Chapter 25
398 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xue Lan was invited to the banquet by Tian Chen the next day. Mo Shen informed him that the convoy from Qi Ming had already arrived but was subtly forbidden to meet him by Tian Chen.

The dinner banquet started at sundown in the palace’s banquet hall. It was a spacious building that could fill more than 200 people inside. The high ceiling was supported by tall pillars left and right, currently decorated by red lanterns and autumn flowers.

A circular platform was at the centre, surrounded by tables a distance away from it, for performers to entertain the guests while they ate. The Emperor’s seat was on the highest platform at the very front which able him to overlook everything from above.

Important individuals of the country were there such as the ministers, generals, and high-ranking officials. Other than Qi Ming, representatives from allied countries were invited as well.

Mo Shen very majestically went overboard on making Xue Lan’s robe that the latter refused to go along with it for the first time.

In the end, Mo Shen settled on its downgraded design.

Without the pearls.

And the jewellery.

Still, when Xue Lan entered, all eyes were inevitably on him. Not only because of his noble visual, the topic of him had been frequently discussed for a while that it was difficult to ignore his existence.

Qi Ming sent their crown prince and a council member to be their representative. Xue Lan should’ve shown his respect to them, but he bypassed their table and went straight to his own.

Tian Chen gave him the honour to sit on the second highest platform. It was where the Empress and Queen Dowager normally sat.

Tian Chen’s mother was already dead a long time ago and the former Queen Dowager was killed by Tian Chen himself.

Now, the table was given to Xue Lan.

It wasn’t only a matter of table position anymore. Tian Chen was subtly telling everyone who came that Xue Lan’s position, whether in his heart or the palace itself, was even higher than the Empress.

Xiao Hu also came with him this time and with the huge tiger by his side, one would think thrice before provoking him.

Xue Lan cast his gaze down to meet with Xue Nian’s eyes.

Xue Nian, the first prince and, unavoidably, the crown prince. Every prince and princess was under his command and weren’t allowed to disobey him. His order was only second to the King.

Next to him was Jiang Wei, the Third Councilor. In Qi Ming, the council helped the King in making decisions in court. They were personally chosen by the King himself as the people he trusted the most.

They were technically his advisors but had a higher authority than a normal advisor like in Qian Jin. In the case where the King was unable to perform his duty, the responsibility would fall to their hands.

There were 5 members in the council and each had 2 ministers answering to them. The Third Councilor was in charge of defence and public safety. Jiang Wei was a former general, perfect for the job.

These two who stood above all others except the King lived their lives being bowed upon their presence. They certainly couldn’t accept Xue Lan’s provocation.

“Fifth Prince, it has been quite a while since your departure from Qi Ming. Have you already forgotten who we are?” Jiang Wei feigned politeness.

“Third Councilor must be jesting. How can I forget such important members of our nation?” Xue Lan calmly replied.

“Then, I suppose you were rather blind in your steps,” Xue Nian was looking up to Xue Lan, but his eyes were no less condescending. “Pay us your respect and sit on the ground. Only our King is allowed to sit higher than us.”

Xiao Hu tensed down his body and growled at them in threat. Jiang Wei was faintly deterred but Xue Nian didn’t flinch the slightest.

“That is a rather controversial statement you have just spoken, Your Highness,” Mo Shen’s lips curved into an incomprehensible smile. “Does that not mean that His Majesty the Emperor is also unallowed to sit higher than you?”

Xue Nian heard the chattering around them was diminishing. All eyes were discreetly or blatantly observing them, waiting for their answer.

It was clear that they had been eavesdropping on their conversation the whole time.

“People of Qi Ming are as arrogant as always. Even the historians said so,” one of them whispered.

“Their land is indeed wide for a single nation, but what makes them believe that they are better than the Great Qian Jin?” another added.

“Why did the Emperor agree to their peace treaty? His Majesty is too merciful.”

“Qi Ming exchanged it with Qian Jin’s soldiers who were held as war prisoners and a prince of their own.”

“The Honorable Prince is truly pitiful. He sacrificed his dignity for the sake of his country and this is how they treated him? No wonder he submitted to the Emperor. He must be enamoured by His Majesty’s kindness and magnanimity.”

The whispers continued, praising the Emperor and sneering at Qi Ming. Xue Nian and Jiang Wei could only back away for now, giving Xue Lan a warning glance.

People finally stopped their chattering when the eunuchs announced Tian Chen’s arrival.

Tian Chen entered with Huang Xieli by his side. The guests and everyone inside knelt down to him in respect, blessing him with eternal life.

When he passed by Xue Nian and Jiang Wei, he side-glanced them with his deep eyes. These were the people who caused Xue Lan’s suffering and distress.

Once they were gone along with their nation, Xue Lan wouldn’t have any reason to deny him and himself again.

His expression softened towards Xue Lan and he walked up to his seat.

Huang Xieli sat on the same level as Xue Lan by Tian Chen’s left. She could only swallow down her dissatisfaction and humiliation of having a mere prince positioned higher than her.

If it wasn’t for her role, he doubted that Tian Chen would invite her to the banquet at all. He hadn’t touched her ever since that day Xue Lan accompanied him stroll in the garden.

Tian Chen prompted the people to rise and sit at their table. The head eunuch conveyed the Emperor’s words as a brief opening before officially starting the banquet.

Servants entered the hall, bringing food and drinks. Along with them were the first batch of concubines who would perform the opening dance.

The consort who was in charge of the music started the first song, leading 3 other concubines who played different instruments.

Xue Lan patted Xiao Hu, signalling him to go to Tian Chen’s side. He had to maintain his image as the divine beast of Qian Jin country to stay in the palace after all.

Xiao Hu reluctantly laid beside Tian Chen’s table.

The guests gradually became lively again. They chatted with one another, talked to Tian Chen over light topics, and gave him toasts over the matters he successfully resolved over the year.

They hoped that the dam and waterway construction for the newly founded water source would progress smoothly.

Previously, they only had one water source for the entire country and it was barely sufficient to fulfil all the people’s needs. Now, they wouldn’t need to worry when the next summer came.

“My Lord, what would you like to drink?” Mo Shen knelt down next to him with the jug of wine.

Xue Lan faintly raised his eyebrows in interest.

Mo Shen smirked and swirled the water in the jug. Not long after, the clear wine turned into an alluring dark purple.

“Care to try some grape wine? I’ve lowered the alcohol content for you,” Mo Shen poured a little into Xue Lan’s cup. “I believe you’ll quite like it.”

Xue Lan took a sip and savoured it, “It’s sweet.”

“Not that different from grape juice, no?”

Xue Lan nodded.

Tian Chen’s knuckles turned white from watching their intimacy. Li Feng who was standing guard behind him could hear a low crack from his cup.

Li Feng gulped nervously.

To exert such patience, it was both remarkable and terrifying. He didn’t know whether to pity the Emperor or the Honorable Prince.

Once the Emperor ran out of patience, he would definitely use all his might to make Xue Lan his. Even if it meant becoming a villain in Xue Lan’s view.

The two people in the problem were of course aware of the chaos they were brewing. Hearing Mo Shen’s chuckle, Xue Lan slapped his shoulder lightly with his fan.

“They’re making their move, My Lord,” Mo Shen whispered.

“Let them,” Xue Lan covered his mouth with his fan. “They can do the hard work for us.”

“Certainly,” Mo Shen grinned.

As everyone was enjoying their time, Jiang Wei suddenly got up from his seat and saluted Tian Chen.

Xue Lan knew this person was about to pit him.

22