturally narrow and it seemed as if he hadn’t opened his eyes yet. His eyebrows had a sharp angle which gave him a cold impression, quite the opposite of the horned man with playful eyebrows.

Once he was fully awakened, he frowned from the pain in his chest. He slowly sat up and clutched his chest in discomfort.

“Happy birthday, My Lord,” the horned man squatted down with a grin on his face. “Or should I say, happy rebirth day?”

Xue Lan looked at him up and down, “That’s your idea of proper clothing, Mo Shen?”

“That’s the first thing you said after returning back to life?” Mo Shen retorted.

“What?” Xue Lan crossed his legs and leaned to the headboard, looking at Mo Shen with a raised eyebrow. “Should I thank the god, make a shrine, and give offerings to show my gratitude?”

“Well, now, I may not be a god, but I won’t refuse such piety,” Mo Shen chuckled. He stood up and scooped Xue Lan from the bed, “Shall we clean you up, My Lord?”

Xue Lan let himself be carried out. It was just the beginning of spring and plum blossom trees bloomed throughout his courtyard. He used to enjoy painting them, but nothing seemed beautiful anymore in his eyes.

Mo Shen opened the bathroom door where a round tub filled with hot water was already prepared. It was spacious enough for 2 people and so he directly entered with Xue Lan in hand.

“What are you doing?” Xue Lan asked without any particular meaning as Mo Shen placed him to sit in front.

“Why? Can’t a demon take a bath?” Mo Shen touched the wound on Xue Lan’s chest.

The scar was forming the same pattern as his with a smaller scale. Once it healed later, they would have the same tattoo.

“I don’t remember having a bathtub this big,” Xue Lan relaxed his body and leaned on Mo Shen.

It was more comfortable than leaning onto the wooden edge, so he let the demon be.

“If I can’t do something so simple, am I still worthy to call myself a demon?” Mo Shen created a comb out of thin air and started brushing Xue Lan’s hair. “Still, I don’t understand why humans take baths with cold water.”

Xue Lan, “…I suppose you usually bathe in lava then.”

“That’s an option,” Mo Shen didn’t deny it. “I prefer sulfur though.”

“…”

Mo Shen used soap and shampoo to clean Xue Lan inside out. He didn’t like the odourless product and gave them a sensual scent of white flowers and wine.

Once they finished, Mo Shen wrapped Xue Lan in a towel and brought him back to his chamber to be dressed.

“Why do you only have plain white and blue robes?” Mo Shen pinched the robe between his fingers in distaste.

Xue Lan looked at his old robes. He didn’t think much of it before, but now that he looked at them, they were simply dull and plain. It was only slightly better than servant's clothes in terms of fabric.

No one respected him in this place. His country gave him to the emperor in exchange for a peace treaty after all. He was chosen since he was a prince with no actual power or influence.

The court didn’t want to give any of the 3 princesses since his country regarded women as treasures. Especially virgins.

Their life path was already determined.

While he was in thought, Mo Shen burned the cheap robes away with black flames, “Even low-born demons wouldn’t want to wear this.”

He went to grab the towel blanketing Xue Lan and pulled it off.

When Xue Lan was uncovered, he had unknowingly wore a majestic black and purple robe. The plum blossoms pattern on the outer black robe would glitter with gold every time sunlight fell upon him. His inner purple garments complemented the colour alluringly with golden flowers of the same type finely sewn on his lapel.

A purple jade pendant in the shape of their seal hung on the sash wrapping his slender waist. Its tassels were the finest of threads that softly swayed from his every move.

“Now this is befitting of my master,” Mo Shen nodded in satisfaction.

Xue Lan moved his body around, checking the robe. It looked like it had many layers, but it wasn’t heavy at all.

He sat down at the dressing table and Mo Shen styled his hair. The damp hair was instantly dried and Mo Shen created a silver headpiece to adorn and secure them.

Seeing himself in the mirror, Xue Lan felt like it had been a long time for him to see his own face so clearly. At this time, he hadn’t gone through any grievance and his complexion was still bright and healthy.

“By far,” Mo Shen leaned down to Xue Lan’s face and looked at him through his reflection with a pleased smirk, “you’re the most beautiful Master I served.”

“Is that supposed to be flattering?” Xue Lan picked up the paper fan on the table and spread it open.

This fan was one of his favourite creations where he painted the pale wisterias’ on his former courtyard back in his home country.

With a touch from Mo Shen’s fingertip, the fan was dyed in black with the wisterias’ changing into a vivid purple. It now matched Xue Lan’s robes.

Xue Lan closed the fan and tapped Mo Shen’s chest with it, “Fix your clothes as well.”

Mo Shen reached out and lowered his palm onto Xue Lan’s eyes.

When it passed down, Xue Lan saw that Mo Shen’s horns were gone and he had changed into similar clothing to him though a much downgraded version. With his face, anything he wore looked charming.

“Aren’t you going to compliment me, My Lord?” Mo Shen offered his hand.

Xue Lan stood up with Mo Shen’s support, “No, not really.”

Mo Shen only chuckled.

Xue Lan walked out with Mo Shen to his treasury. To call it a treasury would be an exaggeration since he barely had anything inside.

He went to a particular chest and Mo Shen opened it for him. With the edge of his fan, he took out a piece of jade bracelet from it.

10 minutes later, Xue Lan’s courtyard was suddenly intruded on by 6 guards. 5 of them spread out while the leader impolitely opened Xue Lan’s chamber to announce his arrival.

But once he saw the man inside, his words got stuck in his throat.

Xue Lan’s hand was moving the brush fluently on the piece of paper. His back was straight with dignity and his aura was clearly different from the other consorts in the harem. His noble background couldn’t be concealed even from commoners' eyes.

When his sharp, narrow eyes glanced up at the guard, the other unconsciously stiffened.

“What seems to be the matter that can justify your impudent action in my courtyard this early in the morning?” Xue Lan calmly put down his brush.

The guard swallowed his saliva and quickly changed his attitude. He saluted Xue Lan with a slight fear, “Consort Yu believed that somebody stole her jade bracelet which was a gift from His Majesty. A maid claimed that she heard Honorable Consort Xue is coveting it. You are summoned by His Majesty to testify.”

35