Chapter 2
741 10 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I understand,” Xue Lan stood up and called out. “Mo Shen.”

The guard saw someone coming with a tray of food from his left. He guessed that it must be Xue Lan’s new attendant because he hadn’t had any yet since his arrival 2 weeks ago.

He never met a servant so pleasing to the eyes. His features didn’t seem to fit into the Emperor’s aesthetic for a male though, so he should be fine.

Mo Shen put down the tray and let Xue Lan use his arm as support in return.

When the guards all gathered back, their eyes couldn’t help but steal some glances at the pair. Their visuals were difficult to look away from.

The leader asked them with a look and all 5 of them shook their heads.

Xue Lan didn’t spare them a glance as he continued heading toward the court.

In the court, Consort Yu, Yu Chunhua, had been waiting since she requested the audience of the Emperor, Tian Chen. By her side were her handmaid and the maid who claimed that she overheard Xue Lan’s coveting thoughts.

Once they heard the door open, their attention was shifted to the entrance. When they saw Xue Lan’s majestic figure entering, they forgot to breathe for a split second.

Mo Shen escorted Xue Lan to the front before silently retreating to the side.

Xue Lan humbly bowed and saluted together with the leader of the guards who searched his place. Inwardly, he didn’t have an ounce of respect for the accursed son of heaven.

“This subject greets Your Majesty,” he and the guard said at the same time.

“Rise,” Tian Chen’s deep, commanding voice resounded in the hall. “Did you find Our beloved consort’s bracelet?”

“Answering Your Majesty, we did not discover the aforementioned jade bracelet in Honorable Consort Xue’s courtyard,” the guard answered.

The three ladies in the room were stunned. Fortunately, they managed to control their expression.

Tian Chen looked at Xue Lan, “This maid claimed that you are coveting the gift We gave to Consort Yu and now her bracelet, a sign of Our favour, is stolen. Honourable Consort Xue, do you have any explanation on this matter?”

“Answering Your Majesty, this subject has no memory of having such desire. Regardless of my current status, this subject is not so poor as to not be able to buy his own jewellery. This subject is also a man which clearly has a different aesthetic than a woman,” Xue Lan flatly said. “With the role given to me in this palace, would this subject risk his country for one insignificant bracelet?”

“Honorable Consort Xue, although it is insignificant in your eyes, it is a very important gift for this lowly consort,” Yu Chunhua smiled meaningfully. “Or are you saying that gifts from His Majesty are insignificant?”

“Compared to my country? Yes, they are,” Xue Lan fearlessly said. “If you were in my position, Consort Yu, would you steal a bracelet in exchange for your country? That sounds quite retarded, is it not?”

“Reta–!?” Yu Chunhua was shocked by Xue Lan’s words and felt offended. “Are you saying that–”

Xue Lan flicked open his fan and smoothly cut her off, “It has only been two weeks since I arrived in the palace. I have not yet familiar with each and every one of you. How could I be aware of the existence of such a bracelet?”

“Enough,” Tian Chen stopped Yu Chunhua from insisting further. He stood up and looked down at the guard, “Assist Consort Yu in finding her bracelet and punish the thief with 10 lashes. You are dismissed.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” the guard saluted and retired.

“Consort Yu, do not come to Us with little to no evidence. You have wasted Our time. Compensate Honorable Consort Xue with 200 silvers for your mistake. You are dismissed.”

Yu Chunhua paled and quickly saluted, “This subject thank Your Majesty for your invaluable time and mercy.”

She immediately left with the maids.

Tian Chen slowly walked down, “Honorable Consort Xue, We see that you have picked an attendant.”

When he was a few steps away from Xue Lan, he could smell a sweet, arousing fragrance wafting from the man. He held his hands on his back thoughtfully.

“Yes, Your Majesty. This subject encountered this servant when he bought his new garments in the city,” Xue Lan answered.

All male consorts had a lower status than female consorts even if they had a higher title than the latter. They couldn’t give birth and were only chosen to entertain the Emperor when they were called for it.

The only difference they had with courtesans was their wealth and having the Emperor’s favour. Average people couldn’t touch or mess with them. Not even concubines and officials.

Although ‘consort’ was a degrading title for males unlike females, many men still wanted to gain it. Moreover, they were still allowed to visit the city and had a higher degree of freedom than female consorts.

High-ranking families who only had sons in their household didn’t hesitate to offer them to the Emperor in return for his favour.

Currently, Xue Lan was the first male to have the title Honorable Consort. It was one of the agreements with his country. A prince becoming a consort was already humiliating enough. They demanded the Emperor to at least spare him a degree of honour in the harem.

It wasn’t because they care about him though. He was a symbol and a representative of his country right now. They would lose face and dignity if he only had a low status here.

Might as well just continue the war.

“Your new garment suits you well,” Tian Chen said in approval but then added, “though We prefer Our beloved consorts to wear brighter colours.”

Xue Lan hid the lower half of his face as he bowed, “This subject will take that in mind.”

“You are dismissed,” Tian Chen prompted before leaving first through the back door.

Xue Lan maintained his posture until Tian Chen disappeared from the hall. He straightened his back and his eyes cooled down.

Mo Shen appeared by his side and naturally took his hand, “The so-called Son of Heaven, huh? I don’t see anything special about him.”

He led Xue Lan forward, up to the throne.

“His thirst for beauty is indeed heavenly appalling,” Xue Lan sat down on the throne languidly.

Looking at the view from above, he could understand where Tian Chen’s arrogance and selfishness came from.

“Seducing him in bed will surely be effective,” Mo Shen pinched a lock of Xue Lan’s hair.

His claws were already retracted and changed into normal human nails.

“I won’t let him touch a hair on my body,” Xue Lan looked up at Mo Shen, “and you won’t either.”

“Yes, My Lord,” Mo Shen kissed the hair between his fingers and let it slide off.

“I suppose you are not that different from him in regard to beauty,” Xue Lan stood up.

“It is very offensive to compare me with such a tasteless human,” Mo Shen guided Tian Chen down. “I don’t just pick anyone with a decent face. The fact that he fancies that swine of a woman from before spoke enough for his low standard. He can’t even appreciate your beauty properly.”

The two of them left the audience hall and strolled out.

“Then, what do you say your high standard is?” Xue Lan decided to cater to their conversation.

“A true beauty is pleasing both inside and out. I must say, my first master was such a disgrace that I chose to endure the backlash from breaking the contract to kill him. May he be damned.”

“That is truly an informative story,” Xue Lan kept it in mind.

They reached the small linking bridge to the pavilion. The palace grounds had more than 5 pavilions of different sizes. This one was a medium-sized one built in the middle of the pond. From there, one could watch the koi fishes swim around under the clear water while enjoying the soft rustle of the trees around the pond.

Xue Lan sat inside. He leaned onto the railing as he gazed down onto the water.

Mo Shen promptly left.

He closed his eyes and enjoyed the breeze sweeping by from time to time.

A moment later, there was a faint noise from in front of him. Thinking it was Mo Shen, he opened his eyes to see he was wrong.

The teenager was flustered seeing the mysterious man was awake and quickly ran away.

Xue Lan, “…”

Mo Shen appeared not long after the teenager’s departure with 2 trays of dishes. He placed them down on the table.

“You know him, My Lord?” he asked, seemingly out of nowhere.

But Xue Lan knew who he was talking about, “Not enough. I owe him, that's all.”

Mo Shen set the dishes in one swift motion and poured the water into the cup.

Xue Lan picked up the chopsticks and tried a bite of one of the dishes.

…It was spicy.

35