Chapter 3
643 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, the imperial harem was in commotion. Many of them lost their valuables in their courtyard. What they lost were all their personal gifts given to them by the Emperor.

Bracelets, hairpins, pendants, brushes, books, and other different items were gone. Those who had more than one item lost all of them.

The Imperial Consort, the one who was in charge of keeping order in the harem, could only report this incident to the Emperor. Even she and the Empress also lost a number of their treasures.

With Yu Chunhua’s incitement, all of them gradually believed that it was Xue Lan who stole their things. This had never happened before and it suddenly did after Xue Lan moved into the palace.

And thus, he was searched and summoned again. The same guard couldn’t help but feel embarrassed when Xue Lan stared at him with incredulity.

In the court, aside from the initial participants, there were now the Empress, Huang Xieli, and the Imperial Consort, Nie Hui. Yu Chunhua was there as the representative of other consorts and the first person who was involved in the thievery chain.

Xue Lan patiently answered every question and recounted his day yesterday until the very minute. The guard was sent away to check the truth of Xue Lan’s claims.

There was no flaw.

Even his attendant’s alibi was there since he was by Xue Lan’s side 24/7.

“If I may be so bold, Your Majesty, might I ask a question to Guard Li?” Xue Lan asked.

Tian Chen gave a nod.

Xue Lan turned to Li Feng, “Guard Li, in regard to Consort Yu’s jade bracelet, has it not been found yet?”

Li Feng shook his head and politely replied, “No, Honorable Consort Xue. We have searched every courtyard with no result.”

“Then, have you searched it in Consort Yu’s own courtyard as well?”

Li Feng was puzzled, but he answered honestly, “No, we have not.”

“What are you trying to say, Honorable Consort Xue? Are you saying that I lied?” Yu Chunhua stepped forward.

“No, surely not. As far as I am aware of, it has no benefit in any aspect for you to lie of such a matter,” Xue Lan tapped his fan onto his chin. “You even risk losing His Majesty’s favour from how much you adore his gift.”

Yu Chunhua’s face turned colourful. She was stopped by Nie Hui with a reprimanding look, reminding her that she was in front of the Emperor. She couldn’t make the same mistake twice.

This person was definitely provoking her on purpose.

“What I am trying to convey is that it is not impossible for Consort Yu to simply misplace the bracelet. From what I infer, I believe that Consort Yu wear the bracelet as a daily accessory. I also recall seeing the bracelet Guard Li described on Consort Yu’s wrist before she lost it,” Xue Lan glanced at Yu Chunhua’s maid. “Does Consort Yu sleep with her accessories on?”

“…No, Honorable Consort Xue,” the maid hesitantly answered.

“Honorable Consort Xue, I do not see any relevance between that and this matter,” Huang Xieli spoke up. “Or are you implying that all the victims of this thievery misplaced His Majesty’s gift?”

“Answering to Your Majesty, no, I do not imply as such,” Xue Lan put one hand behind his back as he flicked open his fan. “I merely think that, concerning the timing, Consort Yu’s case is not of relevance to the rest. If that is so, the imperial guards will be confused by irrelevant clues in their search for the thief. Is it not best to clarify this matter as soon as possible?”

Li Feng thought it was reasonable and knelt down to Tian Chen, “This subject agrees with Honorable Consort Xue. This subject requests to help search for Consort Yu’s bracelet in her residence.”

Tian Chen thought for a while and gave the permission.

Xue Lan discreetly peered at Yu Chunhua. The other was confirming something to her handmaid with a look. Her face was faintly tense, but it seemed like she was sure that the bracelet wasn’t in her residence.

After waiting for 30 minutes, Li Feng returned with a solemn look. He presented Yu Chunhua’s bracelet for everyone to see. It was the same bracelet Li Feng described to Xue Lan previously.

Yu Chunhua’s eyes visibly widened.

“We found this bracelet slipped behind the cabinet in Consort Yu’s chamber,” Li Feng announced. “Also…”

6 guards entered the hall. 2 of them brought 2 chests with them while among the 4, a pair of them roughly dragged in another pair and pressed them to the ground in a kneeling position.

When the 2 chests were opened, they revealed the items that were stolen from other consorts and concubines in the palace.

“We also found these hidden inside a detachable wooden floorboard in Consort Yu’s treasury. They match the list of stolen items Imperial Consort Nie submitted,” Li Feng elaborated. “These 2 guards were bribed to steal them while we conduct the search for Consort Yu’s bracelet.”

All eyes in the hall fell onto Yu Chunhua.

Her mind was numb and she hurriedly knelt down, “This consort begs Your Majesty’s wisdom and justice! The real thief framed me for their crime! I will never–”

“There is no need for a further excuse,” Nie Hui coolly said. “Consort Yu, if my memory serves me right, I believe the hairpin you are wearing at this very moment is also a gift from His Majesty for your great service last winter?”

Yu Chunhua’s pupils shook. She wore it regularly and didn’t realise that it was indeed the only gift left that didn’t get stolen by the thief.

“This–”

“I have been wondering this whole time as to why it does not get stolen. I was afraid that I remembered wrongly, but your reaction proved me correct,” Nie Hui continued.

“You are slandering an innocent person! I do not have any motive to–”

“Consort Yu, you thought that the thief is in the harem who are jealous of your favour and possession, am I wrong?” Xue Lan calmly intervened. “Since you were unable to catch them, you decided to just exact revenge in the same manner on all of them, no?”

Yu Chunhua looked at Xue Lan indignantly, “It's you, isn’t it!? You keep accusing me of things and you’re the one who–”

“Silence!” Tian Chen slammed his armrest impatiently. “Guards, take her away. We do not need a thief hiding their tail in Our harem. Punish her with 10 lashes for each item she stole and cut off her accomplices’ hands.”

The evidence was concrete, the people involved confessed, and the perpetrator had the motive. With Tian Chen’s order, the guards on standby inside the hall promptly seized her and her handmaid.

Yu Chunhua screamed and begged Tian Chen for justice while the other people involved struggled to break free.

Xue Lan watched the pitiful scene which overlapped with his past memory.

At that time, he was clueless from beginning to end, not knowing why he was punished for something he didn’t do. His back bled endlessly with each whip cut deep into his skin.

If it wasn’t for that teenager’s help, his back would’ve certainly festered.

Yu Chunhua was as good as dead.

Xue Lan saluted Tian Chen, “This subject is feeling rather unwell from missing breakfast 2 days in a row. Your Majesty, may this subject retreat to his residence to rest?”

“You have been wronged, Honorable Consort Xue. The Imperial Chef shall prepare your lunch for the day,” Tian Chen waved his hand. “You may leave.”

“This subject thanks Your Majesty for your care,” Xue Lan spoke in a grateful tone.

He nodded to Nie Hui and Huang Xieli before turning his heels. Mo Shen was already by his side offering his arm.

With that, the pair gracefully left.

They passed by the training ground where Yu Chunhua’s upper body was being constrained to a long table. When the first lash whipped her back, her cry pierced the air. One by one, other consorts and concubines appeared to watch.

They all cursed and mocked Yu Chunhua. There weren’t a few of them who got bullied by Yu Chunhua in the past. Some even got their rank demoted because of her plots. If it wasn’t for the guards being there, they would have already thrown rocks at her.

“Too noisy,” Mo Shen led Xue Lan away. “She cries like a pig.”

“Don’t insult the pigs,” Xue Lan replied like a breeze, as if he was softly scolding a child.

Mo Shen gave a low chuckle, “Excuse me for that.”

Xue Lan gazed up at the sky, “It’s a nice weather for something sweet.”

“Then, shall I prepare paprika rice cake, My Lord?” Mo Shen smiled.

Xue Lan,  “…”

How could that be the first thing that popped out in his head?

In the end, he couldn’t stop Mo Shen from making it.

32